Start by marking “King Arthur's Sister in Washington's Court” as Want to Read:
King Arthur's Sister in Washington's Court

King Arthur's Sister in Washington's Court

How sick are you of US politics? How doomed is the world because of who has claimed the Oval Office throne—er, chair?

Refresh your spirit by laughing along with what Mark Twain might have written about today’s political falderal.

“Solidly entertaining.” —Publishers Weekly

WINNER 2016 IBPA Benjamin Franklin Gold Medal for Science Fiction & Fantasy.

Morgan le Fay, sixth-cent
Published (first published September 23rd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about King Arthur's Sister in Washington's Court, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King Arthur's Sister in Washington's Court

N.N. Light
I'm a huge Mark Twain fan as well as an avid baseball fan. When I came across this book, I knew I has to read it. Although, to be perfectly honest, I wasn't sure what to expect. I mean, could Headlee pull off the writing style of Twain? Was I just asking for trouble?

I was pleasantly surprised. Headlee must be a Twain admirer because her tone and pacing was absolutely superb. From the first page until the last, I was immersed. It was highly enjoyable and I recommend this book as a must-read!

My R
Vonnie
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What if Mark Twain's story, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, continued? Though I have not read the original classic by Twain, I was eager to read this book because it was an Arthurian tale and I was curious to see how Morgan le Fay would be in the future. I was not too sure what to expect so I did not start reading this book with any set ideas. With an open mind, I was able to have fun reading King Arthur's Sister in Washington's Court.

The plot was very entertaining. I loved the who
Jill Roberts
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: loved-it
Too be honest, there are 3 things I love in this world, (beside my children, family and friends of course) and they are everything Arthurian, Morgan le Faye, and anything written by one of the best contemporary Arthurian novelists, Kim Iverson Headlee. Not only does Ms. Headlee know all the intricate details of the Arthurian legends and history, she creates an Arthurian world of her own.
King Arthur’s Sister in Washington’s Court ( or KASIWC), has everything us Arthurian lovers could want and mor
Cathy
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable book

I am a baseball fan, so this book was good for me especially the part about how the players didn't make much money. The funniest parts were those in which the Queen was always wanting to put someone on the rack (most especially the members of Congress!!).
Darlene
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!!
Recommended to Darlene by: Kim Inverson Headlee
Shelves: first-reads
Have a Great Book for you this morning, one that I know you will sure to enjoy. It is written by KIM IVERSON HEADLEE and the name of the book is called KING ARTHURS SISTERS IN WASHINGTON COURT:
Yup you heard and read right.. King Arthur and he had a sister. Morgan Le Fray-. Before I get started telling you the nibble. I have a few comments to make about our author. Ms Headlee was very kind to send me ARC of this amazing and time travel story. In exchange for an honest review. Here is my honest r
Laura Reading
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being a fan of all forms of Arthurian literature I was excited to read Kim Headlee's time travel novel in the style of Mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee. It has been years since I read Twain's novel or even watched the movie versions.
King Arthur's Sister is set in our future and focuses on Morgana, still very much the Queen of mystical arts, although not as dark as in her earlier times. OK, that may be up for debate.
Finding herself in an unfamiliar era, Morgan associates with infuential, powerfu
M.C. Simon
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am writing this review from the position of the person who did not read Mark Twain’s story and who is not a fan of King Arthur’s epoch. However, I have to admit that time travel is one of my passions.

I had a pleasant surprise finding that the main character had to travel forward in time. Her reason for doing it was also a hook for me.

It was appealing to read about a 6th-century Queen’s time travel in the future. It was amusing to read about her thoughts and feelings in the end of the 21th cent
Christina Weigand
King Arthur’s Sister in Washington’s Court
Kim Iverson Headlee
Queen Morgan lands in the year 2079 in the United States. She is quickly rushed to Washington D.C. to assist a presidential candidate to win the re-election and govern the country.
After the election is won, Queen Morgan helps the new president, Malory Beckham, to rule the country but is soon lured to London, where she buys a baseball team.
The bulk of the story is about the ups and downs of Morgan’s life as a baseball owner. Throughout
Tammy Hall
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have always been a fan of Arthurian books and time travel as well so when the chance came for me to read this book I was thrilled. I dove into this story head first and was surprised by what I found. Morgan Is King Arthur's sister and she is trying to save his life but to do so she must go back in time to kill the man who takes her brothers life. There's just one problem with that she ends up in the future not the past. Morgan is left to accept that she is in the wrong place and the wrong tim ...more
Kim Headlee
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Well! I entered my rating and forgot to un-check the "share to" social media boxes, so now I need to write something about this book.

