Jump to ratings and reviews

Lost Girl: A Shelby Day Novel

AN APPALLING ACT OF VIOLENCE AND AN UNSOLVED DOUBLE MURDER.

SMALL-TOWN INVESTIGATIVE REPORTER, SHELBY DAY, IS DETERMINED TO HUNT A KILLER.

As her search draws closer to uncovering the twisted truth, she begins receiving ominous warnings to stay quiet and drop the story. The young journalist is in danger. Her cameraman and best friend, a person with his own secret past, says he wants to protect her. But Shelby is headstrong and dodging anything that could lead to love. She can't allow anyone to distract her as she fights for the two women who deserve justice.

She never expects along the way she'll have to stop and save herself.

Ticktock... If Shelby doesn't solve the crime soon, she'll become the killer's next victim.

"Lost Girl is a compulsive thrill-ride that reads as if it's been pulled straight from the headlines. Kammier's journalism background brings undeniable authenticity to a novel that has it all-- a love story, a murder mystery, and a real-life introduction into the distinctive world of television news."
-CAROLINE MITCHELL, New York Times best-selling author

This book is for anyone who loves:
Young Adult love stories
Murder Mystery
Redemption
Books with journalism elements
Intended for a mature YA audience

Fans of Veronica Mars, In The Woods, and One Of Us Is Lying, will love this novel.

First published December 7, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Holly Kammier

5 books94 followers
Holly Kammier is the international best-selling author of Kingston Court, Choosing Hope, and Lost Girl.

Lost Girl and Choosing Hope are cross-over novels to Kingston Court, with overlapping characters and locations.

Co-Founder of Acorn Publishing, the UCLA honors graduate is an accomplished writing coach and a former journalist who has worked everywhere from CNN in Washington, D.C. and KCOP-TV in Los Angeles, to the NBC affiliate in small-town Medford, Oregon.

The California native and mother of teenage boys, lives in San Diego, California close to her large family (she is one of eight siblings) and friends.

You can visit her online at
HKAMMIER.COM

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
23 (11%)
1 star
11 (5%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 117 reviews
Profile Image for alana ♡.
639 reviews1,234 followers
December 9, 2019
This was frustrating AF. The MC was so unlikeable and annoying that I honestly should have DNF'ed but I stuck it out to see who the killer would be and just as I suspected....it was extremely underwhelming.

The writing was choppy, the characters were awful, the romance was atrocious, it was honestly just a mess.

I'm going to label this as a "possible" RTC.

Blog | Twitter
Profile Image for Yna from Books and Boybands.
743 reviews345 followers
January 13, 2020
There’s something about small town murder mysteries that pull me in. As a reader, it is really hard for me to resist grabbing the opportunity to read books like this – mainly because of all the guessing and the excitement that it comes with.

Lost Girl talks about the story of investigative journalist Shelby Day, who left a comfortable rich girl life to prove herself and do what she loves to do. In this particular novel, she investigates a small town murder of two girls, who are actually very close to her age. The story has a darker atmosphere with lots of questions to answer along the way.

This book delivered a story with a morally grey lead character. I was confused whether to love her or to hate her, mainly because of the countless wrong decisions she made throughout her journey. Shelby can be really frustrating, and at times, the hating she felt towards other girls made me want to scream at her. Isn’t it about time we quit on the girl-on-girl hate trope in books?

Fortunately, the book did delivery a bunch of surprising twists and turns that suspense and mystery lovers will go crazy for. I didn’t want to give up on the book because the “whodunnit” question still needs some answering.
Though flawed, Lost Girl is a quick read that mystery lovers can devour in a few hours!
Profile Image for Linda Strong.
3,882 reviews1,627 followers
January 5, 2020
3.5 STARS

Shelby Day is an investigative TV reporter and when two young women are brutally killed one night in their home, she feels a connection to them and determines to hunt for the killer.

Jack, her cameraman and best friend, wants nothing but to protect her. But Shelby, the daughter of very wealthy parents, wants to go it alone. She needs to know she can be someone other than the pampered daughter most people see.

As she continues digging deep in her investigation, she begins getting threatening notes telling her to back off. But she's headstrong and determined that justice will be done for the two victims.

She doesn't realize ...yet ... that the closer to the truth she gets, the more personal danger she faces.

