Start by marking “Alice by Heart” as Want to Read:
Alice by Heart

Alice by Heart

liked it 3.00  ·  Rating details ·  32 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A young girl takes refuge in a London Tube station during WWII and confronts grief, loss, and first love with the help of her favorite book, Alice in Wonderland, in the debut novel from Tony Award-winning playwright Steven Sater.

London, 1940. Amidst the rubble of the Blitz of World War II, fifteen-year-old Alice Spencer and her best friend, Alfred, are forced to take
Published February 4th 2020 by Razorbill

To ask other readers questions about Alice by Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alice by Heart

liked it Average rating 3.00  ·

Start your review of Alice by Heart
Lindsey Lynn (thepagemistress)
I was gifted this book in exchange for an honest review.

3 star

This was a great premise to blend historical fiction and the whimsy of Wonderland. I didn't have a huge connection to the story and the jumping between book and reality took away from the story for me. I feel like it was a great way to show how light can be shed on really dark times through the power of books. If you are a fan of historical fiction, I think you'll love this.
Kales
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star, arc, prh, ya-general, play
I need to preface this review by saying that I saw the off-Broadway production of ALICE BY HEART, the show that this book is based on. I LOVE that show. It is a brilliant piece of theatre and when I heard there was going to be a book based on the same story, I knew I was going to love it. So I was going into the biased, and while I'm warning you all of that, I don't really care. I still loved this book.

The story plucked all of the same heartstrings. It's a raw and emotional story about
mary
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020
if you’ve read this but haven’t listened to the musical, do yourself a favour and listen to it ASAP. the musical is much better.
Sarah Hecke
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
*An ARC was given to me in exchange for an honest review.*

It was okay, just not the book for me. I’m a huge AIW fan and I did have things I liked about it like the Tea Party and Queen of Hearts scenes, the relationship between Alice and Alfred, as well as all the photos of both the original story and history. Oh and how the author went off the original tale.

But unfortunately, it wasn’t my cup of tea (SORRY I HAD TO ) and the writing style was so hard for me to understand anything. I got the
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
**Huge thanks to the Publisher for sending me a copy! FRTC**
Carly [A Beauty & Her Books]
DNF @ 110
May return to at a later time
Maggie  Williams
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read a lot a lot of Alice based books and this one holds up, at times it felt like I was reading Alice due to Slater's style imitating Carroll's to an amazing degree. Reading this just gives a whole new layer to the musical, especially since I'll probably never get a chance to actually see the musical... The characters feel real and not forced, A+!!!
Herminia Chow
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
About the book: It’s based on a musical that follows Alice Spencer in London during 1940. She has to take shelter in a tube station because of World War II. Alice reads her favourite book, Alice in Wonderland, to Alfred, who is sick with tuberculosis. But slowly the two worlds begin to blur.

I received an advanced review copy from Penguin Random House in exchange for an honest review.

First impressions: Even though I’ve never read Alice in Wonderland before, I found the premise intriguing. It took
Jo
Jan 27, 2020 marked it as to-read
duuuude, I just saw the trailer on ig and it looks so freaking good ...more
Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-mt-bookpile
I'd expected - hoped for - more of the Alice and less of the WWII Tube evacuations. Even the flashback parts, with Alice and Alfred as children bonding over, and memorizing, the Carroll books, felt less magical than anticipated. This is a novelization of a Broadway musical, so perhaps those aspects are clearly shown in the set and actions and didn't translate well to book format?
Melanie
TheArtsyArtichoke
Feb 09, 2020
Elizabeth
Feb 17, 2020

• Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • The Tenant
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • Meg and Jo
  • Disappearing Earth
  • Frankly in Love (Frankly in Love, #1)
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • Tunnel of Bones (Cassidy Blake, #2)
  • House on Fire
  • Solitaire
  • Field Trip
  • A Summer to Remember (Bedwyn Prequels, #2)
  • Letters from Max: A Poet, a Teacher, a Friendship
  • The Surface Breaks
  • The Horse and His Boy (Chronicles of Narnia, #5)
  • Savage Appetites: Four True Stories of Women, Crime, and Obsession
  • The Sin Eater’s Daughter (The Sin Eater’s Daughter, #1)
  • Countless