Start by marking “Flames Over Frosthelm” as Want to Read:
Flames Over Frosthelm

Flames Over Frosthelm

Sometimes, your case takes a left turn. Or three or four. Marten Mingenstern and Boog Eggstrom are provisional inspectors, fresh out of Inquisitor’s Guild training and eager to prove themselves. Assigned the mundane task of tracking down stolen jewels, they instead uncover a mysterious cult set on destroying the city. After a thief explodes, they earn the enmity of a ...more
Published June 12th 2019

Start your review of Flames Over Frosthelm
The Mysterious Reader
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Marten Mingenstern and Boog Eggstrom are provisional inspectors, fresh out of Inquisitor’s Guild training and eager to prove themselves.”

I was hooked right there and had not even read the book yet. There’s magic in this world, but as with most fantasy tales it’s limited to the rare few. Mingenstern and Eggstrom are not among those few. Instead, think of them as rookie cops going about their jobs, lots of boredom punctuated by action, even deadly at times (only its swords not guns), and then -
Evelynn
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Come for the fantasy, stay for the fun

I have been subscribed to a few mailing lists that offer review opportunities and I have never bothered to do it before. I can't even say what inspired me to request this book, I just felt compelled to fill out the form and I'm so glad I did (thanks me of the past!)

I was not expecting this book to be so funny. Fighting, magic, intrigue...yes, but hilarious...no. But there I was, in the very first action scene actually laughing out loud about chicken (read
Thad
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow -- this might have been the most plain-out enjoyable read among all the last 100 or so books I've read to a finish! I absolutely loved Dave's use of words and sense of humor. I was having so much fun, I promised myself that after finishing FOF I'd pick up many more of his books. Imagine my surprise to find out that this was his first published book -- I was convinced from the quality of this book that he must have honed his skills over many previous ones.
So, extremely well done, Dave, and
Sylvie Parris
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just loved Marty and Boog, how they each had strengths and weaknesses and how well suited they were for their partnership. The plot kept me interested as well as the characters who were wonderfully diverse.

I was also delighted to see that the author had created a world where men and women tended to hold roles based on ability, not gender, and that strongest females were women with years on them. You don't see that much.
Bryan Warf
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the best first novels that an author has written that I've read. The story was very original, the writing extremely well polished, and the characters interesting and very engaging. The plot kept moving at a perfect pace, and I just couldn't put it down. It was the first book I binged in quite a while (I took some time off work to even finish it!). The originality of the world, the characters, and the story were extremely refreshing. I highly recommend it.
Belinda Richee
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book!

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It has realistic loveable characters, a fast !moving plot that has a lot of humor and action without lots of graphic sex, suitable for most readers. It's a complete story on its own without the need of a sequel, but with room for one. I hate cliff hangers! Hopefully wont take 14 years for #2 !
Elizabeth Heller
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great fun, good plot and many laughs

This was a wild ride though an interesting world. Detectives, court drama, monsters- what else could you want? Plus Dave’s sense of humor shines through everywhere. Highly recommend, and can’t wait for the sequel.
Katy Surber
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dang that was good!

Great characters and so plot equally as engaging! I really hope there is a sequel. No cliffhangers. Appropriate reading for all ages without seeming juvenile.
Kim
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, just wow. An amazing read. Don’t miss this book.

I loved this story even though it was more intense than I usually read. He created tons of chaos without getting gory, that’s impressive. I hope the sequel doesn’t take 20 years!
Betsy Beard
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read the book and share the joy!

Great characters, great story and all the laughing along the way made it a book I have to read again. And there's to be a sequel
Bruce McLennan
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Flames Over Frosthelm is good fun and well written. These days my key parameters for judging books are ease of reading, originality, character development, humour and a good ending. It doesn't matter what the genre is, if the book has all these it is going to be okay. And this one is okay.

Do yourself a favour and download it.
Kimberly Scearce-levie
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dave Dobson’s first novel brings a few new twists to a well-crafted swords-and-sorcery adventure. Fusing fantasy with detective fiction and a buddy cop road trip, Dave introduces us to Marty and Boog, odd-couple partners and members of the Inquisitor’s Guild. Their investigation of a jewelry heist quickly embroils them in a bizarre conspiracy that could end the world. Which would be a pity, because the world of Frosthelm is uniquely egalitarian in the realms of fantasy, peopled with strong women ...more
Jacqueline Farmer
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Flames Over Frosthelm is a terrific, otherworldly tale. Though it is full of suspense and a little violence, it is also a book with a hilarious narrator who never misses a chance to throw in a joke or pun that will make you howl with laughter. It’s an odd mixture of mystery, fun and, of course, a little romance along the way. The story has as many female villains and heroes as male, a balance rarely found most novels. I enjoyed this complex story rich with characters exhibiting special mystical
Kristen Korkowski
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun characters, hilarious writing, and a really intriguing premise and central mystery. Flames Over Frosthelm was a good balance between gripping suspense and light-hearted/comedic traditional style fantasy. I really enjoyed this book and look forward to whatever Dave Dobson has in store for us next!
Paul
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
3.5 stars really but I'm being nice today. :)

I liked it, cool setting, likable characters and the usual save the world story (but done with a twist I must say). My main gripe with the book is that it can't decide if it want to be a YA novel or not so it's something in between. At time things get over-explained and love is about holding hands and exchange kisses. Come on! Lots of violence though, probably a bit more than in your typical YA book.

It starts out more as a fantasy mystery solving book
Carl Berger
Jan 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Almost makes it

Wish it weren’t so artificially complex. Great concept, excellent characters an good plot and yet held back by too much extra cliches. Still, overall, an interesting read!
Svetlana
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Started well, somewhere around middle of the book became crazy and (dare I say?) boring and predictable.
David Wollaston
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
This is a fantastic and original fantasy! The story engages you from the start, and carries you straight through. Not wanting to give out any spoilers, and not being one who typically writes reviews- all I can say is that I have read literally thousands of fantasy novels and I really enjoyed reading this book! I will wholeheartedly recommend it to any looking for a great read!
Ihenacho Ohochukwu
Keith Owens
Oct 28, 2019
Bill Ramsell
Dec 01, 2019

• The Call of the Sylvana (The Sylvan Chronicles Book 2)
  • The Raptor of the Highlands (The Sylvan Chronicles Book 3)
  • The Legend of the Kestrel (The Sylvan Chronicles #1)
  • King in Waiting (Lord Edward's Archer, #2)
  • The Choice of Magic (Art of the Adept, #1)
  • Rogue (Shadow Brigade #1)
  • The Lords of the Wind  (The Saga of Hasting the Avenger, #1)
  • Castilian Knight (Reconquista Chronicles #1)
  • Skeleton with a Heart (Death Knight #1)
  • Stranger from Another Land (erilaR, #1)
  • The Lure of Infinity (Bridgers, #1)
  • Gods and Psychopaths
  • Ice Dragon: An Epic Fantasy Adventure (The Dragon Misfits Book 1)
  • A Sellsword's Hope (The Seven Virtues #7)
  • God of Death (Casca, #2)
  • The Eternal Mercenary (Casca, #1)
  • The War Lord (Casca, #3)
  • Saint Odd (Odd Thomas, #7)