This young adult contemporary romance is well written and easy to read. I liked the character of Holly, even if she doesn't always make the best decisions. Jack comes across as a controlling kind of man ... even though his intentions are better than that. He also has an issue or two himself that he's hiding. I did not like Holly's mother at all. There is plenty of action and lots of suspects to follow.

Many thanks to the author / Netgalley for the digital copy of this YA murder mystery. Read and reviewed voluntarily, opinions expressed here are unbiased and entirely my own.
Profile Image for Jasmine.
436 reviews700 followers
January 11, 2020
***Actual Rating: 3/5 Journalistic Stars***

Prior to reading Lost Girl, I admit that I seldom read books in the Mystery, Thriller, or Suspense genres. Not that I don't like giving these a shot, it's just the sound of those stories rarely piques my curiosity enough to motivate me to pick them up. Thus, I'd be lying if I said I was not surprised when the synopsis of Lost Girl intrigued me in a way I've never felt before. I mean, I was fairly interested in the mysterious case in Shelby's small town according to the blurb, so when it's adorned with all these praises from well-known authors, why not give this book a try?

The first few chapters are pretty promising and easy to read, in my opinion, and it gets me all hyped up with those suspenseful elements, especially when Shelby's teaming up with her fellow journalists to solve the mystery. I do appreciate the professional journalism terms and confidence oozing from Shelby, which truly elevates the overall reading experience. However, the lack of chemistry between Shelby and her best friend/love interest as well as the all-so-serious narrative in the rest of the story are a real kill-joy.

Generally, I would like to see just a wee bit more connections among all the characters, and on a wishful thought, perhaps throwing some sense of humor into the whole picture would add some spice to everything. Although I'm a little bummed that this book doesn't turn out to be a game-changer or page-turner for me, and I also don't think I'll read anything in the genres of mystery/thriller/suspense anytime soon, I still hope you'll like this book more than I do if you'd gonna pick it up. :)

***Thanks to Xpresso Tours and the author for the blog tour/review opportunity.***
Profile Image for Ixxati.
282 reviews16 followers
January 3, 2020
Thank you Netgalley and author for giving me this ARC!

I enjoyed reading this book and wow I couldn't figure out who killed those girls. It was a good plot. I don't like the main character, Shelby but at the same time I like how she wanted to prove that she can be a good reporter and moved back to LA to get a better job. I can see myself in her sometimes especially when she don't want to get involved in a serious relationship.
Profile Image for Shalini.
2,477 reviews199 followers
December 8, 2019
A hard working journalist reported the murder of 2 girls in the neighborhood of a small town. Her investigation commenced when she felt a strange connection to them.

My first book my author Holly Kammier, and I was in awe of the main character. Shelby had a few mental health issues, and she was strong enough to rise about the issues and leave her rich family to find her passion. Her determination seeped into every word of the book. She was the driving force which kept me stuck to the story.

The writing was swift paced the chapters were short and snappy. Every chapter pushed me get into the next. I could feel a strange craving being built in me to get to the killer. The suspense created was awesome when Shelby's life was at stake. I could feel myself cheering her on.

This was one of my fantastic murder mystery which kept me hooked on a Sunday afternoon. I loved it
Profile Image for ♥ WishfulMiss ♥ .
1,069 reviews119 followers
January 9, 2020
I really wanted to like this one but Shelby was a selfish human being that I couldn't connect with - and I tried! I held out hope that she would grow from her mistakes, that she'd mature throughout the story but sadly nope. She kept putting her foot in it and instead of owning up to her crap decisions and hurtful actions, she turned around and played the blame game. I didn't like the way she treated other girls (especially since she seems super concerned with being slutshamed herself), I really didn't like her treatment of Jack (her supposed love interest/best friend) - with friends like Shelby (distructive, spiteful and immature) who needs enemies? Overall her actions when it came to pursuing the murder investigaton (and her journalism career) were just TSTL and frustrating.

The author mentioned she tried to write an accurate portrayal of a 20 something year old and I for one couldn't relate to this character at all. It was written in 1st person so it's just a lot of rambling, wishy-washy indecision on Shelby's part, where everyone is out to steal her story, distract her or sufficate her with their annoying love and affection! I can honestly say I'll never read this book or any featuring Shelby Day ever again. I need some redeeming qualities in a protaganist and Shelby had none. She wasn't loyal, trustworthy, or compassionate. Everything she did was for selfish reasons and when you start wishing for a tragic end for the Heroine, you know it's time to cut ties.

