Start by marking “The Fall of Richard Nixon: A Reporter Remembers Watergate” as Want to Read:
The Fall of Richard Nixon: A Reporter Remembers Watergate

The Fall of Richard Nixon: A Reporter Remembers Watergate

The last year of the Nixon presidency was filled with power politics, legal jiu-jitsu and high-stakes showdowns, with head-shaking surprises every day. Tom Brokaw, the NBC News White House correspondent during the final year of Watergate, gives us a close-up, personal account of the players, the strategies, and the highs and lows of the scandal that brought down a ...more
Published November 5th 2019 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about The Fall of Richard Nixon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fall of Richard Nixon

Start your review of The Fall of Richard Nixon: A Reporter Remembers Watergate
Tracey
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't read much about American politics in general, but I saw this pop up in my library app and gave it a shot. It didn't really give me any information that I didn't already know about. It just recounted Nixon's presidency. Pretty forgettable.
Donna Hines
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"HISTORY REPEATS ITSELF!"
As I sit here watching and listening to the Impeachment Hearings on Donald Trump I digress to this book I read last night.
The similarities are striking. The media being the enemy. The cover ups. The lack of transparency. The lack of remorse for wrongdoings but rather being caught. The immediate campaign trail agenda with non stop political events while the televised live impeachment hearings are on going to appear busy and disinterested.
Look- I married and happily
Helga Cohen
The Fall of Richard Nixon by Tom Brokaw was not a straightforward history of Nixon’s impeachment but short chapters about Nixon and the Watergate scandal and his resignation. It was an overview on his remembrance as a young reporter in his early career.

Some people who have reviewed it negatively should not look to this book for the history of Richard Nixon and a history during that time. There are many books written by historians who have written definitively about Nixon and Watergate and this
Jill Meyer
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tom Brokaw’s new book, “The Fall of Richard Nixon”, is not a straight history of Nixon’s impeachment, but rather it’s collection of short chapters about Richard Nixon and the story around the Watergate scandal and Nixon’s subsequent resignation. Brokaw begins his book with a question posted at the Nixon Presidential Library, “Who was Richard Nixon?”. He attempts to answer that question, but fails in the end, because I doubt if anyone, even Nixon himself, could have answered correctly.

Tom Brokaw’
Gary Anderson
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Timely.
Christopher Saunders
Quick and bland memoir of Brokaw's time covering the Nixon White House (very briefly - August 1973 through Nixon's resignation). There are some interesting anecdotes - Brokaw's revelation that Nixon asked him to serve as Press Secretary, a few playful sketches of other reporters and White House insiders - but it's mostly perfunctory and not particularly revealing. Mostly because Brokaw's role in the White House Press Corps was minor and he had only peripheral access to key events. Like a lot of ...more
Kimberly
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

Tom Brokaw is a great storyteller. The Watergate story is one that has been told many times, but Tom’s easy style and view from inside the White House press corps is a refreshingly new take on it.
Bookreporter.com Biography & Memoir
Traveling back in time to 1974 and the crucial last days of Richard Nixon’s public career, award-winning broadcast journalist Tom Brokaw reveals the dark corners and bright spots in that era --- for himself as a young reporter, for the Nixon White House and its poisoned reputation, and for Americans who watched, puzzled, as events unfolded.

It began during Nixon’s re-election campaign. His second term leapt up with a landslide win, seemingly uniting the country behind someone who had visited
Jeff Swystun
Nov 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Given current events, the publisher sped Brokaw's book to market. The result is a short work that fails to add anything substantively new beyond a first-hand account. The author was the White House correspondent for NBC News. At time of Watergate, he was in his early 30's.

There are some interesting bits, “We did not feel forced … to react to every ‘omigod’ from the vast universe of social media — factual, mythical, malicious or fanciful. In contrast to President Trump, President Nixon was seldom
Joseph J.
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This small but info-packed history/memoir really brought back my youth! I also learned some new tidbits-how Tom Brokaw may have missed a stay in jail as happened to so many at that time! This is also a flashback to a time when-despite Nixon' s supreme contempt of the press-journalists and politicians met for interviews and mingled socially, and when Dems and Republicans could come together, and politicians placed the Constitution and mere right and wrong above one political leader. There are ...more
Meghan Lyons
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wanted to read this for a couple reasons: 1) in light of what’s going on at the Capitol currently 2) always wondered why Watergate happened since it was likely to be a landslide victory, anyway 3) grandma and aunt worked on the McGovern campaign, so personal interest with this particular presidential era

The book started out slow with lots of repetition and foreshadowing, but built as the chapters went on. For someone who didn’t have much (if any) familiarity with the folks in the White House at
Karen
I gave this book an extra star because, as a former journalist myself, it was mildly interesting to read about the experiences of someone who was covering Watergate at the time it was actually unfolding.

However, Brokaw doesn’t give any insights into Watergate or President Nixon that haven’t already been made many times before. He also doesn’t draw any direct parallels between Nixon and the current impeachment controversy that’s going on in the present administration, even though I’m assuming
Matt
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
A very thin book in both content and length. For substance, you'd be better off reading Woodward and Bernstein's "The Final Days" and/or Jonathan Aitken's "Nixon: A Life", both of which are referenced and quoted often in this book.

From a historical perspective, there's not much here that hasn't been told often or better before. However, if you're interested in what it would be like to have cocktails with Tom Brokaw, pour your self a few fingers and read this book. The anecdotes about Washington
Howard Christie
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
While this does review the years around Richard Nixon, it feels like any of us could have written it with a quick Google search. Not much in depth here. No particular insights from 40+ years away. It feels like a quick money grab to capitalize on today’s events. Brokaw also frequently adds little bits about people he knew or lived near or had dinner with, but none of these add weight or substance to the story.
If you want to quickly review the end of Nixon this is a reasonable primer but that’s
Roger Smitter
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tom Brokow still has the skill of any successful TV journalist. In just a few pages, he tells how Presdient Richard Nixon became the first American president to leave the White House. There';s not much depth. Why would we expect that from TV news.

