Jump to ratings and reviews
The Third book in the Where the Hell is Tesla? Trilogy is HERE!

Listen, having kids is great, my little Gigi Collins and Pete’s daughter Hannah are sweet little fluffs of cotton candy, spun from the silk of fairy spiders who live in the clouds. But MAN, can they cause trouble. Seriously, you’d think a two-year-old couldn’t possibly threaten the very existence of our physical reality, but, well, you know where this is going.

So join me and Pete, and Bobo, and of course the man himself, Nikola Tesla, on another spine-tingling, bowel-loosening thrill ride, and remember: bring your adult diapers.

WARNING: If you haven’t read Where the Hell is Tesla? and Don’t Touch the Blue Stuff! (Where the Hell is Tesla? Book 2), I apologize in advance, as you might get completely freaking lost. If you do, just call my apartment, if I’m not watching Gigi I’ll try to pick up the phone, and I’ll fill you in. (Assuming our physical reality still exists.) – Chip

210 pages, Kindle Edition

Published June 5, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Rob Dircks

12 books260 followers
Rob Dircks is the #1 Audible bestselling author of You're Going to Mars! , the Where the Hell is Tesla? series, The Wrong Unit , and more (including the anti-self-help book Unleash the Sloth! 75 Ways to Reach Your Maximum Potential By Doing Less ). He's also got a drawerful of screenplays and short stories, some of which appear on his original audio sci-fi short story podcast Listen To The Signal, also narrated by the author.

Rob's a member of SFWA (Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America), and is a big fan of classic science fiction. When not writing, he's helping other authors publish their own work with Goldfinch Publishing, writing and designing for the award-winning ad agency he owns with his brother (appropriately called Dircks Associates), and generally doing what he calls "sampling": video production, audio production, app development, photography, guitar, reading, cooking. (Note the absence of the phrases "going to the gym" and "running iron-man triathalons.") He lives in New York with his wife and two kids. You can get in touch at robdircks.com.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
3 (1%)
1 star
2 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 31 reviews
Profile Image for donna backshall.
610 reviews170 followers
April 24, 2021
Rob Dircks does it again with Gigi Make Paradox. And yes, I mean he did it in the best way possible, because I'm talking about another fun-loving, never serious (except for seriously geeky), time traveling adventure novel about Chip and the gang.

Chip and his darling little two year old, Gigi, are joined by Pete and his equally darling little two year old, Hannah, on yet another goofball adventure in time.

The group enters the ITA (Interdimensional Transfer Apparatus) for a little celebrating for Chip's birthday, but of course, nothing ever goes as planned. What fun would that be? Things go sideways when toddler Gigi accidentally enters "Old Man's" (Nicola Tesla's) 1947 apartment. The universe doesn't break, as you might expect from what we've learned in the first two installments, but as we come to find out, it's only a matter of time before all the dimensions could go bye-bye.

And of course, our adventure through all the parallel worlds wouldn't be complete without Chip's attempts to understand humanity and how we interact with the chaos of the universe, this time with a little parenting and aging knowledge thrown our way:

But why does free will have to be random? We're not talking about luck, like the lottery.
Because if you knew the outcome of your choice, it wouldn't be free will now, would it?

Our reluctant heroes work their way through all the calamitous mess. I won't spoil it, but rest assured we all live to enjoy this end of the Where the Hell is Tesla? series.
Profile Image for Rob Dircks.
Author 12 books260 followers
Read
June 14, 2019
Hi! I'm the author. And once again, it was an absolute blast getting back into deep doo-doo with Chip and Pete, and Nikola and Bobo, and now Chip and Pete's kids, Gigi and Hannah. I won't give up too much, other than to say that if you've ever had a two-year-old, or even just interacted with a two-year-old, you know how much trouble they can get into. And man, this time it's some white-knuckle, grab-something-nailed-down trouble!

(One more little thing I loved about writing this one -- there's a character introduced this time who came out of absolutely nowhere, and she wound up being one of my favorite characters ever.)

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the read/listen as much as I enjoyed writing/narrating it. -- Rob
Profile Image for Zac Stojcevski.
430 reviews5 followers
February 5, 2020
With this installation of the "Tesla Trilogy" we move from Chip and Pete saving the uni - nay multiverse to a more communal resolution. In addition to our soon to be decrepit duo, we get their adorable progeny, Bobo, Tesla, Marie Curie, a gender confusing dinosaur, a medieval prince, more Bobos than you can poke a stick at and Pete's great aunt in this deliberate tour de farce across time, space and any other axes or dimensions you can think of. Not bad for a guy's night in.

