Start by marking “Taloustiede: käyttäjän opas” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Taloustiede: käyttäjän...

Ha-Joon Chang

Taloustiede: käyttäjän opas

Mitä on taloustiede? Mitä se voi ja ei voi kertoa maailmasta?

Tunnettu taloustieteilijä Ha-Joon Chang kertoo, miten globaali talous toimii. Kirja käy läpi taloustieteen historian ja koulukunnat ja selvittää, kuinka taloustiedettä voi soveltaa todellisessa elämässä.

Chang ei syötä valmiita totuuksia vaan antaa välineet ymmärtää taloutta itse.
Published 2018 by Into kustannus (first published May 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Taloustiede, please sign up.
Miguel Silva I think the answer is the title of Chapter 4, based on a Mao Zedong's quotation in page 81 that says: "Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred…moreI think the answer is the title of Chapter 4, based on a Mao Zedong's quotation in page 81 that says: "Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend".(less)

Trevor
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: economics
This is a really good book. A couple of years ago I decided it would be a good idea to get a better idea about what all the excitement was with this economics stuff. So, I set about reading some books. I also decided that I ought to read some books I was likely to disagree with, to get a better idea of the full spectrum of thought around this topic. Some of the threads under the reviews of the books I read that supported free market economics still occasionally flare up. I’m much more likely to ...more
Simon Wood
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
TOO IMPORTANT TO BE LEFT TO ECONOMISTS

Ha-joon Changs "Economics: The User's Guide" is the first title in the newly resurrected Pelican imprint. Chang himself is best described as a heterodox economist, firmly outside the mainstream where neoclassical economics (not to mention neoliberalism) is the reigning creed. But given the multiple failings of orthodox economics the heterodox Chang with his cheerful style, wide learning and a clear and concise authorial voice make him the ideal candidate fo
Mark Lawry
We all have our conversational biases. Mine is a belief in limited government, free trade, and market economies. Chang’s is a belief in a larger state, regulation, and a lack of faith in markets. That’s fine, we can all continually read and learn from each other. However, Chang tries to walk a fine line between being governed by his own biases while yet being continually wrong. There are just too many examples of this in this work. I will name just a couple. He claims “Only Chile did well out o ...more
Maru Kun
...when faced with an economic argument, you must ask the age-old question 'Cui bono?' - Who benefits?...

Or in other words, "follow the money".

So says Ha-Joon Chang in the epilogue to this excellent introduction to economics which shows how economic questions cannot be separated from political questions and which helps explain how politicians hide behind smokescreens of economic theory and economic jargon to advance policies that favour particular interest groups - more often than not the rich
Elizabeth
I really wanted to like this, but I felt like looking at economics this way was more disjointed than helpful. Instead of presenting a textbook approach to economics, Ha-Joon Chang tackles it more conversationally. After digging into the history of economic thought he explores a variety of current events and shows their ties to economics. Readers may take away a greater appreciation for what economics can tell us, but they probably won't get an understanding of how to "do" economics.
Katia N
3.5/5

Ha-Joon Chang is the economist from Cambridge. He broadly specialises in the field of development economics, but famous for his books “23 Things They Don’t Tell You About Capitalism.”  (I have not read that book).

I picked up “the Manual” with the idea of refreshing my knowledge of basic economics. For this purpose, I think, the book is not the best source, but I found a few very interesting and useful parts and ideas in the book nevertheless.

He splits the book in two parts. It is the secon
Tanvika
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: The people fearing economics
Irresistable, likeable introductory book to Economics. I can say that as being a economics student,have struggled quite a bit with the lame,dry, scientific, imaginary diagram prone idealistic neoclassical way of learning. The subject was also taught very very mechanically as a means to maximize our grades and careers.

The first thing the writer does is to break the ' hoax of being a science to be known only by specialist'. You don't need to be a genius to know what people do, why the price keeps
Ed
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ha-joon-chang
This is a brilliant book that dismantles the current fetishism that tries to turn economics--a study of human behavior and its consequences with all the uncertainty and rough edges that any investigation of people and the way they act must contain--into a materialistic science like physics or chemistry with the same rigor and exactitude. The basic assumptions of classical, neo-classical, neo-liberal and most economic thought are based on some core principles which, when looked at apart from the ...more
linhtalinhtinh
This book serves well as an introduction to Economics and its different schools of thought. This is a welcoming effort since underlying assumptions are not so often spelled out clearly and examined. Admittedly, this is only an introduction and thus the examination is brief (to my taste), yet it would be a very useful one for people not in the field, baffled by the seemingly too complex economic issues, yet who wish to know more.

