Start by marking “The Love Story of Missy Carmichael” as Want to Read:
The Love Story of Missy Carmichael

The Love Story of Missy Carmichael

The world has changed around Missy Carmichael. At seventy-nine, she's estranged from her daughter, her son and only grandson live across the world in Australia, and her great love is gone. Missy spends her days with a sip of sherry, scrubbing the kitchen in her big empty house and reliving her past--though it's her mistakes, and secrets, that she allows to shine brightest. ...more
Published April 7th 2020 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about The Love Story of Missy Carmichael, please sign up.
Danielle Tolbird The basic premise is similar, but the overall tone is completely different. An old curmudgeon with no friends slowly becomes friends with neighbors. O…moreThe basic premise is similar, but the overall tone is completely different. An old curmudgeon with no friends slowly becomes friends with neighbors. Ove has a cat. Missy has a dog. Where I found A Man Called Ove heartwarming and humorous, The Love Story of Missy Carmichael was just sad. Ove lost the love of his life. Missy's relationship with her husband was strained and full of conflict.(less)
Jackie Smith I'm guessing that this is similar to the situation in Canada. There are retirement homes that are covered by the government, the cost is covered by wh…moreI'm guessing that this is similar to the situation in Canada. There are retirement homes that are covered by the government, the cost is covered by whatever your old-age pension is. There are also privately run homes which are usually very expensive, especially for Alzheimer patients. They are a lot nicer than the government-run homes and Missy wanted to keep him in that home because it was close to her home and she could visit often and as she said, he seemed to be happy there. (less)

Start your review of The Love Story of Missy Carmichael
Nilufer Ozmekik
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Boo hoo, waahhh… Boo hoo, argghhkk! Somebody sledgehammered my heart, broke into tiny particles and buried into ground! I’m in deep pain and whining, crying like a baby! And I’m in the mall now! Everybody’s looking for me. I know you will ask me why the hell I read the final chapters of the book in the public place if it is so devastatingly sad story.

Well, I was waiting my friends to have a lunch break. They occupied in work places so I carried this book not to get bored and do something useful
*TUDOR^QUEEN*
Jun 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For some reason I kept pushing this off to the side, and even thought of the potential for not giving feedback. My word... I don't know what I was thinking because this beautifully crafted story over achieved any expectation I had for it!

Millicent (Missy) Carmichael is 79 years old. She lives by herself in a large, stately home in Stoke Newington, a village-like residential area of London. She's very much missing her husband Leo, whose mysterious illness is touched upon throughout the book. She
Phrynne
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-2019
It took me a while to get into this book and I certainly had little sympathy in the beginning for Missy. All that changed however as the book progressed.

The story begins when we first meet Missy. She is 79 years old, her husband is gone, her son and family live in Australia and she has fallen out with her daughter. She is sad and lonely and not really coping. As events take over and her situation changes chapters from the past are introduced and we find out exactly how much she has to deal with.
PattyMacDotComma
“And it was still hard, being in the park, without remembering Leo. He was a great believer in a constitutional; enjoyed belittling self-important joggers and jovially berating cyclists.”

Millicent Carmichael is a lonely old lady who’s been feeling sorry for herself and sticking pretty much to her own company. But she’s making a bit of an effort to get out of the house, and what do you know? Someone strikes up a conversation and invites her to join them for a coffee.

“I still didn’t have much t
Collin
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Missy opens her morning paper and immediately flips to the obituaries. David Bowie has died.

“At my age, reading obituaries is a generational hazard, contemporaries dropping off, one by one; each announcement an empty chamber in my own little revolver. For a while I tried to turn a blind eye, as if ignoring death could somehow fob it off. But people kept dying and other people kept writing about it, and some perverse imp obliged me to keep up to date.”

Missy had finally made her mind up to go to t
Mandy White
Saving Missy is a book that is going to talked about a lot in 2020. It is a fantastic debut novel and I look forward to seeing what Beth Morrey has for us next. This book was a slow bulrn for me, it took a while for me to become fully invested in the story and characters but once I was there it was hard to put down. It did make a change from the thrillers that I usually read and I really enjoyed it - even if it did make me cry!!

Missy Carmichael is 79, lives in London and is lonely. Her children
Corina
The entire book was endearing in so many ways. It was also emotional, and I cried at one particular scene. It had many tender moments but also so many LOL dialogues. And most of all it was full of Britishness, which I adore.

Let’s get started:

THE BOOK WAS FULL OF FANTASTIC CHARACTERS.

From the main character Missy, an old woman, with secrets, and a drinking problem, and someone who pretty much gave up on life and life’s wonderful moments. To all the new friends she made throughout the book. I love
Marialyce
Jun 19, 2020 rated it liked it

This was a nice story about a 79 year old woman who comes to terms with what she was and what she can be through remembrances, newly acquired friends, and reconnecting with those she loved.

