Start by marking “Northern Lights” as Want to Read:
Northern Lights

Northern Lights

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  34,311 Ratings  ·  977 Reviews
Lunacy was Nate Burke's last chance. As a Baltimore cop, he'd watched his partner die on the street - and the guilt still haunts him. With nowhere else to go, he accepts the job as Chief of Police in this tiny, remote Alaskan town. Aside from sorting out a run-in between a couple of motor vehicles and a moose, he finds his first few weeks on the job are relatively quiet. B ...more
Mass Market Paperback, International Edition, 466 pages
Published September 2005 by Jove (first published October 12th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Northern Lights, please sign up.

Nicole R Nora Roberts has written over 200 books! If you liked this I would recommend picking up others by her. She is one of my favorites and I would…moreNora Roberts has written over 200 books! If you liked this I would recommend picking up others by her. She is one of my favorites and I would recommend Midnight Bayou.

I also really enjoy Sandra Brown's books. A recent one I enjoyed is Deadline.(less)

Blacky *Romance Addict*

I think this is the first dude-lit book I've ever read.

I have to say I loved it!!
Maybe it was the narrator (who was brilliant), or just the character of Nate <3 but I really enjoyed this one.
What's really surprising is that the story here is REALLY slow, the romance as well, the suspense takes hours to get to it, but damn, I didn't really give a sh*t ahahahhahahah I just wanted to know more about him and his past and how he adjusts to life in Alaska.
Watched the movie too. Sucked. But the ma
Anna Casanovas
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5 Estrellas.
Nora Roberts es una de las autoras a las que recurro cuando acabo de leer un libro que no me ha gustado y no sé qué lectura elegir a continuación porque desconfío de mi instinto. Los libros de Nora tal vez no me sorprendan después de haber leído tantos, pero siempre me reconfortan. Es algo así como beber una taza de té caliente (al menos para mí).
"Aurora boreal" tiene la típica estructura de los libros de la señora Roberts y mezcla misterio con una historia de amor. En este caso, e
Vishous
bUdDy rEaD wItH mY BeLgIuM wAfFlE

This was slow, but I've read books that are slower. Loved the journal entries the most, and everything how Alaska was described, especially because I have always wanted to go and see it.
The main hero was perfect, tortured soul, but NORMAL!!!
Didn't like the main heroine till almost the end. Started to like her when she started to act more ... let's say tender.

Wish I could say it gripped me, but sadly it didn't. I would even love it more without romance in it, bu
Evaine
Mar 07, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Linda
Besides the fact that one of GRs friends (Thank you, Pa!) told me that NORTHERN LIGHTS had some similarities to THE WITNESS, (my favorite NR’s romantic suspense), I was intrigued to see the story posted under What Book Would You Like To Live In?. Of course, there were over 2,500 books listed under this title but I was still interested nonetheless.

So while I was sweltering in our humid 90+ degree weather and waiting for autumn to arrive, I decided to visit Lunacy, Alaska. Population: 506. And be
Thyago | MrsMargotBlog

A slow reading but get us trapped with the mystery of "who is the killer?", making us distrust different people with each chapter we read and leaving our nerves to the skin.
Nate is a rich character who makes us want to confort him and let his ghosts fade, we want to cherish his heart and heal every wound. He is an excellent cop, with his heart in the right place and with the great efficiency, cold and distant enough, until he falls in love and begins to tear down
Lidia
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5. Me ha gustado, aunque se me ha hecho un poco largo, quizá demasiada paja cuando ya sabíamos quién era el culpable desde la mitad del libro más o menos. Y lo que se hace de rogar Nora para darnos una escena sobre los sentimientos de la pareja...
Lo que siempre me gusta de ella es que no te presenta a una prota fuerte e independiente para luego convertirla en una pánfila. Y menos mal, porque es algo que no soporto. Nada que decir sobre el protagonista, salvo que se lo compro.
Las pocas escenas
Michelle
Jan 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"This book is a perfect example of why I love Nora Roberts so much. It takes a lot for me to want to move anywhere in the north where winters are long and harsh. Yet, even long after finishing Northern Lights, there is a part of me that really wants to move to Alaska. Her descriptions of its harshness, quirkiness, and more importantly, its beauty, leaves me breathless every time and makes me want to experience it myself, even though I hate winter and snow.[return][return]Meg is the perfect heroi ...more
Glamdring
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Glamdring by: Blacky *Romance Addict*
*Buddy read with V <333*

There's so many things I loved in that book.

First, the fact that the book was told from the hero's POV. It's not the first book Nora Roberts wrote that way, but I love her heroes in general so it's always a good surprise when she does it.

Second, I loved the way she spoke of Alaska and climbing in extreme conditions. In most of her books the location is part of the story and in Northern Lights she really made both feelings really vivid.

Finally, I loved both MCs and th
Andrea Hussey
Jun 29, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Of course we start out with an unlikable character using crude language and talking about sex in a completely trashy manner, two characteristics that are sure to come in a Nora Roberts book. He’s talking about him and his group all sleeping with the same whore before they leave to go to the mountain. Ew. He’s cheating on his wife and family. How admirable.

