Start by marking “Reverie” as Want to Read:
Reverie

Reverie

Inception meets The Magicians in the most imaginative YA debut of the year!

All Kane Montgomery knows for certain is that the police found him half-dead in the river. He can’t remember how he got there, what happened after, and why his life seems so different now. And it’s not just Kane who’s different, the world feels off, reality itself seems different.

As Kane pieces
Published December 3rd 2019 by Sourcebooks Fire

To ask other readers questions about Reverie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reverie

Start your review of Reverie
Kai
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: queer, owned, favorites
"Just because something is imagined doesn't mean it isn't dangerous."

tbh all you need to know is that the main character is so gay his superpowers manifest as rainbows.

I did not see that coming. The charisma, uniqueness, nerve, and talent of it all. Reverie is a force of nature and you have no idea what epic kind of fantasy you're wading into. Moreover, it's unapologetically queer and magical as fuck. But the most important thing: this is fantasy at its finest. Imaginative, original, real.

Let's
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: queer
I wanted to love this one SO badly because Ryan is an absolute gem on twitter, but this just did not work for me. I had such a hard time wrapping my brain around the reveries and an even harder time connecting to the characters. Everything just felt disjointed and messy and I am SAD. Brb while I cry myself to sleep bc I didn't love this book like I thought I would

Buddy read with Julie <3

I AM SO READY FOR THIS
Chelsea Humphrey
Aug 28, 2019 marked it as dnf-lost-interest
Recommended to Chelsea by: Sourcebooks
"Inception meets The Magicians, except with better wigs and a maniacal drag queen sorceress attempting to unravel the reality of Connecticut (yes, the state) and replace it with something…well something better than Connecticut.

description

*Many thanks to the publisher for providing my review copy.
Ryan Sala
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Quality, gay drivel! A+ queer nonsense!
Fabian
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
DAMN GURL DAMN!
This book is even gayer than I thought it would be. Like imagine Elton John dragging up as Cher in a rainbow sequin leotrad, singing a rendition of Judy Garlands greatest hits, at the Fire Island pride parade. That kind of gay.

Full review to come...

But lemme just say, y'all have to read this book! It's the queer YA fantasy novel we're all been waiting for.

Cardan Greenbriar
did somebody say "better wigs"
and "queen sorceress "
and "lgbtq"
and do judge a book by its cover?
Amy Imogene Reads
3 confused stars

I feel like I simultaneously understood this novel and completely lost the plot.

Writing:
Plot: 1/2
Pacing:

I wanted so, so badly to love this queer-driven novel that marketed itself as a Inception meets The Magicians. Some of the reviews of Reverie are works of art in their own right, they read like this book is a thrill-ride, a rollercoaster of imagination, and a complex story filled with heart.

I both understand where they are coming from and wish that I had read THAT novel, the
Ivana - Diary of Difference
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

I wanted to love Reverie by Ryan La Sala so much!

Reverie has a wonderful cover that draws you in immediately. The plot mentions a boy and a fantasy world that revolves around dreams. Everything I hoped this book would be – it wasn’t.

Kane is a gay teenager who is trying to pick up the pieces of his life back together after an attack leaves him with no memories of the past. He is in the search of who he is and who he was, and he discovers an
Umairah | Sereadipity
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was the embodiment of a rainbow

Plot: 4/5
Characters: 4/5
Writing: 4.5/5

Reverie was one of the most imaginative, chaotic and unique novels I've ever read. It was a wild, wild roller coaster ride of a book but also one that I feel will resonate with many readers and I enjoyed it very much.

"We are all people between worlds."

The protagonist was Kane Montgomery, a boy who woke up half-dead in a river nearby a burnt down mill with no memory of how it happened or most of his life before.

Isabella
Nov 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, arcs
to sum it all up: drag queens, dreams, magic and gays
Dennis
This may have been the most campy and ridiculous story I've ever read (in the best way possible), but I loved Ryan La Sala's debut fantasy novel, Reverie ! It was such an original story that gave me Inception and X-Men vibes and I was immediately put in a trance by the story. Reverie will be released December 3, 2019—thank you Sourcebooks Fire for my review copy in exchange for an honest review.

This young adult novel focuses on high school teenager Kane Montgomery and how he maneuvers
Bee
Whew, this was very very gay. It's like a magical drag queen vomited rainbows and cupcakes all over this book. And you know what? It was absolutely fantastic. Reverie has been one of my most anticipated reads ever since I first heard about it and it did not disappoint. It was beautiful and magical and not like anything I've read so far.

I really felt for Kane as he tried to put his life back together after a strange accident. He's lost a lot of memories and everything feels strange. I was right
Tucker
Jun 06, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
Shelves: reviewed
Love the synopsis

but

the cover is crooked af
Acqua
Reverie is a story about the importance that dreams and fantasy have in people's lives, and how balancing them with reality is just as necessary. It's a story that gets on a deep level why the idea of escaping to a kinder world is so tempting to queer teenagers, but one that is also about learning to not run away from reality.

