Start by marking “Ashlords” as Want to Read:
Ashlords

Ashlords

(Untitled Duology #1)

Red Rising meets The Scorpio Races in this epic fantasy following three phoenix horse riders--skilled at alchemy--who must compete at The Races--the modern spectacle that has replaced warfare within their empire.

Every year since the Ashlords were gifted phoenix horses by their gods, they've raced them. First into battle, then on great hunts, and finally for the pure sport of seeing
Expected publication: January 21st 2020 by Crown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Ashlords, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ashlords

Scott Reintgen
Jun 18, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
And for my next trick, magical horses?

I've never been so excited about a book. Ashlords follows three riders who have entered an annual phoenix horse racing competition. That's right. Phoenix. Horse. Racing. The unique breed can ride all day, but dies each night. Using alchemical powders, the riders must summon their horse back to life at sunrise. And depending on what powders you use, you can also alter what kind of horse you're riding. Want a horse with armored shoulders? Or a hors
megs_bookrack
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!

Thank you so much, Crown Books for Young Readers, for my early copy!!

Magical Horses.
A competition.
I could not be more excited about this!!!
Dianne
Scott Reintgen’s ASHLORDS is a literary powerhouse of imagination! Race along the elite riders in an annual race on phoenix horses that die each sunset, only to be reborn with alchemy the next sunrise. Deceit, treachery, and the need to win at any cost will test three riders from three different walks of life. Who will keep their honor and integrity? Who will fall to the lowest of lows?

A brilliantly told tale that invites readers to ride alongside, peek into the characters’ minds and thrill at every st
MarjorieBrd
Jul 11, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
after reading the nyxia trilogy my new motto is to read absolutely everything that has scott reintgen's name on the cover
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
Mmkay yeah I'm gonna need this
♠️ TABI ♠️
this sounds so freaking good it better not let me down
Peter
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hells yeah! eARC from #netgalley

Lives up to its billing as Hunger Games meets the Scorpio Races, two of my favorite books. Throw in a little Red Queen revolution chaos and I'm excited to see where this goes.
Kelli Spear
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This was a super fun, fast-paced ride that I couldn’t get enough of!

Now, I’ve never read The Scorpio Races, but based upon the description, this book feels like a mix of that story and The Hunger Games. Toss in some gods and you’ve got a pretty cool mix and a kick ass story.

It’s told from several points of view. And at first, I chose Imelda as a favorite. I loved her voice, her character, her being the underdog and oppressed. Then, I started shifting towards Adrian. The rebel,
Sarah Pounds
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AHHHHH!!!!
THIS IS THE YA BOOK OF MY DREAMS!!!
WESTORLD meets the SCORPIO RACES
Horses + magic + teens pitted against each other + government anarchy, Oh and don't forget the modern technology with TV's and Social media.

Scott is a phenomenal writer and his world-building is so unique and fresh. I devoured this book and so grateful I got an ARC early!
Minx
Aug 10, 2019 marked it as to-read
I received a digital ARC of this novel courtesy of NetGalley and Random House Children's
Crown Books for Young Readers in exchange for an honest and voluntary review. Will post full review closer to publication date of January 21, 2020.
Claire Mac
Okaaaaay, I need this now !
Alexandra Zaytseva
Full review will be up on my blog closer to the publication date

For everyone who loves the Hunger Games, Divergent or the Maze Runner, YOU NEED TO READ THE NYXIA TRILOGY. And after you are hooked, just as I am, immediately pick the first book in his new YA duology - «Ashlords»!

Scott Reintgen has done it again! The competitions he sets up in his books are the most exciting, dangerous and exhilarating reading experiences, and I just want to re-read them over and over again, as the adrenaline pumps in my veins, worr
Erika Winterlia
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Ashlords we meet three characters from very different cultures, and they are all competing against each other in a horse race of a lifetime. One is an Ashlord golden girl, born into a position of power and fame, one is a revolutionary's son who bears the fate of his people’s freedom on his shoulders, and one is a determined alchemist protégé who hopes to show the Ashlords her people are done bowing to them.

When I got the chance to read and review Ashlords I jumped at the opportuni
Anne
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks so much to NetGalley and Random House Children's Publishing for letting me read and review this fantastic book.
I've read The Nyxia Triad by Scott Reintgen and knew from reading that series that he was a great writer with wonderful stories. I am so excited I got to read this book and can't wait for the next book after this one because I have questions that need answers.
I'm super curious about some things after reading Ashlords with the characters and their stories, what's going to h
Adrienne
Da-aang! This book pretty much has it all. There are terrific characters, a unique plot, and a fascinating setting.

First, the main characters, who come from three different groups--Adrian, the Longhand who is entering the Races to incite his people to revolt against the domineering Ashlords, Imelda, the Dividian who wants the chance to win but is a longshot because of how disadvantaged her people are, and Pippa, the Ashlord daughter of two former Race champions who is the easy favorite to win.
Kristel
ARC given by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

I loved it! Phoenix horses rising from their ashes. Conspiracies. Races. Betrayals. Gods. War. Alchemy. Multiple point of views. There really wasn't anything I didn't love. Even the weird way Pippa's chapters were written didn't annoyed me as much as I thought they were going to.

