Start by marking “The Wreckage” as Want to Read:
The Wreckage

The Wreckage

One fatal crash. Two colliding worlds. Three wrecked lives.

School teacher Ben is driving on the motorway, on his usual commute to work.

A day like any other…

Except for one man who, in a final despairing act, jumps in front of Ben’s car, turning the teacher’s world upside down in a single horrifying instant…

Wracked with guilt and desperate to clear his conscience, he
Published 2020 by Orion

To ask other readers questions about The Wreckage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wreckage

Start your review of The Wreckage
C.L. Taylor
The Wreckage is an immersive, compulsive and gripping tale about what happens when three broken people's lives collide in the most tragic of ways. It's a book about control and obsession but the author cleverly veers away from cliche and melodrama - there are no cardboard cutout villains and heroes here - because, in Ben and Alice, he has created characters that are well rounded, nuanced, flawed and real. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Pauline
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Ben is driving to work on the motorway one morning when a man steps out in front of his car. This incident turns Ben's life upside down.
The man he knocked down is called Adam and after visiting him hospital to see how he is, Ben befriends Adam's wife Alice.
I could not engage with the main characters in this story. Ben was immature and annoying. Alice was mean and foul mouthed and this affected my enjoyment of the book.
Thank you to NetGalley and Orion Publishing Group for my e-copy in exchange
Caroline Mitchell
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psych-thriller
When I first read the blurb of this book, I was immediately drawn in. A tragic event draws shattered lives closer together. What could be more intriguing than that? The Wreckage did not disappoint. The author draws you deep into their lives as you see the story from each perspective. These are living breathing characters, and I could easily envision this as a television drama in my mind. As the book progresses, it takes you down some dark pathways as further revelations are made. A thoroughly ...more
Liz Barnsley
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another Theakstons crime read complete, The Wreckage is another one to look out for next year- an emotional story of dangerous love and obsession.

A fast and involving read. As ever full review to follow for publication.
Nicole
Jan 01, 2020 rated it liked it
This was an interesting thriller, that had a promising start but then went down hill

In this book you follow Adam, a troubled man who has had a history of serious mental health problems. He decides to take his own life by stepping out in front a car. Ben, the unfortunate man to run into him, is traumatised by the event and decides to insert himself into Adam's widow and son's life. Is this an act of support or are his intentions more sinister?

I thought this book started of really well. Its
Phil Connolly
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An utterly addictive page turner. The story gets under your skin in all the best ways. A fabulous debut novel; well-observed, razor-sharp, and wonderfully disturbing.
Michelle Laterman Wachsmann
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written and gripping story! Really makes you feel what the characters are feeling. Could not put the book down!
Elise
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, 2020
There are many crime thriller novels out there and it can be hard to know which are worth reading. The Wreckage is definitely on the must-read list! This is a stunning debut novel from a very talented author who, I'm sure, has many great things ahead of him.

The Wreckage touches on many important themes, including mental health, which is something that really stood out. Robin's characters are relatable, the storyline addictive and the writing gripping. I was totally addicted to this book; I read
Adam Jacobs
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Wreckage is a real page turner; I was gripped from the first paragraph. The book explores important issues around male mental health and whilst the protagonist, Ben, is a deeply flawed character, he was one I found myself sympathising with, despite myself. Robin Morgan-Bentley is clearly a young author worth keeping an eye on.
Lynn
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a great debut novel showing the consequences of how one tragic event impacts on different lives. Very short easy chapters. A great read
Ellen
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Review to follow over at Bibliophilebookclub.com on the 3rd of February
Esther Bentley
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An amazingly gripping debut by a clearly talented young writer, with a clever unexpected twist at the end. The meandering characterisation of the three interlocked protagonists was unnerving and often unsettling. A real unique insight into male mental health issues, not often covered in modern literature. Can’t wait for the next book by this exciting new author.
Linda Wachsmann
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The wreckage keeps you gripped from the beginning to the end with a twist in the tail, very well written, I’m looking forward to reading more from this author
The Coycaterpillar Reads
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Wreckage– it’s clear from the offset the tone this story is going to take. A car wreck. Speeding towards an end goal that destroys lives. Whiplash that leaves you feeling pained and distraught. It’s a real play on the title and the deeper meaning behind it ispoetic brilliance.This book hits you in the feels like a ten-tonne truck to the chest. You need to escape from the wrecked car, you’re injured, your disorientated and you have to drag yourself to safety. It’s pitch black and your senses ...more
Marnie | Once Upon a Time Book Blog
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
Robin has created a plot that is straight out of your worst nightmare! Told via alternating chapters from the perspective of the two main protagonists Alice and Ben, we are taken on a journey into how the actions of Alice’s husband Adam, changes their lives forever. As I like to say in some of my reviews, less is more when discussing the plot, as I think the blurb gives the reader enough without going into any further detail. This is definitely the case for The Wreckage.

The characters in this
Jacob Collins
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robin Morgan-Bentley hits the ground running in his debut thriller, The Wreckage. We are thrown headfirst into a devastating scene as a man launches himself in front of a car on a motorway. A police investigation quickly proves that the man committed suicide, leaving his devastated family and the traumatised man who hit him behind. Robin Morgan-Bentley examines just how much trauma such an event can inflict on a person. And he does this very well with his character, Ben.

