Start by marking “Your Sad Eyes and Unforgettable Mouth” as Want to Read:
Your Sad Eyes and Unforgettable Mouth

Your Sad Eyes and Unforgettable Mouth

From Edeet Ravel, internationally acclaimed author of the Tel Aviv Trilogy, comes a deeply personal novel about an unexpected friendship. Maya and Rosie meet one day at the local dry cleaner's and their instant friendship blossoms into an inseparable bond. Both are children of holocaust survivors, but where Maya refuses to become entangled in the past, Rosie is inexorably ...more
Published September 9th 2008 by Viking

To ask other readers questions about Your Sad Eyes and Unforgettable Mouth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Sad Eyes and Unforgettable Mouth

Carolyn Gerk
Feb 06, 2011 rated it liked it
At moments during this novel, I felt that I had read it before. I often find myself caught up in books that follow our tortured female heroine through the paths of a coming of age story, packed with beautiful prose and language, rich imagery, angst ridden plot twists and broken people; side characters whose lives are rife with the arts, literature, music, painting. You Sad Eyes hosts all of these things , and at times, I thought, gosh, I am reading the same thing, over and over.
However, though
Jen
Apr 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
I'm a huge fan of Edeet ravel because she tackles what seem like old stories from a fresh perspective. IN this case, this is the coming of age story of two friends in 1960s Montreal. ther's all the travails of boys, parents, friends, swimming pools. theres' the added pinch here that the friends and all their friends are the children of Holocaust survivors. How their famileis cope with (or don't) talk about (or dont') what ahppenend "over there" is the real heart of this story. I found it really ...more
Shonna Froebel
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: canadian
This book was recommended to me back in January and I finally got around to reading it. I really enjoyed it. The novel is very character-driven, centering around Maya, daughter of a Holocaust survivor. Maya's father died before she was born and she lives with her mother and grandmother. She is a bit of a misfit and feels it until one summer when she attends an unorthodox summer camp. The following summer she meets and becomes friends with Rosie, another daughter of Holocaust survivors and embark ...more
Jamie
Jan 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone with a well-rounded vocabulary
It's hard to explain how I feel about this book. In some ways, it seemed to drag on at times, and I felt that the ending seemed rushed and didn't really do justice to the rest of the story. However, what was good was really good. The author's style of prose drew the characters' descriptions perfectly without the tediousness of over-description that seems so common in fiction these days. I especially enjoyed the particular view of certain friendships as inconstant, yet definitive things. Actually ...more
Allison
Apr 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
If the truest humour comes from pain, this book is laugh-out-loud funny, while at the same time so sad it makes you feel like you've swallowed stone. Wonderful, lovable, damaged characters. Addressing the unanswerable question -- how to go on after something like the Holocaust, something so comprehensively negating and destructive? And the only answer is, you do go on, however broken and isolated you might be. Beautiful.
Jessica
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love Edeet Ravel's style. Her prose is like a veil being pulled back, but only enough to catch glimpses of what is going on. Then you get to surmise the rest. Her characters are beautifully realized and the story is heart-wrenching. An interesting look at how the past affects us all, even when it isn't our own past, especially when it's our own past. Plot-wise, not much "happens", per se, but it doesn't need to. A worthy book.
Fiona Robinson
Jan 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a good book, a very interesting perspective and a protagonist that it is easy to feel for. A few plot twists and developments that seemed a little unlikely, or not as good as the rest of it, but overall very good. I enjoyed the fact that it is set in Montreal, but that was not really central to the story.
Morgan
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
I feel terrible for pretty much hating this book. There was some real promise towards the beginning, but I felt like the story never went anywhere. For much of the book I felt as though the story on paper was being told around the actual story--which was far more interesting and devastating. As written though, I just didn't care for it.
Claire
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Set in Montreal, a book about growing up as the daughter of a Holocaust survivor. Some kooky characters, intense feelings for her friends and coming out as a lesbian. This book, the story, the teen angst felt so familiar like I've read it before. But the ending is one you can't forget and that leaves you disturbed with the twist at the end.
Heather
Nov 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
The title, cover photo, and for that matter, jacket description threw me off: I was expecting an angst-ridden novel with the plot secondary to the language. The writing is good, but this is more of an adolescent coming of age story, with lots of funny bits (and sad bits too). In my view, the only problem is the novel ended too soon, with some major gaps in the storyline.
Theresa
Dec 13, 2016 rated it liked it
A mostly character driven novel, but with a surprising plot towards the end. It focuses on themes of intergenerational trauma, belonging, family & love. An interesting look at intense friendships between girls in high school.
Kathleen McRae
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Your sad eyes is a coming not age story set in 1960's Montreal.All the main teen characters are the children of holocaust survivors who talk about what happened 'there' only in a very disjointed sense.I found this to be an interesting read
Jackie
Apr 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
This first person narrative embarks inot the crucial year of young love, rebellion and identity.
It explores the lives of young people in the face of their parents struggle to rebuild theri lives fallowing the trauma they experienced "over there".
Paige
Jan 18, 2009 rated it it was ok
I was disappointed by this book, mainly since I loved the Tel Aviv trilogy by the same author. The characters had a lot of promise, but I felt like I just never really connected with any of them.
Kim
Ravel's characters perfectly display how the trauma of war and genocide are passed along from one generation to the next.
Maree Cox-Baker
Sep 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: calibre, can-lit
Really enjoyed this book.
Lisa
Sep 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2008, jewish
Amazing, beautiful, fascinating...I'll write more later.
glenn boyes
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love the work of Edeet Ravel (Guelph, ON resident), and again her novel Your Sad Eyes and Unforgettable Mouth, stirred deeply within my soul.
Valerie
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all women
gorgeous.
ravel is my favorite Canadian author.
Lesley
Jan 11, 2013
Kylie
rated it did not like it
Feb 22, 2012

• Robin and Ruby
  • Getting In
  • The Friends of Meager Fortune
  • Forgiving Ararat
  • I Shot You Babe (Bombay Assassins, #4)
  • Bone Fire
  • The Sonderberg Case
I spent my first seven years on Sasa, an Israeli kibbutz, and the next ten in Montreal. I returned to Jerusalem in 1973 to study at Hebrew University. I wrote continually as I accumulated degrees (a BA and MA in English, followed by an MA in Creative Writing and a PhD in Biblical Exegesis at McGill) and then taught, but I did not send out my work until I was in my forties; I had completed ten or s ...more