This is somewhat similar to Chang's other books in the author's crit
Franz
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have found a new favorite author. Chang, an economist at Cambridge University, has written a reader-friendly guide that is sensible and fairly comprehensive. He is convinced that anyone who makes some effort can understand the basic principles of economics, and such knowledge is required for anyone who hopes to have some impact on decisions regarding our local, national, and global societies. In other words, all of us. He immediately admits that, contrary to the claims of many orthodox economi ...more
Jim Angstadt
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Economics: The User's Guide
Ha-Joon Chang

I really like the way that Chang organizes this book. He uses multiple layers of summary to help keep the reader focused on the topic and related to the overall concepts. He even advises what to read if one only has a very limited time. For example, "If you have a couple of hours: Read Chapters 1 and 2 and then the Epilogue."

Chapters have sub-headings; within the sub-headings, every few paragraphs have a sub-sub heading that is in italic type. This makes s
Tammam Aloudat
Who reads a book about economics on a holiday? I did and I have enjoyed every part of it immensely. Chang makes his book entertaining as one would expect from a novel. This is not to say that this is not the serious work of economy, it just address is a different audience. Those of us who aren't versed in the science and art of economics but still want to learn about it so to navigate our world.

I have always struggled to understand what economics are about and I hope the world of finance works.
Otto Lehto
A decent overview of the subject of economics, written by the "maverick" Cambridge economist Ha-Joon Chang, whose books have challenged the status quo in a witty way. This book, however, is a bit flimsier. It doesn't really know what it wants to be: an introduction to the layman, or a critical commentary on the present state of the science? Therefore, it ends up being a bit of both.

It is full of good advice: "the willingness to challenge professonal economists and other experts should be the fou
Niall Fitzpatrick
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's immediately clear the huge effort to make economics accessible for a casual reader. So many books about economics ride the tail of the latest crisis and can be more unhelpful as they espouse a particular solution without reference to wider economic history. It was shocking to read that some economics schools don't teach economic history!
Refreshingly this book doesn't favour between the different schools of thought but does offer an overview of how these outlooks developed. The overriding m
Praveen
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: economics
After 15 years of my graduation in economics i have never read a single book on "History of Economic Thought"
I just wanted to brush up my existing knowledge in History of Economics it turned out really good , since in the syllabus which i were thought ...i guess it covered only the thoughts till Milton Friedman and the only crisis which it explains was "Great Depression" no idea whether same has been revised or not because universities in our country are notorious in following age old syllabus..
Dalila.
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I received the book through Goodreads First Reads.

Ha-joon Changs "Economics: The User's Guide" is very interesting and a good book it is also very understandable for people like me who are not very familiar with economics After this book, everything will look different.
My recommendation
Peter Mcloughlin
I don't like the format of this book. It is like skittering around a webpage. I couldn't get into it. I liked his previous book 23 things they don't tell you about economics but this one is too scattered for me to get into.
Philipp
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely marvellous overview of where the 'science' of economics is now at - what are the different schools of thoughts, what are the terms, numbers, and statistics we use to measure economics and compare them, what are the drawbacks of each measurement and what are we missing out on, how do we measure inequality and how does that work, it's a very-well written introduction to economics.

Kevin
I revisit this every few years; always engaging, real world ECON 101 to reference and critique.

The Good:
--A worthy State Capitalist reformer (with specialty in Development Economics) to engage with, it is fascinating to see how Chang organizes "Economics" and makes it accessible.
--This User's Guide on how to think (as opposed to what to think) about Economics has some sound principles:
1) Economics cannot be a science as the issues it addresses are political, immersed in human morality. So, w
Thomas
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A concise and sometimes witty overview. Chang's leftist tendency is apparent mostly by contrast to the conservatism running rampant in the world today, an attitude which dismisses the economic success of a county like Norway out-of-hand because it isn't based purely on market-based neoclassical economics. In other words, not American. Because I am an American with an American education and consume American news, I was a little surprised by Chang's holistic approach. Economics considers more than ...more
Alexander Barnstone
Ha - Joon Chang provides an easy to read exploration of many facets of the field of economics. The book gives the reader a basic coverage a wide range of topics including the history or capitalism, the dimensions of international trade, the way we view production, the different schools of economic thought, and the relationship between politics and economics. The book is extraordinarily useful in that with each overview it provides further readings the reader can choose to pursue if they desire - ...more
A.K. Kulshreshth
A engaging work that constantly surprised and educated me. Chang explains differing points of view, acknowledges the failures of economists, admits that the Nobel Prize in economics was started...erm... a bit later than in the other disciplines and makes it a point to challenge a lot of conventional wisdom. It is an important message that economics is too important to be left to "professional" economists.