I feel mean for only giving this book 4/5 stars, but I had become accustomed to sudden and uncontrollable laughter and unavoidable regurgitation of jokes in the previous two volumes - that it lacks. However, just as our heroes have aged - and perhaps the author - we are getting more witty puns and groaning mirth that my kids label "Dad Jokes" - telling their friends not to encourage mine so that I will stop; there's plenty of those...I see what my kids mean.

Otherwise, Dirck's writing remains engaging and challenging to make one consider the science fiction components as we're whirled quickly from scene to scene in what appeared at the end - too short a book? Maybe I didn't want the trilogy to end? Has it ended? Will this become like Star Wars and this becomes book 6 or something? Rob?

Like Gigi's observation, may this series live on forever.

PS - touching ode to Tesla's last living relative at the end.
Profile Image for Adrian.
939 reviews11 followers
July 22, 2019
I enjoy Rob Dircks’s books. They are not for everyone but they’re fun, light-hearted, a bit of science-geekiness, and usually give you a warm, fuzzy feeling at various times. I think I would have benefited from reading all three of these books back-to-back-to-back since I didn’t remember everything that happened in previous books. Rob did a great job of providing a very fast review of what happened. There is a bit of language in his book, just like other books, so, fair warning.

There are some hard-to-deal-with concepts regarding physics, but that’s part of the science fiction fun. However, I hate to say this, but this was not my favorite book from Rob. I enjoyed it for the most part, but I think it got a little too silly for me and a little too far-fetched. I liked the historical aspects (1945, 1182, and 65 mya); all those segments were fun. But I guess I am happy the series has ended. I greatly look forward to more books from Rob (I loved You're Going to Mars!!)

I liked the dedication at the end. It made the book, and series, more meaningful. Giving more respect to NikOla Tesla (pronounced correctly) is a good deed. What’s funny is that in early July, there was a Jeopardy! question about Tesla that I totally knew because of this book! (plus, Alex Trebek pronounced the name wrong too). This was the question: “Quite the loner, Nikola Tesla made close friends only with these urban creatures & often fed & nursed them”.

Audiobook narrator Rob Dircks rating: 5 stars
He does a wonderful job of reading his own books. He’s even good at many different accents.

Thanks, Rob, for the free audiobook!
Profile Image for Joe.
159 reviews
June 27, 2020
3.5 stars. I enjoyed the first 2 books, but felt this one was a departure from them. I have a 2 year old so enjoyed and could relate to some of the interaction with the children, but felt this story was a little too out there, even for this series. The narration was good, but some repetition in the beginning of each chapter.
11 reviews
February 25, 2020
What a clever tale! I listened to all three books in the series starting with Where the Hell is Tesla, followed by Don't Touch the Blue Stuff and finally Gigi Make Paradox.

This review spans all three books because I am unable to separate the story line into the individual books. However, this review has some GiGi Make Paradox specific comments which explain the slight drop on rating for this one. I'll try not to give any spoilers.

I enjoyed every bit of the listen on audible. I love the story-telling through desperate messages. Very clever. With infinite doors Dircks is able to take the story literally... anywhere and have his characters encounter literally... anything, including alternate selves, alternate physics, nothing, and there might even be dinosaurs. He takes us on a brilliant ride of seemingly never-ending entertainment. The absurd becomes "hmm that...might actually...could happen!"

However, when it comes to the third book, Gigi Make Paradox, it is difficult to pin-point why I did not enjoy it AS much as the other two but I'll take a stab at it.

At times, I felt the author was simply trying to wrap up the story rather than put the same creativity into the story, though I can't say which parts felt that way because this book also contains some of the most creative new...entities? shall I say? And...occurrences? You decide!

I wasn't as enthralled with the new characters other than Calvin who is hysterical and an ultra-clever addition to the story. I defiantly did not like certain parts of Dircks handling of the relationship between Chip and Gigi or Gigi's grossly exaggerated capabilities of comprehending things at age 15 mos. I mean, my kids were talking full sentences by age two but that doesn't mean they understood everything I was saying. Their vocabulary was more limited, more like "the dog peed on the rug" or "I need to go potty." and so was there level of understanding what I said to them. So young GiGi is really not believable by me and very annoying. But she does grow out of it later.

Also, I think Chip should change his OWN babies diaper. Really. What a sexist attitude! Baby hand-off to a woman to change the diaper. But, I have to forgive Dircks for that one and just move on because I love him so much. But really. Does Dircks have kids? Did his wife change all the diapers? I think so.

