Start by marking “100 Best-Loved Poems” as Want to Read:
100 Best-Loved Poems

100 Best-Loved Poems

3.86  ·  Rating Details ·  1,255 Ratings  ·  86 Reviews
Popular, well-known poetry: "The Passionate Shepherd to His Love," "Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?" "Death, be not proud," "The Raven," "The Road Not Taken," plus works by Blake, Wordsworth, Byron, Coleridge, Shelley, Emerson, Browning, Keats, Kipling, Sandburg, Pound, Auden, Thomas, and many others. Includes 13 selections from the Common Core State Standards Init ...more
Paperback, (Dover Thrift Editions), 101 pages
Published October 4th 1995 by Dover Publications

To ask other readers questions about 100 Best-Loved Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 100 Best-Loved Poems

Leslie
Nov 30, 2010 Leslie rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Whoa, Nelly what a surprise. This book was supposed to be just a little something to bump up my Amazon to $25 to get free shipping right? I keep a wish list full of Dover Thrift around for just that purpose and selected this one cos during the busy holidays it's nice to have books lying around to just read over any 5 minutes that may be free. For less then $2 I figured this would do because of only one poem I noticed that it contained: Do Not Go Gently Into That Good Night by Dylan Thomas. My pe ...more
Taymara Jagmohan
May 30, 2013 Taymara Jagmohan rated it it was amazing
What will you do when your heart becomes too open, but you grow to realize there is never a caution as "too much"?

This book, coined with the veils of grace from the hearts of our well-known poets, helps you to enjoy being you.

It allows you to think in the imagination of love, and helps to foster growth and emotions.

It is supreme.

I fell in love with this line from Sonnet XCIV:

- for sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds. Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds.

Beautiful piece by the lo
Joseph
Apr 05, 2015 Joseph rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
A good selection of poems covering 600 years. Of course, not everyone's best-loved poem or poet will be included, but it covers many styles of poetry. The poets in this collection are all English speaking which leaves many out many great poets and their work. Dover collections tend to be introductions to the subject or author they cover. Readers who regularly read poetry or already have their favorites will find this collection very incomplete. However, for those interested in poetry this is a g ...more
Bob
Apr 27, 2016 Bob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Success, perhaps I’m not such a Neanderthal after all. Once I got to the mid-19th Century I started reading a few poems I liked. I also read some poems that sparked a deeper like and interest, I’ll call them really good. I even read poems that I want to think more about and reread, I’ll call them great. I never would have thought it possible but I have found I’m the kind of person that actually likes poetry, at least some poetry.
sanny
May 23, 2015 sanny rated it really liked it
Shelves: fun, shorts, stash, prose
For so little a price, it gives so many prized distillations from brilliant minds.

From the superb Ozymandias (Shelley), the sharp I'm Nobody! Who Are You? (Dickinson), to the charmingly fitting Requiem (Stevenson) or If- (Kipling), and concluded emphatically by Thomas' Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, this neat collection has inspired me to revisit and explore other poems, and to just soak in the wit, wisdom and beauty emanating from its unassuming pages.

Pickings:

Sonnet XVIII William Shak
Linda Lipko
May 06, 2010 Linda Lipko rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own
I spent a restful rainy Sunday evening savoring the wonderful words, phrases and lyrical joy of reading this marvelous compilation of poetry.

Beginning with The Ballad of Lord Randal through Dylan Thomas’ Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, I was transformed to a world where writing was concise, crisp, clear and every word was laden with meaning.

As the rain splashed on the sky light in the living room and the thunder clapped, I sat in an overstuffed chair, cup of tea in hand and delighted in t
Michael
Feb 21, 2009 Michael rated it really liked it
This is a good selection of poems. It tends to have the classics that people should be familiar with and does have some that my Anthology of American Poetry doesn't have, because it includes British poets. It's worth owning. Then you can read "Do Not Go Gently Into That Good Night" by Dylan Thomas to your boy, Dylan, at bedtime.
Cyndi
Jan 04, 2012 Cyndi rated it really liked it
Some great pieces: So We'll Go No More a Roving/Byron, O Captain! My Captain!/Whitman, The Village Blacksmith/Longfellow, Jabberwocky/Carroll and what may well be my favorite piece of poetry, The Emperor of Ice Cream/Stevens.

