Start by marking “The Mail-Order Bride Standoff: 4 Grooms Are Stymied When Brides Get Cold Feet” as Want to Read:
The Mail-Order Bride Standoff: 4 Grooms Are Stymied When Brides Get Cold Feet

The Mail-Order Bride Standoff: 4 Grooms Are Stymied When Brides Get Cold Feet

4 Mail-Order Brides Get Cold Feet

Marriage plans are put on hold in the Old West when four mail-order brides have second thoughts. How will their grooms win their trust?

Right on Time by Angela Breidenbach
Could two people be less suited than an English gentleman and a western gal who is used to giving the orders? From the wild Montana Territory to the refined Kentucky
Published February 1st 2020 by Barbour Books

To ask other readers questions about The Mail-Order Bride Standoff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mail-Order Bride Standoff

Start your review of The Mail-Order Bride Standoff: 4 Grooms Are Stymied When Brides Get Cold Feet
Leslie M.
Jan 28, 2020 rated it liked it

I love these novella collections, particularly as they almost always introduce me to new-to-me authors, which was the case with this book. I’ve never read anything by any of these authors, but I look forward to seeing more from them in the future. I enjoy marriage-of-convenience stories so I was excited to read this collection.

“Right on Time” by Breidenbach was a bit slow to engage, but it picked up partway through. (3 stars)

“Pistol Packin’ Bride” had me laughing through most of the
Sandra
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a different and fun twist to a mail-order bride series of novellas. Written by four amazing authors,who already were some of my favorites. You will laugh and you may cry, but you will definitely be entertained. Each story will grab you an keep you reading well into the night. Right on Time by Angela Breidenbaugh tells a story of two completely opposite people finding their way to each other. A well meaning dad arranges a mail order groom for his daughter. Pistol-Packing Bride by Margaret ...more
A. Harrison
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really thought I marked this read...
Each of these novellas are sweet, with spunky women, strong male leads, and humorous plots you'll be swept into a romantic story that closes happily. My favorite of the stories is Pistol-Packin' Bride with Ben's three sets of parents, two gunshots, and the attempted kidnapping. This is a one of a kind story that pulls you right in. Each of these historical stories are a need to read for romance, western, and comedy lovers.
Rating: 4 stars.
Recommendation: 16
Faith
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Mail Order Stand-off

“Right on Time” has a cast of characters that are characters. Imagine a Lord of the Manor going West, accepting a position as Ranch Foreman and learning to “cowboy”!

This story is quite unique and I enjoyed it immensely. It was funny, serious, and true to the western theme. It also had its unkind moments but the faith of those who felt the lash of unkindness chose forgiveness.

“Pistol Packin’ Bride” has a mail order bride accidentally shooting her intended. Hauled up
Jennifer Purcell
Jan 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Since I have a soft spot for marriage of convenience stories, mail-order bride stories are some of my favorite. So I was a little excited to get the chance to check out this collection.

Right on Time by Angela Breidenbach
Right on Time was hilarious. Timothy gets quite the surprise when he shows up to marry Tara and work her ranch. I enjoyed their interactions, especially the banter over his formal clothing, English saddle, and preconceived notions.

I appreciated the author spacing out the
Cathy Morgan
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a good collection of novellas, though overall I tend to prefer longer books (and would like to see these expanded to novel-length to get more). I don't read many mail-order bride stories (though I like the concept) because I started to feel like they all felt much the same. No such problem applies here! They're four unique stories, each well worth a read. All were clean and well written, and brief descriptions and comments of each are as follows:

1. Eager to escape from his parents'
Doreen
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
I’ve always been interested in mail-order brides. It’s a little like the online dating of today but with greater risks, I feel. I can’t imagine the nerves when going to meet your intended. This is a group of four such novellas.

In “Right on Time,” it’s actually a mail-order groom going across country. When he gets to his destination he finds that things aren’t as settled as he was led to believe. It’s a classic tale of city boy meets country girl. I appreciated that Tim could see the strengths in
Ebos Aifuobhokhan
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Right On Time by Angela Breidenbach

My first time reading anything from this author and it was wonderful.
I love the humor, the plot and author's writing style.
I loved reading about the fearlessness and strength of the Tara character and how Timothy accepted her for who she is and loved her same. I admired how he proved himself to be a worthy foreman for her ranch. Their story was beautiful capturing some historical events in them made it all the more enjoyable.

Pistol Packing Bride by Margret
Becky
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Barbour Publishers have put together four novellas that show that Mail Order Spouses don't always work out as anticipated. These standoffs are instigated by family members, or friends, or the mail-ordered spouses themselves.

