Start by marking “Reticence: Custard Protocol” as Want to Read:
Reticence: Custard Protocol

Reticence: Custard Protocol

(The Custard Protocol #4)

From New York Times bestselling author Gail Carriger comes the final book in the Custard Protocol series.

Percy is off to Japan, but will Japan survive Percy?

Bookish and proper Percival Tunstell finds himself out of his depth when floating cities, spirited plumbing, and soggy biscuits collide in this delightful conclusion the Custard Protocol series.

Percival Tuns
Published August 6th 2019 by GAIL CARRIGER LLC

To ask other readers questions about Reticence, please sign up.
George Apparently. https://gailcarriger.com/series/the-c... is headed "1890s Completed Series" and described as a " four book series". That's pretty definitive.
George It's mostly Percy's point of view, but it's not first-person. A female narrator shouldn't be a problem. And I see at https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4... that Ms. Quick indeed has…moreIt's mostly Percy's point of view, but it's not first-person. A female narrator shouldn't be a problem. And I see at https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4... that Ms. Quick indeed has narrated for Audible.(less)

Start your review of Reticence: Custard Protocol
Jackie
Wonderful book! My favorite in this 4 book series! I love the world, the characters, the jokes and the romance! What really made this book extra special was the appearances of some of my favorite characters from her finishing school series! I hope to see more novels and novellas with this series! 😍
Linniegayl
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my! I cannot begin to do the final book in the Custard Protocol series justice. I listened to it in audio and loved, absolutely loved, both the narration and the story. It’s an A+ for me, so five stars here. In a Facebook live event Ms. Carriger described Reticence as something like a “love letter” to her readers/fans; that’s exactly what it felt like to me. In addition to featuring a surprisingly enchanting love story of two nerdish, awkward characters, Ms. Carriger gives plenty of time to o ...more
Maria V. Snyder
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished listening to this one! Loved it - wonderful story, and a great narrator!
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
THERE'S A COVERRRRR
THERE'S A PERCYYYYY
I AM EXCITEEEEE
Tiana Hadnt
2.5 STARS!!!!!! I hate to say this, but Custard Protocol just is not for me. I enjoyed Reticence more than I did Prudence or Competence (Imprudence is the best in the series by far), but I was still left sorely disappointed.

Reticence is all about Percy, and his developing relationship with a doctor named Arsenic. Only, it’s not always about that at all. This fourth in the series reads more as an “I want to bring in all my other characters from previous works to say farewell,” than as
Lisa Wolf
A cute, satisfying ending to the Custard Protocol series. Gail Carriger's fans will absolutely want to read this and see how the adventure turns out. I didn't quite love the POV throughout this book -- certain characters are sidelined or mostly off-stage, which left me a little bit hungry. Still, it's a fun wrap-up to a charming series, and well worth reading.
Oda Renate
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-books
So I just added this to the list and saw that it HAS A COVER NOW!
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Sooo happy! I lost my breath for a few seconds of happyness, I probably looked like I was having a stroke luckily I am alone.
Also, Japan, hats, doctors ooOOooo!!!!
GIVE IT TO ME NOW!!!
-----
So I just finished it. (ae 20 min ago).
I AM IN AWE!
It is so fantastic.
It is subtle yet fun.
Dramatic and yet not too much.
I loved
Kingtchalla83
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Retience" marks the end of an era which makes it an extremely difficult book to review. Gail Garriger's Parasolverse follows three generations of characters, spanding from the 1850s and ending in 1901. Coupled with ancient mythological history "Retience" encompasses the totality of the series and ties up loose ends, but leaves room for more narratives.
🍶
The plot of "Reticence " is fairly straightforward locate and rescue The Wallflower, a spy, and investigate a new shif
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Lacking in plot and consisting largely of a relatively unromantic romance. That said, I actually liked the romance, at least intellectually, because Percy and Arsenic fall in love merely by reading together and sometimes having deep conversations about their various overlapping interests. There's no passion there that I ever felt, but there's a deep connection of the truly similar and there's no doubt they'll live happy lives together. It's generally not the stuff of romance novels, but there's ...more
T.D. Whittle
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy Gail Carriger's books so much, and her Parasolverse is my favourite. I am giving Reticence five stars in appreciation of the entire Custard Protocol series, and its cast and crew. I don't wish to include any spoilers so I will simply say that I was very happy with the setting, the traditional folklore invoked related to that setting, and the romance that ensued. Tea for everyone, please, to celebrate this delightful series!
Karissa
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the fourth and final book in the Custard Protocol. It seems like this book wrapped up the stories set in this world. I am very sad to see the end of these characters and this world. I enjoyed this book a ton it was a very fun and entertaining read.

