Start by marking “Made in Portugal (Made In, #2)” as Want to Read:
Made in Portugal (Made In,  #2)

Made in Portugal

(Made In #2)

Can your best friend be your soulmate?

Joel's entire world has come crashing down.

When he finds himself back in Portugal to scatter the ashes of his parents, he doesn't know how his heart can ever feel love after the loss of his family.

David has been baking since he was a teenager.

While he's been running the family café, love has taken a backseat in his life. Not to mention
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 270 pages
Published June 2019 (first published June 1st 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Made in Portugal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Made in Portugal

Start your review of Made in Portugal (Made In, #2)
Joyfully Jay
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: camille
A Joyfully Jay review.

I’ll admit, I was surprised by this book. In my mind, I started this book thinking it would be this sweet and tender goody-goody kind of story. The first few chapters do read kind of saccharine sweet, laced with a fair share of melancholy. In New York, Joel’s family basically adopts a friend/neighbor who gets kicked out of his house for being gay. Joel and David’s moms are besties and have a cutesy journal they kept together. David and Joel are buddy-buddy and it
Cadiva
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5*

This is another new to me author and another book where I've been thoroughly entertained by a well crafted story.

There is very much a sense of place with this one, the culture and heat of Portugal forming a major part of the narrative throughout and helping to anchor the lifelong friendship between Joel and David.

At the heart of this is a story about family and about belonging, to both a place and a person. When Joel returns to his childhood home, his memories of David are at the forefront.
Fernanda Parente
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the debut book of a new writer, Ana Newfolk.
It tells us the story of two childhood friends who split up after a kiss swapped on the beach. David stays in Portugal, and Joel leaves with his parents to the United States. The two men meet again when Joel returns to the country of origin to visit the family. The spark that brought them together in adolescence seems to return when they read an old diary from their mothers, who were childhood friends.
They embark on a journey through the home
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars - I was given a copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

This is a difficult review to write because I’m so conflicted about this book. Simply put - I loved the story but hated the writing.

Joel and David’s story is a sweet, sometimes sad second chance romance I enjoyed the characters and the beautiful Portuguese setting. There are some beautiful and quite tender scenes between Joel and David, both as boys and as adults. It is a thoughtful and reflective romance and at
Don Bradshaw
Well done Ms Newfolk! I enjoyed the way this book read. It seems that English may not be the author's native language as things were worded oddly and that is what gave this story its charm. Very low on angst and believable characters traveling in a picturesque country round out this sweet romance perfectly. It is wordy at times but I'm not sure that a better editor would have helped or hurt the flow. Very enjoyable.
Becca
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So I love this book for a few reasons. One, I was really good. You could almost feel yourself on those sunny beaches or traveling all over the countryside. And two, it was published on my birthday. So that makes it extra special. Lol im just teasing. Well, it was my birthday...oh you know what I mean. They only problem I had with this book is that there were quite a few grammatical errors. Punctuation and wrong names in wrong places kind of thing. Other than that, I really liked it.
I have to
Jess A Jaye
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You can't help but fall in love with all three MCs in Made in Portugal - David, Joel and Portugal itself. Been a few times but now I really wanna go back to explore it more and of course eat a thousand pastel de natas (custard tarts). Made in Portugal is a perfect summer read. Although it isn't that far from me in the Uk I felt totally transported away and like I'd been dropped into all the sights and sounds of Portugal.
Made in Portugal is a really sweet friends to lovers story and really it's
Ruthie Taylor
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
~~I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads ~~

This is the first book in a series, and the debut novel of Ana Newfolk. Newfolk clearly has good instincts for plotting an engaging and romantic novel. There were times I was annoyed by the informality and structure of the writing, but I remained invested in the story.

I found the setting of the story in Portugal to be inspired, as it gave many of us an insight into new places and more particularly new foods. I was glad
Kendra T
This story was really touching, romantic, and emotion provoking. Joel and David were childhood best friends who got separated by a move. Neither has forgotten the other, but finally 13 years later they are reunited. Unfortunately it was because Joel's parents died, but the best friends being reunited started the path to healing.

I thought the story was really intriguing. Joel and David's mothers were best friends and created a travel journal, so the guys set out to use their journal as a guide to
Temberley
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever read a love story that just sets your soul on fire? Well, that is what Made In Portugal did to me.

David and Joel were childhood friends that were separated by an ocean and many years but when Joel came back to Portugal to bury his parents they reconnected and friends became lovers.