SAFETY INFO:
Profile Image for Lindsi (Do You Dog-ear?).
696 reviews173 followers
November 28, 2021
DNF at 12%

I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts and opinions are my own. Any quotes I use are from an unpublished copy and may not reflect the finished product.

Lost Girl: A Shelby Day Novel made me stabby. You know the people in horror movies that repeatedly make bad decisions? The people you just know are going to die? That's Shelby. She makes bad decision after bad decision, and her reasonings were ridiculous. If someone leaves a threatening note on your door after you "investigate" a murder, you flarking tell people about it!

"Jack didn’t need to know about the note. I wasn’t going to be scared into losing my lead story because of some creep, and I definitely didn’t need anyone’s protection. I could take care of myself just fine."

I'm also not sure why someone would leave her a vaguely threatening note for simply doing her job. Other news stations also reported on what happened, so Shelby being singled out didn't make sense. She wasn't a detective looking for clues, or a person that had access to the bodies. She was an investigative journalist that reported her findings based on interviews and some sleuthing. Why was she targetted??

"Fear was a waste of time."

No it's not! Fear is healthy. Fear is normal. Fear will likely keep you alive, because you're less inclined to do something stupid.

"...I typed in my phone and posted updates on Twitter and Instagram about our exclusive interview with Melissa Rossi’s ex-boyfriend."

I have no idea how investigative journaling works, but wouldn't you want to keep your "exclusive" interviews under wraps until they aired? Anything could happen... they could cancel the segment, or decide to go in a different direction, etc. Again, I have no idea how this works, but it seems like blasting it on social media immediately after the interview is unprofessional and has the potential to hurt the story itself.

Shelby is also a woman-hating, self-destructive psycho. She's always working, so she can "be the best" and get out of the town she's in. She wants to go home, make her dad proud, yada yada. I didn't read enough to understand what her reasons were. However, I was there for her belittling, hurtful comments, and her need to be seen by everyone. She wants to work hard so she can be on top, but gets frustrated when someone else does the same.

Example 1: "It was cheating. But Lily didn’t care about that, she was determined to make it to a big market faster than any of us. Her fake Colgate smile and relentless drive exacerbated my competitive side and worked my last nerve."

Example 2: "I envied Kaya’s carefree spirit. She wasn’t like the rest of us. She’d grown up in this charming small town with her loving, all-American, intact family. Her brother and sister had probably come with her parents to cheer her on when she played high school softball. I could imagine Kaya taking annual summer camping trips with her family and gathering in the living room each Christmas to eat popcorn and watch their favorite old movies. Her life seemed so intoxicatingly normal."

I just love how she tried to excuse her behavior.

"Covering those gruesome murders followed by a threatening note on my door and then a suspicious call to my work, had left me feeling cornered and vulnerable, and the alcohol wasn’t helping. The toxic combination made me mean."

She likes Jack, Jack likes her, but she refuses to acknowledge their shared feelings. She thinks emotions and a relationship will get in the way of her success, so she keeps him at a distance. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean she's mature about it. She gets jealous when other girls talk to him, and then tries to make herself feel better by making him jealous?? What is happening?? Is this high school?

More of Shelby being a dumbass: "In other breaking news, Melissa Rossi’s supposed best friend had called the station this afternoon. Despite any concerns regarding my personal safety, I was going to get another exclusive, my third in a row, a major coup in the news business."

Why is Shelby getting these interviews? What has she done to earn people's respect? Make out with a producer at a bar? Badger a police officer into commenting on camera? Stalk the ex-boyfriend of a victim for an interview? Secretly hate and publicly belittle her coworkers?

"Having said my own sloppy goodbyes and cursing out Jack under my breath for taking off with Kaya, I stumbled across Main Street feeling completely paranoid."

"He was the toughest guy I knew. The kind of man who made you feel safe at night. 'You’re worth the wait.' I held his gaze with a loopy grin as I sipped my wine. With Jack off doing who knew what with Kaya, I had no intention of going home alone."

