Start by marking “Forbidden Fruit” as Want to Read:
Forbidden Fruit

Forbidden Fruit

A pair of big game hunters on an unsanctioned hunt through an African reserve learn too late the importance of following their guide’s directions.

"A quality read built on a plane not often presented." - Eddie Generous, author of Radio Run

"Demmer delivers with an outstanding premise that sucked me in immediately and followed it up with an implemented
Published June 20th 2019 by Demnation Press (first published January 4th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Forbidden Fruit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forbidden Fruit

Start your review of Forbidden Fruit
Candace Robinson
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a fast paced read that I thoroughly enjoyed! There was some weird, some great writing, and wonderful world building.
Latasha
Aug 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Don't eat the fruit!

A good quick read about a poaching trip gone wrong. I liked the setting at the end and peeks into that place and how the surrounding people dealt with it.
Valerie
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For me it’s hard to review a flash fiction/short story such as this without spoiling it for readers! If you are a fan of Mr. Demmer than you are aware of his methods! Another great story set in Africa involving a modern problem with the poachers encountering an old realm while trekking through the plains! Yes, there is forbidden fruit involved! Another amazing read from Calvin Demmer!
Steve Stred
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
** Edited as review is now live on Kendall Reviews! **

I’ve been singing Demmer’s praises ever since I read ‘The Sea Was a Fair Master’ last year. He has a gift for short stories that’s really unique. Taking a few pages of space but filling it with novel lengths of story and feelings.

In his latest short story, Demmer has visited a plotline that I haven’t read very often – poachers.

We follow two big game hunters, on a trip to illegal kill Rhino. They’ve hired th
Meghan (My World of Books)
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Another exquisite short story from Calvin Demmer! A fast-paced, creepy twist on the biblical tale of the lure of eating the “forbidden fruit”.
Tracy Robinson
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a quick short story from Demmer. I recently signed up for his newsletter and this was one of three stories sent for doing so.

The title of this does a decent job of giving the reader an idea of what's to come; forbidden fruit tales are as old as, well, Adam and Eve. I like Demmer's exploration of this. The characters are developed as much as needed for a story of this length and the action moves well.

I'm looking forward to checking out the rest of the stories soon!
Theresa Braun
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Demmer delivers in this creepy, easy-to-devour read, filled with atmosphere and suspense...
Amanda
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Haunting

This short story is a very unique, supernatural tale of the consequences of illegal hunts...and not listening to your guide. With just a touch of a supernatural element, this take is elevated to the next step of a thriller to something a bit darker. It is chilling and a bit eerie. A very good read.
Amy Schmid
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Fast paced, full of wonderfully weird fiction & creative world building.
S.E. Casey
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Calvin Demmer sets up a world within a world. An interesting parallel between the poachers disregard for the environment and the strange disturbance they stumble upon. Was a fast paced read with plenty of weird fiction elements to sink one's imagination into.
Josh reading
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great story by Calvin Demmer! I first read Calvin’s “The Sea Was a Fair Master” which is a collection of his flash fiction, earlier this year (highly recommended!). Calvin has the ability to do so much with such a short form. This story chronicles the actions of two hunters on the African plains and the consequences of their “excursion”. Really well done, was fun to try to figure out what was happening with the hunters. I look forward to reading more from Calvin, always a blast!
Terry Ross
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

It was a good short story but the ending was just too cut off. The tale seemed too much like the author just decided that he was done for the day and never came back too finish. I think it just needed more development. That being said it was worth developing into a longer story. What happened to him after? Was there any chance of redemption, an eye of the needle that he could pass through? Perhaps a way to earn a way back if not to heaven at least a way out of this purples skied limbo?
Kev Harrison
Jun 28, 2019
Eddie Generous
Apr 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unnerving Magazine Review
Forbidden Fruit is a quick action read with fantastical leanings. It’s a comeuppance tale with some easy targets to peg: damned poachers must face what’s coming to them.
The story takes place in the wilds of Africa and it isn’t long before the authorities trace the poachers. While on the run, hidden gods get a little pissed… any more than that, and I’m saying too much.
This story was fun and surprising at times, it had a few bumps, but nothing that took much s
Aiden Merchant
Cassie Lola (holo.reader)
Nov 05, 2019

• In The Scrape
  • The Pale White
  • Breaking The Habit (Short Sharp Shocks! Book 27)
  • Violet
  • The Dead Girls Club
  • One by One
  • Off Season (Dead River, #1)
  • Dreams of Lake Drukka & Exhumation (Short Sharp Shocks! #31)
  • To Be Devoured
  • Don't Scream: 60 Tales to Terrify
  • Remains
  • Husk
  • The Hungry Moon
Calvin Demmer is the author of The Sea Was a Fair Master and The Town That Feared Dusk. When not writing, he is intrigued by that which goes bump in the night and the sciences of our universe.