Start by marking “Daughter of Rome” as Want to Read:

Daughter of Rome

A woman with a devastating secret. A man bent on proving his worth. A chance encounter that catapults them into the heart of history.

When the daughter of a prominent Roman general meets a disinherited Jewish immigrant, neither one can dream of God's plan to transform them into the most influential couple of the early church. Nor can they anticipate the mountains that will
Published February 4th 2020 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published February 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Daughter of Rome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daughter of Rome

Start your review of Daughter of Rome
Amanda Geaney
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After reading a digital ARC of #DaughteofRome, I'm going to say this is my favorite @TessaAfshar novel to date and I've read them ALL. The message of hope and forgiveness in this book will be like a balm to the soul for many women.
Merie Shen
Before Tessa Afshar's Thief of Corinth, I was never interested in Biblical fiction. I didn't like the overdramatic narrative in books centered around women in Old Testament times. (I call it overdramatic; you may not. Peace, brothers and sisters.) In fact, I think I'm much more likely to pick up a book written in the New Testament era JUST because of that narrative issue I have. But I digress...

Daughter of Rome centers around Priscilla and Aquila, friends of Paul only briefly mentioned in the
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
Have you ever wondered what day-to-day life was like for the early Christian church? What it truly meant to become a follower of The Way in the initial years after Jesus’ resurrection? This is where Biblical fiction, when done well, can seek to take readers into the ancient world alongside the historical figures of old with their customs and etiquette, thereby facilitating a greater understanding of Scripture. Granted, this is no easy task, and although Biblical fiction is one of my favorite ...more
Jarm Boccio
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love the themes of forgiveness and grace woven through Tessa’s latest Biblical fiction! We are never far from God’s compassion, no matter what we have done. I've often wondered about the history of Aquila and Priscilla and was immersed in the very believable and relatable characters and plot. I was present in Rome as their budding romance began, and carried away to their new home in Corinth where they struggled to adjust, and later dedicated themselves to building the church with the Apostle ...more
Em
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Priscilla is unwanted and unloved by her brother and only surviving family member. Now she has a horribly shameful secret and no prospects.

Aquila has chosen to follow Jesus, bringing shame to his family, and now finds himself disowned and disinherited.

She is Gentile, he is Jew. What, then, could these two have in common? It would seem nothing at all. However, as he begins to know her kind spirit and generous nature, he finds that she is his soul's mate. So begins one of the most well-known
Erin Laramore
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Tessa Afshar has done it again, bringing the Bible to life in this New Testament biblical fiction on the life of Priscilla and Aquila. Not much is known about this couple that aided Paul's ministry so much, other than that they were fellow tentmakers, followed Paul to 3 citites and at one point saved his life. I loved how Ms. Afshar breathed life into their story. This, by no means, replaces the actual scriptures and the author is clear to point that out. But with deep research on the culture of ...more
Nay Denise
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, biblical-fiction
Received an ARC from the publisher.

I'm going with a 4.75 star rating for this book. For some reason my mind could not fully connect as I feel the writing was a bit different from the other books. The characters were awesome and the story line was great! This definitely a relatable story for me.

Priscilla is a sweet girl who is both Roman and born of a slave mother. She is treated like a disease by her brother. She was raised with hate, but turned out to be a pure flower. Priscilla dealt with
Heather
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biblical-fiction
Daughter of Rome follows the biblical couple Priscilla and Aquila, richly imagining their story from first acquaintance to falling in love to establishing a marriage to ministering together in the Lord. The story manages to feel both epic and intimate as it traces this couple’s external and internal journeys, victories, and struggles.

The best biblical fiction highlights the humanity behind the names we so easily skim over in the Bible. It can be easy to forget that these were real,
Leslie
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Tessa Afshar has written numerous works of Bible-based fiction so when I saw Daughter of Rome, I knew I wanted to read it. What I didn't realize until I started reading is that it is the story of Priscilla and Aquila. While our information on Prsicilla and Aquila from the Bible is limited, Afshar does a marvelous job of doing extensive Biblical and extra-biblical research to have the fictional story be as historically accurate and real as possible and includes numerous other characters from the ...more
Cara
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Tessa Afshar has written another page turner with Daughter of Rome! She takes a couple that's mentioned a few times in scripture and gives them a wonderful story, while keeping it accurate to the Bible!

