Start by marking “River Run (A Delia Chavez Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
River Run (A Delia Chavez Mystery #1)

River Run

(A Delia Chavez Mystery #1)

An explosive debut mystery for readers of Christine Carbo and Paul Doiron featuring a newly minted deputy thrust into the cutthroat world of hunting.

This waterfowl season, the hunters become the hunted.

Newly promoted sheriff’s deputy Delia Chavez has worked hard to get where she is. Without any family to speak of, law enforcement is all she has. But just a few days into
Published November 12th 2019 by Crooked Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about River Run, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about River Run

Start your review of River Run (A Delia Chavez Mystery #1)
Cam
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Thank you publisher and netgalley for this book to review.
I walked away from this book without any book guilt. This book started out really good and I was getting excited about finding another good book on netgalley to review. But that excitement started to fizzle after the 4th chapter. It was dragging out to much to get to the mystery crime that was described in the description. It just dragged and got bored and found myself skimming the book.
Samantha Gonsalves
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
River Run by J.S. James is a taut and action-packed thriller with a good number of twists. Despite the lukewarm reviews, I trudged on with this one and found that really liked it. The book has a good number of thrills and chills and I found certain parts of the book to be absolutely chilly. Det. Delia Chavez is one badass cop to watch out for! I found myself easily hooked to the book!

When bodies of hunters with their trigger fingers missing begin to surface on the Williamette, the newly promoted
Chris Conley
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really good book!! Delia is going to be a truly interesting new character. Loved this.
Laura (crofteereader)
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
This was a book that I finished not because I was enjoying it, not because I was curious, but because it wasn't bad enough to warrant giving up on. This has a police procedural TV show feel about it: every little plausible plot point was forced onto the small cast of characters until it completely stopped being plausible. We have an awkward forced romance, we have woman with a sordid past, we have the crooked cops, we have the accidental millionaire, we have trigger-happy vigilante, we have the ...more
Randal White
A murder mystery set in the Pacific Northwest. A newly assigned detective. A corrupt sheriff. Duck hunting. Should be a good story, right? Not so in this case.
Too many characters, none of who are really "fleshed out", so you feel like you know them. Too many unrealistic details. Sheriff's department employees who use their own personal cars for patrol? Using said vehicles to drive 110 mph, blowing through city intersections? "Thumbing off the safety...she steadied the chunky revolver"?
Julie Stowitschek
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Northwest flavor with the tang of wild game is on the menu for this book about a woman dealing with sexism in her workplace, a boss who wants to keep her at the back of the promotional line, and lands smack in the middle of a Macho-rural culture she knows little about since she's a Vegan and duck hunting isn't something she would choose as a personal hobby. Yet, the murders of several local men and her friend and coworker means she will have to involve herself with a group of people she'd rather ...more
Sharon Grow
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars - A sheriff desperate to be reelected, a department in disarray and Sheriff’s Deputy Delia Chavez trying to make a difference. Is it murder or suicide when an elderly couple are found dead on their porch? As department staffing is at an all-time low, Delia is hoping to be promoted to detective when the first body is found, a body missing the trigger finger. It is waterfowl season and soon more bodies are found the same way. Is someone killing them to protest hunting? Meanwhile, the ...more
Kathleen Gray
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it
An interesting start to a new series. Delia Chavez, a new detective, finds herself on the spot when she's assigned to the case of hunters being found dead with their trigger finger removed. Then the evil Sheriff Grice also assigns her to find a fugitive. Honestly, one or the other plot lines would have been enough. This packs a lot without giving much sense of Delia, who while she comes off as a tough officer, doesn't shine as much as she should. There's also a fair amount of unrealistic stuff. ...more
John Johnstone
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Great book for first novel although I was not a total fan of the style. The story line was excellent but was in my view overdone with local content related to river life, using many strange colloquialisms and slang to describe events and places. This aside plot is very good and executed with a good amount of thrilling action. You may have to be a hunter appreciate this fully as in this part of Oregon it appears to be all that matters to some. The author also clearly shows the flaws in the local ...more
Gail
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*5 Stars*

Copy kindly received via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was an interesting read with interesting characters. What Delia went through in her personal and work life must have been hard. It was good that she had good friends and work mates. I really liked the ending to the book.
T Olsen
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
I find the language rather tiring, stilted and jumping into scenes. The worst, however, is that the author is skipping the scenes that could have been suspenseful. I thought the point was to put in as much suspense as possible in a book. This is just a boring procedural with a little nonsense added.
Book
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
While River Run gets off to an interesting start with Deputy Sheriff Delia Chavez working to become Detective, the pace stalls with distracting subplots and a couple of unbelievable characters. In fact, the characters and situations offered so little appeal that the book was difficult to finish. The premise really hooks reader interest, but the execution does not deliver.
Leah Hines
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
I couldn't finish this one. Too many details were unbelievable. The characters didn't make me feel invested. It took way to long to get to the case that starts the big mystery. I thought from the first chapter that it was going to be a great read. Unfortunately, after that it seemed to go into left field.
Bruce Hansen
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book drew me in nearly instantly and held onto me for the whole ride. The tale is tightly constructed, but what really grabbed me were the characters. A smart, corrupt Latina cop? Watch to see this on Netflix soon. I can't wait for #2 in the series.
Jan
Nov 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
Walked away!! I should have read the reviews here first. I am sorry but male writers have a way of adding every bathroom break, picking scabs, details that just are not important to the plot and are gross.
Bonnye Reed
Jul 29, 2019 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Netgalley
pub date November 12, 2019
Crooked Lane Books
Zubeth
Oct 04, 2019 rated it liked it
This was an ok read for me. The pace of the mystery dragged for me and slowed down the story. I felt the characters could be fleshed out a bit more.
Laura Mcfarland
Amy Caffey
Nov 19, 2019
Sarah Baker
Nov 20, 2019

• Snow Creek (Detective Megan Carpenter, #1)
  • Black Rock Bay
  • All His Pretty Girls (Detective Alyssa Wyatt #1)
  • Close to You
  • The Quiet Girls: An absolutely addictive mystery thriller
  • Seven Crows
  • Hard Shot (Jon Reznick, #7)
  • The Verdict
  • Her Last Whisper (Detective Katie Scott #2)
  • Fan Mail: An Aspen Adams Novel of Suspense
  • A Spell of Murder (A Lost Maidens Loch Mystery #1)
  • The Guilty Mother
  • A Cold Trail (Tracy Crosswhite, #7)
  • Tracking Game (Timber Creek K-9 Mystery #5)
  • Down the Darkest Road (Cady Maddix Mystery, #2)
  • Takes One to Know One
  • The Truth About Cowboys
  • Der Tote im Strandkorb (Die Inselkommissarin 1)