Start by marking “Witchlight” as Want to Read:
Witchlight

Witchlight

Jessi Zabarsky's lushly illustrated shoujo-adventure comic that introduces Lelek the witch as she blows through town one day, kidnapping the peasant girl Sanja. The unlikely pair grow more entangled as they travel together, looking for the missing half of Lelek's soul – the source of her true magical abilities. Both women are seeking to learn, in their own ways, how to be ...more
Expected publication: April 14th 2020 by Random House Graphic

To ask other readers questions about Witchlight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Witchlight

Start your review of Witchlight
Amber
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my first classes in college was an Intro to Philosophy class. The professor used "she" as the default pronoun. It blew my teenage mind. Similarly, Witchlight's world is overwhelmingly populated by queer female characters. They are the default. It's a similar kind of breath of fresh air.
Zach
Nov 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
The copy I read was an ARC, so it may be slightly different than the final.

Story was somewhat interesting, but I wish there was more background. I suppose that’s a weakness of graphic novels, not enough space. Anyway, there was a lot of background that wasn’t explained very well, and it had a lot of potential for expansion. Some of the scenes jumped around a little bit, and I had trouble figuring out what was going on. Honestly, if this were converted to a standard novel rather than graphic, it’
Matt Parker
I loved this so much. It's beautifully drawn, with some of the most striking facial expressions I've ever seen, and the story is superbly paced (though I would've liked a few more pages at the end). The whole thing kinda evoked Earthsea feelings in me: magical drama playing out in small towns and on the journeys between them. But with great warmth and humor.
Natalie
Nov 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Release date - April 14, 2020

The art was super cute and I liked the characters, but the story was a little hard to follow at times. I really liked Sanja’s upbeat, positive attitude, and the book had a good message about being yourself, but I wish it had been flushed out a little more. Still an enjoyable, cute read.
Alyssa
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Thank you to the publisher (and Martha!) for the ARC. This is a sweet story that reminds me a little of a fantasy ON A SUNBEAM -- unapologetically queer, with so much love and hope and heart.
Sami
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The style in this really reminded me of The Legend of Korra-and so did the two leads! More adorable witch love stories please.
Amanda Beverly
I received an advance copy of this book from the publisher, RH Graphic.

When I read the synopsis, I was very eager to read this graphic novel as it ticked all the boxes for me. The art work is very beautiful, however, upon reading this book I realized I was left with more questions at the end than when I started. The over arching message is a good one, of acceptance of self as well as those that are different than us. But there were so many questions I had about backstories and motivations that
Andrea
More reviews and book-ish content @ Club Book Mobile & Andrea RBK

Witchlight by Jesse Zabarsky is shoujo manga - Honestly, I just learned this term (and obvs this is my first time reading it), but given this is a graphic novel specifically for female teens, this exemplifies the genre! Lelek is a witch, and she meets Sanja in her magic journey. Their relationship goes from there, and there are emotional twists and turns as they go through things together. The illustrations in this one are
Lenoire
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lelek is a witch on a mission. As she makes her way through the city, she kidnaps a peasant girl, Sanja. As they continue to travel together, the pair becomes closer. The duo travel to different cities to find the missing half of Lelek's soul so, she can regain her magical powers. As they continue the journey together, they both search for ways to be whole again.

The graphic novel was beautifully illustrated. I thought the storyline was interesting but, I felt like the writing was a bit choppy. I
Anya
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, arc, comics, lgbtq
Thank you to Random House Graphic for the ARC!

This is the last of RH Graphic’s debut line that I read, and it is by far my favorite!!!!

I love anything to do with witches, I love graphic novels, and I love LGBT books and this is ALL THREE!

A queer witch! Her sword-fighting girlfriend! Magic! Adventure! Powerful women! And a non-binary plant-growing, ship-captaining witch friend!

The art in this book is gorgeous, and I love the color palate too. I have nothing bad to say about this book, so go buy
A. Nixon
(I read an ARC coming out April 2020.)

This was absolutely adorable. I like the slow development of their friendship (view spoiler) and the world that's been built here makes me want to read even more. It's fascinating!

The art is also super cute! And I like how the artist/author used different colours to show dreams and nighttime sequences. The art really drives the story here and it does a great job.

