Start by marking “Praying Through: Overcoming the Obstacles That Keep Us from God” as Want to Read:

Praying Through: Overcoming the Obstacles That Keep Us from God

Do you kind of hate it when you risk a little vulnerability with someone--you share some hard thing you're going through, some spiritual dry spell, some tender concern--and they say something like "You should pray about it!" . . . as if that's the easiest thing in the world and praying through hard things doesn't feel like a high-risk undertaking. Jarrett Stevens has been ...more
Published January 7th 2020 by NavPress Publishing Group

Win a Copy of This Book

• Praying Through by Jarrett Stevens
    Release date: Jan 07, 2020
    Enter for a chance to win 1 of 10 copies of Praying Through by Jarrett Stevens.

Life can be hard. Prayer doesn’t have to be.

Whatever is going on with

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 10 copies available, 655 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Feb 02 - Feb 29, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Praying Through, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Praying Through

Start your review of Praying Through: Overcoming the Obstacles That Keep Us from God
    Pat Austin
    Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    This book is written to minister to all Christian.
    I meet so many people that ask me to pray for them in church or online. Praying Through by Jarrett Stevens awoke my soul as to the mundane prayers I have been praying.

In the first part of the book he provides a platform to help the reader wake to the power they have as Christians by starting with the disciples request on how to pray! And, what Jesus taught them through the Lord’s Prayer.

After reading the first couple of chapters, the other day, I
    Kim
    Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    This is a solid book on prayer for those new to prayer and anyone looking to renew their prayer life. And who doesn't need renewal?

I usually read a book straight through, but this time I jumped ahead and began at the Chapter "When I am Gripped by Grief." I really appreciate the author's perspective that grief is a teacher, and he speaks from real life experience, not theory. He says, "Grief is a gift wrapped in sandpaper with a barbed wire bow." Yes, it is painful and yes, it can smooth out our
    Joe Mayo
    Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Praying Through
    By Jarrett Stevens

Praying Through is a great book that will encourage your prayer life.
    Jarrett begins and ends the book with this very true statement “You already know how to pray.”

In between those statements, Jarrett explains the struggles of prayer and the solutions to overcome in prayer.

Praying Through will cause you to have a deeper understanding of how to pray, how prayer works, and how to pray more effectively.

Of all the great content in this book, this is by far the one
    Thomas
    Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    When we talk about the concept of prayer, we all have different opinions depending on where we stand in our faith journey. “Praying is hard”, “Praying is for the priest or minister”, or “I’m not sure how to say good prayers” are just some of the statements I’ve heard. Well, if you fit into one of these categories or your new at praying, Pastor Jarrett Stevens book Praying Through is a fantastic resource!

There are a lot of things I love about this book. First, it’s ridiculously practical. You
    Karen Hoffman
    Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I was skeptical about reading this book at first. I don't know Jarrett Steven's work, but I thought I'd give it a try. I have been very surprised by how much I really like the simple, honest, humorous delivery and explanations about prayer. Sometimes we overthink, or forget, and this book is a delightful reminder of how accessible God can be if you just practice! This isn't about being perfect, but about being aware and present to God in your own way. It starts a wee bit slow with a lot of ...more
    Arthur Hsu
    Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Many books get convoluted when it comes to understanding what prayer is all about. Stevens keeps everything simple to comprehend and apply. The goal of the book is to make prayer as natural as possible, just like texting a friend or talking to a person. I appreciate how the book specifically looks at different obstacles in life (e.g., needing help, worry, grief, needing direction) and how prayer, when lived out naturally, can help you overcome these obstacles. Each chapter ends with a prayer ...more
    Sharon Etheridge
    Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    This is a REALLY good book! I am going to give this book as a gift to all my friends! I just kept rereading chapters because it was so helpful for me and the things I am going through. This is a book on how to pray but it is so much more than that! Who knew a chapter on grief could be so helpful! Who knew a chapter on worry could be life changing! Sometimes I think I need to read the chapter on worry every day! I think the title of this book should be in huge letters, "Overcoming The Obstacles ...more
    Maria
    Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Praying Through encouraged me, taught me and reminded me of the importance of taking every thing to God in Prayer. Through those times of life that we all face at one time or another that leave us feeling strong emotions of grief, loss, fear, and using prayer as a time to be thankful and seek direction.
    Reading this book started me turning to prayer faster in times of struggle. I appreciate the power in going to God first. But remembering to do that before the emotions kick in. I struggle with
    Tammy Bourque
    Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Quite honestly, my first thought was that this was "just another book about prayer;" that was quickly dissolved right at the beginning. This book shows you how to pray when you don't think you can, or should. Stevens immediately acknowledges that we already know how to pray. But we need to pray through the moments even when, and especially if, we have no words to say. Praying through is the way through...the way through life...it’s how we face what we’re going through. “The promise of God’s ...more
    Lee Murray
    Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Laurie Aiyana
    Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Jarrett Stevens amazing new book "Praying Through: Overcoming the Obstacles That Keep Us from God offers a fresh perspective in prayer that really fosters presence in a meaningful way that de-mystifies prayer and simplifies application to each person's life. Pastor Stevens covers topics of gratitude, worry, grief, a need for direction, God's silence and the biggie for many - unanswered prayer. The book flows easily and provided strategies for increasing our relationship with the Lord in a manner ...more
    Kimberly Vaughn
    Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
    This book is practical and applicable wherever you find yourself in your prayer life. There is encouragement for the person who is new to faith and prayer, and there is encouragement for the person who is seasoned in prayer. As I read this book I found myself both inspired and challenged. In a hard season of my own life, this refreshed me and pushed me on towards Jesus. And it freed me to grieve in the presence of the Lord in a way that brought healing.
    Anh
    Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    "Praying seems hard...praying is essential..." Jarrett Stevens doesn't hold back in his assessment of what prayer is. Stevens isn't afraid to make it plain and simple this task, this gift, this ritual that Christian's participates in to make supernatural what is natural, and stressed the necessity of it. A timely book for this new decade and this new year. Will be using this book with my family and my clients.
    Debbie Gray
    Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Jarrett Stevens’ book, “Praying Through” is inspiring and challenged me to be more consistent with my own prayer life.

