Start by marking “Suomesta, rakkaudella / From Finland with Love” as Want to Read:
Suomesta, rakkaudella / From Finland with Love

Suomesta, rakkaudella / From Finland with Love

The book contains both the English original (133 pages) and the Finnish translation of the same book (also 133 pages). (Kääntökirja)

"I wouldn't go so far as to call Finland a paradise. It's too damn expensive and too damn cold. But to be brutally honest again: As much as I love to complain - I have never really regretted coming here."

”En nyt menisi ihan niin pitkälle, että
Published 2005 by Johnny Kniga

To ask other readers questions about Suomesta, rakkaudella / From Finland with Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suomesta, rakkaudella / From Finland with Love

Jenna
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is epic! It describes the Finnish culture so well. Roman Schatz is telling the truth with a slightly ironic tone and I LOVE IT! I had to keep reading this out loud to my boyfriend (I'm so sorry for the student that tried to study next to us) because this was just so funny. And true. Everyone who has moved to Finland from abroad or is finnish, should read this.
Mika Auramo
Roman Schatzin kirjoittama ja Maarika Aution kuvittama ja osin suomentama ulkomaalaisille suunnattu pakinakokoelma lähestyy ”suomalaisuuden ydintä” käyttämällä stereotyyppisiä ja liioiteltuja Suomi-kliseitä huumorin ja ironian keinoin. Jorinaa riittää kahteenkymmeneen neljään tarinaan, jossa suomalaisuutta ruoditaan ulkomaalaisen näkökulmasta. Se ei ihan onnistu, sillä onhan Roman viihtynyt jo vuosikymmeniä Suomessa kirjoittaessaan tätä kirjaa, eikä sitä ulkopuolisen tarkkailijan näkökulmaa oike ...more
Jez
Aug 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finland
If I could recommend only one book about Finland and the Finns it would be this one. It is an invaluable insight into the Finnish character and way of life from the point of view of an outsider. Roman Schatz deals with his subject with an easy, gentle humour, and (I know it's a bit of a cliché, but) I was unable to put it down. A must read for anyone thinking of emigrating to Finland or just wanting to learn more about what makes the Finns 'tick'.
Ruth Bonetti
Jan 22, 2015 rated it liked it
A wry dry look at Finland through German eyes. His honest warts and all appraisal is perhaps acceptable to the Finns as he's a long term resident.
Short chapters because it's a collection of the authors satirical columns. An easy read with a few aha moments and belly laughs.
♡Susanna
Toivoin tykkääväni tästä, mutta huumori ei uponnut. Teksti 2,5 ja kamalat kuvat tiputtivat arvosanan kakkoseen.
Lydia Lee
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
That's an impressive feat for a country: "Now one thing that has always intrigued me about Finland is that they have never had a real bad guy. I mean, almost everybody carries their burden: Germany has its Hitler, Russia its Stalin, the Chinese have Mao, the Americans have Bin Laden, then there's Ceaucescu, Hussein, Bokassa, Pinochet, Dracula and Godzilla...There's something eerily good about Finland. There is not one single genocidal maniac in their entire known history. All they've got are the ...more
Mandy
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Meh. I found the protagonist annoying and stupid for being 32. I can usually overcome it if I don't "like" a character as long as there is something intriguing about him/her. I get that Alina was supposed to be judgmental and a bit narrow and that we were supposed to see her "grow" through the book; however, I didn't really feel that she matured through her experiences. She made realizations about her situation, but there wasn't any real introspection evident.

It was an ok kind of love story and
Eileen
Jun 28, 2014 rated it liked it
I wanted to like this more than I did, as I find Finland interesting and went so far as to actually study the language without having any business or family need for it (unlike every single other person in my class). And Helsinki is really beautiful. But! This group of essays is really dependent on stereotype and thus is not satisfying. Very light and frothy. If you're going to satirize an entire country & culture successfully, you need to go deeper.

Also, the text was clearly originally wri
Annasnova
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Best book about Finland I've read so far. Quick, fun and easy to read in Finnish - it also has the same stories in English, which makes it an awesome language practice tool. I wish my Finnish classes featured funny short stories like these.
Sari Parviainen
Jul 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Jotenkin nämä Suomesta kirjoitetut kirjat eivät koskaan yllätä.
Hyvää oli tässä, että oli kaksi kielinen
Milena
Oct 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone living in finland
Recommended to Milena by: my friend
I read it in finnish and it was hilarious.
Noora
Aug 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: huumori
Ihan hauskoja ja oivaltavia kolumnityyppisiä kirjoituksia niin Suomesta kuin suomalaisistakin. Nopeaa luettavaa.
Peter Kotrčka
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Good one, much better "view on life" than in "Merde" series from Stephen Clarke.
Nina
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whether you are a foreigner or a native Finn, this book brings you the truth and nothing but the truth. WITH a pinch of humour! Great read and lots of fun!
Cynthia
Nov 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Funny, and quite accurate. A good read for foreigners living in Finland.
Milan
  • Myöhempien aikojen pyhiä
  • Helsinki 12
  • Sonja O. kävi täällä
  • Sinun jälkeesi, Max
  • Everything I Know I Learned From TV: Philosophy For the Unrepentant Couch Potato
  • Metsäjätti
  • Nan Goldin
  • Talviunta : 1. osa
  • Heikosti Positiivinen
  • Nul Points
  • Stray Sock Sewing: Making One of a Kind Creatures from Socks
  • Children's Picturebooks: The Art of Visual Storytelling
  • Luonnon laki
Roman Schatz is a German-born Finnish TV show host and an author. He was born in Western Germany in 1960 and has been living in Helsinki, Finland, since 1986. He has appeared on TV in various programs, including his own show Toisten-TV, in international movies Better Than Andy and he has written several books. His first book was called From Finland with love – Suomesta rakkaudella. Many of his boo ...more