Jack offered to walk Kaya home since it was late, dark, and two girls had recently been murdered. Also, I thought she wasn't afraid? What happened to "fear is a waste of time"? She talks big about being able to take care of herself, and then she's meeting a guy so she can feel safe (with the added bonus of potential revenge-sex). Revenge for what? Her friend Jack walking a coworker home?

I'm getting worked up just writing this review! Shelby is a horrible person and an unrelatable character. Her actions are ridiculous and vindictive, and she keeps really important and relevant information to herself. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Jack was the murderer. Everything else has been bananas so far, so that's my guess. Sorry it that spoils something for you, but I honestly have no idea who the killer is.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Bloglovin' | Amazon | Pinterest
Profile Image for Pipsprite.
100 reviews29 followers
January 17, 2020
What happens when the story you are writing for work becomes your life?

Lost Girl by Holly Kammier is an amazing mystery that had me on the edge of my seat at every moment. Shelby the reporter and Jack the cameraman are super spunky and find stories at the first moment. Being a reporter was always Shelby's dream and she finally thinks this story is what's going to push her career over the edge. Jack will never admit his feelings or the fact that he wants to protect Shelby at every moment. Shelby finally gets a story that will push her to a new place but when notes start popping up that are meant to scare Shelby away will she stop or continue on.

Shelby is a great character that truly made me think I could do anything I put my mind to. The work ethic even when she is put in dangers is amazing! Never have I seen a character so determined to make a story work the Shelby does. Working with such a fun co worker like Jack added a great new aspect to the story and the reader just knows he's going to be important. Though Shelby is very self destructive she tries to change through this entire novel even if she doesn't think she can. I think that takes a lot and this novel really shows how a character is allowed to change in such a short time even if they think they can't.
Profile Image for Janell Madison.
291 reviews8 followers
January 30, 2020
“Lost Girl~A Shelby Day Novel” by Holly Kammier

“Holly Kammier is an Author that does not disappoint! I’m excited to take a peek at her other books! When you start “Lost Girl,” you’ll be hooked!-Green Gables Book Reviews

If you like excitement, the prologue will take you there in “Lost Girl,” by Holly Kammier. When a book starts with the main character tied to a chair with blood dripping from her temple, you know the pages you read in the next several hours will be great!

Shelby is a news reporter, trying to prove herself to the world. More importantly, trying to prove herself to her parents. She’s put herself in awkward situations more than once, for the sake of the story.

This latest breaking news story might be exactly what her career needs and Jack, her cameraman always makes sure she is looking her best. The story tonight is gruesome. How did this happen in their small Oregon town? And, two murders on Halloween night in their small town is even more strange. Who would have done this to these young women and why?

As an Investigative Reporter Shelby is determined to find out what happened to these young women, even if it means putting herself in danger.

When Shelby starts to realize things are taking a turn, she makes a few decisions about the investigation without letting the news station know the whole story.

Has Shelby just made a decision that will end her life?

Well done, an easy to read format, great story!

Series: A Shelby Day Series (Book 1)
Paperback: 291 pages
Publisher: Acorn Publishing (December 18, 2019)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1947392573
ISBN-13: 978-1947392571
Profile Image for Alyssa.
78 reviews20 followers
January 10, 2020
Shelby Day is an investigative reporter in a small town. On Halloween night, two young women are killed in their home. She gets the lead on the story and is determined to find the killer to help these women and their families get the justice that they deserve.

Shelby was the worst. I'm sorry, but she was. You know when you're watching one of those cheesy horror movies about a cabin in the woods and the character constantly does the opposite of what common sense dictates? Oh, there's a noise in the basement when a crazed murderer has already tried to kill you twice? Let's go check that out! That was Shelby.

When the killer started leaving threatening notes on her door, she decided to not tell anyone and continue with the investigation because allowing fear to distract her would apparently make her weak. Listen. I get it. She felt some connection to these women and wanted to get justice for them but when a person who just killed two women slasher style starts threatening your life, at least tell the police.

The romance though. No. Nope. One big huge nope. There should not have been a romance in this book. There was absolutely no connection between Jack and Shelby. I didn't even realize that there were any feelings between them until it started being forced and awkward. Jack was possessive. So possessive and gross to the point that he became a suspect in my eyes. And Shelby. Well. I said what I said about her. Imagine how that lack of common sense adds to a romance.

