Start by marking “The Dead Horse Paint Company (Mac Fontana, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Dead Horse Paint Company (Mac Fontana, #5)

The Dead Horse Paint Company (Mac Fontana #5)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  203 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
The fire at the Dead Horse Paint Company, a huge barn of a store, was a nightmare come true. Lives lost, lives wrecked, Staircase Fire Chief Mac Fontana himself a witness to the carnage. But it wasn't only the fire that raged out of control, it was also the team of firefighters - who committed a series of grave missteps and ended up having to cover their tracks. Now, years ...more
Published December 31st 1996 by Avon Books (first published June 12th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Dead Horse Paint Company, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dead Horse Paint Company

Jeff Dickison
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good Mac Fontana mystery. The man responsible for much of the disaster of the Dead Horse Paint Company fire visits Seattle and is promptly murdered (torched) in the woods near Mac's small town. He helps solve the mystery while dealing with old friends (best buddy and his psycho daughter), new friends (actress), and author who wrote the true story of the Dead Horse fire. Good characters, well written, captures the essence of a small town. Recommended.
Melodie
Jul 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-pre-2003
The best mystery dealing with arson that I have ever read. Recommended reading for any mystery lover!
T
Jun 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Been a long time since I've read an Earl Emerson, but I do enjoy them and not just because he's a local writer from the PNW....He has a couple of series, this one is Mac Fontana, fire chief in a little town in Washington, healing from a fire disaster when a lot of firemen were killed in a poorly executed fire and the loss of his wife.

There's fire and blood and mayhem and death and a dog, a couple of crazies....a convention in Seattle where the two top sessions is the fire chief who mishandled th
Ed
Mar 28, 2015 rated it liked it
#5 in the Mac Fontana series. Mac Fontana left an Eastern city fire department after 18 years and is content to be chief of the fire department in Staircase, a hamlet east of Seattle.

Mac Fontana discovers the body of Chief Callahan from his old fire department back east in the trunk of a burning car. Callahan had been scheduled to speak at a conference in Seattle about the deadly fire at the Dead Horse Paint Company. Fontana agrees with those who thought Callahan mismanaged the fire and left man
LJ
THE DEAD HORSE PAINT COMPANY - G
Emerson, Earl - 5th Mac Fontana

Three years after surviving a lethal conflagration at a Detroit paint company, Mac Fontana, now a fire chief in Washington state, finds himself a murder suspect when the fire chief at the time becomes the victim of arson.

I like this series but am frustrated with it. I feel that Mac hasn't grown as a character and I'd really like there to be more suspense. I may quit this series.
aPriL does feral sometimes
Until I read this, it never struck me before but I guess I kinda thought I was the only one surrounded by crazy people. A lot of writers must notice this too, particularly mystery writers. If you do the math, can anyone be sane?
Steve
Dec 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Thomas Black mystery - just catching up on my reading list.
Wanda
Sep 21, 2012 rated it liked it
A bit difficult for me to read because I believe the fire mentioned was based on an actual fire which I have heard the recordings of. It was disturbing. Enjoyed the rest of the book.
Tami
Jul 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Emerson is a great writer who creates great characters. I wish there were more Mac Fontana books.
Joe O'Connor
Aug 28, 2009 rated it it was ok
Good; Continuing character: Mac Fontana; small town fire chief investigates death tied to fire that killed 9 firemen back when he was a big city investigator.
Toesnorth's mom
Dec 05, 2012 added it
Shelves: mom-s
falls into bed with everyone, etc., etc.
Pat
Ann
Jan 21, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Chain of Evidence
  • The Bum's Rush (Leo Waterman, #3)
  • The Corpse At The Haworth Tandoori (Charlie Peace, #6)
  • Taboo
  • Gone Tomorrow (Bill Slider, #9)
  • Till the Cows Come Home (Stella Crown Mystery, #1)
  • Man's Rise to Civilization: The Cultural Ascent of the Indians of North America
  • The Healers (Inspector Ramsay, #5)
  • A Minister's Ghost (Fever Devilin, #3)
  • Inadmissable Evidence
  • Behind That Curtain (Charlie Chan, #3)
  • Something in the Water (Peter Shandy, #9)
  • Uneasy Relations (Gideon Oliver, #15)
  • The Treble Wore Trouble
  • Dead Creek
Earl Emerson is a lieutenant in the Seattle Fire Department. He is the Shamus Award-winning author of Vertical Burn, as well as the Thomas Black detective series. He lives in North Bend, Washington.
More about Earl Emerson

Mac Fontana (5 books)
  • Black Hearts and Slow Dancing (Mac Fontana, #1)
  • Help Wanted: Orphans Preferred (Mac Fontana, #2)
  • Morons and Madmen (Mac Fontana, #3)
  • Going Crazy In Public (Mac Fontana, #4)