Start by marking “The Audacity” as Want to Read:
The Audacity

The Audacity

A wild ride stuffed to the cut-lines with humor, heart, and space shenanigans.

May’s humdrum life gets flung into hyperdrive when she’s abducted, but not all aliens are out to probe her. She’s inadvertently rescued by Xan who’s been orbiting Earth in a day-glo orange rocket ship, watching re-runs of “I Love Lucy”.

Seizing the opportunity for a better life, May learns how to
ebook, 1, 300 pages
Published August 6th 2019 by Laura Loup

To ask other readers questions about The Audacity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Audacity

Start your review of The Audacity
Lex Kent
I have to be honest that this read was a struggle for me. The only reason I am even giving this book 3 stars is because the writing quality is there (except for the use of ‘irregardless’) what wasn’t there was my personal enjoyment. The other ratings/reviews are all high so I do want to point out that I’m an outlier here.

Anyone who follows my reviews knows I love books with imagination and that are different, I crave variety. I love sci-fi and thought this oddball book would be right up my
G.M. Nair
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Laura Loup's The Audacity is the book I've been looking for for a long time.

Now, I've said this before, and I'm going to say it again: when people review Sci-fi/Fantasy comedies, they inevitably fall into the trap of comparing them to Douglas Adams or Terry Pratchett, because they really lack any other significant frame of reference.

... I'm going to fall into that same trap for the second time in as many months, despite my self-awareness. That's because you can see incredibly clear strands of
S.E. Anderson
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ok, this is BY FAR the funnest and funniest book I've read this year!

I don't even know where to start with the review. Do you like relatable main characters who are thrown into insane situations? Check. Do you love non-creepy, totally healthy, absolutely adorable men-women friendships? Check. Do you love mad, off the hook, oddball scenarios taken in stride? CHECK. This book has everything!

(Also, were you a fan of the lesbian purple goddess who just won the world cup? Um, this book has one. It
Emily Patton
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Audacity by Laura Loop is a colorful and eccentric book that was hard to put down. From start to finish you're pulled in to a colorful and eccentric universe ready to be explored.

Our story follows May, a Sonic Drive-In waitress who is growing tired of her monotonous lifestyle. Until one day, fate had something in store for her as she is pulled in to an intergalactic adventure she could never have imagined. And, to her surprise, befriending a rather flamboyant and charming blue alien with a
R.M. Hamrick
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A categorically delightful cast, beoops of laugh-out-loud moments, and a bit of truth, relevancy, and complete irrelevancy, akin to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy or Too Many Curses. It's good-natured fun, and an absolute pleasure to read.

Xan and May really come alive on the pages -- Xan is a blue-skinned alien who adores I Love Lucy. May is a Sonic employee who just wants to get home, with or without using her 'Key Fist'.

Then, an AMC Gremlin appears.

Race your obnoxiously orange spaceship to
Allister
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Where to start? The characters are so relatable and fun to get to know. It's like being on a ride with new friends who become family. The book is fantastically written. I haven't literally laughed out loud at a book since Good Omens, and Laura Loup had me laughing for a solid amount of time. I'd say more about that, but I don't want to spoil it for you!

Cleverly written and thought out as well as highly imaginative. I highly recommend stepping aboard The Audacity, and make sure you're ready for a
Michael Stoop
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Audacity is a spiritual descendant of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and if you loved that book, you should definitely give this one a look. Laura Loup keeps the pace quick and the jokes flowing throughout. The characters are distinct and lively, and clearly the result of a lot of love from the author. The real draw here, though, are the gags that Loup weaves through the text - none of which I'll spoil for you here. Overall, the perfect palate cleanser for the end of a day in our ...more
Trista M
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Is life gettin' you down? Are you constantly craving flawless humor and space adventures? Then this book exactly what you need! Fantastic characters, intriguing conundrums, space racing, time travel, smile-inducing friendships and so much orange.

Caution: Only read this book if you enjoy laughing.
Ashley
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bb-review
The Audacity is one of those books you are either going to love, or you’re going to hate. I LOVED this book. It’s fresh, reminiscent of Douglas Adams’s writing, breaks the fourth wall, and keeps you laughing throughout.

May, a Sonic Drive-In carhop gets pulled right off of earth and out of the monotony of her life to find herself in space in the middle of an adventure even her wildest dreams couldn’t have imagined.
She’s rescued by Xan, an a blue alien who has a fondness for ‘I Love Lucy’ and a
Rebecca Langham
Nov 14, 2019 rated it liked it
A quirky and refreshing addition to the world of sci-fi, this is a book that I absolutely appreciate whilst also recognising that it wasn't quite my cup of tea.