Overall, I think there were just too many new characters to develop relationships for that I cared about in one much shorter story in the way the previous books excelled at. I literally got bored a few times with the characters which had never happened while listening to the prior two episodes of primarily Pete and Chip with some Bobo and Tesla. I guess I feel just a tiny bit cheated because I just think Dircks could have done better somehow. Was his contract coming due so he rushed? Did something happening that made him less focused on non-reality? Did he ACTUALLY find the other dimensions and we got an alternate this time?

But back to being serious, though, I love this author and he got me with the word "Tesla" on the first book because I'm just such a science geek. I really didn't care what the story was going to be about if it was something to do with finding Tesla, I was willing to give it a go. But I'm glad he did get my attention because this is probably the beginning of a new love affair with Dircks books and I would happily buy more books by him in the future and go hunt for more titles by him from the past.

You're Going to Mars was a big win with me too.
Profile Image for Ralph.
482 reviews3 followers
November 1, 2020
4.0 stars - Fitting and satisfying conclusion to the Where the Hell is Tesla series

Okay, we are in the middle of a pandemic. I'm lying in a hospital bed recovering from a non-COVID related surgical procedure. I have two audiobooks to choose from: Gigi Make Paradox or The Great Influenza: The Story of the Deadliest Pandemic in History. Which to choose?

As I have reminded others in other reviews of the Where in Hell is Tesla series, start with the first book. You will be missing so much of the background and character development that you won't full enjoy the other books in the series.

Gigi Make Paradox is the final installment of the "Tesla" series and ties things up pretty nicely. The series is outlandish, humorous, and gets the mind thinking about some of the possibilities raised by the ability to navigate multiverses.

But the best part is that the story has heart. You care about the characters and really like them - even if they are being a bit silly at times. Despite all of the adventures and challenges of the multiverse, at the heart of it all is love. In this book, between a father and his daughter as they experience the effects of time dilation.

I have enjoyed every book by Mr. Dircks, who is also an excellent narrator for the series.

January 7, 2020
I loved this book - it was a wonderful wrap up to the trilogy. The characters are absolutely hilarious, and the introduction of the kids was a fun device. I'm really looking forward to more from this author.
Profile Image for Scott Francis.
10 reviews
November 28, 2020
Everything I love about reading, laughing and love. Thank you Rob

I wish I could give this author and this book 10 stars. Rob, you are an amazing and fun read! Even your audible audio books are unlike any other. I did not expect this series to end in such a beautiful balance of happy and sad. Perfect my friend.
51 reviews
October 29, 2021
A good finale to the “Where is Tesla” series. I]Chip, Pete Tesla, Gigi and Hannah are joined by new characters and remain funny. Chip is funny and the adventure is engaging. Recommend reading as long as you have read the first two books
Profile Image for Lynn.
486 reviews4 followers
December 2, 2021
Good ending to the series

I enjoyed the book, but was a bit hard to follow the plot at times. Still a fun reading experience.
Profile Image for Graisi O'Hara.
415 reviews5 followers
April 19, 2021
This was an entertaining conclusion to the series; I laughed, I cried. I loved the - for some reason they were the funniest thing in the book. I could have done without the fart jokes as they weren't clever and there were too many of them. But overall, this was a weird and fun read.
Profile Image for Ammon.
246 reviews19 followers
July 26, 2019
This review is for the audiobook version of Gigi Make Paradox (Where the Hell is Tesla? Book 3) by Rob Dircks and narrated by the author.

Chip and Pete are each parent to their own, respective, tiny munchkin. Because the two buddies are still pretty much kids themselves, a moment of parental neglect leads their children to create a temporal paradox that may spell the end of the universe, the multiverse, and possibly the boboverse.

At this point, I can't really imagine anyone else being the voice of Chip Collins. Dircks is his own creation. His performance is bittersweet as this trilogy comes to a close.

Despite being the shortest entry in the Teslaverse, Gig Make Paradox is arguably the strongest. It ties together all the loose threads and even It's also the book with the most heart. Chip gets emotional on more than one occasion and it feels real. Saying goodbye to this series means , the consequences seem natural (for this kind of book anyway).

At the conclusion of the story, Rob Dircks documents his experience reaching out to the living descendants of Tesla to inform them of his intent to include him in this work. I found it very humanizing both of the real and the fictional Tesla--it gave me all the feels.

I wouldn't recommend this book unless you've read the previous two (which you should). If you're already two books in at this point then you're gonna want to see it through to its conclusion. It's funny, sciencey, meta, and poignant. Dircks brings his Tesla series to a satisfying end.

