Start by marking “Dovetail” as Want to Read:

Availability: 100 copies available, 1988 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Feb 09 - Mar 09, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Dovetail, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dovetail

Start your review of Dovetail
    Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
    I think I would classify this as women’s fiction but with a good deal of romance.I must admit that I was hoping for a bit more about Pearls’ life but the book centers mainly about one particular event that she feels responsible for. She knows that she doesn’t have a long time to live and comes up with a plan to at least atone for part of her history.

The novel is told in a dual storyline, the past is the life Pearl lived when she was young, the second oldest of seven daughters to a newly widowed
    Christine
    Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Recommended to Christine by: Karen McQuestion
    This is a story that takes place in small town Wisconsin over two timelines, 1916 and 1983. I would characterize it as a family drama/romance combo with a twist. The older tale revolves around nineteen-year-old Alice who is caring for her dad and six younger sisters after the untimely death of her mother. It also features John Lawrence, a new hire helping out on the family farm. Alice’s seventeen-year-old sister Pearl also has a major role in the 1916 timeline. The 1983 setting brings back Pearl ...more
    Pauline
    Nov 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: netgalley
    A story set in two timelines.
    1916 Pearl is the second of seven sisters. When a young student comes to work for her father Pearl is jealous that he prefers her older sister Alice.
    1983 Joe is in hospital because he suffers terrible nightmares. His grandmother Pearl who he has never met comes to collect him to help her empty her family's home so she can sell it.
    After he arrives in Pearl's home and he learns more about his family's history Joe's nightmares begin to resemble things that happened in
    Karen McQuestion
    Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
    This book has been rattling around in my head for quite a while, probably about four years. All along I've been calling it Dovetail and although bits and pieces were coming to me (like listening to a radio station almost out of range) I waited to start writing until it was more fully formed in my head. After I finished each of my last few books, my younger son Jack would ask, "And now are you going to write Dovetail?"

Every time I said, "Not just yet."

And then one day, I knew the time was right
    Camille Maio
    Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    This is my first book by Karen McQuestion and I look forward to reading more! I expected a typical girl-moves-to-small-town kind of story, but it was so so much more than that. With a touch of magical realism, the past and the present are found to be deeply connected, the romance is authentic and moving, and the story is captivating. Put this one on your list!
    Katie
    Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
    First, a huge thank you to Karen McQuestion for sending me this ARC earlier this month in exchange for an honest review.

Dovetail is an intriguing novel that deals with family secrets, love, and death. There is a dash of magical realism, a sprinkle of suspense, a feisty little old lady, and parallel timelines that keep you wanting to turn the page.

In 1983, Joe Arneson finds himself in an inpatient mental institution because he is having realistic dreams that can't be explained. His family and the
    Bambi Rathman
    Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    "I've long believed that no one should be judged on the worst thing they've ever done. And not on the best thing, either, for that matter." "Human beings are much more complex than one event that happened on one day in a very long life." Pearl has reached the end of her very long life and has lived with guilt, regrets, sorrow and pain. What secrets is she keeping and why is it so hard to reveal them?

The characters in the book are people that any of us could know and could relate to. They have
    Stephanie *Spunky Avenger*
    won this via Goodreads giveaways in exchange for an honest review. All my opinions are my own.
    -----

Dovetail has by far become one of my favorite books that I look forward to rereading and I seldomly reread a book that I've already read. I don't even know where to start because I don't want to give any of the story away.
    The main characters of the book have ties with the characters in the past and they all slowly intertwine. It was an easy read that was such a pleasure to read. You get drawn into
    Julianne MacLean
    Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Karen McQuestion has crafted an emotionally suspenseful tale that explores the intriguing possibilities of genetic memory. It’s an inspired story—a marvelous, evocative read, the perfect blend of mystery, magic, tragedy, and hope. I absolutely loved it, and I devoured it from start to finish.
    Christine Nolfi
    Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Can love survive all obstacles? In DOVETAIL, Karen McQuestion crafts a story spanning generations, one brimming with family secrets between sisters, breathtaking suspense, and the undeniable power of love everlasting. I dare you to put the book down before reaching the triumphant conclusion. I couldn’t.
    Karen Kay
    I received this from Netgalley.com for a review.

