Start by marking “The Vagina Bible: The vulva and the vagina - separating the myth from the medicine” as Want to Read:

Does eating sugar cause yeast infections? Does pubic hair have a function?
Should you have a vulvovaginal care regimen?
Will your vagina shrivel up if you go without sex?
What's the truth about the HPV vaccine?

So many important questions, so much convincing, confusing, contradictory misinformation! In this age of click bait, pseudoscience, and celebrity-endorsed

Published August 27th 2019 by Piatkus

To ask other readers questions about The Vagina Bible, please sign up.
HeatherIlene Click on "browse" at the top of the page, then "giveaways," and then click on "giveaways you've entered." Next, click on the drop down menu that says…moreClick on "browse" at the top of the page, then "giveaways," and then click on "giveaways you've entered." Next, click on the drop down menu that says "sort by" and click "won." There should be an option for you that says you never received it. If not, click on the link that says "giveaway details" under the book that you won, and contact the person/publisher that listed the giveaway (this will be listed on the page that shows up after you click on "giveaway details"). That page should also say when the book you won shipped.(less)

Start your review of The Vagina Bible: The vulva and the vagina - separating the myth from the medicine
Laurie Anderson
I’m buying 10 copies of this book to give to the women I care about. Dr. Jen Gunter is a damn genius with a heart of gold and one hell of an awesome vagenda. Everyone who has a vagina or who loves someone with a vagina needs to read this one.

There are so many great quotes, but this is the one I keep revisiting, “Power and health are inseparably linked.”

This book deserves to be pre-ordered.
NAT.orious reads ☽
5 for Jen's vagenda
The patriarchy and snake oil have had a good run, but I'm done with how they negatively affect and weaponize women's health. So I am not going to stop swinging my bat until everyone has the tools to be an empowered patient and those who seek to subjugate women by keeping them from facts about their bodies have shut up and taken a seat in the back of class.
That's my vagenda.

This book is for you if…you carry a vagina and vulva or don't carry one but want to educate yourself
Jenna
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jenna by: MonumentToDecency
I hadn't planned to read this book until I read my GR friend MonumentToDecency's review of it. As I cannot possibly write a better and more entertaining endorsement for this book, I urge you to hop over to her review and read it for yourself. Prepare to laugh and learn!

Click here to be taken to this most informative and hilarious review.

You too will want to read the book! And if you have a vagina, you should!
MonumentToDecency
It is best to avoid blowing air into the vagina
I'm just going to leave that there, completely out of context, and let you deal with figuring it out all on your own.

It grinds my gears to no end hearing that rubbish that menstruation is something women should be proud of; a reminder of our femininity; a reminder of our beautiful womanhood; a reminder of our fragility, or of our ability to create life, yadda yadda. Shut the heck up.

For many women, periods are painful, and unnecessary 90% of the
Ꮗ€♫◗☿ ❤️ ilikebooksbest.com ❤️
Everything you wanted to know about the vagina but were afraid to ask, or didn’t know who to ask, or couldn’t find anyone to ask

Jennifer Gunter covers the vagina basics such as where everything is located and what everything is for, including what makes up the Vulva, and the parts and anatomy of the clitoris. She goes on to debunk and or prove myths such as is there really a G-spot or is it really just the parts of the clitoris near the bladder and vaginal wall on some women filled with blood
Leigh Kramer
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, nonfiction
I’m going to make a bold claim: if you are a person with a vagina, you need this book. Whether you read it front to back or use it as a resource tool, it is one of the most important books I’ve read for my own health and well-being and I commend it to everyone. I’m a relatively informed cis-het woman and I still learned so much in this book.

Dr. Jen Gunter writes in an accessible, engaging style. Her astute insights and observations are interspersed with humor and wit. Her goal is to empower and
Maya
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ARC received via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Wow, I'm so glad I chose to read this book. It's phenomenal. It's a book where knowledge meets humor. So you can only imagine that this is a fun read that at the same time gives you much needed information about a woman's body, mostly about the vagina as well as the vulva. I really enjoyed reading about the different functions each part has and also about the numerous trends. Some were really crazy and I for sure would not try them out
Brittany
3.5/5

I'm struggling with what to rate this book - I think I'm somewhere between a 3 and a 4.

In Dr. Gunter's introduction, she says to use it as either a reference or read it straight-through. I chose to do both: I read 100 pages straight, and then I looked up topics I was particularly curious about.