Farewell, Chip! Thanks for all the Bobos!

***Full Disclosure: I was voluntarily provided this free review copy audiobook by the author, narrator, or publisher
Profile Image for Powder River Rose.
437 reviews9 followers
July 8, 2019
So just when you thought the series was finished out pops Gigi, the adorable little angel of Chip and Julie along with Pete and his adorable little Hannah who are also instrumental in this spine tingling adventure where once again we enter the inter dimensional transfer apparatus and, well, all hell breaks loose with another catastrophe that threatens the existence of all the dimensions including and especially our own. We have the usual cast of characters but also a few new folks tossed into the proverbial mix to save the universe. Whew! Chip continues to write his cheeky memos (I prefer love letters) which seem to turn into the books we read......makes one wonder if the government really is hiding this little secret.....hehehehe The author has written a hilarious and exhilarating end to the series and the fact that he narrates makes it all the better. Don’t miss this wild and crazy, totally gobsmacked entertainment.

I was given this audiobook by the author in exchange for a fair and honest review. I have done so. Thank you Rob Dircks for another enjoyable afternoon with Chip and the gang.

X posted on Facebook, Audible and Goodreads
Profile Image for Craigd.
26 reviews1 follower
July 4, 2019
I liked this book, did I like it as much as the first two in the series? No. I really like the mechanism for the whole series, the protagonist is writing a series of emails that tell the story of what is happening in the story. Of course this wouldn't work in all stories, the Indian Jones series would have been a lot shorter as Indy pulls out his pen and paper to tell of how deftly he swapped the gold statue for a sack of dirt, and got crushed by a giant stone.

Honest review: I want to rate this 3.5, but I can't. But it's better than the middle of the road so I'm rounding up, but I wouldn't really call it a 4 star book. Yes it's funny, but as the 3rd book, there are a few running gags that have been drug out too long, like Peter Griffen scrapping his knee and holding it for just a tad too long.

Despite my complaint about a few running gags that ran too long, this book does add to the overall series. It introduces new mechanisms and does have new jokes. I say read it, or better yet listen to Rob read it!
Profile Image for Matthew.
199 reviews2 followers
August 1, 2019
I recommend this book to anyone who has read or listened to the other two in the trilogy and enjoyed them. Beyond that, I recommend this whole series to anyone who just enjoys a good laugh and a bunch of amusing characters.

So when it comes to this series, I don’t always follow what’s going on, but it has always been quite entertaining. If you’re reading this review, you’ve probably finished the other two in the series, so there isn’t much more to say, save that this one is probably the most fun of the three. Chip and Pete are still around, but this time, their daughters are joining them on a journey to save the multiverse (again). Also accompanying them is Marie Curie, a [redacted], a [redacted], Bobo, and of course Tesla himself. But those are just icing on the cake. The spawn of Chip and Pete’s marriages should be all you need to know to know that the shenanigans will be EPIC.

So while this isn’t high literature, and it’s not going to make you question your life choices, or anything else particularly deep, it will get some silly grins and out loud laughs from you.
Profile Image for Julie  Capell.
991 reviews26 followers
July 31, 2019
Yes, the multiverse is again in jeopardy in what seems to be the final installment in the Tesla series. On the surface, this book, like its predecessors, is a light romp with many laugh-out-loud moments. But because Rob Dircks is such a fantastic writer, underneath lurks a helluva story about growing up and growing old. Throw in some Truths about parenting and being parented, the nature of god and the universe, love and friendship, and you have some pretty Deep Stuff to contemplate, should you be so inclined. Or simply allow yourself to be carried along with the fun. Not to be missed if you have read the other two books in the series.

[I listened to this as an audio book read by the author, Rob Dircks, who does a fantastic job giving the different characters accents. Can't imagine anyone else narrating this book. ]

[I received a free copy of the audiobook by the author and have endeavored to provide a fair and honest review]
Profile Image for Daniel.
122 reviews4 followers
October 26, 2019
"Gigi Make Paradox" is the third book in a series that started with "Where the Hell is Tesla?" and continued with "Don't Touch the Blue Stuff". If you've read the first two books, you know exactly what to expect, it starts with a fart joke and ends with a poop joke. The middle however is a story of the love between a father and daughter and how that love saves the multiverse. There's other stuff in there, too, but I don't want to spoil the fun of reading (or listening to) it yourself.