1983: Joe suffers from debilitating nightmares and his parents commit him to a psych ward. 1916: Pearl (Joe's grandma) is jealous over her sister's new beau and feels responsible for her untimely death.

Rating duo timeline stories are hard for me because I usually prefer the older timeline and feel that I can't give the whole story proper attention. The story is clean and appropriate for younger teens.

Robin
    Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Amazing story,written with duel timelines and two stories.One a beginning,one an ending.Love,forgiveness, friendship and so much more. Another great book by Karen Mcquestion. I highly recommend it!
    Andrea
    Feb 11, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    "...a spellbinding new novel of enduring love, family secrets, and mysterious death," Not sure how accurate a description, but...

I love a dual time line. Here: 1916 and 1983. And a good story.

Off to a promising start, I was roped in. But near the end I threw my hands up. I wanted to finish to see how it turned out [though I had accurately determined the trajectory]; I'd had enough [too neat and tidy].

Pearl is the continuum. A young woman in 1916; dying of cancer in 1983. She connects with Joe
    Linda Zagon
    Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Karen McQuestion, author of “Dovetail” has written a captivating, intriguing, intense, memorable, emotional and suspenseful novel. The Genres for this novel are Fiction, Historical Romance. and Suspense. There are two timelines in the story and characters in the different timelines have something relatable and in common. The author describes her characters as complex and complicated. There are deep secrets, mysteries, and murder.

Joe Arneson has very strange and tormenting dreams, that have
    Plum Report (Kimberly)
    A big thank you to Karen McQuestion for sending me an ARC edition of Dovetail in exchange for an honest review.

There were many things I enjoyed about this book, but it was the character development that really heightened this story. Especially one of the sub-characters. Ricky's character surprised me. Meet-cute or clean romances are fun to read, but when Karen introduced Ricky's character and added that level of suspense I was even more hooked into discovering how everything would play out.

Elaine
    Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    This was a first for me by Karen mcquestion, this was a Arc that I absolutely loved I felt like I was right there in the story with Alice, and John. Pearl Frank.
    And Joe and Kathleen.
    This story goes from the year 19 16 - to 1983 back and forth in time to the Future but Alice taking care of her family after her mother dies her younger sisters and her father. A young man named John comes to help out on the farm Alice not knowing they would soon fall in love this young man has a background that back
    Joyce Stewart Reviews
    Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
    A Novel of Love Everlasting
    Author : Karen McQuestion
    Description :
    From the bestselling author of Hello Love comes a spellbinding new novel of enduring love, family secrets, and mysterious death. Joe Arneson’s ordinary life is upended by troubling dreams of himself as a different man in another place and time. It isn’t until he visits his estranged grandmother, Pearl, in her Wisconsin hometown that a startling connection emerges. Drawn into his family’s past, Joe discovers secrets
    Tena
    Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Did you ever get to the end of a book and wish you had just started it? This was my reaction to Dovetail by Karen McQuestion. I wasn't sure what I expected but I definitely got more than what I assumed I would. The story had everything I enjoy in a book, converging timelines and history! When I do a book review I don't like to rehash the story. I figure if you are reading the review then you've read the synopsis. I give you my honest opinion of the story. And honestly, I loved it!! McQuestion ...more
    Marissa Benners
    Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Dovetail is an emotionally-moving and heart-warming read. Set across two timelines, this book explores the transcendental nature of love. The author seamlessly weaves together a number of genres, including romance, family drama, suspense, and magical realism to tell a believable, compelling, and refreshing story. The first timeline is set in 1916 and covers the events that unfold when a young medical student arrives to work for a widowed father of seven daughters. The second timeline takes place ...more
    Kathy
    Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Dovetail is an amazingly unique book. It’s written in a style I have never encountered. It is a story of beginnings and memories. It is a story of Kathleen finding herself after a life of being controlled by her husband. It is Joe’s full circle journey to escape his terrifying dreams. It is a story of forgiveness and family. It was a very difficult book to put down, and it has stayed with me long after I read the last page. I highly recommend Dovetail! Thank you NetGalley for an advanced reader ...more
    Edi McNinch
    Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Interesting storyline, two time periods, similar events,setting the continuum right, a perfect dovetail. Some may consider events science fiction or fantasy but parallels in lifetimes are well presented Sometimes moves a little slow but it's a pleasant ride. Characters are realistic, conversational and likeable. You can guess at the outcome but by then you will be hooked and want to read the action. The book cover gives adequate description so I won't go there. Read and enjoy!
    I received this
    ROBIN RUIZ
    Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Loved, loved , loved. This book.
    The two timelines kept me turning the pages all through the night.
    This author has become one of my all time favorites.
    Thank you to Netgalley, and the publisher for my advanced reading copy in exchange for my honest review
    Rena
    Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I’ve only read a couple of books by this author but have loved every one of them. This one is no exception. The twists and turns this story takes kept me riveted to it. I look forward to reading more from this author.
    Thank you to the author and publisher for the advance reader copy. All opinions and thoughts are my own.
    Karen Trosterud
    Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    This was such a good book! Filled with wonderful characters and an amazing story! Highly recommend
    Andrea
    Feb 10, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: netgalley
    review to follow
    Beatrice Followill
    Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Loved this Compelling , Emotional, Intriguing read ! Pearl and Joe are wonderful characters , each with their own story to tell , they are family but only meet when Pearl shows up to take Joe out of the mental facility he's at for having disturbing dreams. Pearl is trying to right a old wrong , Joe is trying to figure out what the dreams mean , they each are connected to the past ,secrets and fate.. I would recommend this book to all book lovers of any genre.
    Becky
    First sentence: Time has a way of evening things out. I was beautiful once, turning heads and garnering admiring glances, but now I would not stand out in a group of my peers.

