Start by marking “Long Story Short: 100 Classic Books in Three Panels” as Want to Read:
Long Story Short: 100 Classic Books in Three Panels

Long Story Short: 100 Classic Books in Three Panels

Literature is long.Comics are short.

Does Proust getyou down?
Do you find The Unbearable Lightness of Being simply unbearable?
IsThe Inferno your own private hell?
Do you long to be conversant about classics likeMoby Dick, the Bhagavad Gita,Madame Bovary, and, um,Twilight?

Illustrator Lisa Brown (The Airport Book; Baby, Mix Me aDrink) did her homework.Long Story Shortoffers
Expected publication: April 7th 2020 by Algonquin Books

To ask other readers questions about Long Story Short, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Long Story Short

Start your review of Long Story Short: 100 Classic Books in Three Panels
Kelly
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it
A cheeky idea with mixed results.

(Full disclosure: I received a free e-ARC for review through Edelweiss.)

Long Story Short: 100 Classic Books in Three Panels is pretty much what it sounds like, with two (admittedly nitpicky) differences: 1) the comics are anywhere from one to six panels; and 2) some of these are not what you (if you are of the snobby literary persuasion) would call "classics."

Yes, there are the usual suspects: Shakespeare and Poe; Don Quixote and Madame Bovary; To Kill a
J Earl
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Long Story Short: 100 Classic Books in Three Panels by Lisa Brown is a fun book for both literature lovers and those who like to poke fun at "literature." I'll explain myself better below.

While there are a few spoilers, in a very loose sense, this shouldn't be much of an issue for a prospective reader. One of the things that make a classic a classic is that many people have either read the book or, because it is so well known, know the story even if they haven't read it. In addition, if you pick
Geoffrey
Dec 21, 2019 rated it liked it
(Note: I received an advanced reader copy of this book courtesy of NetGalley.)

To start off on a trivial note that I admittedly can’t let go of - due to the title, I originally expected that every single book was going to be summed up in only three panels. As a result, I was genuinely excited for all the creative ways Lisa Brown would take every book chosen for the collection and make it fit into this particular format. It wasn’t long however until I saw that the summarizations ranged anywhere
Diane Hernandez
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edelweiss
Extremely short and humorous comic strips of famous book plots fill Long Story Short.

Books from Beowulf to The Hunger Games are sumarized here. The summaries can be direct such as “You can love someone and still be racist.” for The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. But most are also humorous. Pride and Prejudice is in three frames. “I HATE him.” “Whoa! His house is REALLY BIG.” “I LOVE him.” Another example is The Hunger Games in one panel. “It sucks to kill your friends. It sucks more if your
Ije the Devourer of Books
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a highly amusing book with great graphics. Each comic strip summarises a classic or well known novel with funny results. I thought the different comics were very funny and I wished there had been more.

I do think this book was a bit too short. The comic strip part of the book ended at 32% on my kindle. The rest of the book is a helpful index. I was reading an electronic version so I guess the book is actually one of those small books that would look good on a coffee table. (If you like
Pop Bop
Oct 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Some Amusing Bits

According to her bio Lisa Brown draws the "Three Panel Book Review" cartoon for the book section of the San Francisco Chronicle. This volume is a collection of a hundred favorites.

I guess it's true for most collections of this sort - there are some hits and some misses. There are a few especially clever strips and a few that have a bit of an edge. Sort of like Ogden Nash light verse, it looks like it's easier to do than it is.

Anyway, it's a quick and amusing browse, and it might
Bakertyl
Dec 19, 2019 rated it liked it
This book reminded me of another book of summaries, "The Holy Bible: Abridged Beyond the Point of Usefulness" (https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/sho...), where each book of the Bible is summarized in a sentence or two. Maybe a paragraph.

This book takes complex novels and summaries them in a three panel comic. That's it. So simple, but entertaining. I laughed at some, disagreed with others, but liked the premise and execution.

I've read some of the books summarized, but not all... I don't feel
Lucsbooks
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it
If you don’t mind spoilers or don’t intend to ever read most of these books, then this will be really great.

I loved all of the strips but my favorite thing about this book was that it wasn’t just about old books, only mostly about old books and some more recent ones such as The Hunger Games and Twilight.

Thank you to Algonquin Books and Edelweiss+ for this DRC.
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
This was a great quick read! I chuckled at the quick and witty synopsis for the books I've already read, and frankly... the briefs about the ones I haven't read yet got me that much more interested in adding things to my TBR pile. A good read, fun art... Recommended for fans of literary humor.
Jess
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
I don’t know all of the classics featured but the ones I know, were clever and/or humorous. It is just a funny book to read when you have a full 30 minutes or you can read a few panels at a time. I enjoyed it!
Michelle
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
***Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review***

This is a hilarious and accurate look at novels in only three paneled comic strips.
Michelle
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphics-comics
Very fun book of three-panel comics for classic books. Some of these were quite funny, others just fun. Enjoyed this very much!
Thanks to NetGalley for letting me review this!
Jeimy
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is genius! I’m definitely buying a physical copy for my classroom. I was cracking up and sharing them with my wife as I read.
This is a quick and humorous read. It would make a good gift for a book lover. Goodreads rating: 3 stars (I liked it)

I received an ARC from NetGalley. The book will be released on April 7, 2020.
Emma
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a really fun idea and a lot of the comics were great fun. Some fell a little flat, but overall it was a nice collection.

[Free ARC from Edelweiss+]

• Warriors, Witches, Women: Mythology's Fiercest Females
  • Little Weirds
  • Strange Planet
  • Bloodlust & Bonnets
  • I Hunt Killers (I Hunt Killers, #1)
  • How to Embroider Almost Everything: A Sourcebook of 500+ Modern Motifs + Easy Stitch Tutorials—Learn to Draw with Thread!
  • Page by Paige
  • No One Is Too Small to Make a Difference
  • Sounds
  • Quiet Girl in a Noisy World: An Introvert's Story
  • White Bird
  • Cast No Shadow
  • Book Love
LISA BROWN is the bestselling illustrator and/or author of a growing number of books, including How to Be, The Latke Who Couldn’t Stop Screaming, and Baby Mix Me a Drink. She draws the Three Panel Book Review cartoon for the book section of the San Francisco Chronicle. Lisa lives in San Francisco with her son and her husband, who is rumored to be Lemony Snicket.