Start by marking “Chosen (Slayer, #2)” as Want to Read:
Chosen (Slayer, #2)

Chosen

(Slayer #2)

“Will get Buffy fans up in their feels.” —Entertainment Weekly on Slayer

Nina continues to learn how to use her slayer powers against enemies old and new in this second novel in the New York Times bestselling series from Kiersten White, set in the world of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Now that Nina has turned the Watcher’s Castle into a utopia for hurt and lonely demons, she’s
Published January 7th 2020 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Chosen, please sign up.
Laavanya 7th January 2020 (I read that somewhere before, the date could be different though)

Start your review of Chosen (Slayer, #2)
Helena of Eretz ✰
I received this complimentary ARC from the publisher, in exchange for an honest review.

I’m predicting that its title shall be...WATCHER!

Just kidding. It’s CHOSEN. *grabby hands*
Hollis
So, listen. My experience with book one wasn't awesome because the first 60% or so was frustrating af but I thought the ending was intense and interesting and as a result was looking forward to this sequel.

Except CHOSEN was a miserable reading experience without charm, sense, or any kind of joy.

I won't drag this review out as I imagine, as per usual, I'm going to be an outlier but honestly? Other than name dropping and references, this resembled nothing of the Buffyverse I loved and deviated far
Alyssa Mead
edit 8/16/19: I NEED IT

__________

does it have a title? nope

does it have a estimated release date? nope

does it have a synopsis? nope

do I know if I’m even going to enjoy the first book, which comes out next year? nope

guess that means it’s time to add it to my Want To Read shelf then \_(ツ)_/)
Jenn
description

^^^ Literally me when I got my hands on this book.

let's just state facts:
- Buffy is my all time favorite show
-Kiersten White is one of my favorite authors

When Kiersten announced she was doing a Buffy series following a new slayer, yeah I was over the moon. Then I found out there would be more than one - just dead. I knew this material was in great hands because Kiersten is a true Buffy fan and understands this world. And I did love the first one and I loved this one. It was soooo close to 5
Carrie
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Chosen by Kiersten White is the second book in the young adult paranormal fantasy Slayer series. This series is a spin off and takes place in the same world of Buffy the Vampire Slayer after Buffy’s time when a new Slayer is chosen as she begins to come into her powers. This second book has picked up after the end of the first so it’s best to read this fantasy series in order starting with Slayer.

In this series Nina and Artemis are twin sisters that have grown up in the Watcher’s Academy and
Sylvie
What? There is already a cover? And I have missed it?

But I must say it looks ...
description
MissBecka
This started off pretty slow and wasn't as exciting as the first book.
She did move the plot along and I got to spend more time with some of my favourite characters (Hello there Doug!).
I would probably say this is more of a 3.5 star, but rounded it up since 3 stars seems harsh.
Still good, just not as good as the first book.
Thanks goes out to NetGalley and Simon & Schuster Canada for my ARC.
Caleb Roehrig
This book includes a “Roehrig demon,” officially making my name part of Buffyverse canon. I CAN DIE HAPPY BEST BOOK EVER
Jen Ryland
There were things I really enjoyed about this duology.

I loved being back in the Buffyverse and think that these books did a good job of inserting themselves in there. I loved the cameo appearances of some of my favorite characters and think that White's humor matches perfectly with the Buffy humor.

But it seems like all these YA versions of books (including the Wonderwoman/Catwoman YA series) feature a new Scooby gang of younger characters that I can't quite bond with. I struggled with Nina and
Emily (emilykatereads)
This sequel was one I was really looking forward too. I absolutely loved the magic of Slayer, and am a big fan of Buffy, but the magic from the first book wasn't quite there for me with this one.

I didn't dislike this one, I just didn't love it.

We follow the characters we got to know in the first book, after some betrayals and new dynamics. We start this book off in the sanctuary for demons that Nina has created, and then drama ensues when people Nina used to trust aren't so trustworthy
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, physical-2019
4.5 rounded up

I am an original member of the Bronze and have a super soft spot for Buffy and the Buffy Universe. This hit me right in my Buffy feels.

Nessa
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
PSA for all writers everywhere: If you are looking to create a spin off series to one of the biggest fandoms in the world, THIS is how it is done! Anything less is unacceptable. That is all.

I adore Kiersten White. I think she is a fantastic writer and has such a broad range of subject matter that there really is something for everyone to enjoy but what I really admire about her is her ballsy-ness. Let’s be honest here, readers are obsessive and completely unforgiving and there is nothing we
Shanannigans
So much Slayer goodness!

This was such a nostalgic read for me as I am a HUGE Buffy fan, and nothing has filled the gaping wound since the final episode aired many, many years ago!

Naturally, I started with Slayer, which was also fantastic but in Chosen, Nina the MC, really comes into her own.

This is going to be tricky because it is the second book of a series and I don’t want to spoil what could be potentially be an EPIC series for Buffy fans!

The timeline of this and the first book takes place
Brianna | RainyDaysAndStormyNights
3.5

I received an e-arc of this book from Netgalley and Simon & Schuster Canada in exchange for an honest review.

I'm really struggling to summarize my thoughts and feelings on this book. Every time I think about it, nothing comes to mind. Things happened in the book! I know they did! But nothing was very memorable and the stakes (no pun intended) weren't high at all.

I love Buffy and this world. The first book in this series was like a warm hug. The characters were great, there were a ton of
TJ
Nov 17, 2019 rated it liked it
While Slayer left something to be desired, I enjoyed it for what it was and all the Buffy references. Chosen, on the other hand, I found less charming. It was a drag to get through, and the character arcs felt weird and unearned. As I said in my review of Slayer, it feels like a lot of previously seen plots and themes from Buffy were rehashed here, only done less well. This one just felt uninspired; it wanted to do something similar to Buffy season 5, in the end, and it just... felt meh. The ...more
Nessa
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Buffy-ness is real with this one.
RTC
Lindsay
Dec 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

2.5/ 5 stars, rounded up to 3

I really enjoyed Slayer, so I was excited to receive an ARC of. Chosen. Unfortunately, I didn’t end up enjoying it as much as book one.

