Start by marking “Please See Us” as Want to Read:
Please See Us

Please See Us

In this sophisticated, suspenseful debut reminiscent of Laura Lippman and Chloe Benjamin, two young women become unlikely friends during one fateful summer in Atlantic City as mysterious disappearances hit dangerously close to home.

Summer has come to Atlantic City but the boardwalk is empty of tourists, the casino lights have dimmed, and two Jane Does are laid out in the
Expected publication: March 3rd 2020 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about Please See Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Please See Us

Start your review of Please See Us
Chelsea Humphrey
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Chelsea by: Gallery Books
Shelves: from-publisher
"The world was always conspiring to make young women vulnerable while labeling it as "fun." Made it seem like we were in control, like we were making all the choices, and then it was our fault when things went wrong. Us and our short skirts, our makeup, our taste for rum, for liking the things we were told to like, wanting what we were told to want."

WHAT A DEBUT NOVEL!

Friends, I have been so skeptical, and possibly jaded, toward psychological suspense in the year of our Lord 2019, but my
Nilufer Ozmekik
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Four realistic, heart wrenching, in the love of crime thriller Gods stars!

I can hear “Drifters” song playing in my head: “Under the Boardwalk down by the sea”, sea breeze on your face, sea gulls take their random tours on the air, people passing around, walking aimless, some of them dealing with their own daily troubles and cannot even see what’s happening in front of their eyes. But now those boardwalks are empty! There is something eerie, terrifying about this abandoned, empty please. You want
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
***GRAB THIS THRILLER IN MARCH, IT'S A STUNNER***

I’m stunned that this is a debut novel! In the mass of mediocre and just plain bad mystery/thrillers that I have read this year this book stands out like a light of hope for this genre. This author gets everything right, the atmosphere of crumbling Atlantic City, the great character development and the voices of those that are no longer alive.

I knew little about Atlantic City except that it’s “hey day” was in the late 1940’s and 1950’s. I knew
Debra
Dec 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Two women become unlikely friends during a long hot humid summer full of dread, violence and murder in Atlantic City.

Clara a young psychic is struggling to attract clients so she can pay the rent. She begins having images. Images of violence against women. Lily is an ex-Soho art gallery girl who has returned to her hometown of Atlantic City after a humiliating and painful breakup. She now works in a spa in a desolate Casino. Both women have their own issues and demons but find common ground
Katie B
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it

It took me until the end before I could fully appreciate what the author did here. It was a bit of an uneven reading experience and at times I was frustrated at with the transitions between characters, particularly the Jane Does. However, now having some time to sit and back and think, I believe the writing style actually enhanced the story even if it took me awhile to realize it.

Atlantic City just isn't what it used to be as the dwindling number of tourists have forced many of the
Barbara
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it

In its heyday, Atlantic City was a popular destination for holiday makers and beach lovers, and - when casinos were legalized - also attracted visitors who liked a game of chance. In its golden days, the Atlantic City boardwalk was lively, restaurants were full, shops were bustling, and jobs were abundant.

Atlantic City in its heyday

With the rising popularity of other vacation sites, Atlantic City lost its cachet - and the once rocking boardwalk is now almost empty, half the casinos are closed,
Theresa Alan
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a tough book. The writing is good, and when I picked up a book about a serial killer, I wasn’t expecting a cheery read, but I also wasn’t thinking that every single character would be abused in some way, almost exclusively by men.

