Start by marking “Reading Buechner: Exploring the Work of a Master Memoirist, Novelist, Theologian, and Preacher” as Want to Read:

Frederick Buechner is one of the most gifted writers of his generation, and his legacy casts a long shadow over Christian letters today. As a memoirist, he opened up an entirely new way to think about the genre. As a novelist, he was a finalist for the Pulitzer. And as a theologian and preacher, he pioneered the art of making theology accessible for a popular audience.

Yet
Published November 19th 2019 by IVP Books

To ask other readers questions about Reading Buechner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reading Buechner

Start your review of Reading Buechner: Exploring the Work of a Master Memoirist, Novelist, Theologian, and Preacher
Marti Wade
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is what it says it is -- a book about reading the works of Fredrick Buechner. It has a good index and annotated bibliography, but it's a book you can really read as a book, not just use as a reference. The author reviews Buechner's life experiences and influences (drawing primarily but not exclusively on the memoirs and personal comments in his theological works and sermons), traces themes that weave throughout them (grace, beauty, suicide, doubt), and helps the reader appreciate what ...more
Michael Philliber
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Storytelling is a gift. I'm not sure I have it, but I'm always intrigued when I stumble across an author or speaker who can capture my attention. I have heard for many years that Frederick Buechner is one of those master raconteurs. So I was interested when Jeffrey Munroe, executive vice president at Western Theological Seminary and a charter member of the advisory board of the Buechner Institute of Faith and Culture, put forth this new 232-page paperback "Reading Buechner: Exploring the Master ...more
Seth
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Buechner is one of the better memoirist/novelist/theologian/preachers of our time. It’s rare to find someone who fires through on four pistons but that’s Buechner for you!

If you’re like me, you might’ve read his stuff in one or two categories. This book reads like a biography of sorts and covers some of the “essentials” the author has identified and the themes that come out of them.
Chris
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great overview of Buechner's work. Helpful for those who know next to nothing about Buechner, but also instructive for Buechner fans.
Mary Suggs
Brien Meyer
Drew Thurman
Megan K. Brown
Dec 03, 2019

• I Shall Not Hate: A Gaza Doctor's Journey on the Road to Peace and Human Dignity
  • New Hope for the Dead (Hoke Mosely #2)
  • Kiss Your Ass Good-Bye
  • Tenth of December
  • How to Survive the Apocalypse: Zombies, Cylons, Faith, and Politics at the End of the World
  • That All Shall Be Saved: Heaven, Hell, and Universal Salvation
  • The Innocents
  • Lila
  • Joe Alves: Designing Jaws
  • I Was Their American Dream: A Graphic Memoir
  • The God I Never Knew: How Real Friendship with the Holy Spirit Can Change Your Life
  • The Color of Compromise: The Truth about the American Church’s Complicity in Racism
  • The Cloud of Unknowing and The Book of Privy Counseling
Jeffrey Munroe is executive vice president at Western Theological Seminary, where he also teaches writing. He was a charter member of the advisory board of the Buechner Institute of Faith and Culture, and is an ordained minister in the Reformed Church in America.