In this book our beloved adventurers end up going to Japan to investigate a new type of fox shapeshifter rumored to dwell there. The Custard also needs a new doctor and Percy may have finally found his match this time!

Th
Kathy Davie
Fourth and last in The Custard Protocol historical fantasy steampunk series (a sequel series to The Finishing School and then The Parasol Protectorate) revolving around the misfit crew of The Spotted Custard. The couple focus is on Prof Percy Tunstell and Dr Arsenic Ruthven.

My Take
It's all about tolerance and acceptance, and I love this comment about that superiority too many people feel about themselves, their country:
"We failed even to understand there might be others. Supernaturals are not the same the world ov/>
"We/>My
Daphne
Gail Carriger has confirmed on her blog that for now, this is the last full-length novel in the Parasolverse. That makes reviewing this book a little bittersweet for me, as I know I will miss these books a lot.

For those who don't know, the author Gail Carriger has three book series all set in the same universe. It started with the Parasol Protectorate series, then the Finishing School series (which actually takes place before the first series chronologically) and then the Custard Protocol serie
Shannon
Unsurprisingly delightful and lots of sneaky appearances from characters from all the related series made it even more so. I quite enjoyed Arsenic and Persey’s romance and the setting and adventures were quite marvelous in their absurdity.

Sad to see a chapter end, but I have high hopes for more wonderful reads from this author.
Aaron
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite book of the three series. (view spoiler)
Natasha
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book made me “awwww” and squee and laugh. A LOT! I adore this whole world and get lost in it with great pleasure and joy.
Caity
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a satisfying end to this series. I once again loved the new setting and characters and loved seeing the growth of already beloved characters.
Debrac2014
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed it! Rue's wedding was like old home week for some characters from past series! Percy and Arsenic are a good match!
Leta Blake
So sad this series is over but loved every moment of it!
K Whatsherface
The flirting in this book is amazing and I loved the cameos finishing school
Leonard
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reticence marks the end of an era, as Miss Gail Carriger has already stated that there will be no more books in the Parasol Protectorate/Custard Protocol universe. For that alone it deserves the four stars as creating this universe and such a series of books (3 generations of characters!) is no small feat.

The rest of this review does have spoilers, so click accordingly. (view spoiler) ...more
Maja
(Realistic rating: probably closer to the 4-4.5 range, given how weirdly paced it is and how convoluted the end is -- but honestly, in my heart, I gotta round up, if only for the entire experience of the series and how perfectly it ends.)

God, I just LOVE this series. I love the premise, I love the scope of the worldbuilding (imperialism aside), I love the characters so, so, SO much, my perfect little found family!! I loved more than anything that this book brought in two things I abs
Sam Wescott
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, my heart is broken that this is the end of the series, but it was SO SO good. Gail really knows how to wrap up a series, my goodness. She even had a little epilogue called "a tidy little bow" or something like that. It was so emotionally satisfying.

I was pretty surprised that the last book in a series would introduce a new POV character, but I absolutely loved Arsenic and she fit into the series so well. And, you know, seeing all my beloved characters from the eyes of someone new was a ki
Rebecca
Oh, but what a bittersweet read this was, the last book of the third series in Carriger's Parasol-verse, it's always hard to say goodbye to much loved characters. As usual, Carriger provides a fun, fast-paced adventure to parts unknown, featuring new supernaturals, and a great deal of tea. She has a wonderful way with witty banter, and her character's tongues are almost as sharp as their poisonous darts. My one complaint is more an issue with the Custard Protocol as a whole, and less about this ...more
Tim Hicks
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
This is very much a visit to the author's parlour, where she kindly explains that every series has to end sometime, and this is no exception. But since you're here, have some tea and cakes–mind the cat!–and I'll tell you just one more.

Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin.
First off, have you read The Ninefox Gambit? No? Pity, because then you'd know what kitsune are.
Never mind. Once upon a time, ....

The lightweight plot (appropriate for the occasion) takes us somewhere new. Gail remin
Eden
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
2019 bk 274. The latest and the greatest from Gail Carriger. The fourth book of The Custard Protocal finds Percy as the focus. This book ties up a lot of loose ends, gives a peek into what happened to those ladies who attended the Finishing School series, and allows Percy to take a great leap in several ways. I enjoyed this book as much as the others, loved the setting. I have to admit I was hoping to learn more of the Peruvian Vampires who suck fat (not blood) and their adventures in Los Angele ...more
iam
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fantastic end to a series that ties in with pretty much all of the other works by the author. The epilogue was a bit cryptic which I'm (unsuccessfully) trying not to let get to me.
I adored all the cameos and I can't wait to reread the series (and the entire universe to be honest.)
I also adored Percy and Arsenic. Both wonderful characters in their own right, and together with the author's style they made me chuckle a lot.
However, the plot didn't feel quite as high stakes as the
Imogene
While this final instalment in the latest trilogy had a beautifully brilliant opening, somehow it tapered off into a bit too much meh.
It was lovely to see a kind of tying off of loose ends, bringing characters from every one of Carriger's series together.
It's also fantastic to see so much queer representation, especially with some lovely trans women.
The fantasy Japan setting is a little off-putting, as was book 1's fantasy India. At least we escape too much white saviour-ness this time around
Jayme
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All those connections! All those cameos!! Oh, it was such a fun end to the Custard Protocol. I’ll never love it as much as Parasol Protectorate or Finishing School, but thanks to Percy’s installment, who is undoubtedly the character on the Spotted Custard I personally identify with and am fond of most, it’s now in my “repeatedly reread pile,” along with Gail Carriger’s other series.

I’m a little sad I’ll never get to read Reticence for the first time again!!
Tani
Percy's my favorite, so I was very much looking forward to this one. For me, it didn't disappoint. I thought that his romance was utterly adorable, that the trip to Japan was quite fun, and that the series wrapped up in an enjoyable manner. I do kind of wish I'd taken the time to catch up on all of the books from related series, but I think it will also be fun to go back and read them now, so not too big of a regret.
Gail Carriger Fan...: Aug 2019: Reticence by Gail Carriger 22 47 Aug 26, 2019 12:41PM

• The 5th Gender (Tinkered Stars)
  • The Omega Objection (San Andreas Shifters, #2)
  • The Unkindest Tide (October Daye, #13)
  • Marine Biology (San Andreas Shifters, #0.5)
  • Sapphire Flames (Hidden Legacy, #4)
  • Eye Spy (Valdemar: Family Spies, #2)
  • Grave Importance (Dr. Greta Helsing #3)
  • Sweep of the Blade (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4)
  • The Sumage Solution (San Andreas Shifters, #1)
  • The Sinister Mystery of the Mesmerizing Girl (The Extraordinary Adventures of the Athena Club, #3)
  • The Art of Theft (Lady Sherlock, #4)
  • Fledgling (Sorcery and Society, #2)
  • When Did You Last See Your Father? (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #10.5)
  • Granddad's Cup of Tea
  • Dime a Demon (Ordinary Magic, #4)
  • The Prisoner's Key (Glass and Steele, #8)
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
  • Love and Death Among the Cheetahs (Her Royal Spyness #13)
Gail Carriger writes comedies of manners mixed with paranormal romance (and the sexy San Andreas Shifter series as G L Carriger). Her books include the Parasol Protectorate and the Finishing School series. She is published in many languages and has over a dozen NYT bestsellers. She was once an archaeologist and is fond of shoes, octopuses, and tea. Join the Chirrup for sneak peaks of upcoming gigg ...more

The Custard Protocol (4 books)
  • Prudence (The Custard Protocol, #1)
  • Imprudence (The Custard Protocol, #2)
  • Competence (Custard Protocol, #3)
“Oh, Percy, I hate it when you’re right.” He patted her shoulder. “I know, Rue, apologies.” 3 likes
“Also, I ken you have a good heart. ’Tis thoroughly hidden, but ’tis good.” “For pity’s sake, don’t tell anyone. My reputation will be in ruins.” 3 likes