The ending was choppy. I felt like the book dragged on and then suddenly it was over. It was disappointing because I wanted way more action after all the threats and the buildup to the reveal of the killer. Even after the fight when their lives returned back to normal when the killer was caught. It just didn't fit.
Profile Image for Aisha.
328 reviews12 followers
January 12, 2020
*Big thanks to Netgalley for giving me this ARC in exchange of an honest review*

This book is a YA thriller that keeps you intrigued with each page you read. Also, you can guess who's the assassin. It has a great plot and the chronology of events is well developed.

That said, I found Shelby, the main character, a bit obtuse and inconsistent with her ideas and beliefs. Of course, her priorities towards a successful career as a high level journalist are strong and defines her personality, but on an emotional level... I think she has a lack of emotions, in fact.

All the rest of the characters are great and give a good shot to the story.

A good reading, even for a YA.
January 15, 2020
What's great about this book is the main character is like the rest of us-flawed. She's not your thriller, crime seeking, heroine. She makes mistakes, is easy to yell at, and be frustrated with. BUT, she reminds me of other 20 year olds' finding their way.
This is a great crime thriller that keeps you wondering "who done it" while still being a light, easy read with young romance.
Profile Image for Heidi | Paper Safari Book Blog.
963 reviews10 followers
January 6, 2020
Shelby Day is a rich girl who has decided to go against her family, move away, not take money from them and try to fulfill her dream of being an investigative reporter in a small town in Oregon. After two young women are brutally murdered Shelby delves into the case trying to figure out who did it and get the scoop. Hoping that this case will shoot her to the big leagues Shelby is relentless in her pursuit of the killer despite getting notes telling her to back off.

Fast paced this book keeps you guessing as to who may have been the killer. Holly Kammier did a good job of throwing us off the scent and created a fun fast paced thrill ride of a book.
Profile Image for Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon.
2,087 reviews149 followers
December 18, 2019
5 Cranky Stars

A fabulous read and very well written.

Shelby was a spoilt little rich girl or so her mother said. She came from a dysfunctional family, but Shelby wanted to make it on her own. She moved away and got a job with a NBC 4 news and eventually got the promotion she wanted and her first case as an investigative reporter. Jack was her camera man.

She wanted to do the best she could so took many chances trying to solve her first case. More than once putting herself in danger.

Jack went everywhere with her but she had a unique quality of messing things up in her personal life.

To me this is one of the best books in this genre I have read in a long time. It keeps you guessing until the end for the 'who done it'.
Profile Image for Booknook8756.
241 reviews2 followers
December 16, 2019
When two women are murdered in their sleep, Shelby Day, an ambitious investigative journalist, is determined to break the case. It’s not long after she starts covering the murders, that she starts to receive threatening notes at her house, warning her to back off. While taking all the risk, she’s also dealing with her feelings about her cameraman and best friend, Jack. Will Shelby be able to help the police catch the killer, or is she going to become their next victim?

I’m giving this a three star rating because to me, this was an okay book. It wasn’t a gripping thriller, but it wasn’t hard to read and kept things interesting. I did get annoyed with the main character and some of her choices. I think this is a good book for a younger audience. I think I would have enjoyed this more when I was first starting out with thrillers, but compared to the level I’m at now, this was just okay.
January 13, 2020
Disclaimer: I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you to Xpresso Book Tours and Acorn Publishing for this free copy. All quotes in this review are taken from the Advanced Reader Copy and may change in final publication.

Okay seriously what is it about me requesting books dealing with girls being killed or kidnapped or harmed in any way!? Clearly I need to see some girls be their own heroes in some way, and I guess it’s because I have been able to handle some of these books despite being sensitive to the material it covers.

This one starts off easily enough, only nope. Our main character Shelby Day is covering the double homicide of two early twenty-year-old women that were stabbed to death in their own home on Halloween. Like, can it get any worse than that? They weren’t even doing anything wrong – not that it would matter whether they were doing anything wrong or not – and come to find out that this is the story that will rock this small town that she reports the news in because nothing ever really happens there. Not to mention it feels like part of the reason why this should be “good news” for her career is so that she could get some recognition from the “bigger networks” and hopefully become a more famous news reporter in some bigger city like Los Angeles.

