Start by marking “Woman on the Edge” as Want to Read:
Woman on the Edge

Woman on the Edge

A moment on the subway platform changes two women’s lives forever—a debut thriller that will take your breath away.

A total stranger on the subway platform whispers, “Take my baby.”

She places her child in your arms. She says your name.

Then she jumps...

Expected publication: November 26th 2019 by Simon Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Woman on the Edge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Woman on the Edge

Start your review of Woman on the Edge
Mary Kubica
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One woman’s struggles with motherhood and another’s desperate desire to be a mother collide in this explosive and frenetic debut. WOMAN ON THE EDGE is a white-knuckle read that welcomes a bright new talent to the world of psychological suspense.
Carolyn
*2.5* Stars.
I wish to thank NetGalley and Simon & Schuster for the ARC for Woman On the Edge in return for an honest review. This was an intense psychological thriller and Samantha M. Bailey’s debut novel. She displays talent in developing a compelling premise and a twisty plot.

I failed to empathize with the flawed characters with their past secrets, tragedies, and regrets. As the twists developed, I found some of the reveals strained for credibility. An underlying menace undermined the c
Nicki
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Woman On The Edge is the gripping,enthralling story of two emotionally flawed women who it seems fate has decided to throw together in a heart breaking,shocking encounter that results in one of them being dead and the other having to fight to prove that she is neither a child abductor or a murderer.

Nicole Markham has a charmed life,she is beautiful,is CEO of her own clothing company,has a handsome loving husband and is the mother of a gorgeous seven week old daughter. So what would m
Christina McDonald
Exhilarating and evocative with a palpable sense of tension throughout, Woman on the Edge had me gripped from the very first page. This is one of those books that effortlessly ticks all the boxes: wonderful word building, realistic characters and a gripping plot that made me keep flipping the pages.

On a platform in Chicago, Morgan’s life is changed forever when a stranger hands her a baby, then jumps in front of an oncoming train. But Morgan quickly becomes entwined with the story wh
Kimberly Belle
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Woman on the Edge opens with an ingenious setup: a woman on the subway hands her baby to a total stranger, then jumps in front of an oncoming train. But were they really strangers, and did she really jump? Suspicions swirl in this propulsive debut, and the truth is revealed in twisty, page-turning increments that culminate in a whopper of an ending. A clever and addictive read from a bright new talent.
Laurie • The Baking Bookworm
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: ehbooklover, margaret, laura
4.5 STARS - This compelling and intriguing premise will snag readers from the get-go. A woman suddenly hands her baby to an unsuspecting woman, seconds before she jumps in front of the train. Say wha?! This emotional and shocking scene is just the start of the suspenseful and impressive debut novel of Canadian author Samantha M. Bailey.

Within her a compulsive and twisty plot, Bailey incorporates the struggles of new motherhood, mental illness with believably flawed, yet resilient fem
Zoe
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Feverish, intense, and engrossing!

Full review to follow shortly.
Paula DeBoard
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a lucky reader indeed to have received an advance copy of this book.

Bailey's debut has just what I look for in a thriller: a gripping plot, palpable tension and characters pushed ever closer to the brink. If you like strong female characters (um, who doesn't like strong female characters?), you'll find that here, as well as some thought-provoking material on what society expects from new mothers at home and at work.

I could have read this in a single day, it moved that fast and kept me that
Eileen Goudge
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A gripping domestic thriller that grabs hold on page one and keeps up the pacing, and keeps you guessing, until the end. An exiting debut for this author who’s new to the thriller genre. I look forward to reading more books by her.
Hannah Mary McKinnon
One word: Exhilarating! Woman on the Edge was impossible to put down as the twisty thrills kept on coming - and kept me guessing - leaving me breathless. Fans of Shari Lapena will no doubt gobble this one up in a heartbeat.
Andrea Pole
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Woman on the Edge by Samantha M. Bailey is a fast-paced thriller that is a most impressive debut from an exciting new voice. I was pulled in immediately and was virtually propelled through a well executed and utterly compelling storyline. I felt fully invested in the stories of both Morgan and Nicole from the very start, and was tearing through the pages to find answers.

Morgan Kincaid is standing on a train platform in Chicago when a woman approaches, hands her baby to Morgan, asking
Liz Fenton
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Samantha M. Bailey’s highly anticipated debut Woman On The Edge grips you from its first line. Quick-paced with roller coaster-like twists and turns, Woman On The Edge is a thrilling story of two women whose lives, in one brief moment, are forever changed. You’ll be breathless as you tear through the final pages. Loved it!
Daniela Petrova
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A knockout premise, breakneck pacing and a twisty plot with two strong women at its core make Woman on the Edge irresistible. I read it in one sitting, absolutely riveted by this propulsive tale of motherhood, loss and betrayal. A must-read for thriller lovers.
Sonja Yoerg
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zoom, suspensy
With the narrative acceleration of a runaway train, Woman on the Edge kept me at the edge of my seat for its entire zigzagging ride; I had to remind myself to breathe. Bailey’s confident prose and dark satire (‘Namaste’ indeed!) enrich the ingenious plot, and her authentic characters—whether damaged, yearning, or downright diabolical—make this compulsory reading for fans of suspense. An exceptional debut!
Josie Brown
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this book (read it pre-release). One of my favorites of the year.

Every mother’s worst nightmare comes to life in this taut, razor-sharp thriller. Bailey’s genius is in her story’s structure. By alternating the voices of two narrators—a new mother driven to the edge of insanity and a woman crawling out of the emotional abyss of her devastated life—gruesome clues reveal the sinister events that led one to abandon her infant in the arms of the other before ending her life.

