Start by marking “Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)

Ninth House

(Alex Stern #1)

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  2,624 ratings  ·  1,042 reviews
The mesmerizing adult debut from #1 New York Times bestselling author Leigh Bardugo

Galaxy “Alex” Stern is the most unlikely member of Yale’s freshman class. Raised in the Los Angeles hinterlands by a hippie mom, Alex dropped out of school early and into a world of shady drug dealer boyfriends, dead-end jobs, and much, much worse. By age twenty, in fact, she is the sole surviv
Hardcover, Waterstones Exclusive Edition, 480 pages
Published October 8th 2019 by Gollancz

To ask other readers questions about Ninth House, please sign up.
Amy aim who knows? it could only be released to the jungle for all we know. (obviously they wont, tropical birds cant read or maybe they can)

·  2,624 ratings  ·  1,042 reviews

Chaima ✨ شيماء
Leigh Bardugo said she came here to write a book that's gonna "fuck us up a little".

....I'm in.

Trigger Warnings (courtesy of Roe): rape of a child, sexual assault under influence of a magical drug, drowning, heavy violence, gore, drug addiction, overdosing, death, suicide, blackmail, self-harm, and forced consumption of human waste.
Nick
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the power that that has, the intelligence that that has, the clearance that that has, the access that that has, the influence that that has, the profile that that has, the international implications that that has
Melanie

ARC acquired at Book Expo in exchange for an honest review.

“There were always excuses for why girls died.”

Ninth House is a love letter to living and surviving unspeakable abuse. This is a book all about trauma, and PTSD, and healing, in any and every way that you can. This is a book for victims, who have felt they will never get the piece of them back that someone forcefully took. This is a book for anyone who was willing to do anything to feel empowered after something horrible occurred. This is a book about thereview.
Kai
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: feminist-as-fuck
"There were always excuses for why girls died."

To answer your question: yes, it really is that good.

Ninth House and I had a bit of a slow start. The new world that Bardugo has created might not be set in a fictional fantasy universe, but it features enough new concepts, characters, and settings that it takes some time to take it all in. Not only does every character have an alias and maybe even a nickname, so do the buildings at Yale. And since all my Yale knowledge is based on that c
jessica
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
leigh bardugo is synonymous with five stars, as far as im concerned.

so believe the hype because its real, its here, and its very adult.

alex stern is doing slytherin proud. 🖤🐍

____________________________________________

the hot trend for 2019 is snakes on covers and it makes me wish i was a slytherin. their brand/culture is t h r i v i n g.

5 stars
Chelsea Humphrey
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Flatiron Books
What an incredible story. Between the in-depth imagination that went into creating the magic behind the houses, to the character development shown in Alex, to the surprisingly complex and engrossing mysteries at hand (one solved, and one saved for the next installment), I have to say that this lived up to the hype and went beyond it. Full review to come.

****************

Do you ever just sit at home with approximately 9,999 books feeling like you have nothing to read because that ONE book you're dying to read doesn't come out
Sabaa Tahir
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is just fabulous. It has excellent worldbuilding; deep, dark mystery; fascinating characters that you root for even when you don't like their choices; a twisty, original and unexpected plot that had me guessing all the way until the end. Highly, highly recommend.
karen
NOW AVAILABLE!!!

There were always excuses for why girls died.

i am going to review this carefully, for all of you who were too cool or too civilized to run for copies at BEA and have to wait for october to grab a copy. me, i regret nothing.

when i first heard about this book, there was only a little teaser of a synopsis available, and when i finally got my hands on it, i didn’t revisit it or read anything printed on the ARC - i just dove in blind.

let’s just say i was unprepared for what this was. i’d assumed, from having read allAVAILABLE!!!
There
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Just realized this is an Adult book?? I'm even more excited for it!!
Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰
do i have a considerable amount of books that i already need to read? would i drop (quote me on this) everything for this? if leigh bardugo wrote a 100,000 word essay on the growing strategies of cacti, would i also do the same? yes, yes and also yes.

description

description

"By the time Alex managed to get the blood out of her good wool coat, it was too warm to wear it. Spring had come on grudgingly; pale-blue mornings failed to deepen, turning instead to moist, sullen afternoons, and stubborn frost lined the road in high, dirt
Prince Charming Doesn't Exist
oh i'm sorry did i make a mistake?