Would like to have had a wider variety, but overall a bettter than average, affordable anthology.
Bedoor Khalaf
Dec 31, 2016 Bedoor Khalaf rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!! So many beautiful poems that everyone must read. Rudyard kipling's poems were great! Edgar Alan Poe's the Raven, Shakespeare's sonnets, and Robert Frost's Stopping by woods on a snowy evening are just a few of the great poems compiled in this book. Excellent
Dayna Smith
Jun 02, 2012 Dayna Smith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
A magnificent collection of poems from some of the best poets of all time.
Sasha (whispersofthesilentwind)
Sep 14, 2015 Sasha (whispersofthesilentwind) rated it really liked it
Note: Read for school
Great collection of poems,very enjoyable read.
Jeremiah Gay
Feb 02, 2017 Jeremiah Gay rated it it was amazing
Title:100 Best-Loved Poems Jeremiah Gay
Editor: Philip Smith Book Review #5

This book was really cool because it holds poems from the 1800th century to now and it’s cool to how people felt and and turned it into something to explain their feeling with rhymes. Themes, “Whose woods these are I think I know, His house is in the village though; He will not see me stopping here To watch his woods fill up with snow. My little horse must think it queer To stop without a farmhouse near, Between the woods
Emily Murphy
Note: This is a hard book to rate, as it is made up of many smaller poems, but I will try nonetheless. All of the ratings are on a scale of 1-10, ten being the best.

Quality of Writing: 7
Who knew poetry could be good? I certainly didn't. I hadn't been exposed to much poetry in school, and some of these poets' grasps on language was truly remarkable and a challenge to me as a writer. Some, of course, was the not-so-great stuff that I had learned in school, bringing this rating slightly down.

Pace:
Jennifer Mangler
Mar 21, 2015 Jennifer Mangler rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry-verse
This collection of poems is okay, but I can't say that it includes my best-loved poems. Some are there, to be sure. Emily Dickinson's I'm Nobody! Who Are You? and Robert Frost's Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening are two of my all-time favs, and I lit up like a Christmas tree when I came across them. They never fail to make me happy. And I love Whitman, so it was great to see I Hear America Singing and Oh Captain! My Captain! (which never fails to make me cry like a baby). Reading this collect ...more
Nissa Annakindt
Jan 25, 2016 Nissa Annakindt rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
This is another volume in the Dover Thrift Editions series. The book is quite an inexpensive way to get a collection of poems that is likely to include at least one or two you've read and loved.

The poems are arranged in chronological order, starting with a couple of ballads, Sir Thomas Wyatt, Christopher Marlowe and some Shakespeare sonnets. Near the end we have Wilfred Owen, e. e. cummings, W. H. Auden and Dylan Thomas.

If you have lead a poetry-deprived life, this book will expose you to a goo
Brendan
Nov 10, 2014 Brendan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The fourth, and final, Dover poetry anthology I am reviewing. As with the others, it is an easily portable, inexpensive book.

Includes work by 58 poets. Ten were born before 1600, another six in the 17th century, twelve in the 18th century, and two in the 20th century. So 28 were born in the 19th century. There are five selections from John Keats, and four each from Shakespeare, Emily Dickinson, and William Blake. Other big names represented are Poe, Whitman, Yeats, Frost, Sandburg, and Cummings
Sharayu Gangurde
Jul 30, 2016 Sharayu Gangurde rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, kindle-books
Christopher Marlowe has me awed about his poetry. He was killed at a very young age of 29 which I shall be soon. So his poetry felt terribly personal to me. Also, I am a big Shakespeare buff.
Marlowe in a deliciously lovely poem titled The Passionate Shepherd to his Love asks her in a simple line to,
Come live with me and be my Love
It sounds almost ethereal and enchanting in a voice that I read in and imagine to be Marlowe's. A deep, resonating baritone which when heard melts even the most harde
Amy
Apr 03, 2016 Amy rated it it was ok
Can I be glad it's over? It took me almost three weeks to sludge through these 93 pages! Poetry is HARD. And I just can't grasp most of it. Poor poets, they're doing what they can't help but do & nobody understands. It is so deeply personal; I would never feel comfortable recommending a specific book/ poet to anyone. I would suggest seeking out a favorite musical artist or author & seeing if they have ever written any. To dive into some early 18th & 19th century is as near to torture ...more
Andy Hickmott
Jul 28, 2013 Andy Hickmott rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Useful for people like me who are trying to catch up after a lifetime's ignorance of poetry, but beware: most of this book is drawn from before the twentieth century. It contains not a single living poet! You might come away with the impression that poetry is no longer written, and a very distorted idea of what today passes for 'good' poetry. Nonetheless I got pleasure from discovering where some familiar lines come from:

'Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?' (Shakespeare)

'How do I love thee?
Shawn
Aug 18, 2013 Shawn rated it really liked it
This economical collection of literature class favorites only cost me $1 for a new copy. Many well-known and classic poems from 50-60 authors are presented in a chronological arrangement. Each author is introduced with a 1-3 sentence sketch. Long poems are excluded by the editor, so you won't find "Hiawatha" or "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" here, but you will find such favorites as Thomas Gray's "Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard," Edgar Allen Poe's "The Raven," Robert Burns' "To a Mouse ...more
Stacy Mar
Apr 15, 2015 Stacy Mar rated it liked it
This book should have read '100 best loved CLASSIC poems.'