The story is told from three different povs, each from a different fraction of how the world is built. Imelda, the dividian, alchemist extraordinaire;
Teri
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With comp titles like Red Rising and The Scorpio Races, combined with a stunning cover and intriguing description, I jumped at the invitation to read and review Ashlords.  Being a fan of Reintgen's Nyxia Triad series, I anticipated an exciting read, but this?  Completely above and beyond my expectations.

Phoenix horses - what an outstanding concept.  Toss in alchemy, a Hunger Games-ish race, gods, spirits, a brewing war, and you've got an addictive read.  I have to admit, the world-bu
Lauren Scott
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Digital ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Note to self, read anything and everything that has Scott Reintgen's name on it.

If you told me that a book about phoenix horses will exist in the near future, I would be pumped to read it. If you then told me that book was written by the author of the NYXIA triad, I would do almost anything to get my hands on it. In this story we follow three characters, all from different backgrounds, as they try to becom
Katie (Readerrewind)
Is anyone surprised really that I loved this book? I’m a huge fan of Scott’s first series, Nyxia, and Ashlords was just as gripping! Perfect for fans of The Hunger Games. This book is not only about racing (actually, the race doesn’t being until more than half way through the book), it’s also about social class structures, discrimination and rebellion.

What you need to know going in: You will be following 3 POVs, and one is told in 2nd person. It’s a little jarring, but it does fit th
Kathryn at Book Ink Reivews
A copy of this review can be found at Book Ink Reviews.

Thank you to Joshua Redlich at Random House Children's book for this free ARC in exchange for an honest review. All opinions expressed herein are my own.

A captivating twist on the legend of the phoenix, Reintgen takes us into a completely foreign world that contains equal threads of Red Rising and The Hunger Games with enough originality to sit proudly beside both on the shelf.

Throughout the novel, we follow three points of view. One told in second p/>Thank
Lauren
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
First in a series - felt like reading a mixture of Scorpio Races and The Hunger Games with a dash of Red Queen. But it’s definitely got its own flavor, too. I loved the first book, but am worried about how the sequel will be given how this one ended. Kind of like in HG when the game is over and you’re like, now what? The game plot was so exciting what could top it? Ir at least keep the momentum going.

I hope we get more Phoenix horses and more backstory on them - it was glossed over in this book
roxi Net
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: roxiown
A great and fun read done in one sitting. I haven't finished a book in a while (rather than just being in the middle of 20) and Ashlords was my breakthrough. I was hooked from the beginning in Imelda's point of view and a slight twist in a conqueror's tale. Coming from oppressed peoples, Imelda's dream is to ride with the Ashlords on her phoenix-horse, created from specific combinations of ashes. Pippa, as an Ashlord princess favored to win the races, knows, without a doubt she'll win. Adrian th ...more
Jenny Bravo
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this.
The separate points of view completely made this book for me. PIPPA IS A BOSS. I don't know why I instantly connected to her and love her with my whole heart. Getting to read all the differences in where they place in the race was awesome. It felt like I was there. My only reason for even docking a star is because I am a sucker for backstory. I needed more about the overall logistics of this world and it just didn't feel like there was enough. I know plenty about the rac
Michelle
Sep 23, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Crown Books for providing the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I'm a big fan of the Phoenix mythology, so when I saw this book combining that with horses? It's a fascinating concept that I absolutely wanted to dive into. Although the story absolutely gives off those "Hunger Games" vibes as anticipated, the book had a slow start for me and the characters felt flat.

Not the writing for my taste.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

I reviewed this a long time ago on my blog and Netgalley. I just keep forgetting to get it of my currently reading. That’s why I don’t like to have books currently reading. Either way, I enjoyed it!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Alysa H.
Aug 15, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: netgalley
** I received a Review Copy of this book via NetGalley **
Paloma
Oct 08, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paloma-says
I am a horse girl through and through. Book has a horse on the cover? Color me intrigued. Book actually contains horses and they seem to play a big part? Well, that baby is going straight on my TBR.
asbah
ARC Via Publisher
Rose
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A great start to a new series!

I was so excited for this book, and it did not disappoint! I could hardly put this one down! Scott Reintgen has a fantastic ability to make me care for even the most unlikable of characters. This one was told through the point of view of three wildly different characters - something I've actually not seen before. It worked beautifully, and I'm not even sure who I should be rooting for! The race was enthralling, and with each change in POV I found myself sympathizin
Scott Reintgen grew up in North Carolina, and took full advantage of the fact that he lived on the same street as fourteen of his cousins. It could be a little crowded, but he threw a few elbows and carved out a space for himself as the family storyteller. He enjoyed the role so much that he decided to spend most of college and graduate school investing in the world of literature. This led to a ca ...more