Start by marking “The Lost Power (VanOps #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lost Power (VanOps #1)

The Lost Power

(VanOps #1)

DA VINCI CODE meets TOMB RAIDER in this award-winning thriller that #1 NYT bestselling author James Rollins called, "A book that defines ‘page-turner.’"

Spain 1057: During a thunderous battle, the first King of Aragon wrestles Alexander the Great's priceless Egyptian weapon from the Moors, but finds it holds a terrifying and mysterious power.

Nearly a thousand year
Published November 9th 2019 by Black Opal Books

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Power, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost Power

Start your review of The Lost Power (VanOps #1)
SheySaints
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Summary
The story begins with a fascinating history during the early part of the High Middle ages; It was the year 1057 in the country of Spain when Ramiro, the King of Aragon battles Alexander the Great to get a priceless Egyptian weapon from the Moors. Uncovering the mysterious power it holds becomes his objective, promising himself to guard it from those who intend to use it for evil. After almost a thousand years, three individuals of different expertise team up to find this power. Madd
Joyce
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars

Maddy Marshall and Will Argones, twin brother ans sister, arrive at their father's old vineyard in the Napa Valley of California. Just as they arrive, a shot rings out that kills their father and Will's wife Maria. A young boy named AJ that was traveling with Maddie sees a black BMW hurry away from the scene.

After exhaustive interviews with somewhat incompetent appearing detectives, Will, Maddie and AJ leave. They see the BMW on the side of the road and a car chase ensues. Th
Jessica Bone
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Will and Maddy meet their dad at the family vineyard at the urgent message from their dad. Maddy has been too distracted by the breakup from her longtime boyfriend and her heart is not in the visit. She drives up to see her brother playing catch with Squirrel in the driveway with no idea what is going on. Shots ring out they enter the library to find their father and Will's wife dead. The last words from their father are to go to the Sacramento attorney. With those passing words, they are thrown ...more
Katherine Moore
Sometimes I'll go out on a limb and read a book that wasn't necessarily on my radar, by an author who's new to me, and even within a genre (or crosses several genres) that I don't read often. I like reading outside of my comfort zone because this is often where I'll find the shiniest gems of books that may otherwise pass me by. 'The Lost Power' is one of those books; touted as 'Da Vinci Code meets Tomb Raider' (both of which I know of, but haven't read or seen, and probably just as well), I knew ...more
Tamsyn Anderson-Miller
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was great!! I absolutely loved reading this novel! I am amazed at the amount of detail and description Avanti provided and how she fluidly introduced the characters and background throughout the novel. I love it. Now I can’t wait for the second one!!! I definitely recommend for anyone looking for adventure, suspense, mystery, and a fun read!
Paul
Aug 03, 2019 marked it as to-read
I can see why this engaging book won an award. It has a lot going for it -- travel, good dialog, mystery, adventure -- all told by a very talented author. Highly recommended.

I really appreciate the advanced copy for review!!
Diane Riley
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of VanOps: The Lost Power by Avanti Centrae for reviewing purposes.

This is a great read. Three people—fraternal twins Maddy and Will and their friend Bear—race around the world trying to figure out a family mystery related to Maddy and Will’s family story. As relatives of the Spanish royal family, they are charged to find an ancient weapon than an ancestor grabbed from the Moors in the eleventh century—a weapon the Russians desperately want. This journey takes them
Heather Bennett
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
VanOps has so much packed in it, it has a little bit of everything for everyone. Interesting characters and storyline. I would read more by this author.
Luna Kingson
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I can’t say much about without spoiling. So if you do like books with a lot of unexpected things going on you should read it.
Dawn Garcia
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fast paced adventure! My favorite things were the travel and descriptions of the architecture, monastery, castles, pyramids, etc. I would still like to see a map of the travels maybe in the front cover or even a few of them throughout the book as the trio moves. I also would like to see more emotion from the twins after their loss, but I'm a sap. I most enjoyed the end and the epilogue. Wow! And I do really think it would be a fun adventure, bond-like movie.
Michele
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Number of stars 5 out of 5

I wish I can give this book more then 5 stars if I have to it will be 10 stars. That is how great this book is.

I absolutely love this book. It's fast paced full of action, mystery and you can't stop reading this book. You want to keep reading again and again. I'm going to reread this book that is how much I love it.

You guys have to pick up this amazing wonderful beautiful book.
Jean Kolinofsky
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the joys of reading is finding an author that you have never read before and adding them to your must-read list. Avanti Centrae is the latest author whose book The Lost Power, the first in the Van Ops series, captured me on the first page and did not let go until the very end.

Opening in 1057, Ramiro, the king of Aragon, faces a terrifying weapon that devastates his troops. With the help of his son, the weapon is captured, hidden and protected by his ancestors. Fast forward to the present
Sheli M
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm looking forward to the next VanOps mission already!!

This was such a riveting, enjoyable read, and there was so much I liked about it including: the historical ties and weaving of different points in time through the family generational connections; geographical references and travel to foreign lands; suspense of the quest and finding the clues; the subtle romance building throughout the book; and especially the culmination of this thriller ending.