This is an interesting read as it takes place during the New Testament, after Christ has died. This book tells of some of what went on in Acts. Reading about the early church was a lot of fun, seeing how people started sharing Christ in synagogue and some of the conflict between the Jewish and
Nicole
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED it!!!!!!!!
Tessa Afshar has done it again with a tale that transports you to antiquity and leaves you marveling at how God can use the struggles in our life to bring about something beautiful!
This books now ranks up with Pearl in the Sand and In The Fields of Grace, as one of my favorite Tessa Afshar books! Priscilla and Aquila were names that I was familiar with as the couple who worked alongside Paul. But everyone has a backstory, and this author did a fantastic job of weaving a
Becca-Rae Weidel
If it's possible to start the year out by finding your favorite read for the whole year, that might have just happened. At the least I can guarantee that it will make my favorites list. I don't even think I have the words to do this story justice. Incredible!

One thing that I felt was very well done in this novel was the shock and leeriness surrounding the sudden freedom for Jews and Gentiles to be brought to the same table of fellowship. Living in today's world, it's hard for us to understand
Ebos Aifuobhokhan
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Reading Daughter Of Rome felt like home.

The characters were wonderful. I squealed when Apostle Paul was introduced. I got to read about this work in Corinth apart form the accounts in the Bible and it was wonderful.
The manner in which the author presented the couple Priscilla and Aquilla was marvelous. They were normal people like me plagued with the same faults and struggles like everyone. But their faith and trust in God was the most admirable trait of theirs.

I fell in love with Priscilla. Her
Ifueko Ogbomo
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant, beautiful, biblical-fiction masterpiece!

Daughter of Rome is an eloquently-written, heart-warming tale that essentially displays the unconditional nature of God's love towards all people, irrespective of personal history, heritage, nationality, gender, age or station.

Tessa Afshar's gift for bringing the bible to life is surreal! This brilliant book is riddled with dynamic relationships that effortlessly deliver poignant lessons on friendship, family and fellowship; and, paint a lucid
Ruth Hartunian-alumbaugh
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Only four words to submit for my review.

Please.
Write.
A.
Sequel.

Tessa Ashfar never fails to deliver everything I love in a book: adventure, heart felt moments, profound insights, romance (decent), humor, writing based on copious amounts of research, twists and turns, and heart-stopping page turns that make me cry for more.

Congratulations on your newest winner. All of your books are.
Dawn Boucher byington
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Daughter of Rome opens with a secret. A secret that could ruin a young girls life. I am drawn into this world through exquisite description and storytelling. Tessa draws me into this world expertly and I can instantly hear the inner voice of the character. I can feel her fear and her trepidation. I can see and smell and feel everything she is sensing.

Daughter of Rome not only draws you into Pricillas world but also Aquilla’s. We get to see and hear his point of view. The war between his heart
Nora St Laurent
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here’s a peek at the opening, “Heart slamming against her chest, stomach roiling like flood waters, Priscilla stood before the closed door. She had come to this same spot four times already without taking a step within.”

After the prologue where readers get a glimpse at Pricilla’s frightening situation, time fast forwards four years. We then meet Aquilla as he walks the streets of Rome, “The inescapable stench of sewage and rotting garbage assaulted Aquilla’s senses, making him wince.” He had
Phyllis
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
A great story of early Christians

Daughter of Rome is an intriguing account of what the lives of Priscilla and Aquila could have been like. I was very interested in seeing the research that the author did to determine what type of environment they likely grew up in based on what we know from Scripture.

Aquila experienced firsthand the consequences of choosing to follow Yeshua. Not willing to deny his faith, he was disowned and lost his earthly inheritance.

Despite having been treated abominably by
Shelley Singh
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Daughter of Rome book review

Tessa Afshar’s latest release is a literary gem. The biblical fiction genre is somewhat new to me, yet it did not take long to captivate my attention from beginning to end. The novel is set in ancient Rome with a of plethora amiable characters. Based upon the book of acts, Priscilla and Aquila play a central role in Daughter of Rome.
It is a joy to watch Priscilla flourish in her identity in Christ, as she wholeheartedly submits to her life and fears continuously
E. Espinoza
Daughter of Rome, by Tessa Afshar, is a stunning example of how thrilling Biblical fiction can be! As equally fascinating as it is moving, this novel is profoundly thoughtful and utterly enjoyable. With threads of history, romance, faith, and mystery, Ms. Afshar skillfully weaves a story that is truly compelling and utterly uplifting.