A sweet, highly engaging read! I didn't mean to read it all at
Juli Anna
This was definitely my favorite graphic novel that I read this year. It's a fantastic witchy adventure story, with two kick-butt women at its center. It's delightfully queer and the world its set in completely normalizes queer femmes and nonbinary people. Plus, there are witch fights! And at its heart, this is a beautiful tale of friendship/romance. I love it all! I will be watching this artist like a hawk for their next book.
Maia
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, lgbtq
Lelek is an angry young witch who makes her living by swindling villagers from town to town. Sanja is the daughter of a merchant who gets tangled up in Lelek's fight with an angry customer. When Lelek sees how well Sanja can handle a sword, she decides to kidnap her. The two girls form an uneasy alliance that softens into friendship as they journey together, through a beautifully drawn world of rolling hills and fields, forests of strange plants and winding rivers.
Lana
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it
I received this as an advanced readers edition and was excited to read it, cover looked great and plot seemed promising.

The artwork was good, but like many others have stated, there is a total lack of plot and most of the time I had no idea what was happening. I tried to lean on the artwork for the plot line and that really didn't help much either. I had hoped for a more entertaining or poignant read, being the first one out of the gate for this Random House imprint.
Katrina Feraco
Loved the two main characters and the way their friendship (relationship?) develop, but I wish the plot (especially the village subplot) was driven home a little harder, if that makes sense? The artwork was charming and whimsical, reminiscent of Studio Ghibli's "Howl's Moving Castle". I fell in love with the world and wished it was longer so I could stay longer too!
Caity
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The artwork is gorgeous and I love how clearly the emotions of the characters come through. The story is well done and well paced which can be difficult in a graphic novel. I wish the ending was a little longer and more detailed but it was still satisfying. Overall a great book.
Cozy Ink
I mean it was cute but like? There was no plot.
Caitlin
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I picked this comic up at Toronto Comic Arts festival back in May and only just got around to reading it. I really enjoyed both the art and the story! So cute!
Berit Johnson
Shelves: 2017
Lovely comic! <3
Raven Black
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Contemporary issues of gender & ones place. Strong 12 up (13 to 15 and adult)
Gretchen Alice
Read for SLJ! Keep an eye out for this one in April.
Andy
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, queer
LOVED this. a great comic about lgbt girls falling in love. it was so lovely and nice. the forgiveness trope was great. i want to wrap everyone in this comic up in a ball and cuddle them forever
Stacie
Nov 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was just a cute little graphic novel about friendship/a cute relationship/finding yourself. While it was enjoyable I didn't think it was anything life changing (if you're looking for that check out 'Mooncakes').
Ashlee Null
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fans of Nimona and Tea Dragon Society should def pick this up !!!!!

Edit: the more I think about this book, despite how much I enjoyed it I really have an issue with the fact that she fell in love with her kidnapper and none of it was addressed
KB
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Random House and the author for sending me an ARC of Witchlight

Witchlight is a beautiful story of loss, acceptance, friendship, and love. Sanja's life is forever changed when she meets Lelek, a witch. Lelek is chased out of Sanja's town when she is caught swindling people with her magic. On her way out of town she takes Sanja with her. Sanja strikes a bargain with Lelek, if Lelek promises to stop causing trouble she will teach her how to use a sword. This begins their journey to
Mollie
Jan 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
[update 1/2/2020] Another "reread to see if I want to keep" book, and I guess I was a lot more generous last year. I'm going to keep it for now because I want to see how it compares to the version being published by RHG!

I backed the Czap Books Kickstarter a while back, but hadn't gotten around to reading this until now. Suffice to say, it's a very lovely little comic! The art is really charming, particularly the backgrounds, and the story is well-told and sweet.
I didn't have any particular
Sarah Adams

• The Breakaways
  • Stage Dreams
  • The Crossover
  • This Was Our Pact
  • The Changeling King (Estranged, #2)
  • Kiss Number 8
  • Pilu of the Woods
  • The Grief Keeper
  • SKIP
  • The Babysitters Coven (The Babysitters Coven, #1)
  • Zatanna & the House of Secrets