Premise/plot: Joe Arneson, our hero, is a reluctant patient at Trendale Psychiatric Treatment Center. He’s been having vivid nightmares, recurring nightmares, four of them. Doctors are stumped. His family is stumped. Joe feels that since the doctors are clueless and therapy clearly isn’t working, he should be able to
    Plum Report (Kimberly)
    First, I would like to thank Karen McQuestion for sending me an ARC edition in exchange for an honest review. I've been following Karen's author career for over two years now and I'm so happy to add her to one of the author's my little book blog follows. Her writing style never disappoints and her stories always please me. As much as I've enjoyed her previous books, I have to say Dovetail might be my favorite so far.

Dual point-of-views is nothing new to Karen's books, and she's got the
    Sheri
    Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This story unfolds in a unique fashion with many surprises along the way. There are two parallel stories, one set in 1983 and the other set in 1916.
    In 1983, Joe meets Pearl when she rescues him from an in-patient treatment facility. While working for Pearl, Joe meets Kathleen a local shop owner. From the start the two have an instant, yet unexplainable sense of knowing the other. In 1916 we meet Alice, who as the oldest of seven girls, gracefully manages all the responsibilities of maintaining
     Bookoholiccafe
    Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: arc, fiction, read-2020
    This is one of the greatest fiction books I have read recently. The story is set in Pullman, a small town in Wisconsin and has dual story-line. The first, is in 1916 that is told by Pearl and the second is in 1983 that is the time Joe who is Pearls grandson.
    Pearl is the second oldest of seven daughters living with their father and has recently lost their mother because of influenza. the oldest sister, Alice, is the one keeping the household together, always moving from the garden to the kitchen
    « previous 1 3 next »

• True to Me
    • Jilted: Nico and Sophie (Cliffside Bay Book 9)
    • Wildflower Christmas (The Wildflower House #3)
    • Behind Every Lie
    • All About Evie
    • Lies that Bind: Unraveling the Secrets of a Dysfunctional Family
    • A Light Last Seen
    • Brave Girl, Quiet Girl: A Novel
    • An Everyday Hero (Heart of a Hero #2)
    • Little Secrets
    • Keep Me Afloat
    • Scarred: Trey and Autumn (Cliffside Bay, #8)
    • The New Husband
    • The Book of Lost Friends
    • Paris Never Leaves You
    • The Companion
    • The Whispers of War
    • Wildland
    Karen McQuestion is the bestselling author of books for all ages. Some of her titles include Hello Love, Life on Hold, The Long Way Home, and the Edgewood series. Her publishing story has been covered by the Wall Street Journal, Entertainment Weekly, and NPR. She has also appeared on ABC’s World News Now and America This Morning. McQuestion lives in Hartland, Wisconsin.

Her website: