Jump to ratings and reviews

Your Truth or Mine?

Your Truth or Mine? is about the dark secrets couples keep from one another and how a marriage unravels, perfect for fans of Lauren North's The Perfect Betrayal and Lisa Jewell's Then She Was Gone.

At their wedding Mia and Roy Kapoor promised to love and cherish each other.

Whilst not perfect, their marriage is sacred and their commitment absolute.

But a knock at the door changes everything when Roy is questioned over the disappearance of a young woman.

But what if the real truth is not what they, or you, think?

445 pages, Kindle Edition

First published June 13, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Trisha Sakhlecha

2 books45 followers
Trisha Sakhlecha grew up in New Delhi and now lives in London. She works in fashion and is a graduate of the acclaimed Faber Academy writing course. In the past, Trisha has worked as a designer, trend forecaster, and lecturer. Your Truth or Mine? is her first novel.

Learn more about Trisha on trishasakhlecha.com or on Instagram @trishasakhlecha

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 120 reviews
Profile Image for Zoe.
1,747 reviews156 followers
September 4, 2019
Edgy, cunning, and pacey!

Your Truth or Mine? is a character-driven, domestic thriller that delves into the question how well do you really know anyone and highlights just how many secrets and lies people keep and tell to those closest to them.

The prose is tight and intense. The characters are vulnerable, crafty, and troubled. And the plot starts off with a bang and quickly unfolds into an ominous tale full of love, life, loss, deception, desperation, familial drama, manipulation, jealousy, obsession, violence, and murder.

Overall, Your Truth or Mine? is a dark, eerie, sophisticated tale by Sakhlecha that keeps you enthralled from the very first page and is undoubtedly an extremely promising debut.

Thank you to Publishers Group Canada for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Liz Barnsley.
3,385 reviews975 followers
April 10, 2019
A twisty psychological thriller and family drama here, highly readable and very engaging.
I really didn’t like EITHER of the people in this seemingly great marriage and for me that made the story beautifully addictive, also hugely real because we all have our faults and the fault lines in this particular relationship are fascinatingly dark.
Having said that I also came up with random moments of sympathy for both parties as a missing woman, hidden secrets and family loyalties divide the pair into separate warring factions…but are they being manipulated by a force as yet unseen?
This is a clever story, the author messes with perceptions beautifully, mostly within the characters of Roy and Mia, both too blinded by their own stubborn realities to see what’s going on around them.
Will the golden couple survive? Is one of them a killer? Where did Emily go? All questions will be asked and answered in a vividly written and intelligently plotted novel, a classic example of why this genre remains so popular.
Recommended .
182 reviews10 followers
December 13, 2019
This was a really good book. It started off really well and continued that way throughout the book. I didn’t really warm to any of the characters especially the two main ones but it didn’t change it for me. I’m glad that it was told by both Roy and Mia. It had a lot of twists and turns and it was very enjoyable. I can’t wait to read more from this author especially as the debut was so good. I’m interested to see what she comes up with next.
Profile Image for Johnna Whetstone.
752 reviews8 followers
June 17, 2019
Wow! I thought this was such a chilling and riveting read! I had a hard time setting it down and needed to know more! It’s one of those that starts in a way that makes it impossible to put down and continues to make sure that it’s done throughout the book! Lots of suspense, chills, thrills, and shocks! And so well written, because you feel what the characters feel! Recommend to those who love ones that I love!
Will be recommending to the members of Chapter Chatter Pub!
Profile Image for Melanie Garrett.
231 reviews29 followers
April 6, 2019
Your Truth or Mine is pacey and twisty and didn’t go where I thought it would - which is exactly what I want in a psychological.

To describe the web(s) of lies and deceit on offer here as complicated is to seriously underestimate this plot. I think I’m right in saying that every major character here is lying to at least one other character - as well as to themselves. I am trying to picture a Venn diagram of this and can only begin to imagine the plotting notes and diagrams that went into keeping this all straight. And yet, Ms Sakhlecha is so surefooted that I always knew where I was in the story, whose head I was in and, crucially, what they did and did not know at this point. Quite how she managed this is anyone’s guess!

Something else I really enjoyed was the sense of place. Although most of the novel takes place in London, early on, there is a gloriously evoked sequence in India. Against the backdrop of one couple’s wedding, another couples’ lives begin to unravel - although they won’t realise it for another few months. Ms Sakhlecha puts the setting to stunning use, giving us emotional turmoil and there-but-for-the-grace-of-God drunken lapses set against a kaleidoscope for the senses. You can really see this story playing out as a perfect TV drama series.

As you would expect, the stakes driving things forward here are all emotional. Somebody has what someone else wants. But we don’t always get what we want in this life, do we? And even if we do, will it really end up being everything we thought it was? (Not a spoiler alert: Of course it won't!)

When we meet Mia and Roy they are a couple in crisis with the police in their front room. This offers plenty of scope for questions about marriage and commitment. What makes a good one tick? Is there even such a thing? How can you glue a smashed one back together again? Even if you could, would you even want to? As an innocent bystander (or reader) what should I want them to want? I had definite views on this and will confess that the author had me quite worried for a while there near the end!

I am grateful to both the publisher and Netgalley for letting me have an advance look at this novel.
Profile Image for Sonali Dabade.
Author 4 books309 followers
January 21, 2020
A big thank you to Pan Macmillan India for the copy! I know I'm way, way too late in reviewing this one but I finally finished it and all I can say is 'OMG'! :)

Well, not really that. But I have a few thoughts about this book.

Trisha Sakhlecha's 'Your Truth or Mine?' is the story of Mia and Roy Kapoor, who are apparently in a happy marriage. But things are not what they seem to be. When a young woman, Emily Barnett, disappears and the police end up at their door, questioning Roy about it, everything that Mia had known is thrown up into the air with a mighty blast. The life that she has known isn't exactly what it is. And now, Mia has to come to terms with herself, her life, and the confusion that her situation is bringing upon her.

I want to say this before I say anything else: I hate Roy and people like him.

Now that that's out of the way, I must say that this 500-odd page book is full of so many twists and turns and made me angry so many times that I just wanted to rip these people apart. It's psychologically draining in its own way because of the effort it takes to see the events in this book objectively. Easy to read, yet not so easy to read, 'Your Truth or Mine?' is a dark thriller of sorts that will pull you in, turn you into a character in the plot, and mess with your mind in ways that you would never deem possible!

But I feel like the book is way too long, given its contents, and some of it becomes repetitive after a while. I understand the author wanted to reiterate things, but it probably could have done without it all. Plus, one of the characters' threads don't tie up at the end. We don't get to know their thoughts, which would have made for a very intriguing read, given how they turned out throughout the book.

Other than that, I really enjoyed the roller-coaster that was 'Your Truth or Mine?' and would highly recommend it if you're looking for something that will mess with your mind!
Profile Image for Inn Auni.
1,017 reviews18 followers
October 11, 2020
The story was told in two point if views, Mia and Roy. The writer portrayed them as a happy couple early on until a knock on their door and a missing girl.

The thing about this book, it felt like the writer was trying too hard not to take any side. Probably wanted readers to make their own judgement.

Mia was an example of a character that you badly wanted to root but, the more you know her, the more you realized she kind of deserve it for being stupid.

I'm going to throw a spoiler here. She saw her father physically abusing her mother but, decided to beg/force him to return to them the next day. What the heck was that about? Was she stupid? Was her mother stupid? You don't shield your child from the cruelty of the world. You taught them to brave it.

I'm not even going to talk about Roy. If Mia was stupid, then Roy was plain dumb. And I like the ending. A sweet revenge from Mia to Roy.
Profile Image for Priya Shrinath.
315 reviews14 followers
October 21, 2019
This domestic thriller has several layers to it than I'd expected and I'm not quite sure where to begin with.

The story revolves around Mia and Roy, a married couple based in London with Indian roots. As the story progresses, we get a glimpse of their marriage, the lies, betrayal, ignorance between the couple from each other's perspective, yet not so clearly. The tension between the characters are vivid and unavoidable and that suspense is enough to keep the readers hooked through the very short, and very crispy chapters of this dark and compulsive domestic thriller.

It's hard to believe that this book is a debut from the author. Being a reader who've read and mused on various types of thrillers over the years, Trisha Sakhlecha's words essentially captured my attention throughout the entire time I spent with the book, and never once did I get bored or guess what's coming next. And oh that twist in the climax - DEFINITELY did not see that one coming!!

As I said earlier, there were several layers tangled into this book. Carefully structured, this book is highly character driven, and as you sink deeper and deeper into the book, it's hard to see outside of the characters and definitely impossible to link the clues the author had been dropping very subtly all along!

Shuffling between India and UK, the book is also atmospheric in every aspect. Trisha does a brilliant job using her multicultural experience in her descriptions of an Indian wedding, family dramas, life in London, fancy jobs, secrets, depression, infidelity and many other psychological aspects to make her debut a brilliant thriller masterpiece.

All my thanks to Pan Macmillan India for the book in exchange for my honest opinion. All thoughts and opinions are solely mine and in no way biased.
Profile Image for Justkeepreading.
1,756 reviews70 followers
April 5, 2019
Mia and Roy have been married for a while now. When they got married they promised to have and to hold each other in the good times and the bad. Sure their love has had its rocky moments but on the whole it has been a happy marriage. They tell each other everything and have no secrets. At least that’s what Mia thinks until that fateful day when they get a knock on the door and Roy is taken into custody over the disappearance of a woman that he knows.

Suddenly their life is unravelling at the seams. Does Mia really know her husband as well as she thinks she does? Is he part of the disappearance of this woman? And is their lives together built on lies? Mia ends up questioning everything that her husband has ever told her. Determined to find out what the truth is and if Roy has any involvement in this crime. But could there be some more dark and sinister than anyone could think of going on? It is up to us to try and unravel that truth about what has actually happened.

As a debut novel this book is fantastic. Is is dark and original. It has plenty of twist and turns to keep the reader engaged and try to guess along the way. It is a story of love, lies and has an ending that is very hard to predict. If you like a good thriller then this book is for you. Highly recommend.
Profile Image for Holly.
371 reviews5 followers
September 7, 2022
I really enjoyed this book - read it in 3 days! It does ask some very intricate questions (as the title implies)...........Not all things 'seem' as they truly are..........and throughout this book, the Author has made the reader question- What really is the truth?
Mia and Roy Kapoor promised to love each other. Mia saw the marriage through one set of eyes, yet Roy seemed to see it totally from a different perspective. And - as we know, once there is a crack in the veneer - it leaves a space for one person to fall through......
This all changes one evening when there is a knock on the door and investigators ask if they can enter the home. They wish to chat with Roy about a missing woman. A woman apparently that Roy knows (knew??) intimately. The crack in the veneer widens!
From here, life unravels as we discover that not everything we 'thought' to be true - actually was. A façade is not ever the truth. Their marriage and their commitment now becomes tested as there is a discovery which tears Mia's world apart. However, let me warn the reader - the end is never over until the very, very end! Enjoy the ride!
Profile Image for Susan Atkin.
557 reviews8 followers
July 8, 2019
I was enjoying this and got in to it straight away. Chapter after chapter kept me interested and I liked how short they were. The ending was a big let down though, very disappointing and such an anticlimax. Spoilt it for me.
Profile Image for Jade Wright.
Author 5 books198 followers
March 17, 2020
4/5 stars for Your Truth or Mine by Trisha Sakhlecha.

I was savoring every page of this book because it was the only one I'd brought with me to my move to Europe. I can't have many books on the boat (lack of space in my little cabin). So it took me a lot longer than usual to get through it. I was scared to finish it and not have another book to keep me going! The horror! But then I received a lovely gift, the first George R. R. Martin book, A Games of Thrones. A whopping seven hundred and something page chunker of a book to REALLY keep me going... so, I flew through the second half of Your Truth Or Mine, picked up my usual reading pace. But let me start with the first half of Your Truth Or Mine...
My truth? The first half of this book was such a slow burn and when people asked me what I thought of the book, I told them quite frankly, I was bored with it... but I take it back! I take it ALLLLL back. While this book isn't without its problems, holy crapioli was the second half redeeming!
This book is about a seemingly happily married couple, Mia and Roy Kapoor. Everything is going pretty great in their lives until one day there's a knock on their door and two detectives are asking Roy questions about a young woman's disappearance.
It's a story of love, deceit, lies, betrayal, trauma...
That's all I'm going to say about this one with regards to the premise!
I LOVE me a good domestic thriller, it's one of my favorite genres. Your Truth Or Mine was a twisted, psychological maze! Some parts (one in particular) were pretty gruesome and I actually battled to read through it (trigger warning for animal cruelty!). It was CHILLING. Darker than I had expected. It's the kind of book that made me want to stay up until I'd finished the very last page, which isn't often I must say... and I really wasn't expecting to like this book as much as I did because the first half of the book wasn't as captivating. But I urge you to persevere.

I loved the Indian culture peppered throughout the pages.
On a whole, the characters were so fleshed out. They each had their own intricate side stories making it easy to get to know them on a deeper level. That made the book seem eerily real. The plot itself was great and the subplots created an entire world! Very cleverly constructed.
Mia as one of our protagonists was exceptionally annoying. The typical unreliable narrator. Voices in her head. Major psychological damage. She jumped to conclusions so quickly.. she just really irked me to the core.
Roy as the other main character - I wanted to rip him out from the pages and slap him myself. Men like him should be castrated. Enough said.
The overall twist at the end: I figured it out a page or two before it all unraveled. Perhaps one too many clues were sprinkled in for my liking so I didn't get that MASSIVE shock factor but then I read TONS of thrillers and figure things out pretty easily now so for someone newer to the genre, you may just be VERY shocked by this ending! It was good. Very good. Perhaps a little bit repetitive and there WERE a few storylines that I felt were forgotten about or unfinished (ahem.. George!?) but
for a debut novel, this book is fabulous and I cannot wait to read more by the author.
Profile Image for Bridget.
2,724 reviews92 followers
March 24, 2020
My three-word description of Your Truth or Mine? by Trisha Sakhlecha is captivating, edgy and cunning.

I found this compelling and hugely entertaining. It is a delightful tale of fiction with frissons of suspense, chills and eeriness. Married couple Mia and Roy Kapoor are totally committed to each other. But when a young woman is found dead, Roy becomes the prime, and only, suspect. As Roy and Mia’s life unravels, they must question everything they know about each other if their marriage is to survive.

This domestic thriller questions how well you really know anyone and highlights the extent to which some people harbour secrets and tell lies to their nearest and dearest. This was such a dark, sophisticated tale by Trisha Sakhlecha that kept me enthralled from the very first page. The plot begins with a blast and quickly unfolds into an ominous story with frissons of love, loss, deception, drama, manipulation, jealousy, obsession, violence, and murder. The author writes the masterfully fleshed out characters displaying various personality traits - those of vulnerability, craftiness, and susceptibility.

This is an ambitious offering from a début novelist that measures up as an engaging and thought-provoking read. Overall, I had no issues with Your Truth or Mine? and it bedazzled me!

I received a complimentary copy of this novel from Pan Macmillan via NetGalley at my request, and this review is my own unbiased opinion.
Profile Image for Gayatri Saikia   | per_fictionist .
472 reviews70 followers
August 17, 2019
Told between the alternating POV's between husband and wife Mia and Roy, Your Truth or mine is a twisty and addictive psychological thriller. Saklecha's debut has almost all the components I primarily look for in a moody mystery : be it an unreliable narrator, a well placed plot, adequate back story or an unpredictable climax.

The events that unravel in India and London take place in a duration of three months but are actually a repercussion of actions that have their roots sink in deep. The story uncovers with the disappearance of Roy's colleague Emily and the secrets and lies that unfolds following the event.

The first part of the book takes us in a journey to India following Addi, Mia's sister's marriage and all the events that occured. This portion read like a general adult fiction rather than a mystery and I had some issues regarding the pace. Most of the events felt irrelevant and except from a few that gave us a glimpse of the mental stability of the protagonist. However, this was what I thought and if you like stories that build up slow and steady you will absolutely root for this.

The second part however had a sharp and thrilling pace and definitely quenched my thirst for a cozy mystery. The author beautifully binds the elements of the past with familial ties and keeps you on the edge throughout. Sakhlecha offers bits and pieces of secrets with every chapter that builds up for a irrefutable climax.

The inclusion of an emotional scene at the end was one of the best closures I have come across in psychological thrillers.
Profile Image for Stephanie (earlgreyreads).
292 reviews12 followers
November 3, 2019
Mia and Roy Kapoor are living somewhat happily in London, having been married for many years, when there is a knock from a police officer at the door. Suddenly Roy is being questioned about the disappearance of one of his younger, female coworkers. Mia finds out that he lied to her about where he was last week and he knows more than he is letting on. What else is he hiding? I can't say much more about this book without giving it away! It's best to go into it not knowing what to expect, and just enjoy the read!

Your Truth, or Mine is a very interesting, suspenseful, slow burn thriller about the break down of a marriage. There are twists, family secrets revealed, and deceiving characters! I found the beginning scenes regarding Mia's sister's marriage in India to be a bit drawn out. However it is very interesting to learn about the Indian wedding customs, and to get to know the characters before the drama really starts. I had no idea where this was going, and was surprised by the final twists in the end. There are also some tense moments that will have you watching your back! I would definitely recommend this one for a dark, thought-provoking, domestic suspense.

1 review
March 30, 2019
Your Truth or Mine? Is an excellent novel by Trisha Sakhlecha. I have to admit I am not a major fan of thrillers, but when I started reading this book, I was so hooked, I sat for twelve hours straight to finish it.

What I particularly love about Your Truth or Mine? is how it switches the narration between its lead protagonists, literally giving you their respective versions of truth. The writing is very creative, full of powerful imagery and has an interesting play with paradoxical language. My personal favourite is how the key female characters are tied together by the imagery and symbolism of ocean.

The plot is sharp and consistent, carefully weaving together all the different strands of the story. The final twist is cleverly built up and therefore unforeseeable. Through the characters’ journeys, the writer gives a deeper and almost scary insight into the human psyche and our ability to distort memory- this left me thinking for a long time.

Your Truth or Mine? is an experiential read, it took me through moments of nostalgia, laughter, doubt, shock and an impatient curiosity. Just because of the sheer excitement it generates, the book is a fast read. Recommended strongly for thriller lovers and especially great for those who are introducing themselves to this genre. I look forward to more writing by Trisha Sakhlecha. What an exciting debut!
Profile Image for Shruti Ramanujam.
227 reviews71 followers
August 11, 2019
I love psychological thrillers to the point where I've become quite adept at guessing the ending right in the beginning. But in Your Truth or Mine, I did not see the final twist coming at all.

This is the kind of book you read when the weather's chilly and you have a lot of time. You just won't be able to put it down until the last page is turned!

Read the entire review on This is Lit.
Profile Image for Linda Richardson.
376 reviews9 followers
June 22, 2019
I was blown away by this deceptively slow burning psychological thriller. Similar to Clare Mackintosh’s “I Let You Go”, this novel’s first part isn’t very suspenseful, but trust me you need to savor every word to properly appreciate Trisha Sakhlecha’s debut. Part Two gives you bunch of surprises, but throughout the author doesn’t give you a single hint to prepare you for the shocking ending. A solid 5 star book. #YourTruthOrMine
1,183 reviews34 followers
August 1, 2020
More like 3.5 stars
Mia and Roy are an Indian British couple who are hiding secrets from each other. It’s your typical domestic thriller with plenty of family drama, infidelity and secrets of course.

I liked the multicultural characters and the unexpected ending.
Profile Image for Mary Wilson.
102 reviews
June 20, 2021
This was a mix of cultures which I found very interesting. The two main characters were Roy, whose arrogance was definitely his downfall and Mia, whose inner turmoil almost destroyed her. As the book went on I found I couldn't put it down.
2 reviews
April 5, 2019
Your Truth or Mine - in short an amazing book with a great storyline! It keeps you on the edge of your seat wondering what's next. The plot is gripping and makes you go back and forth and you keep changing your theories till the end! A must read!
2 reviews
March 31, 2019
Fantastic book.Amazing twists.Was so engrossed reading the book that I sat up late to finish it.T
ried guessing the end, but no way. Truly an amazing book.
Profile Image for Nicole.
1,352 reviews
October 20, 2019
I have been on a break from domestic thrillers recently and decided to pick this up. I was interested mainly because it features an Indian or inter racial couple, I could not tell from the summary at the back.

As I delved in, I really enjoyed the parts of Indian culture and their weddings. Mia and Roy seem like a happy couple until Roy cheats on her and things start going downhill. This book is very dramatic and to the point of feeling sensationalised. I was reading it the way I would watch reality TV, knowing it was trash but finding it entertaining.

I enjoyed Mia at first, she resonated with me with her super organiser personality. She seemed like a person to look up to but then her family and relationship drama became too much. Combine that with mental health problems and this was a recipe for disaster.

I was rolling my eyes at Roy as he makes one bad decision after another. There was an interesting dynamic where Mia earns more than Roy. The guy has issues and family drama. The author was quite smart to make me doubt both of their POVs. There is tons of twists and turns till the final reveal. It was not bad but I felt like I had since it before and it felt convuluted.

The way Mia and Roy handle their relationships with their parents was same but different. Mia idolises her father while Roy hates his. The contrast was interesting. But I liked how the author touches on the fact that a person may seem like your perfect one at first but it isn't always so rosy as time goes by. I see that alot in domestic thrillers and it fascinates me. How things seem so perfect between a couple at first then it starts to crumble. How can we not see the flaws till later? People have flaws, demons and negative points, that is real life.

Overall, good writing, okay characters, unbelievable plot.
Profile Image for Effy.
294 reviews7 followers
January 9, 2021
𝐓𝐢𝐭𝐥𝐞: Your truth or mine?
𝐀𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫: Trisha Sakhlecha
𝐆𝐞𝐧𝐫𝐞: Suspense/domestic fiction
𝐏𝐚𝐠𝐞𝐬: 445
𝐒𝐭𝐚𝐫 𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠: 4/5 ★

This book was incredibly gripping, I literally couldn’t put it down. The plot takes so many twists and turns, and shocks you every time you think you’ve cracked the story. You genuinely feel for the situation the wife is in which I think really sucks you into the story. It switches between the two main characters point of view in very short chapters which made it an easy read. The only reason for 4 stars and not 5 was the ending - was very unexplained and left me frustrated.
June 15, 2019
It was such a gripping psycho thriller!! Just could NOT put it down. And the end twist just blew my mind! It truly deserves ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Profile Image for Hope of  Readers World.
114 reviews6 followers
September 21, 2021
They sit watching the clouds gather
Quietly over the valley
Puckering the sky, guarding
The peaks, hiding
Joys and catastrophes within
The earth craves the sun
And the moon the earth
Strangers yesterday, lovers today
Known phrases float from unknown lips
Not even the clouds know
If they harbour rain

Storyline –

'Truth' and 'Loyalty' are not difficult subjects; the difficulty lies in misunderstanding the signals, and having unfaithful nature. I want to say that what you see with your eyes is not necessarily real. Our eyes don’t see truth always. The same thing goes for this book of Your truth or mine.

It is a story young couple Mia and Roy Kapoor who promised to love and cherish each other in the end. Like any ordinary couple, their married life is also perfect but not so perfect in reality. It is a perfect book to read if you want to have some thrilling reading experience with the insane plot twist & turn to draw your energy while reading it.

In the first two pages, you can sense the nervousness in Roy’s behavior as if he had done something wrong. I personally don’t like men like Roy who cannot think wisely before doing something. They never think about their actions in the first place, and the consequences coming with actions. Firstly, they do the mistakes then regret and feel guilty towards their lovers but after some time they repeat the same mistakes. The cycle of lies and betrayal begins. They find a way to manipulate themselves and then pretend as if nothing happened. There is nothing wrong with seeing another woman behind their wife’s back as long it doesn’t harm their marriage. They think their wives are stupid; they won’t be able to figure out what exactly going on behind their back. So stupid of them their wives can sense everything before men can know it.

Conclusion –

A thriller read which will you keep on a hook without a break. It will mentally exhaust you. Frankly speaking, I am not satisfied with how the story ends. I think the end can be more interesting as the whole story was filled with plot twists & turns which grip me into reading this book.

Profile Image for Rakhi Jayashankar.
Author 2 books93 followers
September 5, 2019
The plot unravels when Roy is questioned for the missing of a woman. As the investigation proceeds, Mia realises that she doesn't know the man who she loved madly loved. She realises that while she took all the preparations to give him a warm and sensuous welcome post his business trips, he was not truthful her. On the other hand Roy loves Mia and considers her the priced possession in his life. The matters gets further complicated as Mia had her demons to fight with, those that she had hidden from even Roy. What changed the equation between the two of them? What happened to the young woman?

The plot develops in different levels. There is Roy's childhood, his family that is difficult to cope with, there is Mia's scary childhood, her inability to cope with her father's death. The book explains deftly how the lack of communications and inability to be honest with each other spoils relationships and author has taken it a step ahead by the mystery and suspense. It could not be counted as a far fetched one as we have witnessed several murders wherein the background lies infidelity and secrets that are uncalled for.
Too many twists is something that is risky for an author for it could end up confusing the reader thereby dropping the interest. But here the author has placed each sub plot carefully such that the shift to the past is seamless and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. Characters hold an important role in holding the interest of the reader. All characters are complete. There is not miss goody two shoes. There are no irresistible handsome hunks. The twist in the climax is completely unexpected which justifies the lag in the first half.

Mia's part is given more space in the plot. While Mia succumbs to whatever happens in her life, readers would not be able to help feeling empathetic to her but the part where she in a psychological hollow seems a bit long, and hence the plot ends up losing the proportion of the pace. Barring this, the books is a treat to the literature lovers.
Profile Image for Pgchuis.
1,881 reviews18 followers
June 26, 2019
I received a copy of this novel from the publisher via NetGalley.

3.5* rounded up.

This opens with the police coming to question Roy about the disappearance of an assistant he has worked with called Emily. Immediately there are clues that Roy has been lying to Mia. Then the narrative flashes back a few months to Mia and Roy helping to host the wedding of Mia's sister in India.The author gradually describes the deceptions Roy practises on Mia, but also the secrets Mia has been keeping from him (and the truths about her childhood which she has not recognized). It is only at the very end that the facts surrounding Emily's fate are cleared up.

I found this engrossing and the steady drip-feed of revelations was not too irritating, especially as Roy was reluctant to come clean for obvious reasons and Mia was (intentionally or not) lying to herself about certain things. The Indian setting for the wedding and the depictions of Mia and Roy's relationships with their own and each other's parents rang very true. Neither Mia nor Roy was a likeable character, and (while this was linked to her childhood experiences) Mia seemed unnaturally determined to cling to her marriage, especially as she was continually being held up as a career-minded, independent woman.

I was kept guessing right until the end as to how the author was going to bring everything together and make sense of the various plot strands, but she managed it!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 120 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.