I especially liked the wide-ranging references: from Wodehouse to Borgen, and an interesting
Emma Sea
Sep 25, 2017 marked it as on-hiatus  ·  review of another edition
gah, this has to go back to the library and I haven't finished :(
lifeofsadnan
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good book for noobs like me. Clear arguments, very little jargon, and a good introduction to the mess that is the modern economy.

Book summary to follow soon.
Subvert
Ended up finishing book even though I was never sure if it was completely worth it for me. I think I expected it something else, something more textbook like. I dont have a background in economics, but have a strong interest in political economy and been following things since 2008. So there wasn't so much new stuff in it for me somehow. It didnt go very deep most of the time. Still, especially in the beginning, it was a pleasant read filled with cultural references and I was quickly through a b ...more
Jose
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent primer for anyone, and that should be everyone , interested in economics. It is a bit simple and that suits me fine as I think most economics books are ridiculously complex sometimes for no good reason . The fact is that most of our notions about the economy are authored by corporations and people in the thick of the financial system so we get a very partial account, one that tends to emphasize the importance of markets, the efficiency of an economy with no regulatory framew ...more
Shafiq Razak Rajan
Got mad when your country signed the TPPA? And yet, you lack the basic knowledge on why you should get mad? You got mad because your country's all-time favorite leader is responsible for the signing, and oh, the charismatic opposition tells that you should be angry for that too. So, how to be outraged and not to appear stupid? Read this book.

Prof Ha-Joon's book is certainly a good 101 course to any economic newbies. You'll learn the history of capitalism, how economic decisions are made, all the
Clif
Aug 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very straightforward look at economics quite different from any economics text you might have run across in school. There are no charts and no equations. The author states that economics is not scientific, but political. Being political it is all about who gets what and how much. I think the world has awakened to this as we see who are the winners and losers from globalization.

As a guide to the person who wonders what such acronyms as GDP, FDI, CDO mean, you couldn't find an easier to
Jeff
May 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I should say right at the start of this review that my undergraduate degree was in a variant of economics.

Perhaps that made this book a little more accessible than it might be for the average reader. How can I be sure? I don't think that's the case though; from previous articles and books I've read by this author, I've come to the conclusion that he has the knack of making economics interesting for the casual reader without over-simplifying.

His best-known book, 23 Things They Don't Tell You Abou
Yasser Mohammad
The book is a long attack on neoclassical theory of economics.
It starts deviating from mainstream economics for the public books in three main grounds:
1. Economic is humbled as the study of the economy rather than the study of rational choice in general.
2. The book advocates a view of economic theories as political arguments never devoid from political agendas and influences.
3. The book points to ghd existence of several competing economic theories that complement each other instead of focusing
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Never Let a Serious Crisis Go to Waste: How Neoliberalism Survived the Financial Meltdown
  • Can We Avoid Another Financial Crisis?
  • Modern Money Theory: A Primer on Macroeconomics for Sovereign Monetary Systems
  • The Entrepreneurial State: Debunking Public vs. Private Sector Myths
  • Fragile by Design: The Political Origins of Banking Crises and Scarce Credit
  • The Shifts and the Shocks: How the Financial Crisis Has Changed Our Future
  • The Body Economic: Why Austerity Kills
  • The Economics Anti-Textbook: A Critical Thinker's Guide to Microeconomics
  • Inequality: What Can Be Done?
  • Killing the Host: How Financial Parasites and Debt Bondage Destroy the Global Economy
  • The Global Minotaur: America, the True Origins of the Financial Crisis and the Future of the World Economy
  • The New Spirit of Capitalism
  • The Domesticated Brain
  • The Euro: How a Common Currency Threatens the Future of Europe
  • How Will Capitalism End? Essays on a Failing System
  • Greek and Roman Political Ideas: A Pelican Introduction
  • The Dollar Trap: How the U.S. Dollar Tightened Its Grip on Global Finance
  • The End of Growth: Adapting to Our New Economic Reality
Ha-Joon Chang teaches economics at Cambridge University. His book 23 Things They Don't Tell You About Capitalism was a no.1 bestseller and was called by the Observer 'a witty and timely debunking of some of the biggest myths surrounding the global economy.' He is a popular columnist at the Guardian, and a vocal critic of the failures of our economic system.
“95% of economics is common sense” 11 likes
“Economics is a political argument. It is not – and can never be – a science; there are no objective truths in economics that can be established independently of political, and frequently moral, judgements. Therefore, when faced with an economic argument, you must ask the age-old question ‘Cui bono?’ (Who benefits?), first made famous by the Roman statesman and orator Marcus Tullius Cicero.” 8 likes