There is a lot to love about Dr. Gunter's book. I found her book extremely readable - she writes like your friend-doctor with whom you're getting a cup of coffee. Who knew reading about reproductive
Tanya
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, non-fiction
I'd never heard of Dr. Jen Gunter before, but since requesting this ARC of her upcoming book (I did so based solely on the genius cover alone, and because the full title piqued my interest), I found out that she's got quite an online reputation and following (as well as her own column in the NYT), and is a crusader against Gwyneth Paltrow's "health venture" Goop, who, among many other ethically questionable products (at best ineffective, at worst potentially harmful), promotes sticking a $60+ ...more
Alexis
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
This is more a book that you read in fits and starts, rather than cover to cover. I read it cover to cover. And I learned a lot! I also got mad by how much misinformation and old wives' tales there are out there, and by how the female body has really been exploited by patriarchy.

I also learned that some women dry their vulvas with hair dryers. NOOOOOO! I screamed.

I also realized that I should probably boil my tweezers, or at the very least, clean them more often.

I like Jen Gunter's personable,
Toni
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly, my husband heard about this book first, then told me. I promptly put it on hold at our library and was delightfully, intrigued and informed. The no-nonsense author and doctor, writes a pithy organized book that every women should read. Favorite chapter at the end: “Journal of Old Wives’ Tales.” Recommend.
Ariel ✨
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health-care
Dr. Jennifer Gunter crams a lot of valuable, dense information in this little tome. At times it became a little too dense as if she forgot she wasn't writing a textbook for medical students. I'm glad this book exists, but a few sections gave me pause. I started to feel almost defensive of natural menstrual sanitation tools and techniques that I don't even use because of the way she dismissed them so flippantly, but she does dig deep into shaving vs. waxing, the microtraumas these grooming ...more
Lubinka Dimitrova
The Vagina Bible is written with much love for the woman, and it shows. Dr. Gunter has a refreshingly no-nonsense approach to the topics she examines, and does not shy away from scolding both men and women for some outrageous ideas that people believe and perpetuate, sometimes unwillingly, due to lack of knowledge, sometimes consciously, for a variety of reasons.

In any case, the book is heavy on practical, detailed information for a ton of symptoms, ailments, treatments and general advice (which
Raine McLeod
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not what I expected. It’s very good for reference and there’s honestly a lot more going on down there than I thought. Only gets 4 stars because she spends a huge chunk of the book talking about men (transwomen) who neither have a vagina (an inverted penis is not a vagina) nor will ever need a gynaecologist (because they do not and will never have a vagina). It pisses me off that we can’t even have a book called THE VAGINA BIBLE without having to pander to fucking men’s delusions.
Ashley
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Keely Langford
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written as though we’re at hers, having a book club, and we had some questions. We aren’t idiots, we aren’t doctors, we are people, and frankly, there’s some stuff we should know. She’s not: “I know everything” but: “Here’s what I know so far and why I’ve made this decision. Do with that what you will.”
Nicole Wagner
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!!

I'm 33, a mom, college educated, professional, and a mostly Internet savvy feminist. And I learned SO MUCH from this book! I have to recommend it to anyone and everyone who has a vagina.

I mean it. Everyone who has a vagina, including trans women and nonbinary folks. This book is written with diversity in mind and addresses numerous issues specific to these groups. In fact, once I got done reading I donated my copy to my local center for youth between the ages of 14 and 24 who are
Gina
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gina by: Tanya
solid 5 stars

Do Not Read the Comments - Ever
This isn't a review, but a question as to why anyone would give a one-star rating. This book is informative and empowering. A one-star review written by a man? He is entitled to his opinion, but he takes umbrage with the author "promoting sex just for pleasure," which is not the case.
The author stresses that sex should feel good to -- and be pleasurable for -- people with a vagina. Horrors! This man did not write a review. He wrote his about his
Kaitlyn
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
God, I wish I had this book when I was younger. This book is a must read for anyone with a vagina or anyone that interacts with vaginas on a regular basis.

Dr. Gunter does an incredible job of addressing the myths and the dangerous misunderstandings surrounding vaginal health in the world today and explains how that misinformation is being used as a weapon against individuals with vaginas.

Literally every topic I can think of is talked about in this book. I LEARNED SO MUCH. It’s wild to think
Liz B
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, nonfiction, ebook
Remember Google Reader? Boy, I loved Google Reader. Remembering Google Reader today has mainly made me remember how much I hate Twitter. Anyway, I used to subscribe to Dr. Jen Gunter's blog on Reader, so I checked out her book. It's funny and informative both. Good stuff!