We pick up with the main guy and there’s more crude language. The 1st person he meets tells him there’s an older woman that’ll try to get in
Kristalia
Final rating: 3.75/5 stars

7th book by Nora Roberts that I have read, and the first one I consider a weak compared to the others. Reason? I really, REALLY, hated the heroine. And hero was very loveable. Maybe even one of the best of heroes by Nora so far. Also of note, I read the translation of the book on my language.

I don't really feel like writing a long review for this one so I will just keep it simple.

Besides me hating the heroine, i liked the story. But then, there was also the pacing. It
Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical)
I seriously loved everything about this book. First of all, it was mostly about Nate, which was AWESOME! NR NEVER writes books about the hero! And it was soooo refreshing. On top of that, I ADORED Nate. He is seriously everything I want my future husband to be. How Nate sat with the little boy for breakfast every day was sooo cute. It made me want to kiss him. I loved spending time with him as he adapted to life in Lunacy.

Okay. I loved the setting of Alaska, because I pretty much knew nothing a
Lyndi
Jul 29, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh. This book gave me a raging headache. I don't remember who half the characters were and couldn't remember them while reading. There were just too many of them. Lots of time spent in awe of the snowy mountains. I mean, this is a busy book. Lots of things are happening. The repeated descriptions of the scenery weren't necessary. The repeated descriptions of depression weren't necessary. Damn near half the conversations weren't even necessary.

The reason this gets three stars instead of two: I w
Carina Carvalho
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fiquei cheia de vontade de visitar o Alasca.
Tina
I liked this one. Nora Robert is, in recent books of hers that I've read, 3 for 3 with the prickly heroines/cool heroes. Like Birthright and Tribute, I liked the hero more than I liked the heroine.

Police Detective Nate Burke comes to a small town Lunatic, AK (pop. around 600) to get away from the crushing despair he's felt since his partner in Baltimore died in an alley in his arms. Nate is hired on as the Sheriff of the small town. Over time he begins to heal while taking in the quirks of both
Morgan
Jan 05, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-p-q-r, alaska
I don't like to give bad reviews, but sorry, Nora really missed it with this one. As an Alaskan woman, I was offended by her portrayal of Alaskan women. The only character in the book I liked was her hero. Every other character came across as stupid, slutty, selfish, greedy, or a combination of all the above, and it didn't matter if it were the men or the women.

I once read a reader review in which the reader gushed about how she now knew what Alaska was really like. Well, that was Alaska in some
Ian
Oct 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: b-favorites
I sometimes wonder if there are two authors named Nora Roberts. Some of her books are very good, others are so dull beyond belief. This is one of the good ones. OK it's a little cliched but burnt out Baltimore cop Nate Burke accepts the job of Police Chief in a remote Alaskan town called Lunacy. While there he investigates a 30 year old crime.
As with many Nora Roberts books the women are tough. Nate's love interest in this book is Meg Galloway, a shy of commitment bush pilot who takes on bears
Anita
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars

Even though it took about 30% for the main conflict and excitement to begin, this book was actually a lot of fun.  On a side note, I have a thing for wintry settings, especially those with a possible crime thriller plot.  And admittedly, despite the rather banal, everyday happenings of our newest Lunacy Chief of Police, I really, really enjoyed Northern Lights.

True to form, there were still a lot of things about this book that didn't work for me, but oddly enough, the lit
Sara ♥
December 29, 2016 - January 1, 2017

I read this at almost the EXACT same time last year! I keep noticing trends like this! WEIRD!!!! I think cuz it's winter and cold... and I'm thankful it isn't ALASKA cold here in Texas!!!!! I really like this book... :)

December 31, 2014 - January 2, 2015

I forgot how this ended! Awesome! :) It was interesting reading this already knowing who did it, too... Heehee...

October 16-18, 2013

4.5 stars.

Man, the end was pretty intense! I was like, "WHO IS IT??? WHOOOOO I
Brenda
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brenda by: Helene Young
As Ignatious Burke and his pilot, Jerk, got closer to their destination of Lunacy, Alaska, Burke was sure his life was about to end. The surrounding mountains, covered in snow and ice, the bucking plane and Burke’s churning stomach told him he really shouldn’t have climbed onto this plane. But land safely they did, and never had he been happier to stand on solid ground (albeit a frozen lake)!

Ex Baltimore cop, Nate (please!) had just been hired as Lunacy’s first Chief of Police; their small town
Jane Stewart
Sep 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romantic-mystery
Really good mystery, some romance to go with it, feel good ending, enjoyable escape.

STORY BRIEF:
Nate was a cop in Baltimore. His partner was killed on the job. Nate felt responsible and was sad, withdrawn and depressed for months. He left Baltimore to become police chief of a small town in Alaska, hoping to further lose himself. He meets Meg who is a fiercely independent bush pilot, flying people and supplies around Alaska. She has more masculine traits than feminine and is the initiator of casu
Mónica Silva
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Opinião no blog http://howtoliveathousandlives.blogsp...