I think part of my disappointment was pacing issues and a weak plot, but most of it comes from there being so many characters that they all blend into each other.

It just didn’t click together for me the same way the first book did. And
Beth
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to come on vampirebookclub.net
Danielle
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: need-review
I have always been and will always be a Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan (says my signed picture of James Marsters). So when this book showed up on NetGalley I had to jump on it since I enjoyed the first so very much. There are times of course that the characters seem dull or lifeless but it doesn’t happen very often—I have found in most YA books this happens at some point or another. I get bored very quickly so it may not even be the authors fault but my own—my mind tends to go a mile a minute no ...more
Colby
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
First of all, thank you to Simon and Schuster and NetGlley for sending me an eARC of this book!

I was such a huge fan of Slayer, but it left off on a note that could have left the book as a standalone or let it continue into a series. Of course, I am very excited to see it as a series!

While Slayer focused on the whole world-ending Buffy world plot, I think I enjoyed where Chosen went. Chosen focuses on Nina and the Watchers inclusion of demons. Their castle has since become a sanctuary, and
Aoife
Nina is still struggling with her Slayer abilities as the stakes continue to rise.

Nina's planned Utopia isn't quite working out as she hoped, and her Slayer instincts are urging her towards violence all the time. Meanwhile Artemis, who fled the castle with her girlfriend, is hunting down the most dangerous foe either of them have ever faced, if she can remember which side she's on...

(So basically, don't read this one first. Start with Slayer.)

I'm torn on this one. (I know, it happens a lot with
Jenny Isherwood
Lisa Mandina
It was so easy to jump right back into this series with page one of the book. I also adored all the little cameos of characters from the original BTVS tv series, Clem, Oz, Harmony, just to name a few. The author does a great job with hitting just the right sense of humor and snark with the characters in a way that reminds me of the original tv series. For instance, when they misheard a name, and called him Ian Von Assface. But I also loved the newer pop culture additions, like Harry Potter ...more
Jenny Isherwood
****Spoilers*****

This is the second book in the Slayer series by Kiersten White. It follows Nina, a simple girl where all she wanted to do was help fix people up in her medical tower at the Watchers castle, turned Chosen One. Now she’s having to learn how to control her slayer power, With her twin sister gone, a distant mother and the boy she loved gone, she’s been busy saving innocent demons and trying to hold onto reality as a new and powerful darkness sets inside her. But what about the
Nikki S
Dec 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Review to come.

**EDIT 01/03/20**

You can find more of my reviews here at my blog: Take Me Away...

I don't read a lot of paranormal books anymore, so it was a treat to finally get another one in my hands. It was also a treat to read. So many questions were answered and so many ties were sewed up. I still loved the other one more, but this was still a good read.

Nina has changed the castle into something that none of them recognize. Demons run freely and now Nina is in charge. But there are still
Elena
Sep 06, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This cover is my aesthetic

Marie
Dec 24, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Decided to DNF for now. I was really hoping in the second book, Nina would be less whiny. She’s not. And it’s frankly making me dislike the book. I may pick it back up again but I’m not hopeful.
Luna✮MyOwnBookAdventures✮
OH MY LORD THIS COVER <33333
Danica
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Chosen is book two of the Slayer series. After the events of book one the Castle is turned into a safe house for slayers and demons who have no where else to go. Ninas sister Artemis has left, things with her mom are off. Ninas powers which have been restored don’t seem the same, they are making her feel darker and not herself. As if that all wasn’t enough there is a new threat that seems to be connected to Seans demon drug ring and a friend of hers.

This was one of my most anticipated 2020
Danica
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This was one of my most anticipated 2020
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Eight Will Fall
  • Jane Anonymous
  • Infinity Son (Infinity Cycle, #1)
  • Blood Countess
  • Crown of Oblivion
  • Echoes Between Us
  • Havenfall (Havenfall, #1)
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
  • Tweet Cute
  • Winterwood
  • The Night Country (The Hazel Wood, #2)
  • The Lady Rogue
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • Nameless Queen
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • Song of the Crimson Flower
  • The Good Luck Girls (The Good Luck Girls, #1)
Kiersten White is the New York Times bestselling author of many books for teens and young readers, including And I Darken, Now I Rise, Bright We Burn, The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein, and Slayer. She lives with her family near the ocean in San Diego, where she perpetually lurks in the shadows. Visit Kiersten online at KierstenWhite.com and follow @KierstenWhite on Twitter.

Slayer (2 books)
  • Slayer (Slayer, #1)
“Your eyebrows are so judgey they might as well have a gavel!" We both glare at each other. I crack first. "Can they have a frilly white collar like Ruth Bader Ginsburg?” 0 likes
“All these years, I thought the first Watchers were a bit dense for giving power to only one girl. One Slayer to fight everything? One Slayer to make impossible choices? But... that's the beauty of it. Because the Slayer is young. The Slayer is a girl. The Slayer isn't some rich dude, insulated from life and pain and struggle, sitting in his Mr. Darcy house deciding who gets to live and die.
The Slayer is on the streets, in the dark, in the night, walking right alongside the things she hunts. So when she makes life-or-death choices - they're life-or-death choices for her, too. Not just for the things she's hunting. She's not a committee, a council, a group working at a remove.
She'd part of the darkness.
And when you're already in the dark, you can see the subtle differences in the shadows.”
0 likes