The Darkling didn't make the cover

The Darkling is the whole book himself

And Leigh was laughing behind

pre reading:
Two theories:

Either The Darkling made the cover

or

The cover is The Darkling
Caz (littlebookowl)
HOLY WOW.

This was something else - incredible writing, so atmospheric, bloody, gruesome, intense.

The ending was RUDE, I need the next book NOW!

Content warning: sexual assault including child rape & date rape drug, self-harm, suicide, physical abuse, overdose, violence, murder.
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
I JUST DIED. A NEW LEIGH BARDUGO BOOK.

JUST TAKE ALL MY MONEY NOW.
• Lindsey Dahling •
Me: I can’t believe I have to wait until October for THE BEST DAY OF THIS YEAR!

Everyone else: Your wedding is in June.....
emma
QUEEN LEIGH HAS DONE IT AGAIN.

review to come / 4.5 stars might change to 5 WHO KNOWS

currently reading updates

IT'S HAPPENING.

tbr review

going to need my copy of this to hurry up and GET HERE thx

-----------

to give you an idea of how much i'm anticipating this:

i've only preordered 2 books in my life.

this is one of them.
Tucker
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tucker by: Macmillan Books

Many thanks to Macmillan Audio for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

I totally forgot to tell you guys that, in an interview at the end of my audio file, Leigh stated:
"I am, alas, not a shapeshifter but if you give me a large pizza I can shift into a slightly bigger version of myself."

if that's not the biggest mood ever...

-----------
”It is only through mystery and madness that the soul is revealed”

So, do you ever have those moments that just kind of shatter your identity and how you view yourself? Well, that’s me rightever...
stated:
Hamad
This ReviewBlog 📖 Twitter 🐦 Instagram 📷

“MORS VINCIT OMNIA”

★ This time I decided to bring you my review immediately without the usual RTC because with a rating like that, everyone is curious and many people already asked me to review this one and what my thoughts are on it.

★ I need to make some things clear before you come to put my head on a pike! Bardugo is one of my favorite authors, I read all her books, I do own all her books (Including the collector’s edition of SoC and CK) so if you think tha/>
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
Hah yeah I will never not read something Leigh Bardugo writes.
✨ A ✨
I am so excited for this book but people, know what you can handle. Remember that your mental health should be your priority.

TRIGGER WARNINGS: [Click the spoiler tag] (view spoiler)

Bardugo's own (slightly vague) warning.
/>TRIGGER
Emma
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
****OUT TODAY****

Hope you all love this as much as I did!

____

I can’t remember the last time I wanted to step into a book so much, be part of a world so desperately. Even with all the danger, with the pain and darkness and death, it’s a place that feels like possibility

…..

‘She always told me there’s no doorway the devil doesn’t know. He’s always waiting to stick his foot in. I never really believed her until tonight.’

Alex Stern is no hero. Life ha/>‘She/>I
Chloe
Sep 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, 2019-reads

"That was what magic did. It revealed the heart of who you'd been before life took away your belief in the possible. It gave back the world all lonely children longed for."

I was SO excited for Leigh Bardugo's first adult novel, and I did really enjoy it! It had so many elements that I loved (college setting, ghosts, complex characters etc.), however the pacing was not my favourite. It was very slow at times and it's pretty dense so it did take me quite a while to get through.

SUPER excit/>
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
Thank you Flatiron Books for gifting me a review copy in exchange for an honest review!