Okay, here it is: This is not the book of my heart, it is the book of my soul; I began writing it in 2007, stopped about 50 pages in because I didn't think I was worthy to emulate Mark Twain -- and that doubt halted all my fiction projects for three years. Yes, years.

Now I am pleased to share it with you for your entertainment and, perhaps, enlightenment.

The past i
Annmarie Pelayo
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first I didn know whether I would like this book, however, as the story evolved I became entralled in the concept of the book as well as the story line. Queen Morgan is quite the character! Considering that she is in an era that she was unprepared for, she finds herself delving into the century she was brought into and brings you with her thru the trials and errors of being in the 21st century and the challenges that she willingly takes on. I found myself laughing at many points in the book a ...more
Ann
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do not miss this book

When I began reading this book, I was quite skeptical of it's worth. Then it's beauty and humor overtook me. I could not put it down. The observations on modern politics, social structure and baseball are well worth the read. Queen Morgan's relationship with Sandy is true romance. It is very interesting how the author was able to compare the age of King Arthur to modern politics and, of course, baseball with such keen observations and humor. I highly recommend this book.
Peggy
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have never read a time traveling type book. I usually stay away from those since I never felt as if I would enjoy them. But now, I think I have truly been missing out! This was a great read! Surprisingly for me I really enjoyed it! Looking at the cover doesn't do much justice for this book, you have to actually open it and start reading. I promise once you do you won't stop. You will enjoy just as I have!

*Received for an honest review*
A. McCarty
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am not normally a fan of the Arthurian books, but this one held up and stood out for me. This one had its pull and I am glad it did. I give it many props and many props to the author for a wonderful book. I can't wait to read more from this author.

Imaginative Dreams was given for an honest review.
Erika Messer
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was quite the fun book to read, it had so many things to smile at and the wording was so perfect for Morgan! She finds herself yanked into present day Washington DC where she finds a faux court of Henry Tudor and Anne Boleyn, and of course a faux Lady Jane Seymour aka Clarice, who helps her find her way. Morgan immediately becomes acquainted with Madame President Malory Beckham Hinton and Malory requests for Morgan to become her campaign manager, which is hilarious. And Morgan is so serious ...more
Lonny Johnson
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

In 1628 Thomas and Elizabeth Emerson left England and sailed to America on the Mary. They lived briefly in Massachusetts before settling permanently in Vermont. From them sprung some of America's greatest writers: Ralph Waldo Emerson, Emily Dickinson, and Mark Twain. Though I inherited not a bit of writing talent, I fit down near the bottom of that family tree as well. I have loved Twain since I first read "Tom Sawyer" in school and was truly tickled to find he was my very distant cousi
Selaya Morton
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Humour and incredulity rule in this fanciful switch around of Mark Twain's story. The idea of Morgan Le Fay transporting herself ahead in time to exact vengeance on "The Boss" is novel enough in and of itself but when she initially believes she has come up a few hundred years short she wastes little time in attempting to adapt to her new surroundings and time. When she is finally made aware of her true locale and year, the same is true and she becomes a vital entity in more ways than one. The ma ...more
Lillian
I'm actually still reading this one. I will tell you there is a rather funny scene early on where Queen Morgan lands in modern times that feels familiar to her. Can you say RenFest?
Tom Denker
I got this book for free as a Goodreads Giveaway - that has not changed my review.

Got this immediately after finishing a reread of A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, which is one of my favorites. This is a whole lot of fun and does a good job of sticking to Twain's style while humanizing a pretty unlikable character from the original.
Victor Gentile
May 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kim Iverson Headlee in her new book, “King Arthur’s Sister in Washington’s Court” published by Lucky Bat Books takes us into the life of Morgan le Fay.

From the back cover: Morgan le Fay, 6th-century Queen of Gore and the only major character not killed off by Mark Twain in A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court, vows revenge upon the Yankee Hank Morgan. She casts a spell to take her to 1879 Connecticut so she may waylay Sir Boss before he can travel back in time to destroy her world. But th
Jemima Pett
Queen Morgan is in the middle of some critical negotiations when she gets waylaid and moved forward in time to a mediaeval pageant. She quickly works out that this is false… in fact it’s being put on for her benefit to settle her in – she’s actually way in the future, about 2079, in fact. I was disappointed to discover that the power suit with high heels is still the armour of the successful businesswoman, but style and practicality aside, I love the developments of both technology and society t ...more
Teresa Kander
Apr 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I'm a long time fan of Mark Twain, and A CONNECTICUT YANKEE IN KING ARTHUR'S COURT has always been one of my favorites, so I was excited at the chance to take part in this book's relaunch tour.