It was a calm story with gentle telling and was a fine way to pass a number of hours on a long car ride.

Thank you to Edelweiss for a copy of this story.
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
The book started out really strong and good. The writing style is good and the characters seem realistic.
However, I feel like the characters are not developed good enough for a character driven plot. The side characters are unlikeable chatty women we all know in real life. The characters seem a bit too detached even after chapters after chapters of knowing their stories.

I wanted the dog or the stories of the kids/children or the grandchildren parts to be a bit more comforting (I got the comfor
Kylie H
Having started this book with no expectations I was very pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Millicent "Missy' Carmichael is about to turn 80, and feeling very isolated and depressed. Through a series of events Missy soon discovers that in order to make friends she just needs to be herself and let people in.
The characters in this book are absolutely delightful. They each bring something to Missy to help her forgive herself and to mend the relationships with her two children that appea
Darinda
Apr 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Missy Carmichael is an English woman in her late 70s. She lives in the home she once shared with her husband and children. Now, her husband is gone, her son lives in Australia, and she is estranged from her daughter. Missy is set in her ways, asocial, and somewhat depressed.

Told using flashbacks, Missy's life story is revealed. The pieces of her past help explain her current life and behavior. Missy is hard to like, but the more of her that is revealed, the more I cared about her.

Missy is lonely
Veronica ⭐️
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, harper
*https://theburgeoningbookshelf.blogsp...
Missy Carmichael is an elderly widow feeling the desolate loneliness of a large empty house now that her husband is no longer with her and her two children have moved on with their lives. Son Alistair is living in Australia and keeps in touch via email but Missy is finding it hard to have anything interesting to email about. Whilst her daughter, Melanie, lives closer their relationship is strained after an argument and they very rarely have contact.

There
Laura • lauralovestoread
The Love Story of Missy Carmichael was such an endearing and heartfelt story that I’m thinking of bumping it up. This was such a wonderful debut, and I loved the character development that Beth Morrey creates in Missy Carmichael.⁣

While I didn’t find Missy to be of the same vein as Eleanor Oliphant that she is compared to, my heart went out to her because she is sad and lonely missing the great love of her life. Not only is her husband gone but her son has also moved away to Australia, and her r
Marianne
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Surveying the boxes, chests and trunks - the leftovers of lost lives: Fa-Fa, Jette, my mother and father, Leo, even Alistair and Mel, since they’d begun new lives elsewhere – I fancied I could hear the echo of them all in their things.”

Saving Missy is the first novel by British author, Bath Morrey. Now that dear her son Alistair and her sweet little grandson Arthur have returned to Australia after their Christmas visit, Missy can admit to herself that she is desperately lonely. Their big house
Jeanette Lewis
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Harper Collins Publishers and Netgalley for the opportunity to read and review this electronic ARC.

This is a delightful book, the demographics will mostly appeal to older readers, parents who have survived teenagers and young adults holding breath for the moment when they leave home! Ahh! the tranquility.

However, the thought of the empty nest is not a joyous one for the main character, Missy (Millicent) who is similar to those women who have given up all ideas of a career after hav
Susan Johnson
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My new quest is to read more about older people embracing life and this certainly fills the bill. If you don't feel better after reading about this plucky 79 year old woman then you have a heart of stone. Missy Carmichael has made plenty of mistakes in her life but she picks herself up and opens up to the possibility of new life.

She is dealing with the loss of her beloved husband to whose life and career she devoted herself to. Her beloved son and grandson have relocated to Australia and she is
Dale Harcombe
Three and a half stars.
Millicent misses her son Alistair and her grandson Arthur who live in Australia with Alistair’s Australian born wife Emily. As well Millicent (otherwise known as Missy) is haunted by the argument that happened with her daughter Melanie and the words that were said. Later when I found out what this mother said to her daughter I could not imagine how any parent could say such words to their child. Little wonder than relationship was more than a little strained. With her belo
Nursebookie
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Love Story of Missy Carmichael by Beth Morrey

I loved this book for its quirky 79 yo character - always makes me wonder how it would be like when you are older, spouse has passed away and her children have their own lives, and life choices causing her children to become estranged from her. I enjoy this debut novel where no matter how old you are, it is never too late to still make changes and see the arc and change in the characters - it is a story full of hope and love. This endearing and he
Sarah Swann
Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this! The characters were so great. I loved seeing their friendships blossom and grow. I loved Missy’s connection with Bobby, the dog she agrees to sit for. I loved the unexpected things that happened. And it even got me to shed a tear. Loved it!