This isn’t to say that Shelby Day didn’t have a heart. Because she did, and she’s one of the few journalists according to her that has to practice staying objective about the stories that she reports on because it would cause her emotional burn out. Same thing with her camera guy Jack or something like that. But I’m sure that there are a lot more journalists that have to practice compartmentalizing what they report versus what they feel about what they are reporting on because they have to stay “professional” or whatever. I don’t know. Journalists, let me know.

So anyway, she’s trying to cover this double homicide story but then SHE gets a note from the killer supposedly like “you may be next fool” and like, she’s scared now because hello? She was like a year younger than the women who were killed, she’s just like them being separated from family or lifelong friends and could easily be targeted. But she has to bring the killer to justice right? But then how does she protect herself when she does end up being kidnapped?

Or is it even by the same person?!

I need to breathe. This is insane. This was pretty good. I won’t lie, I am curious to know what other mysteries or stories that Shelby Day had to cover in her life, and whether this is going to stop her from being a hard core journalist that deals with crime and all the horrible stuff in the world rather than fluff pieces. I mean, I know what that answer may be, but you have to read it to find out. You know.
Profile Image for D. James.
Author 1 book15 followers
January 31, 2020
Action/Adventure, thriller, mystery and romance into one. Lost Girl is an epic tale centered around the smart, tough but sensitive investigative reporter Shelby Day.
Holly Kammier sets a fast pace and keeps you in the edge of your seat chapter after chapter.
Can't wait for Shelby's next adventure.
Profile Image for Meghan Wilson.
11 reviews2 followers
January 31, 2020
Engaging from the first page. I love that the character's backstories emerge throughout the story. I read in a few hours in one sitting. I can't wait to see what lies ahead for Shelby Day.
Profile Image for Gary Seigel.
Author 4 books17 followers
January 13, 2020
I hardly ever read mysteries , but this was a wonderful escape novel, something to look forward to every night before I went to sleep. How was Shelby going to solve the murder of these two girls? A couple of things that were particularly fun and interesting --1. She's a TV reporter, so this whole world of small-town investigation was fascinating. 2. The protagonist is not entirely flawless. I recently read The Maltese Falcon, and that detective is hardly pure. He's the biggest womanizer around, even seducing the wife of his business partner. So why not invent a female detective/investigator with her own sexual issues? I loved that idea, and I look forward to seeing Shelby navigate other terrain and embark on more adventures.
Profile Image for Giulia Colma.
65 reviews18 followers
November 18, 2019
Lost Girl, A Shelby Day Novel is a book about following your passions, kicking ass and letting yourself feel things deeply.

This book was different from all others I’ve read before because it featured a young reporter going after her dreams, despite being mentally ill. It’s so important to see positive representation of mentally ill women.

Shelby Day is a Jewish twentysomething suffering from PTSD who comes from a rich family but wants to make it on her own. That's why, she leaves LA and her family home to pursue her passion as reporter. In a small town where nothing important really happens, a murder of two teenage girls in their home shock the community and changes Shelby’s life. Aside from being the most important story of her career, Shelby feels a strong connection with the murdered girls and can’t let go of the story, even when she starts receiving death threats. But she must unravel the mystery fast or she’ll be the killer’s next victim.

I really loved the character of Shelby, her being headstrong and passionate but also incapable of sharing her true feelings. I have to say I found a lot of myself in her and it honestly feels so good when a few pages in, you can already see that you’re going to get attached to a character.

My favorite part of the book was a dialogue that Shelby was having with Jack about her mental illness. It felt so raw and real and it’s so important to normalize this and try to eliminate the stigma.

“Did something I say trigger you?”
“No, sometimes they just happen.”
“How often?”
[…] “Often enough. Meds help, but it’s always there. My whole family is the same way. I swear it’s like Jew disease. PTSD is in our DNA. We’re all carrying on the suffering of our ancestors.”
“Why’d you pick such a stressful job if you’re anxious all the time?”
“I’m a mess no matter what. Might as well do what I want.”

I’ll never stop screaming about how perfect this whole scene is. Thank you, Holly Kammier.

The story is quick paced and unpredictable, and I really enjoyed following Shelby in her adventures and seeing her finally open up to the possibility of love.

