Start by marking “The Only Good Indians” as Want to Read:
The Only Good Indians

The Only Good Indians

The creeping horror of Paul Tremblay meets Tommy Orange’s There There in a dark novel of revenge, cultural identity, and the cost of breaking from tradition in this latest novel from the Jordan Peele of horror literature, Stephen Graham Jones.

Seamlessly blending classic horror and a dramatic narrative with sharp social commentary, The Only Good Indians follows four
Expected publication: May 19th 2020 by Gallery / Saga Press

To ask other readers questions about The Only Good Indians, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Only Good Indians

Start your review of The Only Good Indians
Debra
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Four young American Indian men find themselves fighting for their lives against an entity who wants revenge after an event that occurred during an elk hunt ten years earlier.

Many are really enjoying this book and I encourage my fellow readers to read those reviews. This book just wasn't for me. I struggled with the writing style, I found it slow in parts, and overall just not my cup of tea. I love a good horror book, but this one just didn't work for me- end of story. I thought the book started
Paul
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THE ONLY GOOD INDIANS is a masterpiece. Intimate, devastating, brutal, terrifying, yet warm and heartbreaking in the best way, Stephen Graham Jones has written a horror novel about injustice and, ultimately, about hope. Not a false, sentimental hope, but the real one, the one that some of us survive and keeps the rest of us going. And it gives me hope that this book exists.
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cemetery-dance
WHOAAAAAAAA!!!
Writing up my review for Cemetery Dance but mark my words: It's this book by SGJ that is going to be made into a movie (I'm already calling it) This is the kind of horror people want right now. The characters are memorable, interesting, flawed, funny--REAL.
This horror has something to say.
A modern revenge story with biting social commentary that eats away at your soul. My heart and my mind ached after I finished.
Chelsea Humphrey
Oct 03, 2019 marked it as to-read
Recommended to Chelsea by: Gallery Books
This is own voices for Native American rep, and by golly if I don't have a new most anticipated 2020 release. Ghost Story meets Big Little Lies? Sign me up, y'all.

description

*Many thanks to the publisher for providing my review copy via NetGalley.
Rebecca Roanhorse
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jones has written a chilling and original story of revenge set in contemporary Indian Country that had me staying up late turning pages as fast as I could. The book is bloody and brutal at times, but also intimate, heartbreaking and ultimately hopeful. Jones boldly and bravely incorporates both the difficult and the beautiful parts of contemporary Indian life into his story, never once falling into stereotypes or easy answers but also not shying away from the horrors caused by cycles of ...more
megs_bookrack
Wishes really do come true!

Thank you to Gallery Books for providing me with an ARC. I love the sounds of this -- y'all know, I am always down for a strong revenge plot!

Early reviews for this are so encouraging and I can't wait to pick it up!!! Happy day!!!
Tracy Robinson
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tbr-wishlist
Review to come for Sci Fi and Scary. Know that from the first line of the novel to the last line of the Acknowledgments, I was ensconced in this world. No exaggeration or “hype”. Just damn good writing and beautiful, horrifying storytelling.

Full review:
I know this book doesn’t release until May, but I simply could not wait. 2019 is the year I started reading Stephen Graham Jones. I’ve only read/reviewed Mongrels and All the Beautiful Sinners , and I am so thankful there are many more back
Jessica Woodbury
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
An absolutely excellent start to my Horror Marathon for this year. Horror can only be good if it is about more than just a monster or evil force. If you aren't invested in the people and the place and the time you are in, then none of it is all that scary. Even if the monster is something you'd never even thought to be scared of (honestly had never once in my entire life thought I should be creeped out by elk, but now I will be creeped out by them forever) good horror will make you scared of it ...more
Robin Bonne
5 Stars.
Stephen Graham Jones has done it once again; he wrote a terrifying book that had me biting my nails and quickly turning pages. I can safely say that he is my all-time favorite horror author and this is one of his best.

This is a story about a vengeful elk. A group of friends shot at a herd of elk, causing a pregnant elk to die. She came back to seek revenge on them and their children, including their beloved dogs.

The violence is well written; gory but not excessive. The scenes described
Kendall
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
This has been getting raving reviews... so I want you to take this review with a grain of salt ;).

