Start by marking “The Autumn Garden” as Want to Read:
The Autumn Garden

The Autumn Garden

3.44  ·  Rating details ·  71 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
In the words of New York : "Miss Hellman is contemplating the meaning of middle age to an assorted group of people gathered together in a summer home. All of them are in one way or another frustrated and unhappy. Most of them are under the illusion that some day the things from which they suffer will be removed and they will be once more at peace. But when they come to see ...more
Published October 1st 1952 by Dramatist's Play Service (first published January 1st 1951)

To ask other readers questions about The Autumn Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Autumn Garden

Kenny
Beautifully acted.
Kate
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Island of Unwanted Toys, but in the South.
Marc
Jul 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: drama, 2017
Was intrigued by some of the plot lines but they were left unanswered - not my favorite of her plays.
Jamie
Apr 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a play about the inertia of life, our tendency to accept what life shapes, our resistance to risk change, until it all becomes too late.

Some favorite quotes:
"I think as one grows older it is more and more necessary to reach out your hand for the sturdy old vines you knew when you were young and let them lead you back to the roots of things that matter."

"I was too good for those who wanted me and not good enough for those I wanted...Life can be hard for such people and they seldom unders
Karen
Oct 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Rather ponderous as a read...interesting tidbit is Dashiell Hammett's contribution to the play shortly before he was nabbed by Joe McCarthy and company for being a "communist." It is definitely better live, than in print, and Hammett's lines for Griggs are the most moving in the play.
Clare Swapp
Sep 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
T.tara Turk-Haynes
Aug 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Hellman's lines and Hammett's lines are so obviously separate but that's not terrible. Wish I could've seen this on its feet.
Oct 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theater
Rose exhausts me...and Sophie is the smartest in the bunch!
Carlos
Jun 19, 2012
Alice
Dec 27, 2017
Nightocelot
rated it did not like it
Aug 21, 2016
Apr 23, 2014
Suzanne
Feb 08, 2008
« previous 1 3 next »
Lillian Florence "Lilly" Hellman (June 20, 1905 – June 30, 1984) was an American dramatist and screenwriter famously blacklisted by the House Committee on Un-American Activities (HUAC) at the height of the anti-communist campaigns of 1947–52.

Hellman was praised for sacrificing her career by refusing to answer questions by HUAC; but her denial that she had ever belonged to the Communist Party was e
More about Lillian Hellman