Being a story that is low on romance and high on snark, the description, style, and content seemed like exactly the sort of thing I should have loved. But something just didn't quite click for me. The humour, whilst certainly recognisable, didn't amuse. The characters, whilst interesting and entertaining, never made their mark on me as a
Zack
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love sci-fi, humor, and friendships without forced romance? Need more books with queer characters who aren't sad because they're queer? Want more badass female characters who can be strong without being harsh? Need more male characters who aren’t just brimming with toxic masculinity? Desperately in search of sci-fi that isn’t a militaristic male power fantasy?

Then you'll love The Audacity!

It’s hard not to smile when reading this book. The characters are a delight, the prose is witty, the
Martakus
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the best book I've read in a while. Its plot is enjoyably absurd - the comparison to Hitchhiker's Guide to the galaxy really is fitting - and there's a laugh-out-loud pun on practically any page. I greatly enjoyed reading it and can't wait for more from this author!

I should say that the LGBTQ aspect of the book was developed very little, so if you're looking for a book with a focus on queer identities and romances, this one is not for you. However, if you're looking for an action-packed
Joy Lewis
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Audacity is a trip--and I mean that in the best way. From the moment they were thrown together, I relished the portrayal of May and Xan’s friendship, which felt genuine and wholesome. This book will make you want to be bffs with the protagonists!
And for fellow fans of Douglas Adams, this rang with the tradition of absurd yet hilarious writing. If you’re looking for a cosmos full of slightly dangerous orange paint, sentient sponges, one Goddess of Chaos, wonky translator chips, and alien
Clay Asher
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
It isn't Douglas Adams, but then only Douglas Adams was Douglas Adams. It'd be boring if everyone wrote like everyone else.

What it IS, is a very fun sci-fi romp with enjoyable (and surprisingly likeable) characters with humour in a similar vein to Douglas Adams. If you read it with that comparison solely in your head you'd struggle, but once you boot it out you'll have a lot more fun.

Don't suppose someone can find me an Osy? That thing stole the show whenever it appeared. (Sorry May.)
Toni Puhle
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The most fun book I have read in years - I fell in love with May and her life in the galaxy - i hope the author continues in this vein and produces more outstanding works for us mere mortals! I feel I have experienced hyperdrive personally and have the galaxy at my fingertips - not bad for a Monday morning!
Douglass12
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved my time aboard the Audacity as this author took me on a journey to great characters, lots of humor and quick wit and more humor and could visualize myself amongst the life forms. Awesome illustrations as well! Want more!!
Jennifer Olenic
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
So much fun! I have the tarot deck, so it was fun getting to meet some of the characters properly. Definitely worth a read if you're into goofy sci-fi.
Becky
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wildly fun read. I had a hard time putting this one down. Full of humor and a few space races.
Adam Messer
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interestingly different

This is a neat story, full of wit and humor, mixed with sarcasm, and social commentary. If you like sci-fi humor, you will like this one.
Courtney Victoria
Jun 21, 2019
Scott
Oct 22, 2019
Laura Loup
Jun 19, 2019 is currently reading it  ·  (Review from the author)
MELANIE ROBERTSON
Amy Yoder
Oct 15, 2019
Elora K
Oct 25, 2019

• Wayward Son (Simon Snow, #2)
  • The Darker Arts (Frey & McGray, #5)
  • Rise Sister Rise: A Guide to Unleashing the Wise, Wild Woman Within
  • Echoes from the Fringe, Vol. 1
  • The Call of Cthulhu
  • James Bond, Vol. 2: Eidolon
  • James Bond, Vol. 1: VARGR
  • Bone, Vol, 1: Out from Boneville (Bone, #1)
  • Everyday Witch Tarot
  • The Ascent to Godhood (Tensorate, #4)
  • Between Two Minds: Awakening
  • The Moment of Lift: How Empowering Women Changes the World
  • A Demon in the Desert (Grimluk, Demon Hunter, #1)
  • Everyday Tarot: Unlock Your Inner Wisdom and Manifest Your Future
  • The Grim Assistant (Tales from the Grim, #1)
  • Batman: White Knight
  • Warbreaker (Warbreaker, #1)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind, #1)