Start by marking “Being at Your Best When Your Kids Are at Their Worst: Practical Compassion in Parenting” as Want to Read:

A practical, meditative approach that can be used in the moment to help you stay calm and balanced when your child's behavior is pushing you to your limit--by the popular author ofSimplicity Parenting.

When children are at their most difficult and challenging situations arise, how can we react in a way that reflects our family values and expectations? Often, when children “
Published September 3rd 2019 by Shambhala Publications, Inc.

Be the first to ask a question about Being at Your Best When Your Kids Are at Their Worst

Start your review of Being at Your Best When Your Kids Are at Their Worst: Practical Compassion in Parenting
Genevieve Trono
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This title totally grabbed my attention and then I saw it was by the same author as Simplicity Parenting and I was sold. One of the most challenging parts of parenting is staying even-keeled and compassionate when the noise and chaos level is high, which is often...Our kids are wonderful and parenting is also the hardest thing I have ever done.

My husband and I often talk about the daily struggles being the hardest part of this stage of life. It can feel like a rollercoaster ride of emotions and
Dorothy
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent parenting book for parents who often find themselves, "losing it!" I might have to actually purchase this book for future references. :)
Candice Cleniuk
Nov 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting-ece
"Acknowledging and understanding that our children are disoriented rather than disobedient when they act out helps us embrace a more accepting attitude."
Dara (Dara Reads OK)
ARC/Netgalley

I thought the first part of this book was great with a lot of very helpful concrete tips for those of us in the full swing of parenting older children. Reading the book was worth it for the first third and I took several notes that I think I'll find very valuable. The rest of the book goes into the compassionate response meditative practice. I find mindfulness and meditation very useful but found this section to be clunky and drawn out. The lengthy practice does not seem incredibly
Kathryn
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Between raising kids and teaching elementary kiddos, challenging moments are not uncommon. This was a fantastic read geared largely toward adults - understanding how you were raised influences current parental approaches, strategies to emotionally regulate in heated moments and more! A fast read chock filled with some brilliant nuggets of wisdom - a must for those raising kids, planning to raise kids or working with children!
Joanna
Sep 26, 2019 added it
Skimmed this and it wasn't for me. I really like how Payne emphasizes simplicity, parental authority, being values-centered instead of child-centered, and not being swayed by trends or what other parents are doing, but this book only briefly touches on those. Instead, it's more of a mindfulness exercise for parents.
Jo
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very practical handbook about how to deal on challenging situations where children need the best of us. Kim provide real life examples with strong advices and recommendations. Excellent book!

#BeingAtYourBestWhenYourKidsAreAtTheirWorst #NetGalley
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved a lot of this book! There were some areas where my ideals didn’t align with the author’s, but that didn’t bother me. Overall, a very helpful tool for parenting, and honestly, relationships in general.
Kelly
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
Helpful information. Well explained strategies and examples.
Ingrid
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
Inspiring, but lacking in much practical help.
Csimplot Simplot
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book!!!
Teresa
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
There is a lot of wisdom here. Great read.
Erika
Nov 29, 2019
Jasonn Glass
Dec 15, 2019
Sara Wilson
rated it did not like it
Jan 23, 2020
Sep 18, 2019
Amanda  Campbell
Nov 23, 2019

• The Glittering Hour
  • Fair Play: A Game-Changing Solution for When You Have Too Much to Do (And More Life to Live)
  • Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators
  • Such a Fun Age
  • Wild Game: My Mother, Her Lover, and Me
  • The Confession Club (Mason, #3)
  • My Friend Anna: The True Story of a Fake Heiress
  • Night Boat to Tangier
  • She Felt Like Feeling Nothing
  • The Body in Question
  • She Said: Breaking the Sexual Harassment Story That Helped Ignite a Movement
A consultant and trainer to 250 U.S. independent and public schools and school districts, Kim John Payne, M.Ed., has been a school and family counselor for more than thirty years. He has also consulted for clinics, training centers, and educational associations in South Africa, Hungary, Israel, Russia, Ireland, Switzerland, Germany, Australia, the United Kingdom, and Canada. He has served as the ...more