Start by marking “Creative Calling: Establish a Daily Practice, Infuse Your World with Meaning, and Succeed in Work + Life” as Want to Read:

Life isn’t about “finding” fulfillment and success – it’s about creating it. Why then has creativity been given a back seat in our culture? No longer.

Creativity is a force inside every person that, when unleashed, transforms our lives and delivers vitality to everything we do. Establishing a creative practice is therefore our most valuable and urgent task - as important

Published September 24th 2019 by Harper Business

To ask other readers questions about Creative Calling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creative Calling

Start your review of Creative Calling: Establish a Daily Practice, Infuse Your World with Meaning, and Succeed in Work + Life
Izzy
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a beautifully written invitation to your personal creativity. If you've been struggling to make sense of where and how your creativity fit in this world, this book might be for you. If you know that creativity is important but struggle to see yourself as a creative person, this book is for you. :)

What I was hoping for that it DIDN'T have was real, tangible juice to help bring my creative calling into actionable, daily practice other than, "Just do something, anything!" Which, I guess in
Elizabeth
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites
“A good life is designed. Created. And this book is about living a better life through creativity.”
– Chase Jarvis

Even since I went back to work after being a stay at home mom and I started struggling with making time for my creative interests, I have been searching for a book that both inspires me to pursue my creativity AND has practical and realistic advice for how to do it. THIS is that book.

Creative Calling not only inspires the reader to pursue their life’s calling, it actually provides
Teri Temme
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic inspiration! I am so thankful for Chase and everything he does for education and creativity.
Julia
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Pretty cliché self-help. If you're already well-versed in personal productivity, motivation, and a get shit done mindset, this probably won't be particularly helpful. But for the rest, by all means, indulge yourselves.
A.M.
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook, i-own
Chase is one of those people who just infect you with their positivity; they can do anything… and so can you! But seriously, this is the guy who missed out on the Instagram thing… read it, he’ll tell you and dear god, that was one buy out you did not want to miss out on. [One billion dollars… can you imagine?]
But what he did was make Creative Live and I love that site. There are a lot of video course sites out there, but it is the best. And true to his beliefs, if you have internet but no money,
Marcel Comeau
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Chase Jarvis’s Creating Calling is a must-read for any creative individual that’s looking for an in-depth look into what it takes to establish a better connection with your creative self and establish realistic practices to get the best results out of your creative efforts. Chase shares a lot of his experiences of how he approached in developing his craft as a professional photographer. He breaks down how he went about creating a photo editing and sharing application for smartphones when the ...more
Jill
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I want to gift this book to every Creative I know... to the writers, designers, illustrators, painters, developers, decorators, makers, bakers, photographers, marketers, product launchers and more.

If you loved Pressfield's "The War of Art," then this is your new manifesto for the new decade. It's part self-help, part how-to and part kick-in-the-ass.

"As your creative practices deepens and expands, you will experience a greater sense of direction over your own life. You will prove to
David Rudin
Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Photographer Jarvis plumbs the depths of how to infuse creativity into your life and use it to create the life you want to live.
His basic blueprint: I.D.E.A., stands for Imagine, Design, Execute and Amplify. The foundation of this program is to create a daily practice of creativity and allow that to grow and expand all the while fighting off the various distractions, naysayers and self doubt that can crop up.
I found the book inspiring as it motivated me to work on increasing my own creative
Ryan Kirk
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a book I was pleasantly surprised by. I've read a number of books on business and creativity over the years, so it's pretty hard to impress me. I'm not sure if this book just caught me at the right time, but I really enjoyed it.

For me, the most useful part of the book was the section about designing a life around creativity. While it is in many ways similar to most productivity advice, the focus on creativity really drove home a few solid points for me.

Definitely recommended for
Robert Airhart II
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just go ahead and create your life.

Full of useful ideas and actions to take to nurture and grow your creativity. This book is useful to those who want to be better amateur artists, professional artists, entrepreneurs. Jarvis points the way to finding the creator in each of us and living out of it at whatever level fits your unique circumstances. Fundamentally it is a call to create your life precisely within the circumstances you have been dealt.
Vipin Baloni
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this book amazing and thought provoking book by none other than Chase Jarvis. I can't share my gratitude enough towards Chase for writing this book. This is simply the best book that I have read in recent times regarding creativity. I can safely say that this book has definitely ignited a new kind of spark inside me and I hope I can also use my creativity to its optimum.

