Start by marking “The Jellyfish Season” as Want to Read:
The Jellyfish Season

The Jellyfish Season

I thought becoming a teenager was going to be fun. Instead, the summer I turned thirteen my life turned upside-down. Dad lost his job and we moved into my aunt and uncle's beach house. Sounded great-but not When I had to share a room with my boy-crazy cousin Fay. Fay was having plenty of fun, but I just got to sit on the beach and watch. It seemed like Fay had the kind of ...more
Published April 1st 1992 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Jellyfish Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Jellyfish Season

April
Feb 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Was, and still is, my favorite young adult novel. I've owned 7 copies, 'cause I was always loaning it out to people, saying they had to read it, and they all liked it so much they'd keep it.
Nicole
May 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I read this book while I was in middle school and I will never forget it. A story that touched my heart while I was "coming of age".
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
4.5 STARS

"I thought becoming a teenager was going to be fun. Instead., the summer I turned thirteen my life turned upside-down. Dad lost his job and we moved into my aunt and uncle's beach house. Sounded great-but not When I had to share a room with my boy-crazy cousin Fay. Fay was having plenty of fun, but I just got to sit on the beach and watch. It seemed like Fay had the kind of teenage life I only dreamed of. But then the end of summer came and everything seemed different. It looked as if m
Erin Lee
Jul 18, 2018 rated it liked it
This book definitely is reminiscent of another time, when parents let their children have some autonomy without having to worry about the constant looming threat of "stranger danger." Some aspects didn't stand well the test of time and other aspects encapsulate the uncertainty of being an awkward pre-teen. Not one of Hahn's best, but definitely not one of her worst, either.
Abeera
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
EvezBeadz.artfire.com
Mar 13, 2013 rated it did not like it
Rachel
Apr 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite Downing Hahn books; Kathleen, a pre-teen and eldest of four (soon to be five) girls, must keep her family together as her parents suffer hardships and keep secrets from her. Entering into the secret-keeping world herself, she's bound to keep her bitchy, cousin, Fay's, secret about an older boy she's dating. When both of these worlds unravel, Kathleen and Fay find they have a strong bond to lean on.
Catherine
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
I have students who will like this book, but I don't think it aged well, meaning it was written in 1985 and seems quite dated. The characters are annoying and not very bright; there wasn't one I cared for, and the parents are written flat and selfish. I'm not much for one dimensional characters. This book didn't make me laugh or cry. Hahn has better books in her collection, but like my students, I'll still give anything she writes a chance.
Laura Hoskins
Nicole
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: summer-reads
its been awhile... i read this book when i was thirteen and i remember thinking "here is another girl like me that everyone in the world is against" which makes it the perfect coming of age story because what teenager doesnt feel like that more than half the time. the most relate-able book i read at that age.
Candace
Dec 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
I re-read this one today and while it only took me a short time to do so, I still think that it is a great book for young girls to read. I loved Mary Downing Hahn's books when I was younger and I still love them now. I can't wait until my daughter is old enough to read them too.
Jakiah
May 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. So much drama. Mary Downing Hahn leaves you wondering what gonna happen next. Still don't know why it's called The Jellyfish Season.
Tiani *The Writer*
when i read this book for a book report i was so happy with the book that after the report i brought it home and read it again. i give this book and a+
Karina
Mar 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
This was another favorite!
Celeste
Jun 16, 2008 rated it liked it
Cool.
Bianca Warner
Sep 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Read this book numerous times. I think that the characters are very vivid as well as the feelings. I'll forever love it.
Allison
I don't remember reading this book... Maybe I judged the book by it's cover (or the back cover synopsis).
Merilee
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So, so, so good!!!! I remember it well. A coming-of-age story that was perfect for my young self, who read it several times.
Annabelle Herbert
Oct 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
How do you even read books on this thing. forget it, i am gonna use another site sowwy=(
Brandi
Apr 04, 2008 rated it liked it
This was one of my favorites to read when I was an early teen. I read it over and over.
Kyra
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't think I actually ever read this book as a kid, although obviously we've probably owned it since then.

Jesus Christ, what a depressing ending!
Angie
Dec 10, 2007 rated it really liked it
I read this book over and over when I was a teen.
Liz

• Baby, It's Cold Outside
  • The Art of Amy Brown II
  • Tassajara Cooking
  • The Art of Faery
  • The Works Of Jane Austen (Pride & Prejudice, Sense & Sensibility, Emma, Persuasion)
  • How to Draw and Paint Fairies: From Finding Inspiration to Capturing Diaphanous Detail, a Step-By-Step Guide to Fairy Art
  • Superflirt
  • The Shadow Knows
  • Escaping Into the Open
  • Craft of the Wild Witch: Green Spirituality & Natural Enchantment
  • Frog And Toad Book Set: Frog And Toad Are Friends; Frog And Toad Together; Days With Frog And Toad; Frog And Toad All Year  (Frog and Toad #1-4)
  • Rolling Thunder
  • The Dark Garden
  • Midnight in the Dollhouse
  • Silver (Sarabeth, #1)
  • The Faeries' Oracle
  • The Fairies: Photographic Evidence of the Existence of Another World
  • Myths of the Cherokee
I grew up in a small shingled house down at the end of Guilford Road in College Park, Maryland. Our block was loaded with kids my age. We spent hours outdoors playing "Kick the Can" and "Mother, May I" as well as cowboy and outlaw games that usually ended in quarrels about who shot whom. In the summer, we went on day long expeditions into forbidden territory -- the woods on the other side of the t ...more