Go for a journey with Joel and David and see a little bit of Portugal and fall in love all over again. A must read that will keep you hooked till the last page and still leaving you wanting more!
Tanya
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved this book. i can't explain how much i really enjoyed this story.
These two characters had been apart for so long but for them to have not only reconnected but to realize what started 13 years before was only the beginning of what would become an amazing future.

i can't wait to read more of the secondary characters in future books.

kudos for creating such a great read!!!
Norelle
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5

Story about family, memories, trip to different country, travel journal, two men falling in love.
Sunny, summery, easy to read. I enjoyed it.
Book without heavy darkness or any weird stuff.
Perfect cover, because it was the first thing that caught my eye.

Megan
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars rounded up

Ten years and thousands of miles separates David and Joel. But one road trip and a heartfelt confession bring them together in a way neither believed they could hope for. As they navigate past hurts, secrets, and a travel journal, they'll find more than just answers; they'll find a relationship that spans years and continents but was made and meant to be in Portugal.

The overall story was sweet and touching. Having their mothers be the very best of friends brought a closeness
Amy Dufera
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's not everyday that I find a book like Made in Portugal that makes me want to tell everyone to read it right away! I am so damn impressed with this book by Ana Newfolk.

From the very beginning, I knew this book was going to be special.

Joel and David are everything you want in a M/M Romance. After growing up as best friends, they are reunited and what follows just warms the heart.

This book contains so much sentiment, so much romance, and an overabundance of love. The trip the two set out on
Tanja
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a very enjoyable read. A surprisingly good debut novel by Ana Newfolk. She already had written a short story I liked very much, but this is her first full-length novel, and it is certainly worth reading. It had everything I look for in a romance. Well-crafted writing, believable characters, hot sex, humorous banter, and heartfelt moments.
David and Joel were best friends until they turned ten and Joel had to leave Portugal to return to the States with his parents. Their lives turned
Didi
Made in Portugal” is a journey of two childhood friends finding their way back together. Put it that way it’s supposed to be a sweet story. A second chance romance of sort.

Unfortunately, the way everything revealed was rather monotonous with too much told and less shown. Also, the dual POVs between Joel and David didn’t compliment each other; in fact some part of those were repetition of same event [told from different voice, but telling the same detail].

The vast majority of the shown [in
Jenn
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second chance, friends to lovers on holiday story, yes please! This is my first book by Ana Newfolk but it definitely won't be my last! I really enjoyed this story of finding a well deserved happily ever after for Joel and David! Two great guys who grew up as friends but end up countries apart who have always shared part of their heart and soul finally find their way back to each other.

I loved these two and their journey together, even in the rough moments. Joel and David were best friends in
mrs sarah frost
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Made In Portugal
I always enjoy reading new authors and this one didn't disappoint.
Joel left Portugal and his best friend David when his parents moved to New York returning every summer holiday and visiting the beach where they shared their first kiss and the last time they saw each other. Fast forward 13 years and Joel, who is out and proud, is heading back to Portugal to scatter his parents ashes and getting back to the rest of his family.
David a successful pastry chef runs the family
Rachel Hendry
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After recently discovering this author I was keen to dive in to what sounded a sweet read but I wasn’t expecting it to be so much more than that.
David & Joel childhood friends, their mothers were best of friends and when Joel returns to Portugal from New York to spread his mother’s ashes he reconnects with David. It is from here that we are taken on a journey, the very same one that their own mothers took, and with the help of a diary we get to experience, as they do, a road trip through
Melanie
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words Review

Rating: 4.5 stars out of 5

For the full review, visit https://wp.me/p220KL-dR6

From that review: "

I really enjoyed Made in Portugal (Made In #1) by Ana Newfolk. The author managed to bring the country of Portugal alive for me as a reader on so many levels while never losing sight of her oh so connectable romance between two best friends given a second chance at everything they ever hoped for. The first in a series apparently, Made In Portugal takes us
Mrs.V
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ana Newfolk's first full-lenght book is absolutely a great start. It is a great story, very well written, the charachters have a depth to them that many authors cannot achieve even after writing a series of books; and the road trip through Portugal's small towns just makes you want to get a car and follow them in their journey (i did so on Google Maps, not the same...).

