Start by marking “Art From Her Heart: Folk Artist Clementine Hunter” as Want to Read:
Art From Her Heart: Folk Artist Clementine Hunter

Art From Her Heart: Folk Artist Clementine Hunter

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  88 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
A picture book biography of the remarkable folk artist Clementine Hunter.

Can you imagine being an artist who isn't allowed into your own show? That's what happened to folk artist Clementine Hunter. Her paintings went from hanging on her clothesline to hanging in museums, yet because of the color of her skin, a friend had to sneak her in when the gallery was closed.With lyr
Published September 18th 2008 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Art From Her Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Art From Her Heart

Sofi
May 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING. I read this for a research project. The story was super interesting!
Chrissy Emmons
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this biography by Kathy Whitehead. I was surprised by the focus area of the author. In the majority of the autobiographies that I have read, the author describes the individuals life from childhood to death. In this biography, the author focuses on the the time period when Clementine became an artist and presented her work to the public. The author also included the many inspirations that Clementine used to create her work.
I think that this material should be apart of many elem
Linda
My good friend who loans me wonderful books gave this to me recently. When I read stories like this, I wonder how many other ‘hidden’ artists have been or are out there, working away in less than ideal circumstances, rarely found. Clementine Hunter was fortunate in one way, the planation for which she worked was a haven for artists, and one time a visiting artist left some supplies. Clementine asked if she could have them, and that is when one of the writers discovered her talent & helped h ...more
Malaika Hopson
Oct 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
This remarkable picture book displays the biography of the folk artist Clementine Hunter. This is a story serves as a vehicle to introduce the lifestyle of a southern black woman. Whitehead's lyrical text speaks of Hunter's perseverance and talent as well as of the simplicity, love of nature, and caring of friends and family that informed her work. This book offers children a variety of things to think about, question, or consider. The bold mixed-media illustrations portray Hunter in hard times ...more
Rebecca
May 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Art form her heart is a really inspiring storry. It's about a woman that was a slave and she didn't have the freedom to paint and express herself in the way she wanted. So she did it secretly. And painted the world round her and her storry. After some slaves where reelesed because of the goverment changes. The best way to make mony (sense she was a slave and could't get any good jobs) was to sell her art. After a while some important people saw her art and wanted to put it in a museum. One part ...more
Roxanne Hsu Feldman
The text has a unifying sentiment of "not waiting for the perfect": paint, paper, canvas, time, etc. This unity gives the story a crisp momentum and cadence. With very few words, the readers get a strong sense of her life, time, and art. Slightly more detailed information about Hunter's story is presented in the clear back matter. I appreciate Shane Evans' artwork at not mimicking Hunter's style but it shines with dignity and details in colors and forms. One artist's tribute to another. The use ...more
Kathi
Jan 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Most picture book biographies are aimed at older kids, but the sweet message in this story beckons all ages to follow their hearts.

Kathy Whitehead and Shane Evans have created a story that illuminates Clementine Hunter, both the person and her art, and because it's told in such a straightforward way, without any clutter or extraneous story, Ms. Hunter and her paintings literally shine on the page.

This book is a wonderful introduction to a painter whose life stands as a beacon for all of us.

Lov
Michelle Despres
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, art-arch
I feel pedantic (or something) saying that a children's book could have been better written, but I'll say it anyway. Could have been better.

Loved the illustrations, and appreciated learning about Hunter. I especially appreciated the more detailed biography at the end of the book along with some of the samples of her work.

Remarkable woman. I'm glad she received the support she did.

And if anyone is looking for a gift idea for me....
Elizabeth
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love this biography and finds it lends itself very well to a storytime and activity format. The bright illustrations kept their attention and the text is not overly wordy, but still informative.

(I do feel the need to point out that it does not actually cover slavery, as Clementine Hunter was born well after the Civil War. All the cotton picking is just how many in rural Louisiana earned their living.)
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This brief introduction to folk artist/painter Clementine Hunter, known as Tebe, was frustrating in that it didn't show enough of her artwork, and then only in small pictures. As a picture book, this book is fine, but a better, more detailed book is Talking With Tebe: Clementine Hunter, Memory Artist, edited by Mary Lyons.
Susan
Nov 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Interesting approach of life in transition from slavery to modern times as told through the life of fold artist Clementine Hunter. Good lead for discussion of life after the Civil War and before Civil Rights laws were implemented. Very simple story - easy for even the youngest to understand.
Kim
Sep 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kim by: FRA2010
Shelves: children
This is a wonderful story of Clementine Hunter, a self-taught artist, who at one point in history was unable to view her own art shows due to her skin color. A story for all to read and learn- you can accomplish anything your heart desires.
oplkids
This picture book biography is the story of Clementine Hunter, a slave who taught herself to paint. When her paintings were finally displayed in a gallery, she was not allowed to come in and see her own art. There are some reproductions of her paintings in the book.
Rachel
Mar 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing and true story of folk artist, Clementine Hunter, who taught herself to paint when she was 50. She grew up in dire circumstances and became a wonderful folk artist.
Nan
Feb 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Beautifully written and illustrated.
Paula
Clementine Hunter's paintings went from hanging on her clothesline to hanging in museums, yet because of the color of her skin, a friend had to sneak her in when the gallery was closed.
Zonia
Oct 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-school
An easy Biography to read aloud.
Joy
Oct 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: elementary
Not sure why this was in our high school library, but it was an absolutely gorgeous book.
Maija