So, go pick it up (along with the first two if you haven't already) and treat yo' self to a wonderful tale of suspense and heroism! Afterwards you'll thank me for the suggestion and I respond by telling you not to thank me, thank Rob Dircks for writing it. Then we'll sit around reading other books until part four arrives.
Profile Image for Rebecca.
28 reviews10 followers
July 8, 2019
This book was such a short, sweet and satisfying conclusion to the trilogy of Where the Hell is Tesla series! Chip really has grown up so much and is such a sweet dad. I do wish Pete gave him more hugs though. I got audiobook for free in exchange for an honest review and honestly; while it wasn’t my favorite Tesla novel (the first one will always be my favorite) this one touched me a little deeper inside. The infinite dance between Free Will and Destiny is something I think about a lot. I’d love to read more about Gigi and Hannah someday, and all the adventures I’m sure they get up to as their lives unfold!
726 reviews
July 27, 2019
Maybe closer to 3.5 stars but loved the series overall so rounded up.

I have enjoyed the Tesla books and perhaps this is the last one and so it should be. The book felt a little tired to me whether that is on me or on Rob I don't know.
Still, I loved the main characters and really enjoyed the world of the Bobos. I thought the family sentimentality was a little overdone, not bad, but perhaps a little too much.

I look forward to Dircks future works with one current book to still read.
Profile Image for Keith .
351 reviews7 followers
September 11, 2019
A good if not outstanding ending to the Tesla series by Rob Dircks. The story gives some really deep insights and things to think upon. Some deep stuff reminiscent of late night conversations around the campfire contemplating the meaning of everything and the meaning behind the meaning. There's also a very good message of love for family, for friends, for everyone around you. The ending was sad and joyous at the same time. Enjoyable, fits well with the previous two entries in the series though not as strong as the first.
Profile Image for Tom Sadira.
Author 7 books10 followers
December 13, 2019
What a friggin' blast! I couldn't put down this epic final installation in Rob Dircks' Tesla trilogy. Hilarious and endearing, it starts with a fart joke and ends with a poop joke—and takes the reader through an extraordinary adventure in between.

Lovable characters and bizarre worlds are woven together with a fast-paced, natural voice that goes down smoooooth. This book in particular (and this series in general) deserve a permanent spot on the shelf of outrageously fun, thoughtful science fiction.

Profile Image for Ida Marlene.
28 reviews1 follower
August 5, 2022
I was sceptical towards a follow up book that included children of the main cast. But I am happy to say I was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't that bad! As a trilogy, I enjoyed this series. I don't always enjoy reading series, as often the main concept of the story gets worn out after the first book. But I'm glad I read this whole trilogy. It was quite enjoyable, as I like the humour. And damn, Rob Dircks is a GREAT narrator!

In this particular book I absolutely loved the part about nihilistic dinosaurs. That had me really laughing! Thanks, Rob!
2 reviews
July 6, 2019
A Fun and Funny trip to another world, er- dimension

This book that will make you smile, laugh out loud AND think. The adventures of Chip, Pete and Nikola Tesla in the ITA are the scientifically proven antidote for whatever makes you weary. The author Rob Dircks is the love child of Robert A Heinlein and Christopher Moore.
Profile Image for Jon.
16 reviews
July 6, 2019
A Fun and Funny trip to another world, er- dimension

This book that will make you smile, laugh out loud AND think. The adventures of Chip, Pete and Nikola Tesla in the ITA are the scientifically proven antidote for whatever makes you weary. The author Rob Dircks is the love child of Robert A. Heinlein and Christopher Moore.
Profile Image for Todd.
25 reviews
July 29, 2019
Once again a brilliant fun read. The rollicking tale is actually quite densely packed with emotional moments. Rob Dircks has once again made you care about these characters and their multiverse hijinks and adventures. It's a quick read and neatly finishes off the series. Good fun and highly recommended.
Profile Image for J.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
1,196 reviews45 followers
July 2, 2019
This was a lot of fun, it got several good chuckles out of me.

It sounded like a finale to the the Where the Hell is Tesla universe, I look forward to seeing what Dircks' brings us in the future.

Great narration.

The were my favorite.
1,036 reviews27 followers
November 6, 2019
I wasn't sure Rob could write another Tesla story, but he did! This is a great wrap-up to the wacky series, and a good send-off to the "Old Man." I do recommend this, but I think it is best experienced from the start and isn't one of those "jump in wherever" kinds of series.
Profile Image for Eti-keti.
7 reviews4 followers
August 7, 2019
Absolutely brilliant book. Just as entertaining as the other 2 parts. I was laughing and crying reading the book. Great job Rob!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 31 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.