Clara is a teenage girl who’s getting by as someone who does have visions but is more con artist/thief than psychic. Lila is a woman who’s gone back to her hometown of Atlantic City to lick her wounds after her man wronged her, and what he did didn’t just
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
So rich in detail and amazing storytelling abilities!
~~~~~~~~~~~~
This book is so different from the scores of other murder mystery and murder crime thrillers that are out there right now.

Rich in vivid detail, Mullen showcases her amazing storytelling ability as she intricately weaves a story that is heartbreaking yet so very addicting.

We see much of the story through the eyes of a teenage seer. We meet some of the victims and understand their lives and their desperation, sadness, and despair.

Lori Lamothe
“There is a sisterhood among them, these women in the marsh.”

Strong Debut Novel, 4.5 stars

Clara Voyant is a skinny high-school dropout who reads tarot for a living and isn't above snatching the occasional trinket, thanks to her aunt Des's instruction in shoplifting. She longs to leave Atlantic City and set out for California, where she hopes she can reunite with the mother who abandoned her as a child. Lily Louten isn't any more enamored with the city than Clara but she has no plans to leave
Chelsey
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways-arcs
Clara is a 16 year-old psychic whose mother abandoned her and now lives with her irresponsible aunt, Des. Des works in the casinos and hustles and steals to maintain her pill addiction.

Lily moves back to a dying Atlantic City after a mortifying art show opening where she learned that her boyfriend and potential client were having an affair. Down on her luck and desperate for a fresh start, Lily begins working in an upscale Spa in one of the casinos.

Atlantic City is a place with many lost souls
Donna Hines
Oct 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, arc
A great new thriller involving several missing women near the northeastern new jersey region.
Summer has come and gone. The tourists are barely seen. The boardwalks are nearly empty in Atlantic City. Yet one thing is active the crime rate and murder.
Two women have just been found in the marshland behind the Sunset Motel and only one person knows they're there.
A young woman trying to make ends meet as a Tarot Card Psychic is our main character and is lively and vibrant. In fact she gets
Erika
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Thanks to Netgalley and Gallery/Pocket Books for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

In Atlantic City, 2 women become unlikely friends. There is 16 year old Clara, who lives with her flighty aunt, Des. They struggle to make ends meet as Clara tries to make money reading people's fortunes and actually has some legit visions. Then there is Lily, who has left New York and her art gallery job after some drama and returned home to Atlantic City to work in a spa. Meanwhile, there are 2
Jaksen
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I won this book. Thank you, Goodreads!

Written quite beautifully, descriptive phrases and narrative passages which reflect on life, the city, how we treat women, how men are depicted, etc...

As for presentation: both past and present tense; chapters with character names so you know whose head you're in. But information is kept from the reader which the character knows, and refers to, which supposedly leaves a sense of suspense? Not for me; it only causes frustration. So, I'm probably not the
Dave
In her debut novel, Caitlin Mullen offers a stunningly beautiful novel that is at once a crime thriller and a poetic expose on the throwaway women who are at the end if their rope. Set at the faded decaying eastern edge of the continent in the shadows of the once-glittering majestic casinos of Atlantic City, Please See Us peeks back the layers if glitz and glamour to reveal a rotten decaying core that no one wants to see. The victims of a sadistic serial killer are mounted in the stinky ...more
Steve Tannuzzo
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Please See Us is an impressive literary debut from Caitlin Mullen.

It takes place in seedy Atlantic City and features a semi-gifted psychic (“Clara Voyant”) whose talents kick in when the spirits of murdered Jane Does connect with her.

Recommended for readers who like a moody, ethereal story that’s not your typical suspense thriller.

Please See Us hits bookstores on March 3, 2020.
Cat
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
My last book was a muscle builder for the brain so I welcomed this quick-paced thriller by Caitlin Mullen. Taking place in Atlantic City, a young fortune teller (Clara) and a recently displaced young professional woman (Lily) cross paths and find common ground in apparent serial killings in the area. An interesting twist is the thoughts and memories of the deceased victims as they wait to be found, thus the “Please See Us”. I really liked the sensitive human touch Ms. Mullen gave to her victims, ...more
Tarrah Marie (Wayward Readers)
Please See Us is a unique, enigmatic narrative by debut author Caitlin Mullen. The plot moves at a nice steady pace with surmountable tension and is well supported by Mullen’s creative cast of characters. The writing is smooth and effortless as the narrative shifts from one point of view to another. The reader is quickly engaged and abruptly seized by the story line. A fantastic read by an up and coming author. 5 stars.

Thank you to #NetGalley and #GalleryBooks for this ARC. #PleaseSeeUs was read
Janet
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing

When it is snowy and cold outside (and my car is buried under 2ft of ), superspeed readers like me can read 250+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book…and many more today. LOL

From the publisher, as I do not repeat the contents or story of books in reviews, I let them do it as they do it better than I do .

In this sophisticated,
Renee
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley2019