I think it's important to state that a significant part of my problems with this book come from me wanting it to be something different than what it was. At first, I
Lost in a Book
May 25, 2018 marked it as to-read
I’m unable to resist this descriptor...

Drag. Queen. Sorceress.

Yasssss. *grabby hands*
Lance
"He thought of the gloomy, covert life so many queer people were forced to live as they found another one in time and a world that could not adjust to them. He thought of secret meetings and secret names, and the secret sadness that grew like mold in the humidity of a life kept closed."

"The reverie was not just dreams and whimsy, like Kane had thought. It was a person's psychology, rendered in vivid fantasy."

ARC obtained at the Sourcebooks Booth at Bookcon 2019.

4.5 Stars rounded up, but
↠ dan ↞
May 18, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: can-t-wait-2020
inception meets the magicians WHEN I TELL YOU I SCREAMED-

oh my god this book comes out IN MY BIRTHDAY I'M
Silvia
I was sent this book as an advance copy by the publisher via NetGalley for reviewing purposes, but all opinions are my own.

DNF @ 60%, no rating

I don't think I can get through the rest, the book isn't bad but it's my fault for not reading it for two months and now that I picked it up again I'm not invested anymore. But I can also say it's definitely not the type of book I enjoy so maybe there was a reason for me to not want to continue it all these months. There was also a comment that didn't
sandeep
Jun 07, 2019 marked it as 2020-release
Shelves: arcs

Thank you, NetGalley and SourceBooks Fire, for sending me an advance reader copy in exchange for an honest review! :)
Anja H.
Jun 06, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
"Maniacal drag queen sorceress"???
Oh boy count me in.
Rec-It Rachel
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-releases
HELL FREAKING YEAH
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
Thanks to Netgalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review!

DNF at 32%

Honestly, I just couldn't get into the book. The world never captured me and I found it pretty confusing. I loved the writing and the characters interested me, but I was too confused to keep going. I'll definitely try another book by this author, but this one wasn't for me.
Amybibliophile
I really wanted to love this book but it didn't click for me. It felt like bits were missing so that I'd be reading along and think to myself, 'hold up, how did we get to this?'.
It also took me a very long time to get through, and although some of those reasons were personal and nothing to do with the book, the story just didn't hold my attention enough to make me want to jump back into this world.
Some of the issues were that I don't actually understand a Reverie. I know they are a dream-like
Julie Zantopoulos
This was a fast and imaginative debut fantasy novel! It read a lot like a mix of The Raven Cycle & Wayward Children series. It's got portals to dream worlds (reveries) and a group of kids who can help unravel them before they get out of control (the Others). It's full of queer teens, an eccentric drag queen villain, and lots of adorable romances (that are not the focal point but do add to the story).

It's a story about finding yourself in others and how that can be a great thing but also
The Nerd Daily
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Tasha Leigh

Okay, Reverie was frankly my most anticipated novel of this year except for maybe Darkdawn by the King of Stab himself, Jay Kristoff. But that’s neither here nor there. Reverie starts off with Kane, a gay teenager, and his sister Sophia attending a crime scene because Kane lost his memory after stealing and crashing his father’s car into a building and then a creek. Sibling sarcasm ensues and everyone annunciates with jazz hands,
Taylor Brooke
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I read an early draft of this book and it blew my mind. Riveting, gorgeous prose. Relatable, complex characters. Vivid imagery. So, so lush.

Everything an urban fantasy should be. I can't wait to get my hands on the final version!
Cody Roecker
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The most perfect, queer, original, mindfuck of a book. Watch dreams become nightmares, nightmares become dreams, and everything in between in this truly phantasmagoric debut that plays with reality throughout every page. Unforgettable and not one to miss.
Cassie
Aug 19, 2019 marked it as to-read
NETGALLEY CAME THROUGH WITH ALL THE BLESSINGS AND PROVIDED ME WITH AN ARC,,, THANK YOU ...more
Carrie (The Butterfly Reader)
I've not read a debut this good in such a long time!

Reverie follows Kane Montgomery after a car accident left him with amnesia. He's just trying to get his life back together and get through high school but he starts to notice that something just isn't right...

I won't lie this is one of the gayest novels that I've ever read and it was pretty dang magical. The world is rich and reminds me of a rainbow but only with words. The characters are well developed and the idea for this novel... I love
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Weight of a Soul
  • The Gravity of Us
  • Infinity Son (Infinity Cycle, #1)
  • Eight Will Fall
  • The Light at the Bottom of the World (Light the Abyss, #1)
  • How to Be Remy Cameron
  • Tweet Cute
  • Resurrection Girls
  • Coral
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
  • Beyond the Black Door
  • Tarnished Are the Stars
  • Only Mostly Devastated
  • She's the Worst
  • The Good Luck Girls (The Good Luck Girls, #1)
  • The Silvered Serpents (The Gilded Wolves, #2)
  • Diamond City (Diamond City, #1)