Start by marking “You Are What You Do: And Six Other Lies about Work, Life, and Love” as Want to Read:
You Are What You Do: And Six Other Lies about Work, Life, and Love

You Are What You Do: And Six Other Lies about Work, Life, and Love

Things have changed. Have you seen it?

The way that we’ve done things for centuries has been unsettled and unseated. We’re living in a new normal. And while on the surface many of these changes look like the next best thing, there’s actually a complex and fragile web of lies holding it all together:
You are what you do
You are what you experience
You are who you know
You are
Published February 4th 2020 by B Books

To ask other readers questions about You Are What You Do, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Are What You Do

Start your review of You Are What You Do: And Six Other Lies about Work, Life, and Love
Aaron Lee
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Before I get my review started, I must clarify that the full title of this book is You Are What You Do: And Six Other Lies About Work, Life, & Love. It was written by Daniel Im, a speaker, teacher, consultant, and coach. I am most familiar with his 5 Leadership Questions podcast, a part of the Lifeway Leadership Podcast Network.

The Gig Economy

The purpose of this book is to expose six lies that are particular to those espoused by the Gig Economy. The Gig Economy is a relatively new term that
Stresa Callaway
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Daniel Im's latest book, You Are What You Do, shines a light on seven lies that have become deeply embedded into our culture. It surprised me to realize the extent to which these lies influence my daily living and hijack my thought process and decision-making.
The seven lies are:
You are what you do.
You are what you experience.
You are who you know.
You are what you know.
You are what you own.
You are who you raise.
You are your past.
Daniel lays out each lie and how it permeates our daily lives
Darien Gabriel
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“You Are What You Do: And Six Other Lies About Work, Life, & Love” is an engaging look at a serious question we all ask: Who Am I?

Daniel Im tackles this question by addressing 7 lies we all are tempted to believe. Im tackles these seven lies one chapter at a time using logic, trivia, quotes, biblical scripture, interesting stories and personal anecdotes. And he has some good ones. He is not afraid to share some unflattering details either.

I jumped at the chance to review a pre-release copy
Bethany
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
“What do you do?” How many times in our lives have we been asked that question, or asked it of someone else. When we were children, we were asked what we wanted to do when we grow up. We often see what we do, know, experience, and own as the definition of who we are, but as Daniel Im stresses in his book You Are What You Do: And Six Other Lies About Work, Life, & Love, that could not be further from the truth.

Through research and personal stories, Im breaks down seven lies that we often tell
WTSreads -
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Are our identities earned, or are they received?
~
In You Are What You Do, Daniel Im does a fantastic job identifying the specific ways that the world tells us we find our identity, and he displays how each one of them will always come up short and leave us tired, hungry, jealous and desperate. He tackles the entire spectrum of challenges that people living in the world today face, ranging from the gig economy and people desperate to make it big on their side hustle to the strange (to me) world of
David Jackson
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Daniel Im has hit the nail on the head with You Are What You Do! He has astutely recognized seven lies our society tells us about our identity and worth, and addressed them with Scripture, logic, and experience. He delves deeply into current societal trends to define one's worth by what we do, what we experience, who we know, what we know, what we own, and by our children or our past. All of these are deluded deceptions that leave us empty, unsatisfied, and wanting more. They feed isolation ...more
Karl Dumas
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
We all listen to the urban legends and treat them as gospel. Some things have become such common knowledge in our culture, that to doubt them could be considered heresy. Unfortunately not everything we read about or hear about is true. Some things are ‘close but not quite’, and other things are downright lies. But if we hear something often enough it takes on the veil of truth.
These lies spill over into all aspects of our life. And some of them are more believable than others. Daniel Im has
Drake De Long-Farmer
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book isn't one of those quick self-help books that are full of good ideas but no practical help. It is quite the opposite. Not only does Daniel diagnose many of the issues faced in the rat race of life, but he brings real-life remedies that can be implemented towards a shift to self-awareness and long-term health. He isn't scared to get real and vulnerable about his own story, either--showing that the ideas he is presenting are not merely theories but realities he has lived himself.

When I
Joe Tassell
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Daniel jumps right in with this book talking about the gig economy. So, I immediately began to feel stressed out as I read. I am the sort of person who likes to be focused on one thing at a time. The whole concept of the gig economy just creates anxiety in me. However, I was pleased to find that, as I traveled through this book, Daniel was not presenting a how-to on surviving in a gig economy world. Instead, he systematically dismantles, not only the lie of finding worth in what you do, he digs ...more
James White
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Though I have participated in the gig economy in multiple ways, directly and indirectly, I had never approached this topic in the same way in which Daniel is expanding throughout this book. He writes in a conversational style that is extremely easy to read and follow his thoughts throughout the book. Though this is the case, he does an amazing job exploring these topics and lies in such an informative way.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone. Though this is the case, I do believe that
Melody Wilson
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book - it was an easy read, nothing that makes you have to read and reread to understand. However, that being said, its a great book to re read to really sink in the message that is so important for everyone to hear in the world that we live in. He clearly addresses messages that are in our world that sometimes we aren't even aware that we are agreeing with or promoting. This is a thought provoking book that I will definitely be keeping on my shelf to read again and ...more
Alan Rathbun
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
So glad I read this book. Daniel Im carefully points out 7 lies and half truths we accept without thinking. We let them shape our identity and miss the beautiful truth of Jesus. I appreciated Im’s vulnerability in sharing how he has fallen prey to these lies at times in his life.