David and Joel, best friends when they were kids, untill Joel moved to the US, sons of best friends, they share a bond which
Karen Edwards
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joel hasn't been back to Portugal for 10 years. He returns with a sad heart after the death of his parents the year before. He's looking forward to seeing his family again and the boy, now man, he can't forget. David is a successful pastry chef, running his family business with his aunt and uncle, but things aren't always what they seem. I totally loved reading the descriptions about Portugal, the beaches, the food, the atmosphere. It was lovely! I came away craving a day at the beach. I loved ...more
Faye Kennedy
I've really enjoyed reading this book. The story-line is one of adventure and finding love with their childhood best friends. I've laughed at scenes and was drawn in others as the characters sort their feelings. Includes a virgin hiding in closet, Joel is only there for a few short weeks which could lead to heartbreak before he has to leave. Written as a fast paced with 2 POVs and includes a few Portuguese words and translation into story. Sexy scenes between the couple are okay although it does ...more
Jennifer Reilley
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gahhh. This book in my opinion was so very sweet. I loved loved the storyline

Joel and David became best friends when they were young. However, they were separated for no fault of their own. Fast forward to when they are no adults. Joel is returning home to Portugal to see his family and David is still there as a chef.

Both are nervous to see each other again and boy do the sparks fly when their eyes meet.

Fall in love with their story, their family, their road trip, and the emotion trip they take
Lidia
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have loved the story from reading the plot, being come back from a journey in Portugal myself from one week : it's was as be there again...and the pastel de nata are truly delicious...however the David and Joel story is nice, romantic and sweet and hot naturally and I liked it very much. It is a story written with words, smells,imagine of this wonderful country that is the Portugal and his people. I have discovered that this is the first book by this author so now I understand the why of some ...more
T
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Made In Portugal by new author Ana Newfolk was a very well written and sweet read about two men who had been childhood friends and were separated. Although the reason the guys reunited was sad I thought the story was beautiful and very unique! The romance was sweet and very heartwarming without a ton of angst! The description of the setting was so wonderful! A romantic second chance romance that I recommend!
I'm excited to read the next book in the series!!
I received an Advanced Reader Copy and
Victoria
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet read

This is another good Summer 'beach' read. The basic premise of the story is that David and Joel find each other after years apart and rekindle their friendship (and start a romance) whilst travelling through Portugal. They both confront the pain of losing loved ones and the whole book has a very obvious 'journey to healing' feel. The romance was sweet and sincere with a bit of angst without being too heavy. Ana Newfolk does a really great job of bringing Portugal to life through the
Louise
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Journey!

Wow, expect to cry a lot with this story. The relationship with two childhood friends, finally enjoying each others company after many years apart due to Joe's parents moving to New York.
David owns a Cafe where he makes delicious Custard Tarts in Portugal. With his best friend here in Portugal to scatter his Parents ashes, they decide to take a road trip together after reading their Mother's childhood journel.
Terri
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story is very sweet and emotional, and David and Joel are adorable together. I love the way their memories of their moms is interwoven into the entire book. The trip the men took in the care that once belonged to their mothers was interesting and fun (with lots of sex), but it was just a part of the story. Max, Isaac, and the relatives of both men make up a great supporting cast, and I hope to see all of them in future books in this new series. I loved this one!
Valerie
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very slow burn with some angst thrown in. Joel is young when his parents move to New York from Portugal and he has to leave his best friend David behind. But as adults, Joel is going back to Portugal and they meet again. They are on a trip around the country as they discover more about their mothers and each other along the way. The friendship builds into more and in the end, they both have to take a chance or risk losing what they found with each other. A good read!

• Upside Down
  • Private Charter
  • Forgotten: Luca (The Four, #1)
  • The Boyfriend Game (#boyfriendsbybLoved, #1)
  • Ashes (Men of Hidden Creek - Season 2, #1)
  • Be Still My Heart (Four Kings Security, #2)
  • Risk Taker (Mixed Messages, #3)
  • Rainbow Place (Rainbow Place, #1)
  • Unwritten Law (Steele Brothers #1)
  • Brave for You (Oahu Lovers, #1)
  • Vow of Protection (Personal Protectors #1)
  • Arctic Sun (Frozen Hearts, #1)
  • Vanilla Clouds
  • Pretend You're Mine (The Protectors #12.5)
  • The Fall (Love in O’Leary #1)
  • Leaning Into Forever (Leaning Into, #7)
  • Allure (Men of Hidden Creek - Season 2, #2)
  • Ryker (Owatanna U Hockey #1)
Ana Newfolk was born in Portugal but has lived in the United Kingdom for so long, even her friends sometimes doubt if she really is Portuguese.

After getting hooked on reading gay romance, Ana decided to follow her lifelong dream of becoming an author.

These days you can find her in front of her laptop bringing her stories to life, or in the kitchen perfecting her recipe for the famous Portuguese

Made In (5 books)
  • Made In New York (Made In, #1)
  • Made in Paris (Made In, #3)
  • Made in Manhattan (Made In, #4)
  • Made in Lisbon (Made In, #5)