Start by marking “Digging Up History (Museum, #8)” as Want to Read:
Digging Up History (Museum, #8)

Digging Up History

(Museum #8)

The New York Times bestselling author of Dead End Street returns with Nell Pratt discovering one of Philadelphia’s darker buried secrets . . .

Published June 25th 2019 by Beyond the Page

To ask other readers questions about Digging Up History, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Digging Up History

Taryn
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
When a summer intern discovers a document in the binding of a book that he is working on Nell is happy to try and find out its history. The document could be nothing or it could turn out to be a true find in the world of history. Nell soon learns that the hidden gem is a map of one of Philadelphia's oldest neighborhoods. She can't wait to investigate the area that the map includes and soon comes to find out that the exact place she is looking for is under development and will soon be turned into ...more
Karen Hollins-Stallman
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley-arc
This was the first time I read a book in the "A Museum Mystery" series, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Even though I hadn't read the previous books I had no trouble following along, it can totally be read as a stand alone.

When a summer intern at the Preservation Society discovers an aged document hidden in the binding of an antique book, Society president Nell Pratt is intrigued by the possibilities: is it a valuable historic document or just a useless scrap of paper? When analysis reveals that i
Fred
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Digging Up History is the eight book(plus one novella). in the A Museum Mystery series.

I am so excited that this informative series has found a new publisher. I love historical mysteries and even though this isn’t a historical series the author skillfully weaves in historical events in and around Philadelphia into the stories.

Nell is busy putting together the financial spreadsheets for the upcoming board of directors meeting of the Society for the Preservation of Pennsylvania Antiquities when h
Jerri Cachero
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nell Pratt is back! It's been too long since we've read about her mystery solving adventures!

When Nell's summer intern, Dylan Robertson, discovers a mysterious document, in a book donated by a collector named Harriet Featherstone, the mystery begins! The document, which turns out to be a map, leads the history professionals to a shocking discovery - in one of Philly's historic neighborhoods.

Marty Terwilliger's family secret plays an important role in the book. I won't give anything away, but it'
Book
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Once again, Sheila Connolly skillfully incorporates an important current issue into one of her series, this time it’s in her latest Museum Mystery, Digging Up History.

Summer intern Dylan Robertson finds an old document that Nell Pratt’s boyfriend James Morrison gets treated so it can be read. Turns out it’s a very old map of a small area of Philadelphia that is being developed by Barney, an acquaintance of Marty Terwilliger, former board member of the Preservation Society. When contacted, Barney
Stanley McShane
Protagonist Nell Pratt is the president of the Society for the Preservation of Pennsylvania Antiquities. The society received a collection of books from Harriet Featherstone, a long time resident and former active member. It is from this collection that intern Dylan discovers a map hidden between the old, original cover and a newer cover of a book that starts them on a journey of discovery.
Nell discusses the map findings with significant other, FBI agent, James, and contacts Marty Terwilliger, a
Anne
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Digging Up History by Sheila Connolly is number eight in the Museum Mysteries cozy mystery series. Nell is the Executive Director of the Society for the Preservation of Pennsylvania Antiquities in Philadelphia. She lives with her partner, James, with whom she has recently purchased a home. He is an FBI agent. A summer intern, Dylan, has been tasked with cataloging a recent donation of several thousand books, bequeathed by a deceased patron. While he is working on that he comes across an old docu ...more
Kathleen
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, arc, netgalley
This is the eight in the series and it isn’t getting old to read. I enjoy most of Ms. Connolly’s series. They are well written, have great characters and plot lines.

Having grown up in the New York area, I find delving into the revolutionary time period fascinating.

I like how Nell Pratt uses her resources to find interesting information about whatever is in the research bucket. This time it is a page used as stuffing in a rebounded book. Summer intern Dylan Robertson finds an old document and bri
Susan Johnston
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Princess Fuzzypants here: As a history buff, when an author can conjure up a story that has fascinating and well drawn characters who stumble upon a mystery and through their skill and tenacity can find a solution, all while spicing the story up with bits of history and trivia, I am on board. Sheila Connolly has a knack in many of her stories for doing just that. Her Museum series excels at it and this book is no exception. In fact, it might be my favourite.
A long time donor to the Society has b
Scilla
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nell Pratt, President of the Society for the Preservation of Pennsylvania Antiquities, is working on her financial report for the board, when intern Dylan Robertson comes in with a letter which came from inside the binding of a book recently given to the Society. Dylan had been cataloging the books left to the Society by Harriet Featherstone, a long time resident in Philadelphia from an old family and former volunteer. The letter wasn't readable, so Nell called her partner who worked at the FBI ...more
Rachel F
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Digging up History by Sheila Connolly is a great mystery that is part of “ A Museum Mystery” series.