Huge thanks to the publisher for sending me a review copy!
Louise Wilson
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Missy Carmichael is 78 and lives alone in the house she used to share with her husband, Leo and their children. Her son, Alistair and her grandson live in Australia. She rarely sees her estranged daughter, Melanie. Missy is depressed and lonely ut she is also a very proud woman. One January morning, Missy collapses in the park. She is cared for by Sylvie. Sylvie invites Missy along with another lady, Angela out for a coffee. But Missy didn't want to go. But then Missy has a chance encounter with ...more
Renelle Sharpe
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved it. Fell in love with Missy and the other characters in the book. Well written and such a uplifting, heartbreaking, hopeful tale. Can't wait for the next one. 6/5 stars!!
mindful.librarian ☀️
I’m writing this while tears stream down my face because DAMNIT, sometimes books are just that brutiful ❤️😭 I loved this story oh so much - perfect for fans of “A Man Called Ove” and “Eleanor Oliphant is Perfectly Fine” - also recommended for dog lovers in general because BOBBY ❤️
Sterlingcindysu
Aug 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great debut novel! And for once the "older person" really is older, 79 at the beginning of the book. I dislike reading about an older character who's not even 60--I think Ove in A Man Called Ove was only 63 or so.

So, okay, everyone knows that when you start with a cranky old woman and add a dog and children what's going to happen. In this case it was Missy herself who was interesting (thank goodness because it was her book!) more than the other characters. Many of her regrets are familiar to
Ashley
Apr 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2020
Reviewed on: Ashes Books & Bobs.

Many thanks to Netgalley and G.P. Putnam's Sons for the chance to read this novel.

These types of character-driven novels are my absolute favorites. This was like a mix of A Man Called Ove and Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine, which was right up my alley. I adore curmudgeonly characters who struggle to find their place among others in this world because I find them relatable. When I came across this title, I knew it would be something similar to these favorites
Dayle (the literary llama)
3.5 Stars.

So, I sorta read the taglines incorrectly and didn’t understand what I was getting with this story. “Boy meets girl. Girl meets boy. Woman meets dog.” This, in bold print, right above the back cover synopsis, led me to think that some 20- something guy runs in to some 20-something girl, while at the same time our elderly lead Missy runs into a lovable mutt at the park, this setting off some story in which these 4 entities all save each other in some way.
In actuality, the “boy meets g
Gloria Arthur
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A touching read about a relatively common issue in our society these days, being elderly and lonely. This story gives hope because you can never tell what’s around the corner!

Missy (Millicent) thought she was destined to live a lonely existence for the rest of her twilight years. Her darling husband Leo sadly isn’t with her anymore. Missy lives in their large and mostly empty house including an attic filled with fascinating things of the past and valuable pieces. It’s a home too big and lonely f
Lorilin
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, arc
Missy Carmichael is 79-years old and lonely as can be. Her two grown children are off on their own, living their lives--but Missy rarely sees them (and isn't even speaking to her daughter after the last big fight they had...). She doesn't have much contact with people until she meets some new friends at her local park. From there, she finds herself having new adventures with them as they push her to broaden her horizons and believe that she has a whole lot more life to live.

This is a sweet book
Stina
I'm not sure why I requested this book, but obviously something in the premise prompted me to do so. It is not my usual genre and even upon re-reading the premise, I'm still at a loss as to why I did.

Missy Carmichael is 78 years old and living alone in the great big house she once shared with her husband Leo and their children Melanie and Alistair. Her children are now grown - with Alistair and her grandson Arthur now living in Australia, and her estranged daughter Melanie about to marry her lo
Jo - •.★Reading Is My Bliss★.•
Missy is 79 years old and lives alone in the family home she lived in with her husband. He is now gone and so have her adult kids that they raised there. It no longer looks or feels like a home. It is now just a house. She is lonely. She is very alone. She is existing.

‘Such crushing silence. It seemed like my whole life had been a cacophony, a constant buzzing and background chatter, and then Leo went and there was suddenly total and absolute stillness. Stillness, and silence and space. What
Rebekah
Oct 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What was this fear, this terror of being alone, when I was never a particularly gregarious being and in fact used to go out of my way to avoid social engagements?

I don’t know why I’d allowed myself to become so maudlin. The wine, probably. Two glasses, which sounded better than half a bottle.

Not unattractive, as dogs go, but I’ve never been keen on them. Too dim and needy.
This book. Who would have thought I would so enjoy a book about an 80 year old "withered old shrew" as Missy describes hers

• The Holdout
  • Into the Fire (Orphan X, #5)
  • The Last Sister (Columbia River #1)
  • The Better Liar
  • The Poison Garden
  • Big Lies in a Small Town
  • Kingdomtide
  • Tilly and the Lost Fairytales (Pages & Co., #2)
  • American Dirt
  • Our Stop
  • The Last Resort
  • The Wife and the Widow
  • Six Wicked Reasons
Beth Morrey was inspired to write her debut novel, Saving Missy, while pushing a pram around her local park during maternity leave. Getting to know the community of dog owners, joggers, neighbours and families, she began to sow the seeds of a novel about a woman saved by the people around her, strangers who became friends. Previously Creative Director at RDF Television, Beth now writes full time. ...more