Assente no Alasca, este livro permitiu-me viajar até às montanhas inóspitas, ao frio cortante da neve, ao aconchego da vila de Lunacy. Senti uma vontade irreprimível de procurar esta região, encontrar um chalé onde pudesse passar o meu tempo com uma manta nas pernas, uma chávena de chocolate quente numa mão e um livro noutra. É esta a magia das descrições de Nora Roberts, fazem-nos ansiar por uma realidade bem diferente da que vivemos!

Surpr
Lisa - (Aussie Girl)
At 672 kindle pages a little on the long side but nevertheless a really good slow unwinding romantic suspense combining a cold case murder, the quirkiness of a remote small town characters and interesting hero and heroine. And the inclusion of several possible murder suspects meant the whodunit kept my interest to the very end.

★★★★☆ (4.5 stars)
Samantha
Dec 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Out of the many, many Nora books I've read, this one pleasantly surprised me. It's unlike any of her other books, this one having more "gore"... but it was still such a nice read. Very well written, and of course, no one can set a scene that makes you feel like you're standing in the middle of it like Nora Roberts can, even if that scene is Alaska.
LibraryLass
Fantastic! I absolutely loved this whole book. Especially loved the fact that the book was primarily from Nate's POV. Highly recommended. Another hit for NR.
Mollie Matusick
Jan 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've only read two Nora Roberts' books--this one and Tribute--and I liked this one much better. I'm still thinking about the characters weeks after finishing. I feel like I miss them and could pick the book back up and open it to a random page just to visit with them for a little while. The story is set in a remote village in Alaska, and the main character is a cop from Baltimore who gets hired by the mayor to become chef of police after his partner was killed in the line of duty. The characters ...more
Cheryl Landmark
Nov 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although I'm not a fan of her romance novels, I've read a number of Nora Roberts' mysteries and fantasy trilogies and I think she's a very prolific and good writer. I found this book to be no exception. I loved Nate's quirky sense of humour and his interactions with the many colourful characters in the small Alaskan town where he moves to pick up the pieces of his life and start over again. I love my female heroines to be strong and independent, but sometimes Meg was just a little too prickly an ...more
Northern Lights was interesting, but not what I've come to expect from Nora Roberts. The characters really come to life in this book and the reader gets dragged into the story. What was refreshing was that it was realistic...the hero wasn't superman, the heroine wasn't wonder woman....they were real, normal people.

However, the story did have a tendency to drag...it was really slow paced. Not to the point that you didn't want to keep reading, but you didn't have the urge to read 'just one more c
Cindy Newton
Yes, yes, I know it's lite reading, like bubble-gum for the mind, but this one was really pretty good. I'm a Roberts fan--she writes well enough to make even a mindless romance acceptable--but this one was much more murder mystery than romance, and an engaging one, too. Even though I did suspect the killer, he was one of several, and she managed to keep him from being a sure thing until the very end. She's got a knack for natural dialogue, as well. Sorry to disappoint all you literary purists ou ...more
Martina Nix Govoni
Cominciare l'anno così, con un romanzo tanto soddisfacente, è un buon segno.
Nora Roberts è un'autrice che difficilmente delude e qui da il meglio di se. Non è solo un giallo, non è solo una storia d'amore, è uno spaccato di vita affascinante di un territorio al limite del selvaggio.
Bravissima a descrivere il contesto, mai banale nel tratteggiare i personaggi (encomiabile come mostri Meg attraverso la descrizione della sua casa), è un romanzo che prende vita ed esce dalle pagine, per quanto vivi
Madison Mega-Mara...: #164 Northern Lights by Nora Roberts 1 1 Sep 01, 2015 09:07AM
  • The Official Nora Roberts Companion
  • Creation in Death (In Death, #25)
  • All the Queen's Men (CIA Spies, #2)
  • All Night Long
  • Flashpoint (Troubleshooters, #7)
More about Nora Roberts...

“I don't kick a man when he's down, unless I'm the one who put him down in the first place. I don't put him down unless he deserves it. And I don't break my word if I give it. So I'll give you my word.” 170 likes
“What are these?”
Meg looked at the rings of keys in Nate’s hand, deliberately furrowed her brow. “Those would be keys.”
“Why do you need so many keys?”
“Because there are so many locks? Is this a quiz?”
He jingled them in his palm while she continued to give him a sunny, innocent smile. “Meg, you don’t even lock your doors half the time. What are all these keys about?”
“Well… There are times a person needs to get into a place, and hey, that place is locked. Then she would need a key.”
“And this place that, hey, is locked, wouldn’t be the property of that person. Would that be correct?”
“Techincally. But no man is an island, and it takes a village, and so on. We’re all one in the Zen universe.”
“So these would be Zen keys?”
“Exactly. Give them back.”
“I don’t think so.” He closed his fist around them. “You see, even in the Zen universe I’d hate to arrest my wife for unlawful entry.”
“I’m not your wife yet, buddy. Did you have a search warrant for those?”
“They were in plain sight. No warrant necessary.”
“Gestapo.”