I wish we could have known more about her past, especially about her relationship with her mother but I get that the book was relatively short and focused on her resolving the murders, rather than her past. Shelby wanted to let go of her past and be brand new, so it kinda makes sense that we only know who she is now.

To sum up, I really loved both the plot and the characters, and the writing style was fluid and it kept me hooked. I would recommend it to anyone who loves a good mystery story and badass female characters.
Profile Image for stefiereads.
306 reviews118 followers
December 29, 2019
I read this book pretty quick, and all in all enjoyed it.
This is a story about Shelby, a girl that is working as an investigative crime journalist and very determined to solve the case of two girls who was murdered. So, while the she is trying to break the case, the killer is getting closer to her than ever. And the story goes from there....

The main character, I kind of not liking her. She is very ambitious but sometimes selfish and just didn't realize that. She is also made some bad decisions that just hurt the people that care for her. I mean I appreciate her being so passionate about her job though. But watching her do her things made me scratched my head a lot :p The story itself is not bad. It is a page turner, fast pace, and enjoyable. I did not guess who the killer was so that was a surprise twist for me. I like the book, I just not really a fond of the MC. All in all, it's a good read :)

*Thank you Holly for the review copy.

Profile Image for Nicole (FearYourEx).
371 reviews62 followers
December 29, 2019
3/5 stars
Thank you to the author for the review copy!

This story is fairly fast paced and a quick easy read. As far as thrillers go it was pretty standard, nothing too special, nothing bad. The author definitely throws you several possible suspects to keep you guessing. There's a good amount of suspense. It's a pretty short book and the chapters are nice and short.

Unfortunately I guessed the killer pretty early on, I've read so many thrillers and watched so many crime genres that I'm rarely surprised by them anymore. I didn't really connect with the main character at all and honestly I wasn't much of a fan of her.
Profile Image for Bookishly Tiff.
34 reviews6 followers
November 7, 2019
Ok, I loved this book!! It was a step out of the YA that I've been reading and right into a thriller!! Now my expectations for thrillers are high, I tend not to pick them up because they're predictable. Nothing more boring than knowing who did what at the half way point and having to read the characters struggle for the rest of the book. There was zero issue with that in Lost Girl! In fact I wasn't able to guess who did it at all! I was so far off and it was wonderful!

I wasn't a huge fan of the little bit of romance that happened in the book though. I loved both of the characters but couldn't get behind the reason Shelby kept pushing for why she couldn't. It felt artificial to me. However, this had zero impact on how much I loved the book and things turned out for the better anyway ;)

If you want a quick thriller that has a quick paced plot and defined characters I recommend that you pick this one up!
Profile Image for Dawn.
117 reviews12 followers
January 3, 2020
I was excited because the main character was a Jewish woman open about her mental illness. I loved what i thought would be the positive representation of this, and it was much needed. But that was about all I liked. I really couldn't get into the book. The character her and decisions and it being passed off as mental illness on why she was a horrible person just didn't sit well with me.

The chapters were short which kept the book moving but I never connected with the book at all. Unfortunately this is one that I can't recommend.
Profile Image for Jessica Therrien.
Author 12 books496 followers
August 15, 2019
This book was such a fun, page-turning read. The main character is real and gritty (not the typical plain Jane you read about in most YA novels), the love story is romantic but not over-the-top, and the mystery keeps you guessing. To top it off, the writing is beautiful. Doesn't get much better :)
Profile Image for Mikel J. Wilson.
Author 6 books127 followers
October 29, 2019
Meet Shelby Day, the Nancy Drew of television news. From the small town setting of Ashland, Oregon, to the shady characters and a cigarette smoking protagonist, I could not put Lost Girl down. I read the entire story in one sitting and am still thinking about it.
52 reviews1 follower
October 19, 2019
I received an arc and l got to say get the book it's got danger mystery and witty it's also like Nancy Drew meets Veronica Mars in a way to best describe the book
Profile Image for Sherrill Joseph.
Author 6 books54 followers
October 23, 2019
This was such a fun, suspenseful, fact-paced read. It reminded me of Veronica Mars. I would recommend Lost Girl, A Shelby Day Novel to anyone who loves a great murder mystery.
Profile Image for R.D. Kardon.
Author 3 books67 followers
December 31, 2019
Lots of action. This fast-paced page-turner will leave your breathless.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 117 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.