Start by marking “Imaginary Friend” as Want to Read:

Imaginary Friend

The story focuses on Kate Reese, a single mother fleeing an abusive relationship by starting over in a new town, with her young son Christopher. Her world begins to unravel after Christopher vanishes into the Mission Street Woods — where 50 years earlier an eerily similar disappearance occurred. When her son emerges six days later unharmed but not unchanged, he brings with ...more
Expected publication: October 1st 2019 by Orion

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Oct 01, 2019
    Enter for a chance to win an early galley of IMAGINARY FRIEND by Stephen Chbosky!

*NO PO BOXES*

A young boy is haunted by a voice in his head in this “h

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 25 copies available, 5635 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Aug 19 - Sep 08, 2019

Countries available: U.S. and Canada

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Imaginary Friend, please sign up.
    Tory Absolutely not, because it's hard to be suspenseful over 800 damn pages. And it isn't. It should be half that length. You will be bored to tears.

Tammy
    May 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Perks of Being a Wallflower was not part of my adolescence and I’m not much of a horror reader although I do enjoy it every once in a great while. So, I’m not quite the right reader for this ambitious novel. Needless to say twenty years after the publication of Perks, Imaginary Friend is quite a departure for Chbosky. As is fairly typical of horror novels, the main conflict is good vs. evil, God vs. the devil and so on and so forth. The kids-in-jeopardy trope is in full swing which echoes King b ...more
    Whitney Atkinson
    I'll be first to admit that I never read horror, nor do I have the interest, but I wanted to give Stephen Chbosky a try just because he was an iconic author of my teenage years. But this..... wasn't it. Even from the objective perspective of someone not into horror, especially paranormal/fantastical horror, this was a longwinded mess.

This book started out strong to trick you to read on, but the ending was catastrophically terrible. The first 25% is basically what the synopsis describes, and then
    destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
    News articles are saying to expect this in 2019, which makes Stephen Chbosky's second novel a full TWENTY YEARS after Perks. Holy shit, I am so hyped.

update - may 10th, 2019:
    I... holy hell, y'all. It's HAPPENING!

Thank you so much to the publisher for providing me with this ARC in exchange for an honest review!
    ✨    jamieson   ✨
    STEPHEN CHBOSKY

AUTHOR OF THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER???????

AKA THE BOOK THAT DEFINED MY HIGH SCHOOL YEARS AND STILL MAKES ME CRY ????

THIS IS IT CHIEF
    Kai
    Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: owned
    When Emma Watson says it’s a good book, it’s a good book
    Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
    "A nightmare is nothing more than a dream gone sick."

This book.... THIS BOOK. I never read Perks of Being a Wallflower but what I do know is that this author went to a completely different genre with this young adult horror fiction read. Is it worth every 700+ page? You bet your ass it is.

To begin with, the main character's name is Christopher Reese - this made it somewhat sentimental to me because my family became very close with the Reese family when we lived in Italy. Their youngest was thei
    Kelly (and the Book Boar)
    700+ pages by the guy who wrote one of my favorite YA books ever??? Here goes nothing everything . . . . .

Kyra Leseberg (Roots & Reads)
    Okay dear readers, gather around for a segment called "Unpopular Opinion Time".

Imaginary Friend was THE most highly anticipated novel of 2019 for me .  I have waited t w e n t y years for a new novel from Stephen Chbosky!  His debut novel The Perks of Being a Wallflower is my favorite book of all time so of course I've been looking forward to what he would write next.  I was thrilled to learn last year that Chbosky had penned an epic 700 page horror story.

I finished Imaginary Friend yesterday a
    newt
    Feb 27, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: tbr-2019
    dear friend,
    IS THIS THE REAL LIFE? IS THIS JUST FANTASY?

love always,
    charlie.
    OutlawPoet
    I never read The Perks of Being a Wallflower. As a result, I don’t know the author’s usual style and won’t be making any comparison here.

Now, to Imaginary Friend.

I love an epic story. You know, a door stopper of a read. And at 720 pages, this counts. But, oh, it takes a long time to get through those pages. In comparison, I just read a book that topped out at 775 pages. I read it in two days. Imaginary Friend took weeks.