I have to admit to a guilty little secret: Morgan le Fay has always been one of my favorite characters in Arthurian legend, even though she has always been the "villian" of the tales. So it was definitely a drawing point to have her as the main character in this story, in the future of America. I was pic
Niki Driscoll
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
I have to say this is not what I expected when I started to read this story. I must be a little slow as I did not pick up the reference to A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court and kept trying to figure out who the heck The Boss was. ( I have even watched and read that story) I found this to be quite an enjoyable read and I loved Morgan's reactions to the year 2079. The author gave us a glimpse at another side of the evil Morgan Le Fay and I really kind of liked her. This was a well concei ...more
Julianne Redmon
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this "continuation" of Twain's classic tale. Although not the most popular of his novels by far, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court was always my favorite Twain story so I was truly excited to read how the author decided to let the story play out.

I must say that I was not disappointed at all! "Queen Morgan" was delightfully written. Headlee did wonders in turning a character that is typically portrayed as a conniving, power hungry virago into someone who is actually likable. The
Fiction  Vixens Blog
This is the first time reading anything by this author and I was thoroughly enjoyed this great story. We find Queen Morgan racing through the battlefield , in a carriage ,and the king who is her brother in fighting and she rushes to his side to try and save him. with her herbs. As she tells them what to write, Morgan decides to tell a story as she casts a spell to travel back in time to kill Hank before he comes to their time when the king would be safe. What she encounters on her travels was de ...more
Kimi Court
Nov 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Time travel books, mostly read time going backwards, not forwards. So this was a pleasant surprise. Morgan and the baseball story line was a bonus, and you really feel what the characters go through. The story line is solid and you find yourself wanting to read more. I know in each book I read about travel the character is always trying to get back to the future, now I am dealing with this one wanting to go back to their time in the past. It is interesting and I think a new spin off of ti ...more
LaGina
Apr 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, lets just say that the title grabbed me. I liked reading about King Arthur thru Mark Twain's eyes. Hell, I like Twain period. Once I started reading this book it had me wondering if this might have been bits and pieces of some lost work from him because it felt like it had twang(see what I just did there..lol) of Twain's style. I kinda had a feeling that there was some time travel but I thought it might have been to Gen, Washington's time not Washington DC to 2079. I'm really not a big fan o ...more
Angelica Lichtner
Apr 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a really great book. It is a continuing story from Mark Twains story about the famous king. I dont really know what to say about the book more than that I really enjoyed reading it. The story is well written and well presented. IT is easy to follow and from time to time very funny.

I like the style the book is written in, and how it is presented. I couldnt put the book down when I was reading it so my reading before bed turned out to be a whole nighter. Even if this book is different
Maggie
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The characters are very interesting to say the list and their personality traits really draw you into the story and they are very realistic. The plot is very well written. You’re hooked from the first word to the last! Overall King Arthur’s Sister in Washington’s Court is a very appealing read. I’d read it over and over again!
Tammy
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit different writing style than I am used to but I loved it. Queen Morgan is not what I expected. Her views on what was going on around her in the future time was at times hilarious. There was a bit more baseball than what I thought there would be by the title but overall an enjoyable read.

• The Cursed Nile (JJ Sterling, #2)
  • The Shadow of Atlantis (Shadows from the Past, #1)
  • BookElves Anthology, Volume 1
  • The Birth of Time: How Astronomers Measure the Age of the Universe
  • A Midsummer Night's Steampunk
  • Runes and Red Sails (Queenmaker Book 1)
  • Korolev: How One Man Masterminded the Soviet Drive to Beat America to the Moon
  • Latency Paradox of Barret Trufflehard
  • Marauder
  • A Pair of Docks (Derivatives of Displacement, #1)
  • Pursuit of the Guardian (Children of the Republic, #2)
  • Eternal Immortality (Eternal #2)
  • Love Least Expected
  • A Thousand Perfect Things
  • Ventus
  • Family Matters
  • The Camelot Kids: Volume One (The Camelot Kids, #1-4)
  • Equus (Rhonda Parrish's Magical Menageries)
Only two generations removed from Russian nobility, Kim Headlee lives on a farm with her family, pets, fish, livestock & assorted wildlife in the Appalachian Mountains of southwestern Virginia.