But, those of us who remember that time, the book brings back lots of memories. The book is not about politics. It is about how the powerful can be taken down. Some readers will say the book has little depth. But maybe it's useful to provide a story
John Deardurff
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Only about 25% of this book deals with the Impeachment of Richard Nixon. It is really anecdotal reflections of when Tom Brokaw was a White House correspondent (1973-1976) that coincided with the Watergate years. I did enjoy the book as a light airport read but took a star away for the click-bait title. Mr. Brokaw also does a fair amount of name dropping and humble-bragging which also takes away from the historical perspective of the times.
Phil
Nov 12, 2019 rated it liked it
I would describe this as 'Watergate Lite'. A cursory overview of the Watergate affair. There are many other and better detailed works. My personal favorite retrospective is Bob Woodward's 'Last Of The President's Men' (2016).

But to Brokaw's credit he lays out enough to draw parallels to the times we are now witnessing: the attacks on the press, the 'partial' transcript release that Nixon thought would suffice, the stages of defense, to the final days.
Andrew &
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A newsman recalls a helluva story

Nostalgic for a bad age of leadership and a great age of journalism? Tom Brokaw's account takes you right back there. Very readable prose - I read it in one sitting. The young NBC correspondent was more observer than a news breaker but in this perspective he evokes the sophisticated fever of DC and the weirdness of Nixon very well. There is plenty of plus ca change in the book too.
Barbara
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a view of Watergate from the press corps. It is not a deep look at the investigation and how Nixon dealt with it rather what Tom Brokaw saw. But I guess that is what he intended since he is a reporter. Four stars because I truly love Tom Brokaw and remember him fondly from the NBC news desk.
Ricardo Fernandez
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Disappointing book. Overtly partisan. The author talks of presidential impeachment mentioning President Andrew Johnson and hints to President Trump. No mention of President Clinton who was impeached by the House. He offers snide insights and brings nothing new to the discussion. I am glad the book was from the library. Don't waste your time reading this book.
William
Nov 24, 2019 rated it liked it
I think it's worth a look if you were are interested in what was happening to reporters as they were covering Watergate. There are obviously more thorough records of the scandal, and it's clear Brokaw thought this book would be timely because of the Trump impeachment. I would have liked a larger picture of Washington at that time, but that's just me.
Greg
Nov 16, 2019 rated it liked it
To be fair, Brokaw doesn't suggest he is offering any great insights to the Fall of Richard Nixon and is more about his time as a White House correspondent during the dying days of the administration. 'The Final Days' by Woodward and Bernstein - often referenced in Brokaw's book - is a much better record of the period, but for a Nixon junkie, it's still an enjoyable read.
Joe
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tom wrote a nice memoir about his experiences with covering President Nixon thru the Watergate drama and the aftermath. The book was nicely written, an easy read and I'm happy I checked it out from the Central Skagit public library. I did see a lot of similarities between President Trump's administration and President Nixon's as well but sharing them here would spoil the book.
Lawrence Grey
Nov 25, 2019 rated it liked it
I thought that this book would have more details and information about the Watergate crisis. While there were some interesting stories, a large portion of the book was about the author and not Nixon. Interesting read for political junkies but nothing great of course free from the local public library
Emily Fritz
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jeff J.
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Not much new here. The book does serve as a reminder that Watergate wasn’t the first time that Democrats weaponized impeachment in an effort to overturn an election, nor would it be the last time, and in each case their coup attempts backfired on them. It was interesting to relive a time when television cameras weren’t allowed in White House press briefings.
Csparrenberger
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was in college when the Watergate break-in occurred. I followed it with interest then and over the years I have read many books about it. This book includes nothing new except for the relationship of the press corps and the camaraderie of the press corps which I found interesting. Therefore, a lukewarm recommendation.
Richard
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good review of our past. Definite parallels to the present day political environment.

Enjoyed Mr. Brokaw's insights. The anecdotes and personal experiences provided much to a subject that I personally followed as a young student.
Jill
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is first a memoir about Tom Brokaw’s time with the White House Press Corps during the last few years of Nixon’s presidency. If you are hoping my in depth news about Nixon or Watergate, this book will not deliver. A quick read.
D
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
There is so much in the Richard Nixon Watergate scandal and Impeachment that Donald Trump is mirroring. Richard Nixon was a complicated and tortured person. Tom Brokaw's book is an easy read and it is extremely informative.

• A Warning
  • Pence
  • Edison
  • The Book of Gutsy Women: Favorite Stories of Courage and Resilience
  • Home Work: A Memoir of My Hollywood Years
  • For the Good of the Game: The Inside Story of the Surprising and Dramatic Transformation of Major League Baseball
  • Me
  • The Kennedy Heirs: John, Caroline, and the New Generation - A Legacy of Triumph and Tragedy
  • Finding Chika: A Little Girl, an Earthquake, and the Making of a Family
  • The Only Plane in the Sky: An Oral History of September 11, 2001
  • Carrie Fisher: A Life on the Edge
  • The Education of Brett Kavanaugh: An Investigation
Thomas John Brokaw is an American television journalist and author, previously working on regularly scheduled news documentaries for the NBC television network, and is the former NBC News anchorman and managing editor of the program NBC Nightly News with Tom Brokaw. His last broadcast as anchorman was on December 1, 2004, succeeded by Brian Williams in a carefully planned transition. In the later ...more