Many tourist destinations seem to attract those eager to spend their money and step outside their normal routine. They also call the poor, the mentally ill, drug addicts, and prostitutes. When a location is thriving, the unpleasant aspects are pushed aside. But what happens when a formerly bustling place falls on hard times? The casinos in disrepair, the shops closed down, and unemployment rampant. Those who could once count on making a decent living, reduced to a life of poverty, one rent ...more
Annette
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Gallery Books for an advanced readers copy of Please See Me by Caitlin Mullen. I won this by entering in a Goodreads giveaway.
This thriller is eerie and fast-paced.
Clara lives with her Aunt Des above a Psychic Shop on the Atlantic City Boardwalk working reading palms and Tarot cards to pay rent.
One day a man comes in the Psychic shop asking Clara, can you help me with any information to find my niece, Julie Zale. The Uncle pulls out a bandana from his pocket and hands it to Clara.
Sharon Huether
Summer in Atlantic City; on the Boardwalk, Clara is trying to earn money by reading tarot cards for clients. She meets a new girl, Lilly who works at a spa at the casino. Clara has visions of girls in trouble. Meanwhile there are more girls missing in town. Clara and Lilly try to save the lost girls.
Can they stop the evil or will they also be sweped into it.

I won this free book from Goodreads First reads.
Stefanie
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reading the plot synopsis, you may think that you've read this book, or some analogue of it. I guarantee you that you haven't. As rabid fans of mysteries and thrillers, we encounter innumerable female victims. What makes this novel exceptional is that it gives unique, sympathetic, and complex voices to the Jane Does. The interstitial chapters in their voices are chilling and heartbreaking.

This novel explores the liminal spaces of our society. The Jane Does are even left in a liminal space, a
Lilly Schmaltz
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to NetGalley and Amazon Publishing UK for sending me a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

Please See Us is a thriller set in Atlantic City that follows two women and unlikely allies as they attempt to reveal mysterious events happening around the town. The women each have secrets of their own, and they must face their personal demons while working together to save missing girls.

This was a good thriller that gave a lot of background to the characters. I really appreciated the
Bonnye Reed
Nov 01, 2019 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Netgalley
pub date March 3, 2020
rec Nov 6, 2019
Pocket Books - Gallery
buzy_reading
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
Two young women become unlikely friends during one fateful summer in Atlantic City as mysterious disappearances hit dangerously close to home. Clara a tarot reading psychic and Lily an art gallery worker piece together the disappearances of these girls. Using artistry and psychic abilities these two main characters piece together the disappearances of girls in Atlantic City.
Atlantic City was once a thriving city, now its a dying city. Over the years, the town has had opioid epidemics, the
Michelle (Michelle's Book Ends) Shealy
"Jane Doe #2 is newer- she's only been in the marsh for two days. If you got close enough you might still be able to smell the traces of her perfume on her skin or the scent of the last cigarette she smoked lingering in her hair. She is still that close to life, like a door she could almost walk back through. Jane Doe #1 has been here for two weeks now"...…..

Atlantic City. Once a haven for casinos and nightlife, it’s bright lights fading into the seedier side of the city. A tale told from the
Patricia Romero
Two young women, unlikely friends, both find themselves in Atlantic City. Summer in AC used to be a time of packed boardwalks, casinos, and tourists. But no more. The only people out on the marshland are two dead women. Jane Does. Laid out behind a seedy hotel.

Clara, who is just a teenager, lives with her aunt and works as a boardwalk psychic to help pay the rent. The aunt was a real piece of work. When Clara begins having real visions after a visit from the father of a missing girl, she thinks
Jodie
Dec 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I thought the author did a great job with the setting of this book - I could very clearly picture a declining Atlantic City where women do anything to survive. I could feel the sweltering heat and picture the shops along the strip.

I seem to be in the minority, but I thought this book was only ok. It was a bit disconnected at times where it swapped from the point of view of Clara/Ava, Lily, Luis, and the various Jane Does. I really didn't feel a connection to any of the characters and I wonder
Doreena Silva
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley, arc, kindle
Thank you to Netgalley and Gallery Books for the ARC of this book in exchange for an honest and impartial review.
What a great thriller, a well written and character cohesive read.
I loved the way the author voiced all the characters, whom were both interesting and colorful and could be in modern day Atlantic City NJ.
Awesome debut from Caitlin Mullen and I like her writing style. I will definitely be following and watching for more from her.
Ashley
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
The publisher provided me with the opportunity to read this in exchange for providing feedback. (via NetGalley)

I enjoyed reading this. It was a fast paced read that made it hard for me to put down.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Other Mrs.
  • Darling Rose Gold
  • Big Lies in a Small Town
  • Pretty Things
  • When You See Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #11; Gardner Universe, #20)
  • The Janes (Alice Vega #2)
  • I Will Make You Pay
Caitlin Mullen earned a BA in English and Creative Writing from Colgate University, an MA in English from NYU, and an MFA in fiction from Stony Brook University. While at Stony Brook she taught undergraduate creative writing, served as an editor and contributing writer for The Southampton Review, and worked as a bookseller at WORD in Greenpoint. She grew up in upstate New York and the Jersey Shore ...more