I love how a new Christian can pick up this book and really grow but the mature Christian will gain just as much from it.

Many of the chapters motivated me. However, the chapter that resonated with me most was the one on worry. I will be re-reading it until it sinks in.

Good job, Jarrett Stevens. Praying you sell a million copies!
    Claudia
    Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I loved this book! Jarrett Stevens feels like a fabulous tour guide that really knows his way around, has a love and passion for what he does, and has cultivated a truly powerful experience that leaves you feeling energized and grateful, like sunlight shining in you and through you as you try to soak it all up.
    Jodie Fritinger
    Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    This book is phenomenal! The author/pastor is very down to earth. He gives guidance on prayer in tough times, yet it feels more like conversing with a friend about how to move forward in our lives with God.
    Holly Watson
    Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Thoroughly enjoyed Jarrett's writing style. It is almost as if you are sitting down having a conversation with an old friend. The power of looking for the less than obvious things to be grateful for will be something that stays with me for a very very long time. Thank you!
    Teresa Kalmey
    Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    This book gives you ideas on how to pray throughout your day. It is very practical. If you want to grow in your prayer life I recommend you read this book. I find myself highlighting so much of it to remember.
    Danica Trebel
    Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    This book is perfect for anyone going through...life! It’s full of real examples of some of life’s challenges and difficulties, and it follows them up with the healing and the joy and the relationships that happen on the other side of the “through.” It’s a quick and easy, yet profound, must-read.
    Frank
    Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    This book is great regardless of where you are at with prayer. As someone who believes in the power of prayer, this book has inspired me to pray even more. This is not only a powerful read on prayer, but also a practical one.
    Mary Miller
    Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Whether you are prayer newcomer or have been praying for years, this book is for you. Jarrett reminds us that we tend to make prayer complicated when it is simple.
    Sue Reifsnider
    Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I HIGHLY recommend this book. It is a GREAT read! I have often struggled with prayer. This book has given me a great deal to consider and put into practice.

Blessings,

Sue
    Josh
    Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    This book is great for all people who may need a fresh reminder of praying. There is a great feel throughout the book that presents modern and relevant perspectives, short anecdotes and the authors own real life examples. I highly recommend this book!
    Israel
    Dec 08, 2019
    Andrea Silveus
    Feb 20, 2020

• Acres of Diamonds: Discovering God's Best Right Where You Are
    • I've Seen the End of You: A Neurosurgeon's Look at Faith, Doubt, and the Things We Think We Know
    • If She Fled (Kate Wise Mystery #5)
    • Praying the Bible
    • Life of the Beloved: Spiritual Living in a Secular World
    • Forty Ways to Look at Winston Churchill: A Brief Account of a Long Life
    • Double Blessing: How to Get It. How to Give It.
    • Eat Pray Love Made Me Do It: Life Journeys Inspired by the Bestselling Memoir
    • One True Thing
    • The Rest of God: Restoring Your Soul by Restoring Sabbath
    • Core 52: A Fifteen-Minute Daily Guide to Build Your Bible IQ in a Year
    • Everybody, Always: Becoming Love in a World Full of Setbacks and Difficult People
    • Legacy Reclaimed (The Legacy #3)
    • The Knowledge of the Holy
    • Didn't See It Coming: Overcoming the Seven Greatest Challenges That No One Expects and Everyone Experiences
    • Praying for Rain (The Rain Trilogy, #1)
    • Praying the Bible: The Book of Prayers