Start by marking “Phantom Song (Toccata System #2)” as Want to Read:
Phantom Song (Toccata System #2)

Phantom Song

(Toccata System #2)

Angel of music. Instrument of justice.

As the fashionably veiled operatic sensation of Landry City, Claire Leroux is adored by the masses. But Claire must never let her fans discover what hides behind her mask--a body that’s half-machine and hellbent on vengeance.

Offstage, Claire hunts for the man whose violent act made her a cyborg and killed her parents. The people of Lan
Published August 9th 2019 by Spells & Spaceships Press

To ask other readers questions about Phantom Song, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Phantom Song

Jenni
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have just finished reading Phantom Song, and wow! I loved it.

I have thoroughly enjoyed both installments of the Toccata System series and I cannot wait for book three! I loved Phantom Song just as much as I loved Parting Shadows and it was so nice to spend some more time with the characters.

The focus of this novella is on Claire and Iz and what each is willing to sacrifice for the other. I loved both of these ladies so much. It makes my grumpy heart glad when I get to 'meet' a grumpy characte
iam
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fast-paced sci-fi f/f retelling of Phantom of the Opera featuring vengeful cyborgs.
What more could you possibly want?!

Content warnings include: violence, death of parents, decribtions of pain and injury, character gets unconsensually turned into a cyborg, discrimination against cyborgs, terrorism.

While Phantom Song plays directly after Parting Shadows, it has different protagonists, and references and vaguely explains the main events of the prequel. I guess it can be read as standalone, but
Chasia Lloyd
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The f/f sci-fi Phantom of the Opera we deserve

This great sequel to Parting Shadows borrows a lot of imagery from Phantom of the Opera...then it ramps up both the amount of schemes AND ladies kissing. Claire and Iz are both total badasses. I love this book, and don't know how to review it properly. Maybe I'll just write a Q&A?

Q. Can it be read as a standalone?
A. Yes, but Astra (autocorrect keeps trying to turn her into Extra, which isn't untrue) and Henry are far more enjoyable if you have re
Amy
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Firstly I would like to thank Kate Sheeran Swed for providing me an eARC copy of Phantom Song, the sequel to Parting Shadows, which I really enjoyed and also rated 4*.

Phantom Song is the direct sequel to Parting Shadows, picking up where we left Iz, Astra, and Henry, but this time the main characters are different and we follow Iz and her ex-girlfriend Claire. In all honesty I did miss the character of Astra having more of a lead role because I became hooked on her in the last book and think sh
Michelle
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Landry City was made of music."
Music and space and a female Phantom character . . . YES!
Every time I read one of Kate's stories, I fall in love with her writing all over again. This book is such a fantastic, lyrical sci-fi Phantom of the Opera retelling. I loved every moment of this ride loaded with action AND heart, and I can't wait for the next installment in the series!
Pat Eroh
Aug 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Not for me I suppose. I did not really get into the story from the beginning and just never was able to. I love space opera and such but I suppose just not this.

Susan
Aug 24, 2019
Erin Knuth
Sep 18, 2019
Kate Swed
Jun 20, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Linda
Pete
Sep 07, 2019
Lexi Biondi
Sep 10, 2019
Kate Sheeran Swed loves hot chocolate, plastic dinosaurs, and airplane tickets. She has trekked along the Inca Trail to Macchu Picchu, hiked on the Mýrdalsjökull glacier in Iceland, and climbed the ruins of Masada to watch the sunrise over the Dead Sea. She holds degrees in music from the University of Maine and Ithaca College, as well as an MFA in Fiction from Pacific University. Her stories are ...more

Toccata System (2 books)
  • Parting Shadows (Toccata System #1)