The Wreckage is an
Kath
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars.
Talk about sting in the tail...! Actually, I can't talk about it. Spoilers! But, no way, I thought we'd probably go there but I didn't expect THAT! Oh MY!
So Ben is driving to the school he teaches at when a man jumps in front of his car. Wracked with guilt and blaming himself, he finds out the name of the man (Adam) and also that he is not dead. Instead, in hospital, in a coma. So he does what we all would do in this position (not) - he goes to visit him. And there he meets Adam's wife
Jacqueline  sharp
Dec 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ben is a teacher, he is a man who sticks to a regular routine, leaving home at the same time every morning to go to work, 9th January he leaves at his usual time, travels along the M1 in the slow lane, not speeding, torrential rain, when something white appears from nowhere, he slams his breaks on, gets out of his car, to see a man lying in the road in front of his car, Ben is a wreck. Within a few minutes the police arrive, he sits in the car, sobbing, hears the officer answer a call and hears ...more
Susan Hampson
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: author-reads
Ben is on his way to work one morning when a man runs out in front of his car. Ben isn't a fast driver but I am talking motorway here. Ben is devastated but gets a glimmer of hope when he hears that the man, Adam, is in hospital.
Ben has to see for himself but he learns from Adam's wife that it doesn't look good for a recovery. Alice and Adam form a friendship and he begins to slowly get to know Adam and Alice's seven-year-old son Max. When Adam's life support is turned off Ben makes a decision
Misfits farm
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ben is having a nightmare only he isn’t asleep. He was on the motorway on the way to his school teaching position and a man ran out in front of him.He learned from visiting him in hospital that he had left a note “ Tell Maxy I’m sorry” which relieves some of his guilt. He meets Alice who is Adam’s wife and they develop a relationship. Ben is desperate to make amends and is an anxious nervous sort of guy with little life experience despite his years, naive perhaps. I liked Ben and felt that he ...more
Elaine's Reviews
Dec 28, 2019 rated it liked it
An easy and quick read, The Wreakage tells the story of Ben driving to work one morning when a man steps out in front of his car on the motorway. Still alive but fatally injured, Adam is on life support. Ben's guilt leads him to make contact with Adam's wife and try to befriend her and her young son to a point where he becomes obsessed with them.

This book was only ok for me. I didn't love the characters and found Ben immature and Alice to be hard and withdrawn. I didn't connect with either
Miss S
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Wreckage is a psychological thriller centered around Ben, who when driving to work one day hits and critically injures Adam. Unable to deal with his guilt whilst awaiting Adams fate he speaks to Alice, Adams wife, and begins to form a close bond with her.
This story explores a number of key themes, from obsession and mental illness to the fine line between good and evil and the many layers and complexities of human relationships.
The very first scene of the book was incredibly powerful and
Jamie Garwood
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very good debut novel by someone who clearly has read a lot and listened to how books develop in their plot points and narrative thrust; the characterisation of both the male and female perspectives are done well making you sympathise with both parties while someone else is pulling the strings.

Recommended ahead of its official February release, and look forward to the next novel by the author
Sally Boocock
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
An extremely clever debut novel which grips the reader from page one. When Ben knocks over a man on his way to work it changes the life for three people forever. Covering obsessive behaviour and mental health issues it is a fascinating insight into the protagonists lives. I was hooked and the ending was a complete surprise. I look forward to reading more of Robin's books.
Cheryl
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank the author, the publisher and NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read an ARC of this book. It was well written but I didn’t really connect with the characters as I didn’t find them particularly likeable. I did like the way the book had a few unexpected twists and I certainly didn’t know how it would end.
Ciaran McLarnon
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is totally and unexpectedly brilliant!! I had never heard of Robin Morgan-Bentley before, so I was not expecting too much but I was hooked once I started reading this!

The story is jointly narrated (with a twist) by the Ben who was just involved in a serious road traffic accident and Alice who is the wife of the victim seriously injured in the accident. As the story unravels, it soon becomes clear that this was a suicide attempt due to the deep depression of the victim. Ben however
Laura Stevenson
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This book really was a page turner. I was immediately gripped.

Alice and Ben find their world's colliding when Alice's husband, Adam, throws himself in front of Ben's car in an attempt to kill himself. Ben, a school teacher, finds it impossible to live with himself and feels that he is ultimately to blame despite Adam's intentions and Alice on the otherhand finds it difficult to carry on as normal with her son Max. As Ben starts to integrate himself into Alice and Max's life things start to
Carol Drinkwater
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a brilliantly addictive books this is, very compelling and full of twists and turns, extremely well written and I was on the edge of my seat throughout. All the characters were believable and had their own story to tell which made this an intriguing fantastic debut book.

The twist at the end was brilliant and not what I was expecting, well done Robin I look forward to your next masterpiece.

Thank you to Netgalley and Orion Publishers (Trapeze) for giving me the opportunity to read this
Janet
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you to NetGalley and Trapeze for my early copy of this book.

Alice wakes up one morning to find her husband is already up. Nothing unusual in that until she finds an envelope with ‘Tell Maxy I’m sorry’ written on the front. She goes into a panic, leaves her 7 year old son Max with the next door neighbour and heads out to look for him.

It is raining heavily and Ben is struggling to see the road in front of him. Then he sees a white flash and something hits his windscreen.

Alice and Ben’s
Caron
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book and following the journey of Alice and Ben. I liked the aspect of reading the story from both points of view and enjoyed the twists and turns. Great debut novel.

• Three Hours
  • Firewatching
  • The Memory Wood
  • The Mothers: Five women. Five secrets. One missing husband.
  • She
  • Who Did You Tell?
  • I Dare You
  • The 24-Hour Café
  • The Silent House
  • Six Wicked Reasons
  • Little White Lies
  • Snowball
  • Hold Your Tongue (DI Eve Hunter, #1)
  • Mr. Nobody
  • Gone
  • Perfect Kill (D.I. Callanach, #6)
  • The Other People