Start by marking “The Making of a Mom: My Unexpected Journey Through Birth & Adoption” as Want to Read:
The Making of a Mom: My Unexpected Journey Through Birth & Adoption

The Making of a Mom: My Unexpected Journey Through Birth & Adoption

What defines motherhood? Is it the abilityto get pregnant and give birth to a child? The feeling of pure, selfless joythat bubbles up as your child discovers his or her world? Or could it be thefierce instinct to create a family--and the courage to keep that family safe atall costs?

Kimberly Severn felt a strong instinct to be amother. Even amidst the wonder of her first
Published May 8th 2019 by Longest Day Press

To ask other readers questions about The Making of a Mom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Making of a Mom

Start your review of The Making of a Mom: My Unexpected Journey Through Birth & Adoption
Jacob Johansen
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While this memoir centers on why adoption was the right choice—and a challenging choice—for one couple, the fight to complete a family is a compelling narrative for any parent, I think. Written in a clear and honest voice and punctuated with moments of sadness, humor, anger and joy, I found Making of a Mom absorbing and thoughtful from beginning to end. It is full of unique and real personalities interwoven in an engrossing story that travels between home, adoption agency, hospital, courthouse, ...more
Alaina Cunningham
Severn’s beautifully honest account of her journey to parenthood will resonate with every parent; no matter their chosen path to becoming parents. Well written, easy to follow, and will having you hugging your kids extra tight each night before bed.
Alina Panda
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kimberly Severn is a young woman who had planned out her life by the time she was 12. Her Quest to have a perfect life started early. Getting to her perfect life was very un-perfect. Nate, her husband, and her sat down with the Pastor for their pre-marital counseling sessions and she found out Nate did not want kids! She brushed it off when the question was directed at her and thought she would tackle the bump when they got there.

Kim always has a plan before she does anything. So she made sure
Jacob Johansen
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book about building a family

Lisa Richesson
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read!

An honest, open and compelling memoir from Kim Severn. Unable to carry another child after her son was born, she and her family decided to seek a second child through open adoption. She soon found the process arduous and emotionally fatiguing. Through clear writing and adept narrative, Ms. Severn takes her readers along as she navigates the often choppy waters that open adoption can bring, and shares the joy of welcoming a child into her family.
Kayo
Sep 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a journey this family took to complete their family. In-depth and very comprehensive, this book will delve into it all. I was a bit taken aback on how author talked a bit negatively about her daughters birth parents.
Tracy
Sep 17, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
**Book provided free for my review. Thank you Longest Day Press and Netgalley.*

I really wanted to like this book. I know a lot of adoptive families and people involved in adoption – more light on adoption is always a good thing.

But this book has no underlying theme and many plot threads are left hanging.

I think really it needs a strong editor and to backtrack all the way to the messaging meeting. It tries to be too many things, none of which get fleshed out. I was left frustrated and
Lori Misner
Sep 22, 2019
Denise Mair
rated it did not like it
Dec 12, 2019
Nov 17, 2019
susieqlaw
Nov 07, 2019
Kimberly Severn
Jun 08, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
jo c leightner
Jason
Dec 07, 2019
cecelia mahone
Dec 10, 2019

• The Journey for Mama's Babies: A Long Island couple's journey to adopt four biological siblings from Russia
  • Relinquished: When Love Means Letting Go
  • Clive and His Babies
  • It Can't Happen Here
  • The House at the End of the Road
  • Rage: The True Story of a Sibling Murder
  • The Boy Who Disappeared
  • Tin Man
  • Hill Women: Finding Family and a Way Forward in the Appalachian Mountains
  • When Mama Can't Kiss it Better: A Journey of Unconditional Love, Loss and Acceptance
  • Losing Hope And Finding Faith: An Adoption Memoir