One big takeaway--often advice is given to women to try something with no supporting scientific evidence because "it can't hurt." Gunter asserts that it often can, indeed, hurt--hurt your wallets, hurt your relationships, hurt
Diana
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're not following Dr. Jen Gunter on Twitter, stop what you're doing and go follow her. I love this woman!! I love that she is taking down misinformation, GOOP, and the patriarchy all at once. I loved pretty much everything about this, particularly the clear explanations and the feminist angle. Unfortunately (a real pet peeve of mine) there were several typos so I really wish she'd had a better editor. One piece I wasn't sold on was her argument that hormonal contraception can't cause ...more
princesspwny
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I work in STEM, have spent time in women's health, and learned several new pieces of information about my own biology from this book. I truly think this is a must-read for anyone possessing these body parts. Dr. Gunter pulls no punches dispelling harmful outdated viewpoints and confronting the patriarchy. Well-written, solid science, very accessible, and inclusive (there is a chapter for those who are transitioning).
Grace
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, feminism
Awesome and informative read! Broken down into clear, easy-to-digest chapters, it's obvious this is a book meant to be referenced again and again. Not every section will apply to everybody and all times, but it's easy to skip over the pieces that don't apply to you. I really liked the style here, and definitely a book I'd recommend!
Michelle
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must-read if you have/used to have/will have a vagina, if you parent or partner with someone who does, if you legislate those who do, or if you just want interesting information. Easy to read and it's divided into clear sections so that if you just want info on a specific concern, you can go straight to it. And the author sent a copy to every member of Congress, which makes her my hero.
Maud
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stand-alone
One of my goals for 2020 is to read more non-fiction on topics that I find interesting and want to know more of.

After reading this book I feel baffled that there were so many things about my own body that I didn't know. For reference: I have grown up and always lived in the Netherlands, where sex education is a big part of our education. I believe I started learning about reproductive systems around the age of 11/12.
I also remember thinking that I always found it weird how much attention there
Kathleen Bender
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
TIL nearly everything my mom told me while growing up was not true, so excuse me while I go lounge in a wet bathing suit for several hours...

Seriously though, super informative book. I wish they had given us this in high school for our health class instead of subjecting us to a teacher who laughed at the amount of pubic hair the woman had in a live birth video. It covers nearly every topic you could think of, is inclusive of trans people, and has the right amount of humor. I’ll definitely be
Alina Borger
Excellent, reader-friendly desk reference on everything vagina-related. Each chapter has three or four studies cited in the back. I also really like the way this book has chapters specifically about vaginal care for trans men and trans women.
Jacqueline
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-loved
Every person who has or had a vagina should read this book. So informative!
Nathalie
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways-books
So, I received this book from a Goodreads giveaway. I was hoping it would arrive earlier, so I could read it during my trip, but it got delivered when I was travelling, so I had to wait until I came back to start reading it.
Anyways, I love the contents section at the beginning (it really helps if you want to read about a specific topic), and the bottom-line summaries at the end of each chapters. You could easily learn a lot just by reading those summaries!It has been organized just as a medical
Steph
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
This is a first reads book. I believe this is a necessary book for women. It’s a roadmap for our health. Because there is such minimal education, this helps fill in the gaps of knowledge and a great reference book. Everyone should read this book! It’s well researched, to the point, non-judgmental, and accessible.

• The Breakfast Club for 40-Somethings: A Novel Approach to Unlearning Money and Reinventing Your Life
  • Moon: Past, Present and Future
  • Founded After Forty: How to start a business when you haven't got time to waste
  • Widen the Window: Training Your Brain and Body to Thrive During Stress and Recover from Trauma
  • The 3-Minute Rule: Say Less to Get More from Any Pitch or Presentation
  • The Introvert's Complete Career Guide: From Landing a Job, to Surviving, Thriving, and Moving on Up
  • We Are All Weird - The Rise of Tribes and the End of Normal
  • Messengers: Who We Listen To, Who We Don't, and Why
  • The Witches Are Coming
  • F#ck Content Marketing: Focus on Content Experience to Drive Demand, Revenue & Relationships
  • Metahuman: Unleashing Your Infinite Potential
  • Know My Name: A Memoir
  • Had It Coming: What's Fair in the Age of #metoo?
  • Loserthink: How Untrained Brains Are Ruining America
  • The Call of the Wild and Free: Schooling That Reclaims the Wonder of Childhood
  • Empire of Wild