Start by marking “And They Called It Camelot: A Novel of Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis” as Want to Read:

And They Called It Camelot: A Novel of Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis

An intimate portrait of the life of Jackie O…

Few of us can claim to be the authors of our fate. Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy knows no other choice. With the eyes of the world watching, Jackie uses her effortless charm and keen intelligence to carve a place for herself among the men of history and weave a fairy tale for the American people, embodying a senator’s wife, a
Expected publication: March 10th 2020 by Berkley

Win a Copy of This Book

• And They Called It Camelot by Stephanie Marie Thornton
    Release date: Mar 10, 2020
    An intimate portrait of the life of Jackie O.

"And They Called It Camelot is the book club pick of the year. Stephanie Marie Thornton brings an

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 50 copies available, 1786 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Dec 01 - Dec 15, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about And They Called It Camelot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And They Called It Camelot

Start your review of And They Called It Camelot: A Novel of Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis
    Kate Quinn
    Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Read for a cover quote, and will definitely be giving one! This is the book club pick of the year. Thornton brings an American icon to life: Jackie the debutante, the First Lady, the survivor who at last becomes the heroine of her own story.
    Renee Rosen
    Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Even if you think you know the story of Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis, you’re in for rare behind-the-scenes look at the former First Lady’s life. Stephanie Thornton has channeled this iconic woman and delivers such an intimate portrait, at times I had to remind myself that this is a novel and not Kennedy’s own memoir. Such an ambitious undertaking and Thornton not only pulls it off, she hits it out of the park. This book is nothing short of magical.
    Chanel Cleeton
    Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    An extraordinary profile of the courage and grace of the indomitable Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis, And They Called it Camelot is impeccably researched and richly drawn. Thornton celebrates the former First Lady’s life in a sweeping account filled with poignant intimacy. Readers are instantly transported to Jackie’s version of Camelot as they immerse themselves in the fascinating and tumultuous history of the times. An unputdownable, unforgettable read.
    Tammy
    I have always been fascinated by all things Kennedy and knew that I had to read And They Called It Camelot. Although this book is fact based fiction, it reads like an intimate memoir. I found myself reading only a bit at a time to savor the story and also because I dreaded the chapter on Dallas. I knew how that chapter ended, we all do. But I found myself in tears reading it from Jackie's perspective. Stephanie Marie Thornton has written a mesmerizing book about one of our nation's most iconic ...more
    Sue
    Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    On her author page, Stephanie Thornton says that she "retells the stories of history's forgotten women". Jacqueline Kennedy is not exactly a forgotten woman in American history but what Americans remember about her was often very different than the real person that she was. In this well-researched book, we are able to learn about the REAL Jackie - the one often hidden from the public, the person full of doubts and fears and full of love for her family.

For many younger readers, this book will be
    Linda Zagon
    Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Linda's Book Obsession Reviews "And They Called it Camelot: A Novel of Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis" by Stephanie Marie Thornton, Berkley Publishing, March 10, 2020

Stephanie Marie Thornton, Author of "And They Called it Camelot: A Novel of Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis" has written a poignant, memorable, intriguing, intense, and captivating novel. The Genres for this novel are Fiction and Historical Fiction. I love the author's style of writing and her way of vividly describing the
    Michelle (Champ)
    Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I will start this by saying that I received this book as an advanced reader's copy in exchange for an honest review, but I promise you that I was going to read this anyway because I read every book that Ms. Thornton writes. Stephanie Marie knows how to take events and people from the past and give them a fresh spin and she can tell a story in a way that sucks you in and won't let go until you finish.

We all kind of know of the story of Jackie and Jack, but this book will take you behind the
    Dana
    I've never been a huge fan of Jackie Kennedy. Intelligent, stylish, and charming though she was, there's something about her that strikes me as distinctly snobbish and remote. However, after reading Thornton's American Princess and loving every word of it, I couldn't wait to read And They Called It Camelot. I'm admittedly still not the biggest fan of Jackie, but Thornton has a magical ability to transport her readers back in time and to make them feel as though they are truly witnessing history ...more
    Connie
    Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: netgalley
    I have read a lot of non-fiction and historical fiction involving the Kennedys, and this one is a solid standout. It is told through Jackie's perspective, which the author captured very well, based on other historical accounts I've read about her life. It felt true to the history I've read, and I also appreciated the extensive author's note stating which facets she took liberty with.

As much as I have read about the Kennedys, I continue to be astounded at their larger-than-life personalities, as
    Rebecca
    Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I received a free copy of this ebook from the publisher (via NetGalley) in exchange for an honest review.

So, we all probably think we know the story of Jackie Kennedy. But when you think about it, we really only know the story as it was told by others. While this is a fictional novel, it feels like the closest thing we have to hearing her story in her own words.

The author did an excellent job of really making Jackie's voice seem authentic throughout the novel. While I was familiar with a lot
    Sharon
    Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
    This book depicts the life of Jackie Kennedy. The story is set and told in Jackie’s own voice. She experienced many ups and downs, even as a child. Her father was a charming, alcoholic philanderer, and she married someone who was a charming philanderer. The main difference was that Jack Kennedy was fabulously wealthy and Jackie seemed to crave wealth as the gateway to a lifestyle she wanted to live. Perhaps her life would have been different had she not lost her babies. Grief counseling was not ...more
    Pat
    Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I received a free copy of "And They Called It Camelot" by Stephanie Marie Thornton through the
    "Good Reads First Reads Giveaway."

Many readers are confused about Jackie's behavior, regarding her husband's cheating and even her marriage to an older, wealthy man, Onassis. This book answers some of these questions and is written by a talented author. How true this is we will never know.

The story is a perfect novel because the main character, a talented women, overcomes tragedy after tragedy. This
    Debbie
    Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I was fascinated by this book depicting the life of Jackie Kennedy. This was a great accomplishment by the author for it was not an easy task. The author did a phenomenal job setting the story in Jackie’s own voice as we experience her life with all it’s many ups and downs. The strength and resilience of this First Lady is illustrated throughout this book. I was thoroughly engaged throughout the book. Well done! #AndTheyCalledItCamelot #StephanieMarieThornton #NetGalley
    Barbara
    Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Myth or legend, the idea of Camelot was proposed by Jackie Kennedy in interviews with Theodore White shortly after JFK’s death. Jackie was adept and convincing at creating a positive image from her lamentable life and marriage. Told from Jackie’s point of view, Stephanie Marie Thornton does an excellent job of contradicting their perceived fairytale lifestyle in her historical novel.
    Erin Brown
    Nov 18, 2019 marked it as to-read
    I am THRILLED that I have won this book in a #GoodreadsGiveaway I wanted to read this so bad when I saw it! I am so lucky to have won this I can not wait until it arrives so I can read it!! Thanks so much to Goodreads, the author Stephanie Marie Thornton, the publisher, and everyone else involved ...more
    Elise
    Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Thank you to #NetGalley for the opportunity to read #AndTheyCalledItCamelot. While I understand this to be a fictional account of JBK’s life, it made me angry, laugh and cry. I really admire the author’s writing style and attention to detail. A wonderful read!
    Kelly Massry

• The Family Upstairs
    • The Giver of Stars
    • The Dearly Beloved
    • Lady Clementine
    • Bringing Down the Duke (A League of Extraordinary Women, #1)
    • One for the Blackbird, One for the Crow