Start by marking “Nutmeg Street: Egyptian Secrets (A Botanic Hill Detectives Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Nutmeg Street: Egyptian Secrets (A Botanic Hill Detectives Mystery, #1)

Nutmeg Street: Egyptian Secrets (A Botanic Hill Detectives Mystery, #1)

World-famous Egyptologist Dr. Winston Thornsley died suddenly two months ago in disgrace. His widow, Ida Thornsley, remains convinced her husband was falsely accused of stealing an ancient burial urn he discovered in Egypt last summer, but local and federal law enforcement officers are stumped.

Mrs. Thornsley, desperate for answers, calls in her thirteen-year-o
Paperback, First Edition, 205 pages
Expected publication: February 1st 2020 by Acorn Publishing LLC

Start your review of Nutmeg Street: Egyptian Secrets (A Botanic Hill Detectives Mystery, #1)
Bonnie Grover
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, student
Perfect for upper elementary and middle school students! In the first book in the Botanic Hill Mystery series 4 teenagers work together to solve the mystery of a missing Egyptian urn. I enjoyed learning about the Egyptology that was woven throughout the story.
Flora Burlingame
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you have middle-graders who imagine themselves super sleuths, A Botonic Hill Detective Mystery—Book 1, NUTMEG STREET: Egyptian Secrets is a good bet. Four thirteen-year-old amateur detectives of mixed heritage are determined to help a neighbor clear her late husband of a serious crime she knew he didn’t commit.
During the development of the plot, kids learn about ancient Egypt, snake poison, a condition call synesthesia, with some Hawaiian words thrown in. Twists and turns and suspiciou
Barbara Rasmussen
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nutmeg Street: Egyptian Secrets is an interesting, informative, fun read about 4 junior detectives, who follow the clues to solve the mystery. The story is filled with facts and information about Egyptology, using authentic words with explanations of meanings following. The story includes enhanced comprehensive elements such as a detective who loves to give definitions of words, another detective who uses authentic Hawaiian words, and a Hawaiian dictionary at the end. There is also a map for vis ...more
K.A. Fox
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great read for all ages. If you loved Nancy Drew or Encyclopedia Brown, you'll truly enjoy this debut. Fun and action packed, it will keep readers' attention all the way through. A mystery that reminds us of the power of friendship and the importance of teamwork. Readers will be cheering for these four young detectives until the very end.
Sam Ashkenas
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sherrill Joseph has created characters so lovable and interesting that readers can't help but feel like they are personal friends. Lexi, Moki, Rani, and Lanny become four young detectives off to track down a sacred urn, but the lessons they learn extend far beyond an Egyptian artifact. This is a story of friendship and determination that will keep kids glued until the end.
Lois Letchford
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An enthralling group of children is out to solve the mysteries occurring in their community. Readers are transported to the exciting world of intrigue in a museum and Egyptology. A well written and detailed adventure! I look forward to reading about further adventures with this group of investigators.
Holly Kammier
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kids, you're about to meet four new heroes! Join in the excitement as these cool teen detectives lead you on an unforgettable adventure into the world of ancient Egypt treasures using smarts and teamwork to solve their challenging case. Parents and teachers, you'll appreciate the themes of friendship, honesty, and perseverance that make Nutmeg Street: Egyptian Secrets a fun and valuable read.
Pamela McCord
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In this first book in the Botanic Hill Detectives Mysteries series, 13-year-old detectives Lanny, Lexi, Moki, and Rani track down clues to find a stolen Egyptian urn. Accompany the four young detectives as they follow the trail, and their instincts, to find answers to all the mysterious events that make Nutmeg Street: Egyptian Secrets such a fun read.
P.J. Colando
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nutmeg Street is a middle-grade read and rates all E's from me: exciting, entertaining, and exceptional in every way. It's educational, too, with word definitions and facts of ancient Egypt woven in. Four engaging characters co-lead to solve mysteries for others. What a hook!
Sherrill Joseph
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Growing up in San Diego, I discovered early on that there were many streets named for botanicals. I remember thinking that if I could just live on Nutmeg Street, something magical would happen! I never did live on that street, but I know for a fact that it influenced the title of my debut novel in my Botanic Hill Detectives Mysteries series.

This is a series about four close friends, two boys and two girls, all thirteen years old, who are out to right wrongs in their neighborhood and
R.D. Kardon
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved everything about this book- the story, the setting and especially the characters. Sherrill Joseph has penned the perfect first novel of a series. The Botanic Hill Detectives are four smart, hard-working young sleuths who slice through this mystery involving a dead Egyptologist and a missing urn. Joseph’s fast-moving prose and sense of humor were delightful!
Margaret Heinemann
Stanley McShane
Nov 06, 2019
When I Grow Up 1 1 Nov 06, 2019 02:41PM

• The Winner's Circle
  • The Devil's Own (Murphy's Law, #1)
  • Shoes on the Stairs
  • My Name Is Rose
  • The Haunting of Elmwood Manor (Pekin Dewlap Mystery, #1)
  • Haskell Himself
  • North America: A Fold-out Graphic History
  • White Bird
  • Willa and the Whale
  • The Gift of Dyslexia: Why Some of the Smartest People Can't Read...and How They Can Learn
  • Keep Forever
  • Oscar and Lucinda
  • Your Words Count: A Writing and Editing Planner to Help You Finish Your Book
  • Words on Fire
  • Trudge: A Midlife Crisis on the John Muir Trail
  • The Secrets of Mary Bowser
  • Forged by Desire (London Steampunk, #4)
  • Kiss of Steel (London Steampunk, #1)
My debut novel, Nutmeg Street: Egyptian Secrets, had been inside my head for decades. The mystery genre took hold of me as a fifth grader when I discovered Nancy Drew and Phyllis A. Whitney mysteries. Years later, it still hasn’t let go.

Graduating Phi Beta Kappa and summa cum laude with a bachelor’s degree in English literature and a master’s in education, I spent the next thirty-five years