I really really struggled with this book. I found it extremely slow and had issues with the writing style. I feel like the story never grabbed me from page one and was waiting for something to happen.... it just lost me. I love a good horror book but this just wasn't for me and feel like I wasn't the best reader for this book.

There have been many positive glowing reviews so give it try you may love
Latasha
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one will stick with you for a while.I liked all of it- the characters, the setting, the writing. everything. This is the story of 4 Blackfeet youths that hunt on reserved land for tribal Elders and what it cost them. It's a story of revenge, loss, broken hearts and lastly, hope. SGJ is a master story teller and i hope to read a lot more from him in the future.
Jon Recluse
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, netgalley
When four young members of the Blackfeet Nation decide to hunt on reservation land reserved for tribal elders, it costs them the right to hunt on reservation land ever again.

Ten years later, they will learn the price is much higher than that. And they won't be the only ones to pay it.

For prey has become the hunter. Maternal instinct fuels unrelenting vengeance as a nature spirit rises from a killing field to balance the scales.

A brilliant, literary Native American horror novel that is incredibly
Kristi
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Only Good Indians by Stephen Graham Jones is a wickedly well written horror story that went far above my expectations! It is an eerily creepy tale about a supernatural force of nature seeking revenge; honestly, this is not what I was expecting and I mean this in the most awesome way possible!

Mr. Jones wrote the characters so deeply fleshed which made for a really affecting reading experience; Fear, guilt, sadness, compassion, pity, anxiety, heart-break … There were a few times that I needed
Dennis
Stephen Graham Jones' upcoming horror novel, The Only Good Indians is an #ownvoices story of several Native American men in Blackfeet Nation and how one decision has affected them in their current surroundings. These four men are battle against a vengeful deity of some kind that is seeking revenge on this group. It seeks out those who love them and the closest people in their circle—and doesn't have sympathy for who it takes down.

My review will be short, because obviously it's a negative one,
Audra (ouija.doodle.reads)
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
So, maybe you aren’t much of a horror person. I know those people. I’ve met those people. “Oh, that stuff?” they say. “Blood and gore and knives and screaming and jump scares? That’s not for me, they always say. “Why would you be interested in all that?

It might be my favorite question, honestly.

And now to go along with that question, I have the perfect book to put in their hands.

Horror is what’s scary, sure. It’s whatever we try to lock away in some dusty and dimly lit corner of our minds,
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I want this so bad it hurts a little ...more
FanFiAddict
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rating: +

Synopsis

Peter Straub’s Ghost Story meets Liane Moriarty’s Big Little Lies in this American Indian horror story of revenge on the Blackfeet Indian Reservation.

Four American Indian men from the Blackfeet Nation, who were childhood friends, find themselves in a desperate struggle for their lives, against an entity that wants to exact revenge upon them for what they did during an elk hunt ten years earlier by killing them, their families, and friends.

Review

Thanks to the publisher and author
Elliot
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a truly strange book, and I like that about it. Jones really nails the whole creeping dread, slow burn, unhinged reality thing. And I am here for it. I also appreciated how much of this story was tied to Native American experiences and storytelling. This book couldn't have been written by, or about, white people and been even remotely similar. The horror, characters, and narrative all tie so tightly into native topics that you could never pull them apart. It was probably my favorite ...more
OutlawPoet
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brutal.

Heartbreaking.

Beautiful.

The Only Good Indians, by Stephan Graham Jones, was a must read for me the moment I saw the cover and read the description…and it did not disappoint.

The author manages to break your heart and build up your hope time and time again.

While I loved the cultural perspective here, I reveled in the nuanced horror story the author brought us. The mix of horror and pure beauty was stunning.

A truly outstanding read!

*ARC via Net Galley

Octavia (ReadsWithDogs)
I stayed in bed too late this morning finishing this book even as my kitten screamed at me and my dogs grumbled for food because I had to finish it and see how it ended and who, if anyone, would survive.

The Only Good Indians is the new realistic horror we need right now. An #ownvoices story of American Indian men in the Blackfeet tribe who made a choice ten years ago during an elk hunt gone wrong that comes back to haunt them.