One of them was a bride who turned down the proposal, only to find out she is the beneficiary of his estate. She has to go to Fort Worth to spend a month on his ranch to fulfill the conditions of the will. The groom, who died of cancer, still had a cousin who was living and
Lisa J
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The wonderful book turned out to be a collection of 4 different novellas written by 4 different authors, and taking place in the same location. Characters did not cross over between the stories (although this would have been a nice addition if they had). The 4 stories were fully stand-alone stories. I was impressed by the fact that all 4 authors were equally paired with one another for this collection. Their writing styles were very much alike, and they did a wonderful job in building a depth ...more
Anne
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Mail- Order Standoff
By Angela Breidenbach, Margaret Brownley, Susan Page Davis, Vickie McDonough
I found this collection to be sweet, charming, and sassy when called for. Each story was well written and easy to read. I enjoyed all the stories shared which can be challenging when there are multiple authors. This collection hit the spot.
Here are some quotes and words of wisdom I enjoyed while reading:
“Don’t stare at the overwhelming. That’ll get you stuck faster than two bucks locking antlers
Kerri
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a great book with four very different stories. The first story, Right On Time, was a great story, but I felt it didn't have enough time to develop. It was a story about overcoming prejudices, first impressions and fear. Pistol-Packin' Bride pulled me in from the beginning. This story was full of twists that I didn't expect. The Bride Who Declined was another unexpected surprise. I still wonder at the gentleman leaving the ranch to his almost-fiance. It had some action and suspense that ...more
Continent78yahoo.Com
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Join in the fun of reading four mail order bride tales.
A titled Englishman, escapes the duties and expectations of his title to try working as a cowboy in the American west, bringing with him his veterinarian and horse breeding training. His intended bride doesn't know to expect him. A future father-in-law has been writing the letters of correspondence.
Meet the trigger happy bride and a set up groom who claims three mas and three pas. This is my personal favorite!
A Texas ranch is left to a
Karen R
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable collection of mail order matches that go awry, set in 1880's Texas. A good variety of plots, including a mail order groom, some told with humor and a bit of action.
Learning to be a rancher from scratch posed a challenge in some stories. Loved the humor in Margaret Brownley's marriage mishap tale. Ben was sure a patient guy. The Bostonite seamstress and Texas rancher in the third story was my favorite couple though. A tender romance brews as he kindly helps her learn a whole new set
Ann
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love this type of book! You get four very well written novellas that are full of drama, excitement and romance. The stories are the perfect length for when you don't have time for a full length novel. Each story is different, but they are all so good! If you like historical romances that will make you laugh, cry and cheer, grab this book! Thank you Barbour Publishing via NetGalley for the ARC copy of this wonderful book! All opinions expressed are my own. This book deserves more than 5 stars!
Tina
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful compilation of four short stories about mail order brides that take a chance and go west to marry men they don't know. They are each lovely stories of leaving old lives behind and moving across the country not knowing what awaits them in a rough and wild territory. I thoroughly enjoyed each story. There is no profanity and nothing inappropriate making it suitable for any age.
I enjoyed these stories very much and highly recommend this collection.
Amy
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Mail Order Bride Standoff: Four Grooms Are Stymied When Brides Get Cold Feet is a collection of four novellas. Which include:
Pistol Packin’ Bride by Margaret Brownley
The Bride Who Declined by Susan Page Davis
Twice the Trouble by Vickie McDonough
Readers will love this collection I love every one of these authors and these stories did not disappoint. Great book!
Four and a half stars.
Paula
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Mail Order Standoff is an entertaining collection of stories involving mail order brides, or in one case, a mail order husband. Great stories, but they were really too short. At the end of each one I found myself disappointed that it ended. I wanted more! Each story was excellently written, and fun to read. I really enjoyed it!
Emily Yager
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 novellas by 4 fantastic authors. For these Mail-Order Brides things don't go as planned and things get interesting. Each of the stories are fun, sweet, and have a bit of sass. Make for an entertaining read for those who enjoy these kind of stories.
Joyce
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A good collection of stories of mail order brides/groom.
Short easy reading stories packed with romance and adventure by some of our favorite Christian authors.
Thankyou Netgalley for this ARC
Harim (The Reader Blog)
Mixed feelings about this one.
Not gonna lie, it's an enjoyable read but gets rather tedious. All in all,it's a decent read. The trope is really good.
JoAnn
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A great collection of historical novellas. Each is well written and entertaining. I received an arc from the publisher and this is my unbiased review.
Andrea Byers
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Right on Time by Angela Breidenbach
Timothy Higgenbottom wants out of the ridiculous rules of society and has made plans to travel to Montana and become a ranch foreman, unbeknownst to his mother. Tara and her Pa are both in dire need of a ranch foreman and she just hopes he sticks around and doesn’t run to the mines. Misperceptions, learning the ropes and getting used to the way of the west make for a page turning story. Tara, Timothy, along with Pa (Robert) and Cookie, are the primary
Susan F
Cara
Dec 01, 2019
Elizabeth
Dec 03, 2019

• The Blizzard Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #11)
  • The Thief of Lanwyn Manor (Cornwall, #2)
  • On Wings of Devotion (The Codebreakers, #2)
  • The Land Beneath Us (Sunrise at Normandy, #3)
  • The Chisholm Trail Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #12)
  • A Girl’s Guide to the Outback
  • The Way of the Brave (Global Search and Rescue, #1)
  • The Fifth Avenue Story Society
  • Homefront Heroines: 4 Young Women Dream of Victory and Love During WWII
  • An Uncommon Woman
  • The Innkeeper's Bride (Amish Brides of Birch Creek #3)
  • The Rebel Bride (Daughter of the Mayflower, #10)
  • The Brightest of Dreams (Canadian Crossings, #3)
  • The Blue Cloak
  • Lake Season (Bluebell Inn Romance, #1)
  • Hannah's Courage (Amish Charm Bakery #3)
  • The Bridge to Belle Island
  • The House at the End of the Moor
Angela Breidenbach is the host of Lit Up! on Toginet.com. She's a Montana author of romance through the ages in historical and contemporary fiction. Other works by Angela include Gems of Wisdom: The treasure of experience, compilation books and devotionals from David C. Cook (The Quiet Hour), Guidepost, Group, and articles in magazines, e-zines, greeting cards, and newspapers. She's the Christian ...more