While there are many great love poems by poets like edgar allen poe, shakespeare, and so on (dating back the last 500-600 years), there are no contemporary love poems in this book.

This isn't to say I didn't enjoy the book or the poetry, just that the title is misleading. It's nice to study classic poetry, but none of my favorites were in this book!
Kim
Nov 21, 2013 Kim rated it really liked it
There are some definite gems in here! I have added several poetry anthologies to my wish list because of this brief introduction. I question why some of these poems were added, but maybe that's a simple matter of subjectivity in general. This would make a lovely gift for someone new to poetry, young adults, or simply to experience a great cross-section of talent in a small package.

John Cass
Apr 18, 2010 John Cass rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anybody looking to explore poetry for the first time or rediscover old favorites
Shelves: favorites, poetry
Unlike many other anthologies, this book really does contain the 100 best-loved poems. These are some of the poems that you grew up with, with a few new ones to discover added to the mix. I liked the fact the the poems were relatively short and not too involved - an easy read in a comfortable chair to end the evening with.
Stacia
Mar 03, 2016 Stacia rated it liked it
Shelves: own-physical, poetry, 2016
I read this because "poetry" was a category I needed to mark off on a reading challenge for the year.

As poetry goes, it was OK. It's a nice collection of standards, many I've read before, some new. I appreciated the chronological arrangement and short explanations of why the author was included.

Overall, I'm not a huge fan of poetry and this didn't change that.
Robin Conley
Mar 30, 2014 Robin Conley rated it it was amazing
This book had a great sampling of all the best known poets or poems. I really liked the mix they had here. I also loved the fact that they introduced each poet with a few lines about them and their works. There are too many poems inside to write about them all. Basically, anyone who enjoys poetry and likes the classics, should enjoy this book.
Ray
Apr 14, 2013 Ray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Does what it says on the cover ... 100 Best Loved Poems. Not my best 100 though many would be conte
nders if i could summon the nerve to attempt such a list. But 100 for which i can see a reason why they are loved and deserve to be. Good anthology.
G L Meisner
Aug 01, 2014 G L Meisner rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
A wonderful collection that unlike the title isn't about the Best-Loved its about the ones that have contributed to the lexicon of the English language. From Shakespeare to e. e. cummings these are poems that we quote without ever knowing the whole poem. A must read.
Michelle
Oct 23, 2012 Michelle rated it liked it
It was good, but since it was a required school book, I hate it and also I hate poems, so naturally this book would be uninteresting for me.
But I know these poems are what most people like. Poetry lovers should love this book!
Emma
Really great, helped me discover/rediscover some of my favourite poems. I wished for more Wilfred Owen (Dulce et decorum est, mental cases being ones I really wanted in there) and the medieval stuff wasn't really my thing, but overall a great selection of poems modern and medieval:)
Barbara Lovejoy
Apr 16, 2012 Barbara Lovejoy rated it really liked it
After reading one poem a day I read my 100th poem from this book this morning. Some of the poems were favorites while others were new to me. I'll want to read this book again...and again...as I always need to read most poems more than once to get the meaning.
100 Best Loved Poems 2 11 Feb 03, 2012 05:32AM
  • Selected Poems
  • Six American Poets: An Anthology
  • Tales of Terror and Detection
  • The Best Poems of the English Language: From Chaucer Through Frost
  • The Lighthouse Road (Eide Family, #1)
  • Committed to Memory: 100 Best Poems to Memorize
  • Robert Frost's Poems
  • The Classic Tradition of Haiku: An Anthology
  • One Hundred and One Famous Poems: With a Prose Supplement

“For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds; Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds.” 3 likes
“The Road Not Taken Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, And sorry I could not travel both And be one traveler, long I stood And looked down one as far as I could To where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, And having perhaps the better claim, Because it was grassy and wanted wear; Though as for that the passing there Had worn them really about the same, And both that morning equally lay In leaves no step had trodden black. Oh, I kept the first for another day! Yet knowing how way leads on to way, I doubted if I should ever come back. I shall be telling this with a sigh Somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.” 2 likes