I have to admit that this is the first book I have read in regards to this series, but I love the author, so I was excited to dive right in. I have to say, I am so glad i gave this series a try. I will most certainly read previous installments, as well as look forward to additional books that will arrive in the future with this series.

I enjoyed the incorporation of a murder/mystery with the hidd
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love reading Cozy genre mysteries because I always learn something new. Whether it be recipes, pet handling, or, as in this case, historical facts previously unknown to me.

Many of us learned American history in our 8th grade of education. Some persons would continue to learn in upper level Colleges/Universities. For me? The 8th grade was it. I, certainly, learned about the Revolutionary War and Civil Wars, however, the intimate stories of the persons living during that time was skirted over.

Amary Chapman
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy
An engaging cozy with a historical bent.
When the Preservation Society President, Nell Pratt is shown a very old piece of paper from within a book binding, she takes the young intern who showed it to her on a mission to see if they can read it with the help of her FBI boyfriend Jame's help.
They find more than they ever expected, as well as being drawn into the uncovering of a 'lost' cemetery.
Along with the intern, Dylan, James, and Marty, who is also aligned with the society they investigate
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozies-mysteries
Book 8 in the series.

I was so glad when I saw this book was coming out. I was afraid that the series had succumbed to the big Berkley purge.

Sheila Connolly did not disappoint. Nell and Marty are still nosy when it comes to preserving the history of Philadelphia, and this time they're handed not one, but two of Philly's history mysteries.

James is as always, a bit of a steadying influence and I enjoy his relationship with Nell. The new intern, Dylan, is sweet and obviously loves history.

The story
Jan
I thought that minor archeology in Philadelphia would be interesting in a mystery. Imagine my absolute delight in finding more than just a paved over cemetery (think of the discovery of King Richard under a British car park) but a pair of bodies and a host of beautiful brass canons commissioned by King George but never used in the American Revolution! Excellent story based in my other addiction (museums/books). The plot is ingenious and involves museum professionals, a construction manager, an F ...more
Mary
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
The 8th installment in the Museum and the first I have read (I have a pile of them in my TBR pile). I was able to pick up on the main characters and plan to go back and read the series from the beginning. In this installment Dylan is a summer intern and he finds a piece of paper in the binding of a book he is cataloging. He takes it to Nell Pratt the president of the preservation society and the document is not legible. She asks her boyfriend James help if he can get in legible. She also calls i ...more
Betty
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have been a fan of Sheila Connolly since I read her first Orchard book in paperback. Since my eyesight is such that I cannot even read the large printed books. I still have the first six paperbacks so I know it longer than5 years. I have like history all my life. I would have major in it except I there was nothing but teaching to do with a history major. It is no wonder I enjoy learning about the early Americans and Victoria England. The museum stories have been a must read books. I don't know ...more
Cinthi
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
What secrets lie beneath the streets of Philadelphia? Lots of history and Nell Pratt finds out there is also a lot of mystery when a map is found in a book that was donated to the Preservation society and it leads to several major historical finds.

Along with the police, Nell and the gang need to identified some historical artifacts and hundreds of bodies from long, long ago. Every historian’s dream and nightmare all rolled into one.

This is the first of the eight books in the series that I have
Roxanne Spencer
Jun 28, 2019 rated it liked it
I wasn't sure what to expect, having never read any of the Museum Mysteries (or any book by Sheila Connolly) before. It took a few chapters waiting for the murder of one of the characters before I realized that it wasn't that type of mystery! The story centers around a forgotten cemetery in Philadelphia and a decades-old memory of finding a body in the basement of an abandoned house. Nell and her associates from the Society for the Preservation of Pennsylvania Antiquities investigate this histor ...more
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book! It is the 8th mystery in this series and it is still going strong. It can be read as a standalone so no worries there. Nell Pratt is a fun character very well written story with a clear built world around her. This time around her Intern Dylan finds a parchment hidden in a old book and they set about finding what it all means. The story is set in Philidelphia and brings in past happenings and old relics. Really kept my attention no too much history just enough to make i ...more
Linda
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting history