Thanks Chase Jarvis for writing this masterpiece.
Cheers
Vipin Baloni
Kirk Hanley
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very low-stress, inspiring look at how to be a more creative person and share that result with the world. Chase Jarvis encourages the reader to make mistakes, try things, and find one's voice, without putting your ego on the line. I would have liked a few more examples and concrete steps, but I found myself wanting to pick up some old projects as soon as I put the book down.
Laurie
Oct 22, 2019 rated it liked it
There is nothing wrong with this book and it's well-organized. I have just found some other books on creativity more interesting. The author is very positive about how everyone has creativity in all professions and interests. That message added a full star for me!
Patty Hagar
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Inspiring and interesting; a good selection for anyone thinking about work vs. passion and how to have the courage to integrate the two successfully. More importantly, a good perspective on defining "successfully" as part of the creative process.
James Winestock
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A practical guide to creating. Whatever your project, from entrepreneur to visual artist, this book will help build a creative practice around it. I highly recommend it to anyone, even if you think you aren't creative (you would be wrong, you are creative!).
Lisa Archer
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great starting point

This should totally be required reading for everyone! Reading this makes me realize how much creativity can be found in the everyday stuff like cooking a meal and cleaning up a room. Absolutely wonderful,
Marissa
Oct 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
Really did not enjoy this, had to stop reading. Full of a lot of fluff about “follow your dream!”, “you’re so creative omg keep it up” and well, I just found it repetitive and too “motivational” without any substance.
Brian Berry
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book came into my life at at time when, as someone who has never considered myself to be "creative", I've been rethinking that state of mind. I am not a traditional "artist", but I am, in fact, quite creative. The book only reinforced that belief.
Cody Caillet
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the book. I think it would be a perfect read for a younger person getting started on his/her creative journey. In fact,I'm going to highly recommend it to my 14 year old aspiring musician.

Aniaszafa
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am between 4 and 5 stars and giving 5. Maybe the book influenced me somehow :)
Lisa
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
A book you pick up every year to keep you on course!
Sarah Lancaster
Oct 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Good book by a great creative! I left inspired to dabble more into my side projects. Not necessarily for money but because I enjoy creating.
Elora Ramirez
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads, favorites
Absolutely a necessary read for anyone — not just those who consider themselves creative.
Jessica Noel
Loved it! Reminiscent of:"The War of Art"
beingCristina
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
An interesting and compelling book not just centered on creativity, but in pursuing purpose and meaning as well. Inspire yourself, read this one from top creator and motivator himself, Chase Jarvis.
Jeffrey Fisher
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Probably more valuable for the newbie, but even as an old hand, discovered plenty of reminders to stay the course.
Kimberly Desouza
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. if you are good at reading between the lines, you can find value for many aspects of life not just what I would consider traditional art.
Stephen
Oct 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
I love the message. Enjoy Jarvis. But the content here was more worthy of a TED Talk or self help seminar than an entire book. Anecdotal, non-science, affirmations.
Emma
Nov 05, 2019
Brendan
Dec 07, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Stillness Is the Key
  • Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life
  • The Infinite Game
  • Everything is Figureoutable: How One Simple Belief Can Help Us Overcome Any Obstacle and Create Unstoppable Success
  • Reboot: Leadership and the Art of Growing Up
  • Super Attractor: Methods for Manifesting a Life beyond Your Wildest Dreams
  • What You Do Is Who You Are: How to Create Your Business Culture
  • IT'S ALL IN YOUR HEAD
  • Lifespan: Why We Age—and Why We Don't Have To
  • Rare Breed: A Guide to Success for the Defiant, Dangerous, and Different
  • Keep Going: 10 Ways to Stay Creative in Good Times and Bad
  • Stop Doing That Sh*t: End Self-Sabotage and Demand Your Life Back
  • Loonshots: How to Nurture the Crazy Ideas That Win Wars, Cure Diseases, and Transform Industries
  • Super Thinking: The Big Book of Mental Models
  • Range: Why Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World
  • Awareness: A de Mello Spirituality Conference in His Own Words
  • Conscious
“Put bluntly, too many of us spend years, even decades, in pursuit of someone else’s plan for our one precious life.” 0 likes
“It’s never very clear what you’re supposed to do instead—only that pursuing creativity is lofty, selfish, or even naive.” 0 likes