From my perspective, the most timely lie he discusses is “You are what you raise”. The majority of parents around me are living vicariously through their children and it’s unhealthy for them and for their kids. The
Marlz Henry
Feb 01, 2020 rated it did not like it
This book was a very typical self-help/development book, that had all the hallmarks of books that have come before it. There were no new revelations, no new ideas, and in fact I found the theory and thinking behind the "'you are what you do, what you experience, who you know, what you know, what you own, who you raise and you are your past' to be a little insipid. I anticipated this book would have explore more of the value behind the effort in what you do in your life, valuing work ethic, ...more
dennis
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is all about addressing seven lies that we believe (in regards to our life and identities):

1. You are what you do
2. You are what you experience
3. You are who you know
4. You are what you know
5. You are what you own
6. You are who you raise
7. You are your past

David uses a lot of stories and anecdotes to address these lies and then he partners each with Scripture. At the end, he calls his reader to not only call these lies out but to fill that space with the truth of Scripture and
Chet A. Kennedy
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Presenting truth while shattering lies

Daniel Im does an incredible job of unpacking the lies we so often tell ourselves to get through this life. Daniel shares personal examples, practical advice and real world examples to work through why we believe the lies and how we can move beyond them.

I was inspired by the authors vulnerability and appreciated how each chapter was summed up with practical ways to move forward into a better way of living.

I know that this book will inspire readers and
Brad McNair
Daniel Im writes from a place of vulnerable honesty and addresses 7 lies that have latched themselves to hearts of so many. When addressing the 7 lies, Daniel, helps you see how it impacts the way we view ourselves and others. Thankfully, Daniel speaks to the heart and walks through practical ways to let go of the lie. His practical ways are rooted in Scripture and he does not just tell you to try harder. If you struggle with identity issues, shame, loving yourself or others, or self-worth grab ...more
Adria Switzer
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Daniel has a keen sense of global trends and explores how society has adopted certain ideologies and patterns. His book challenged many of the ideas I've bought into over the years. At the same time, it offered a refreshing new way to look at myself and how I fit into the world around me. Daniel's sense of humor and shared glimpses of personal experience are a treat. You won't be disappointed in this read.
Nicholas Minerva
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The lies that are unpacked in this book pull at all of us. It’s so easy to find our ultimate meaning in what we do, what or who we know, or even in what we experience. “You Are What You Do” unpacks the lies we are all faced with and shows us how to find our true identity in Christ. This is a message we need to hear again and again. Daniel gives us that message in a helpful, easy to read, and incredibly transparent look at his own life. Get this book!
Darren Goodrich
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever had an identity crisis? Maybe you’ve heard these statements before:

You are what you do. You are what you experience. You are who you know. You are what you know. You are who you raise. You are what you own. You are your past.

Do any of these sound familiar? This book points out these lies and how they influence and shape our society through everyday living.

This world force feeds us these lies every day and eventually we give into the them. This is NOT the way God intended for us to
Stephen Bedard
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Daniel Im is able to take the latest trends and use them to illustrate timeless truths. In this book, Im presents seven lies, lies that seem awfully attractive, and shines biblical truth upon them. A very practical book for all of us to read.
Cole Claybourn
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Eye-opening book that speaks truth to so many lies we are told, and ultimately believe, about our very essence. Daniel's writing paints a unique view on where we find our sense of identity and the lies that often leads us there. A definite must-read.
MayorEmma
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
Earc from netgalley.

Interesting book, there was not really anything that stuck out to me, though.
Jason Park
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, reading-in-2020
You are not what you do, what you own, who you raise, or what you experience. Daniel Im wants you to know how to counter that with what God says. My full review: https://medium.com/park-recommendatio...
Dan Nichols
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Daniel Im has a great pulse on the North American cultural shifts that affect the depths of our hearts and the state of our souls. He communicates winsomely with a transparent personality & sharp insights too.
Nick Cady
Feb 10, 2020
Shawn
Feb 04, 2020
Daniel Im
Oct 19, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Reyna
Jesse Rice
Feb 04, 2020

• Finale (Caraval, #3)
  • Boy Swallows Universe
  • The Heir (The Selection, #4)
  • A Map of Days (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #4)
  • A Repair Kit for Grading: 15 Fixes for Broken Grades
  • Letters From Hell: Peering into the World of the Condemned
  • Paul: A Biography
  • Australia Day
  • Discernment: Reading the Signs of Daily Life
Daniel Im is the Senior Associate Pastor of Beulah Alliance Church, a multiplying multisite church focused on reaching 1% of Edmonton for Christ. His latest book is You Are What You Do: And Six Other Lies about Work, Life, and Love. He is also the author of No Silver Bullets: Five Small Shifts that will Transform Your Ministry, and co-author of Planting Missional Churches: Your Guide to Starting ...more