Chbosky builds the story at a rather glacial pace. It will take a dedicated
    ✨ A ✨
    Sep 19, 2018 marked it as anticipating  ·  review of another edition
    Holy shit am I dreaming? WE FINALLY HAVE A COVER!!
    I know things is not going to be anything like PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER but y'all I am still fucking excited because it's been 20 years since perks. 20!!
    Jonathan Lees
    Jul 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2019
    Anyone who read Perks of Being A Wallflower and loved it as much as I did, be warned, this is full-tilt, no-apologies horror. If you're not prepared for that, you might have a tough journey ahead.
    Chbosky takes the well-worn coming-of-age tale and injects it with some seriously dark proceedings and epic action whose pacing occasionally wears out its welcome due to the length and repetitive nature of what happens.
    That said... anyone looking for a lengthy dive into some prime evil doings this Fall
    Kaitlyn Red Wing
    Update 8/13/19: I just received an ARC in the mail today. I'M NOT OKAY.

GUYS. THIS IS NOT A DRILL. I CANT BELIEVE WE ARE GETTING A NEW BOOK AND IT SOUNDS SO FUCKING GOOD
    Taylor
    Jun 17, 2019 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
    Guess who just won herself a copy of this HIGHLY anticipated novel??

Thanks Goodreads, Stephen Chbosky, and Grand Central Publishing. I cannot wait to dive into this new novel!
    Rachel
    Exactly 4 months to go!!!

The countdown is on.

But then again.... Ahhhh.... 4 WHOLE MONTHS TO GO...
    frida ♡
    Feb 21, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    IS THIS A DREAM??? PINCH ME
    Jack Quinn
    Feb 26, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    I’m banging pots and pans because IT’S BEEN TWENTY YEARS SINCE PERKS AND HE’S ACTUALLY WRITING ANOTHER BOOK. 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
    Aimal (Bookshelves & Paperbacks)

BOI I CANT BELIEVE WE HAVE A COVER AND THERES ARCS FLOATING AROUND AND I DONT HAVE ONE *clenches fist*
    lottie
    May 14, 2019 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
    [Tiffany Pollard voice] STEPHEN CHBOSKY???????
    JenLovesBooks
    There is so much I have to say about this book and a lot of it is not good. I can tell you I tried with it, reading all the way through (with tons of stops in-between because believe me, it was needed), getting to know the characters more, trying to get to a conclusion that seemed to never come. And, here's the thing, I couldn't give up on this book, even when I read things that set me off, because here I was baffled and taken in by Christopher and that imaginary world.

That world is really what
    Rebecca
    Jul 11, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: age-adult-books
    Only his second book -- 20 years after the still-going-strong Perks of Being a Wallflower. (But this one is adult horror.)
    TJ
    Thank you to Hachette for providing me with an ARC of this book. Having twenty years between itself and Stephen Chbosky’s The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Imaginary Friend has been one of my most anticipated books since announced. Perks changed my life as a teenager, so I’m devoted to anything Chbosky goes on to write by default. That said, this book is very, VERY different from Chbosky’s teen classic. It’s a story about a mother, her son, and their town caught in the middle of an epic battle be ...more
    Lauren Lee
    I am incredibly disappointed with this— will elaborate upon release date.
    Richard
    May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: teaser
    Just a taster mind; a mere hint of a divine meal by nibbling the buttered roll ahead of the starter.
    A teaser that spells out in words large and bold. READ ME.
    I am not a great fan of dipping into a book; I gain an impression of novel, its author and subject matter and usually plunge straight in. A small section to gauge your appreciation can be like the slow torture of slowly wading out to sea before immersing yourself. It has little relationship to swimming or fun in the waves.
    Well this advance
    Carla (Carla's Book Bits)
    Bless the gods (in this case, Grand Central Publishing) for sending a copy of this my way! My fingers are itching to hold it in my hands and devour it.

crying
    Jamie Klingler
    I enjoyed the first half but think it could have been about 300 pages shorter, felt like the conclusion was overdone and basically on repeat for the last third of the book. The constant overtones of Christianity just got repetitive and boring. If a book is over 700 pages you don’t want to end it disappointed.
    ✨ emma ✨

• Memento Mori
    • Untitled
    • The Lovely and the Lost
    • Ms. Marvel, Vol. 10: Time and Again
    • Curtain Call (CageVec Security, #1)
    • Hello Girls
    • The Babysitters Coven (The Babysitters Coven, #1)
    • The Hand, the Eye and the Heart
    • The Manic Pixie Dream Boy Improvement Project
    • When the Sky Fell on Splendor
    • Sick Kids in Love
    • An Illusion of Thieves (Chimera, #1)
    Stephen Chbosky grew up in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and graduated from the University of Southern California's Filmic Writing Program. His first film, The Four Corners of Nowhere, premiered at the 1995 Sundance Film Festival and went on to win Best Narrative Feature honors at the Chicago Underground Film Festival.

He is the recipient of the Abraham Polonsky Screenwriting Award for his screenplay