The characters are real, the gore is visceral and the end had me
Audrey
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalleys
This review is based on an ARC of The Only Good Indians which I received courtesy of NetGalley and the publisher (Gallery / Saga Press).

Hoo-wee! This is the best horror I've read in a while! (Certainly the best one not written by Stephen King.) When it comes to horror/suspense novels I don't typically stray outside of certain parameters. I'm glad, however, that I took a chance on this one! The Only Good Indians is utterly gripping from Go and delightfully horrific. The beginning
Rachel  Drenning
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Stephen Graham Jones has never let me down. Everything he writes just glows and sticks with you. This was a very haunting tale about guilt and our minds, how the two combined can be our undoing. Being native American this was a terrifying story,but will be to anyone, no matter your heritage. Highly recommend.
AnnaPanaReads
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing! I'm so thankful I received an ARC of this book! I highly recommend reading this book!
Hacen
Jan 15, 2020 added it
Actual Rating: 4.5

Woah. This book is insane. Rarely does a book leave me feeling as horrified as this one did. Slow pace but I think that made the shock of what was happening in certain scenes even better.

Received from NetGalley
Becca Bradley
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am usually a fast reader but I have to admit it certainly took me some time to get through this book. Not in a bad way though, I just found the writing very long and wordy (think Shakespeare) when I prefer writing to be a bit more choppy and straight to the point.

Now I love a good horror and have to say I am not easily shaken up, in fact, I was starting to get bored of the genre until "The Only Good Indians" came along and shook up my world. It is a horror in the true sense of the word;
Emma
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
[I was given an electronic arc by NetGalley]

I had previously read another novel by Stephen Graham Jones and loved what came of it, so when I saw that this new novel was available, I jumped at the chance to get a preview, and I certainly wasn’t disappointed. I think the horror of the novel was memorable, it was visceral. Jones brought injustice up to the plate and eviscerated it in a terrifying way that spanned generations. I think the brutality of it all managed to never be too much, even though
Carla (Carla's Book Bits)
Aw man, nobody is as bummed out as me.

The Only Good Indians was a book I coveted so hard, it hurt. I mean, look at that cover. And we all know I love my horror with a good social commentary.

Anyway, I couldn't get into it, try as I might. I picked it up several times over the last few days and just cannot read more than 2 pages at a time. The writing style is just not my cup of tea. HOWEVER I urge anyone who's interested in the premise to give it a try and see if the writing style works for
Valerie
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story starts out with the beating death of an American Indian outside a bar. The author then takes us on a journey along with four American Indian men after a disturbing event from their youth puts them in a desperate struggle for their lives. An entity is tracking them bent on revenge and it’s closing in on them, one by one!

SGJ gives us a look into Indian traditions, the lives of four friends and how all four were changed by one event. Characters are great, we learn of their hopes and
Samantha O'Hearn
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This novel kept me on the edge of my seat. I was really fascinated with the pieces of Native American culture sprinkled throughout this story involving four friends who are "cursed" after an act of violence when they were young. This was definitely a slow burn for me. Sometimes I couldn't see where parts of the story would intersect right until the last few chapters. And I was not expecting the ending at all. I highly recommend this book!
Jessica
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Damn. That was brutal. And devastating. I feel like I got sucker punched. A few times.
Native American storytelling is woven into the story of four friends who really mess up and have to face the consequences. And those consequences are harsh, terrifying and unforgiving. There is gore and A+ level horror shock factors. I could never guess what would happen next.

The writing is absolutely masterful and suspenseful.

The Only Good Indians didn’t pull any punches, and it shows. Out in May 2020!
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Other People
  • The Dead Girls Club
  • The Return
  • The Reddening
  • The Cult Called Freedom House (Sophia Rey #1)
  • The God Game
  • The Twisted Ones
  • A Lush and Seething Hell: Two Tales of Cosmic Horror
  • The Ancestor
  • The Other Mrs.
Stephen Graham Jones is the author of fifteen novels and six collections. He really likes werewolves and slashers. Favorite novels change daily, but Valis and Love Medicine and Lonesome Dove and It and The Things They Carried are all usually up there somewhere. Stephen lives in Boulder, Colorado. It's a big change from the West Texas he grew up in. He's married with a couple kids, and probably one ...more