I became fully engage
Jan
Can't possibly go wrong with this one: murder, conspiracy, international pursuit, and all interspersed with historical data! It's a real thrill ride complete with martial arts, medieval weaponry, car chases, and even helicopter pursuit! The publisher's blurb is pretty good for an intro, and no spoilers here. Kept me reading straight through to the end and waiting for the next one!
I requested and received a free ebook copy from Books Go Social via NetGalley. Thank you!
Betty Ocken
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great read. I love the interaction between Maddy and Will as they race around the world with their friend Bear, trying to stay alive while they search for a powerful force that could change the fate of the world. I'm looking forward to the next book.
Amanda  Gee
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What can I say, I loved every minute of this thriller.
A cross between Indiana Jones and the Da Vinci Code, fantastic characterisation and a story line that had me gripped from the start. I can't wait for the next one in the series.
Judy
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put this book down, finished in four evenings!!!! There was not a doll moment. Can't wait for the next one to come out!
Kathy Anderson
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book. When I couldn’t read, I was thinking about when I would have time to read. Always a good sign.
Margaret
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It is a genuine page turner with lost of adventure, action and plot twists. I look forward to reading more by this author.
Geo
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book via Booktasters in exchange for a review. It was a great read and had my interest from beginning to end. It has a little bit of everything for everyone. I am looking forward to more from this author and highly recommend it.
Michelle Ocken
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm still trying to catch my breath. What a fun ride! I normally read at night to help me sleep, but this book did just the opposite. To call this book a page-turner would be an understatement. Once I started, I couldn't put it down! This is great adventure with plenty of action and some wild twists.
Maddy, her twin brother, Will, and high school friend Bear, find themselves the unexpected center of a race to find a Lost Power that could change the world's balance of power and put thousands, if
Glenda
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, thriller
Absolutely LOVED the story!!

Loved the mix of fantasy and reality. It grabbed me from the start with Ramiro I, and on to Napa with Maddy and Will, and then Bear and the crazy assassin(s).

The descriptions made me feel like I was there with everyone. Through all the adventures, I had a hard time putting it down to do other things that I needed to do (like work).
Michelle Meyer
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book grabbed my interest from the very first chapter! Once I started reading it, I found I wanted to grab more and more time out of my day to keep reading. The Lost Power has a great list of characters that you get to know well, set in a thrilling book with a great mix of fiction and true history. I have read this book three times now, finding more details that I love about it each time. I can't wait to read the next book!
Doug Yonce
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Something for everyone who loves action. Relationships, history, supernatural, plotting, plot twists appeal to readers across many genres. Excellent start to the series. I received an advanced digital copy of this book from the publisher and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
CVDH
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This got my heart pumping!

Great history lesson within this absorbing story!
Joyce
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars

Vicki
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my --- what an fun and well written book!!!! I look forward to many more books to come from this new imaginative author. A must read!!!
Jeannette
Jul 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of James Rollins and Steve Berry
Shelves: netgalley, reviewed
I received a free copy of this book from the publisher via Net Galley in exchange for a possible review.

I want to start off by saying this really should be 3.5 stars, nearly 4. I'll get into why in a second.

It is the first book in a series. You have to start here because I don't think the second book is available yet. I was drawn to it because it was liked to James Rollins and Steve Berry books, and I really love those books. It also happened to have a positive blurb from Ann Charle
Beth
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
This book starts off in the middle of a battle in 1057. One side has some kind of magical secret weapon that throws what looks like lightening at Ramiro and his army. Ramiro is going to try to steal the weapon. Jump to modern day Napa Valley where Maddy Marshall and her twin brother Will Argones and their sister have all been summoned to a meeting with their father. Maggie has prophetic dreams and has had a bad one about this meeting. Before they see their father, he is killed by an assassin. La ...more
Lisha Denis
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Being a fan of thrillers and writers like Dan Brown, I was eager to try out a new author and was looking forward to a new adventure series. VanOps: The Lost Power is the first book in what appears to be a possible series. The story was very quick paced with the main characters, Maddy, Will, and Bear running for their lives while on a quest to find a lost ancient weapon with the power to take down the security of the United States. I did enjoy the numerous locations that the characters found them ...more

• The Russian (Rob Tacoma #1)
  • Verona
  • Happy Trail (Park Ranger, #1)
  • Summer Frost
  • Bad Memory (Jessica Shaw, #2)
  • The Sixth Wicked Child (4MK Thriller, #3)
  • Into the Fire (Orphan X, #5)
  • Cilka's Journey (The Tattooist of Auschwitz, #2)
  • Outfox
  • The Shape of Night
  • Janis: Her Life and Music
  • Dark Thoughts
  • Once a Spy (Rogues Redeemed, #4)
  • Code of Conduct (Cipher Security, #1)
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • A Christmas Wish and a Cranberry Kiss at the Cosy Kettle (Cosy Kettle, #3)
  • Fast Attack (Hunter Killer #4)
  • The Mermaid Garden
AVANTI CENTRAE blends intrigue, history, science, and mystery into non-stop action thrillers. The Lost Power took home a Genre Grand Prize at the Chanticleer International Book Awards and an Honorable Mention at the Hollywood Book Festival. She resides in Northern California.