Start by marking “The English Governess” as Want to Read:
The English Governess

The English Governess

3.5  ·  Rating details ·  6 Ratings  ·  1 Review
A classic of Canadian erotica, this is the original restored edition of the flagellation story Glassco crafted for the notorious Paris publisher Maurice Girodias and his Olympia Press.

John Glassco (1909-1981) came from an established Montréal family, and lived the better part of his life near the village of Foster in the Eastern Townships of Quebec. He was a distinguished
Published December 5th 2000 by Dundurn / The Golden Dog Press (first published 1960)

To ask other readers questions about The English Governess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The English Governess

MaleReader
I read this title because I heard it was a literary classic about female domination. Because I had read “Venus in fur”, which is also a classic in femdom literature, I was expecting a work of similar rank. I was quite disappointed. It’s almost only discipline through corporal punishment, and a bit of humiliation. I didn't connect much with the characters as it is more telling than showing. There is quite a bit of vanilla sex and the s&m portion is very extreme, repetitive and unarousing.
Theo Reijnders
Thetorres
Dec 21, 2013
Booklovinglady
Sep 05, 2014
He also published under the pseudonyms Miles Underwood, Sylvia Bayer, George Colman and Jean De Saint-Luc.

John Glassco was a Canadian poet, memoirist, novelist and translator. Glassco will be remembered for his brilliant autobiography, his elegant, classical poems, his translations and his erotica.