While not a true mystery, the book has a lot of history and a puzzle to solve. This is my first book by the author's. She's written many. I'm sorry I started with this one as I wanted a real mystery novel. This was also somewhat wordy and repetitious. However, it had enough interest that I will probably try another book of the author's. If you're looking for a mystery, try another of her books.
Anna Fox
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love this series! I enjoy the history and the mystery always keeps me guessing. There are no current dead bodies, but lots of skeletons. I like the main characters - Nell, her boyfriend James and good friend Marty. Marty knows everyone and knows her history of Philadelphia.

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for my eARC in exchange for an honest review. - I am hoping for many more - one of my favorite series.
Kaitlyn Dunnett
Jul 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Unlike other books in this series, this one was much heavier on the history than the mystery. There was no villain. Nothing was at risk. The truth was uncovered by good old fashioned research, a couple of fortuitous finds, and a confession. It's an enjoyable and interesting read, but anyone expecting to see a sleuth actively solving a crime and facing obstacles along the way is likely to be disappointed.
Sandra
Jul 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Please note: I read this as a free e-ARC from Netgalley. What I enjoyed most about this book is that it is a straight, realistic mystery. Nell Pratt is back as the President of the Philadelphia Preservation Society. Her intern, Dylan, discovers an aged map hidden in a donated antique book. Nell is determined to find out what the map points too and ends helping the police with researching the origins of hundreds of bodies left from a forgotten cemetery. All in all an enjoyable, easy read.
Annarella
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was great to read another installment in this series.
It was an engrossing and entertaining read, full of twists and turns.
I learnt something new and was fascinated by the setting.
The characters are well written as usual, the plot kept me guessing and the setting was well described.
I look forward to reading the next installment in this series.
Highly recommended!
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Peggy
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Digging Up History

Book 8,in Sheila Connolly's,Museum Mystery,is a winner.

I found it hard to put down.

The story centers around a uncovered Philadelphia lost cemetery.

Nell's friend,Marty remembers playing in the tunnels under the houses in that neighborhood. She and her cousins,found a body but took an oath never to tell anyone about it.

And From there ,Nell and company research the cemetery and what Marty saw all those years ago.

Well written. Great story.
Holly
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I hadn't read anything from this author, or even seen this series, but it was a quick and delightful read! I enjoyed the historic tidbits about both the Revolutionary War and the city of Philadelphia. There were characters and scenarios referenced that I would probably have understood more if I'd read the other books in the series, but it didn't take away from the story. There is a mystery within a mystery here, and it's a clean, non-graphic murder mystery!
Marge
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Author

I have followed Sheila Connolly through many of her books. She is an author that tells a good story and wants you to look forward to the next book. The Museum series first got me interested in Sheila Connolly,a work. When I thought the series was done Digging Up History came about. Thank you Sheila for continuing this series and hopefully your other series of books. Looking forward to more
Deborah Almada
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love this series and I am so glad to see it continue!!! As usual Nell has found herself in an interesting situation when her summer intern finds a very old map in the binding of a very old book, thus the quest begins!!! Follow the usual suspects while they try to figure out what happened to two very old bodies and how a cashe of interesting artifacts, ended up buried for so long!!
Sheri Jesse
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book - interesting subject

Great book with an interesting story. This story mainly took place outside of the library, though library resources were used. The subject was extremely interesting and Nan, James, and Marry were key players. The only part I didn't like was how quickly the book ended and that the mystery wasn't quite wrapped up!
Sheila Connolly has taught art history, structured and marketed municipal bonds for major cities, worked as a staff member on two statewide political campaigns, and served as a fundraiser for several non-profit organizations. She also managed her own consulting company providing genealogical research services. Now a full-time writer, she thinks writing mysteries is a lot more fun than any of her p ...more

Museum (8 books)
  • Fundraising the Dead (Museum, #1)
  • Let's Play Dead (Museum, #2)
  • Fire Engine Dead (Museum, #3)
  • Monument to the Dead (Museum, #4)
  • Razing the Dead (Museum, #5)
  • Privy to the Dead (Museum #6)
  • Dead End Street (Museum #7)