Crack
Diane Merritt
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thought this was a good but not great or unputdownable, but made you want to know what was going to happen. Not a book that will stick in my mind but worth the read.
Sonica
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
SYNOPSIS:
A total stranger on the subway platform whispers, “Take my baby.”

She places her child in your arms. She says your name.

Then she jumps...

In a split second, Morgan Kincaid’s life changes forever. She’s on her way home from work when a mother begs her to take her baby, then places the infant in her arms. Before Morgan can stop her, the distraught mother jumps in front of an oncoming train.

Morgan has never seen this woman before, and she
Booksandchinooks (Laurie)
Thank you to Simon and Schuster Canada and Samantha Bailey for my free review copy. I was so excited to receive this book as I couldn’t wait to read it!! Morgan’s life is turned upside down when a stranger hands her baby over to her on the subway platform and then jumps. Her last words were for Morgan to take care of the baby. After all the initial confusion starts to settle down Morgan realizes the woman spoke to her by name. Who is this woman and how did she pick Morgan? It turns out the woman ...more
Jojo
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one had me hooked immediately! The back and forth between protagonists had me wondering if either of them were reliable, but also questioning everyone else too. I did quickly figure out the villain, but not the motive. A fast paced, engrossing read!!
Lori Spielman
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A captivating thriller of the highest order, Woman on the Edge sizzles with fast and furious plot lines and unrelenting suspense, creating a blissfully crazy ride. Bailey masterfully spins a chilling tale of deceit and duplicity that will have you guessing until the very end. Filled with unexpected twists, tight prose, and penetrating characters, this nerve-wracking novel is unputdownable! A stunning, heart-pounding debut that heralds the arrival of an immensely talented author.
Lydia Laceby
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A special book is one that sticks with you long after you've devoured the last pages, and Woman on the Edge is that book. Add this. Read it. Devour it. Never forget it.
Bridget
If your favoured reading material is a novel with a good sprinkling of shocks, thrills, darkness, danger, paranoia, suspense, secrets, drama and regrets then feel at liberty to read Samantha M. Bailey's début offering - Woman on the Edge.

Psychological thrillers do not come any more exciting and heartbreaking than Woman on the Edge which was an intense, sad and nerve-twisting exploration of a shocking incident and series of events. It disturbed, scared and beguiled me as nothing was q
Brenda
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Morgan's already had a lifetime of tragedy and infamy thanks to her husband, Ryan Galloway. He committed suicide after defrauding investors of their life savings, including her family and friends, and has left her to face the consequences. As a social worker at Haven House, Morgan works with women in distress. A homeless woman tosses a baby into Morgan's arms at the subway station and then falls into the path of a train, As the truth comes out about the mother and child, Morgan becomes the prime ...more
Erika
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Netgalley and Headline for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

On a train platform, a disheveled looking woman, Nicole, hands her young daughter to Morgan, a stranger, asks her to love her baby and then jumps in front of the train. Morgan doesn’t know the woman or why she would have handed off her baby before committing suicide. The story follows current day with Morgan and the weeks leading up to Nicole’s actions.

3.5 stars.

I liked th
Samantha Downing
Woman on the Edge begins with a shocking, tragic event and doesn’t stop there. Samantha M. Bailey has written an impressive debut that will keep you reading until the final twist.
Hope
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed my reading experience with "Woman on the Edge." It was all the things I love in a great thriller - harrowing tension, psychological mistrust, family intrigue, a past that affects the present, and an unreliable narrator. It was full of conflict and twists, and action and intrigue that had me turning the pages non-stop! I almost finished it in one sitting except that it got really late and I passed out! This was a really quick intense read.

New mother Nicole, tortured b
Hope
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

New mother Nicole, tortured b
Girl Well Read
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, reviewed
A special thank you to NetGalley and Simon & Schuster Canada for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

On a subway platform in Chicago, Morgan Kincaid’s life is changed forever when a stranger hands her a baby, then jumps in front of an oncoming train. Morgan can't understand why someone would give their child to a complete stranger and take their own life.

Unfortunately, Morgan's involvement runs deeper when she's considered a suspect in the death of the woman. But
Gia
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Imagine waiting for the subway home, lost in thought.

Suddenly, an unkempt complete stranger says your name and thrusts an impeccably taken care of baby in your arms, then jumps.

Heavy-hearted, demure, Morgan Kincaid, is living in the shadow of her embezzling husband’s suicide. Full of shame, guilt, regret - getting through each day for her, is a struggle. But Morgan’s life is about to explode in the most unimaginable way.

The confident, uber-successful CEO of her own compa
Hayley
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, thriller
This thriller was very intense and it played out just like a movie would have. The characters were very compelling and I had to keep reading to try to figure out what was going to happen to them. The book starts out with our main character being thrust a baby right before the woman in front of her takes her own life by jumping in front of a train. Now Morgan must figure out what is going on. Who was that woman? Why did she kill herself? And what is going to happen to this infant that is now in h ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Unfollow Me
  • The Other Daughter
  • I Will Make You Pay
  • The Secrets He Kept: A suspenseful, gripping psychological thriller with a nail-biting ending
  • The Liar's Sister
  • When She Returned
  • The Woman Upstairs
  • Single
  • Close to You
Samantha M. Bailey is a Toronto-based novelist, freelance editor, and journalist who has written extensively for Now Magazine, Oxford University Press, and many other publications. She is the co-founder of “BookBuzz,” a promotional and interactive author event held in New York City and Toronto. She holds a Master of Education in Applied Linguistics and credits that degree with her writing career b ...more