From the ancient historical setting, to the intriguing characters, to the fascinating plot, Ms. Afshar presents a story that is wholly satisfying! Within the homes
Yannick Tricia
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a great fan of Tessa Asfhar book and I pre-ordered Daughter of Rome.
The story is appealing, beautifully written.
It’s inspired by the story of Priscilla and Aquilla who were follower of Jesus and close friends to the Apostle Paul in the bible( Acts 18 verses 1-15).
Priscilla is a young woman living in Rome hiding a heavy burden, she turn to God and give her life to Jesus.
Aquilla a Jewish immigrant arrive in Rome with his uncle to work after a painful break-up and his Father disowning.
Kathy DiDomizio
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Biblical fiction writer Tessa Afshar has once again knocked it out of the park with her newest novel, Daughter of Rome. This beautifully written tale transports us to the world of Aquila and Priscilla in the days of the early Christian church. It offers a plausible backstory for how this Jewish man and Gentile woman might have met and eventually grown together as the Biblical couple in Corinth who were tentmakers and active in Paul’s ministry.
The Bible gives little detail about the couple, but
Fiction Aficionado
One of my favourite things about biblical fiction is the way it can take characters of whom little is known beyond their names and give them flesh, blood, and historical context. Daughter of Rome does all that and more for Priscilla and Aquila, the husband and wife who are mentioned several times in the New Testament as Paul’s co-workers in Christ Jesus.

When they first meet, both Priscilla and Aquila know what it is to feel unwanted and to feel the weight of shame, albeit for different reasons.
Inspirationalfictionreader
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
“The only way to peace is by learning to accept, day by day, the circumstances and tests permitted by God. By the repeated laying down of our own will, and the accepting of His as it is presented in the things which happen to us.”

This was one of my favorite quotes from Daughter of Rome. Tessa Afshar’s talent for creating fictional accounts around Biblical characters amazes me! Her writing style always draws me in and I’m always excited to see where she takes the story. In Daughter of Rome, Ms.
Barbara
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing

Daughter of Rome
Wonderful and familiar Biblical characters painted with creative insight as to how their life and love story might have happened. Author Tessa Afshar weaves a creative story bringing the facts we know from scripture to life, blended with imagination, giving us a story of how it might have been for a Jewish young man, Aquila, when he encounters a gentile young woman with a troubled and secret past. Priscilla hungered and yearned for acceptance, yet did not quite belong and planned
Janet
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, historical
Fictional backstory for Aquila and Priscilla was a joy to read. Interesting characters speaking God's truth into each other's lives was edifying and entertaining.
Ochegba
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Once a book has Tessa Afshar's name attached to it, I snatch it up quickly not caring what it's about because I know I'll come out from reading it challenged, wanting to do more and wondering how can I apply these lessons to my walk of faith.
Daughter of Rome did all these and more and yes I must confess I definitely did shed a year or two. The messages of grace of redemption and forgiveness throughout the book had me spellbound.
Priscilla challenged me as a person and as a Christian. Her earnest
Nay Denise
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Received an ARC from the publisher.

Martha
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
When you read biblical fiction, there are always spoilers. However, this book since this was a less commonly known character or characters from the bible, it didn't feel that way totally.
I loved the history thinking about a Gentile marrying a Jew because of Christianity. The racial divide was pronounced and as I see this often now, with the rampant racism, this book is so applicable for today.
The message of allowing Christ's forgiveness of your sins spoke to me, as I read about someone that
Heidi
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First Initial Thoughts

Priscilla is the daughter of a deceased Roman general. She is now under the care of her brother but her brother does not treat her like a sister in a wealthy home. Recently she has been going to the synagogue and is intrigued by the information she learns about God. There she meets a few people and become fast friends. And through those friends, she meets Aquila. I liked Priscilla but felt that she was holding herself back at first. You could tell that she wanted to do
« previous 1 3 next »

• On Wings of Devotion (The Codebreakers, #2)
  • An Uncommon Woman
  • Isaiah's Legacy (Prophets and Kings #3)
  • Veiled in Smoke (The Windy City Saga, #1)
  • Collateral Damage (Danger Never Sleeps, #1)
  • The Way of the Brave (Global Search and Rescue, #1)
  • The End of the Magi
  • End Game (Capital Intrigue, #1)
  • Seconds to Live (Homeland Heroes, #1)
  • Above the Fold
  • The Fifth Avenue Story Society
  • Echoes Among the Stones
  • The Blizzard Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #11)
  • Until the Mountains Fall (Cities of Refuge, #3)
  • The Dutch House
  • Deadly Deceit (Harbored Secrets, #2)
  • Collision of Lies
  • Of Fire and Lions (Prophets and Kings, #2)
Tessa Afshar is an award-winning author of historical and biblical fiction. Her novel, Land of Silence, won an Inspy award, and was voted by Library Journal as one of five top Christian Fiction titles of 2016. It was also nominated for the 2016 RT Reviewer’s Choice Award for best Inspirational Romance. Harvest of Gold won the prestigious 2014 Christy Award in the Historical Romance category. Her ...more
“With the ease of long familiarity, they slipped into the hallowed in-between place which is prayer, one foot firmly in the world, and another on a higher plane. The spoke to God, they walked with Yeshua (Jesus), they heard from the Spirit. They were filled, once more, with the wonder of the Father, who loved them and rejoiced over them.” 1 likes