“We are the shepherds”

I’m trying to write a really calm and professional review here but after reading this book I don’t think there’s a possibility. Ninth House was everything. I read the synopsis of the book once when it came out and never again. I was sold from the first read, and I knew this was going to be a book I wanted to read. I had a feeling that I’d enjoy it. This book is Leigh Bardugo’s first adult b
Zainab
Mar 19, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-releases, dnf
You can also read this review here

OOF talk about disappointment.

I think The Twilight Series just met its competition.

I’ve been waiting for this book to come out ever since its release was announced so you can imagine just how annoyed I am. I tried SO hard to finish at least half of the book but I just could not.

I’m not gonna lie, I just cannot believe Leigh Bardugo wrote this. The same author who wrote Six Of Crows, wrote this? Nah.

All the 200 pages I
Elise (TheBookishActress)
I would die for you Leigh
Claudia ✨
"It was one thing to be told magic existed, quite another to have it literally give you the finger."

Leigh Bardugo was born to write adult books.

Ninth House is a book about strange, dark magic, power and what happens when it falls into the wrong hands,/>
Whitney Atkinson

So. Um. This was a letdown.

I want to preface this review by saying that it very well could have just been a me problem because I typically don't read thriller/mysteries. I thought because this book was written by Leigh Bardugo, I would automatically enjoy whatever she wrote. But in the case of Ninth House, I feel like she tried to do too much all at once, and so I came out of the book not quite comprehending what just occurred.

This book was initially easy to get into just
The Burning Rose (Jess)
Tbh I don’t like the cover 😕
But the story sounds great, can’t wait.
Tatiana
Jan 09, 2019 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who enjoy masturbatory pretentiousness of The Secret History and the likes of it
I wish early readers had put warnings for "extreme boredom" next to "sh*t eating" in their reviews. This novel is impossible to get through! It's mind-numbingly tedious and overwritten and boring.

I am down to zero Leigh Bardugo series I am interested in following. Because I am certainly not waiting for another Grishaverse book, and 5 Alex Stern installments (that's how many Bardugo would like to write) means she won't produce anything I'd be willing to try for another 10 years.

C'est la vie...<
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
Solid. Good but not great.

Most of time I was just confused.

This book is non linear in terms of explanation and story. Great pros and cons, but there were more misses than hits.

Also the amount of people accusing Leigh for these graphic scenes of violence all for shock factor.....this tells me 2 things.

1) They've never read an adult/thriller book with graphic elements before because.....LOL.

2) They're coming from the wave that is YA from Leigh's previous books and this w
Fables&Wren
Oct 25, 2016 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
*empties pockets and hands over my beating heart*
It's fine. I'm fine. Ignore me. I'm not fine. I'm having a heart attack but I'm fine. I'm just school girlin' over here.

I CANNOT BE MORE EXCITED ABOUT THIS.
QUEEN LEIGH BARDUGO, WRITES AGAIN.

• The Midnight Lie (The Midnight Lie, #1)
  • Untitled Standalone
  • The Kingdom of Back
  • The Other Side of the Sky (Untitled, #1)
  • The Half King (Untitled, #1)
  • The Magnolia Sword: A Ballad of Mulan
  • What Monstrous Gods
  • Sword Catcher (Sword Catcher, #1)
  • Eight Will Fall
  • A Court of Miracles (A Court of Miracles, #1)
  • Untitled
  • Guardians of Dawn (Guardians of Dawn, #1)
  • Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle, #1)
  • Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
Leigh Bardugo is a #1 New York Times bestselling author of fantasy novels and the creator of the Grishaverse. With over three million copies sold, her Grishaverse spans the Shadow and Bone Trilogy, the Six of Crows Duology, The Language of Thorns, and King of Scars—with more to come. (To hear about new releases, tour dates, and giveaways first, sign up for Leigh's newsletter here.) Her short stories can ...more

Alex Stern (2 books)
  • Untitled (Alex Stern, #2)
“Mors irrumat omnia. Death fucks us all.” 22 likes
“I let you die. To save myself, I let you die.
That is the danger in keeping company with survivors.”
12 likes