Start by marking “The Midnight Bride (The Dead Lands, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Midnight Bride (The Dead Lands, #2)

The Midnight Bride

(The Dead Lands #2)

To save her family from a tyrant king, Mara of Aremond must win a tournament—and she won’t let anyone stop her from claiming the prize. Especially not Strax, the barbarian warrior who has tormented her every step of the way. But when a sorcerer’s trap binds them together, Mara must decide whether Strax is her greatest enemy, or if everything she seeks can only be found in ...more
Published September 9th 2019 (first published June 17th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Midnight Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Midnight Bride

Start your review of The Midnight Bride (The Dead Lands, #2)
Rachel
5 Love is Magic Stars

So much sweetness and heart!

This story takes place in the same world as "The Midwinter Mail-Order Bride," (which I also loved) and features a strong, fierce barbarian warlord and a courageous, determined noblewoman.

The story is short, but packed with adventure and an amazing amount of emotion. I absolutely adored Strax, Keeper of the Secret Oath, son of the Fang Clan of The Dead Lands, who is so smitten with Mara that he will do *anything* to pro
Gi's Spot Reviews
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

I listened to the professionally narrated audiobook on the Read Me Romance Podcast for FREE!
Stacie
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
4+ "Cherry Blossom" Stars!

This was a really fun adventure. It's a very short, but complete story. I like both main characters and was so happy for them in the end. I really like Kati Wilde. I can't wait for her full length novel she has coming soon in The Dead Lands world. Happy reading!
Romance_reader
Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it
This book delivered exactly what I was expecting from it - steamy, fantasy erotica with likeable protagonists. Kati Wilde is definitely one of the better smut writers out there. However, I have to say I liked the first book in the series more; but this is good enough.
Steph's Romance Book Talk
3 Stars / 3 Steam Fans

This was a weird one for me. Not amazing but not awful either, just maybe not for me.

This specific video review will be included in the June 2019 wrap-up.

For other video book reviews check out my YouTube channel: Steph's Romance Book Talk.

(Review may be edited at a later date)
Mara
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: subscription
I just love this series of fantasy romance novellas-- they have just enough worldbuilding to give me a light fantasy flavor, plus I love this whole fantasy barbarian trope. This series has been a big hit for me this year
Laura Elizabeth
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved the previous books in this series. So, I was excited to get an ARC for this book. The only disappointment in this one was that it was really short and we already sorta know the outcome from the last book. Strax is just fabulous and Mara is thankfully a smart girl , who is motivated by love to save her family. This is a lovely little fairy tale and I look forward to more of them. 🤞
Tracy  C
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. A great PNR world. I wish we had more of their story
Ivy Deluca
description
3.5-4 stars
When Mid-Winter Mail Order Bride came out, I will admit I was someone who didn’t think I’d be impressed but I absolutely was. The blend of action-adventure road trip with solid romance, was a sleeper hit for me. Now, Ms. Wilde has written another story set in the same ‘verse but featuring new characters, a new challenge (or in this case, a gauntlet) and lots o' smutty-fun sex to keep me turning the page.

There is something about Ms. Wilde’s writing, especially the narrative bits, that I can clearly hear
Judy Lewis
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
SHORT & SWEET BUT PACKS A MAGICALLY DELICIOUS PUNCH!!!
The Midnight Bride
Series: The Dead Lands
Author: Kati Wilde
Designation: Book 2 of Collection, Novella Length, Standalone, No Cliffhanger #fantasy #romance
My Rating: Five Fabulous Stars*****

I’m a relatively new Kati Wilde fan, having only discovered her work a few months ago via a recommendation from one of my favorite authors, Ruby Dixon, but I am sooo enamored with her writing! Her prose is absolu
Xerxia
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’ve mostly ignored the ‘read me a romance’ podcast and audiobooks because let’s be honest, most of them suck. But I couldn’t ignore the allure of an author who is quickly becoming one of my favourites. And while the podcast still sucks, this book was a little gem.

No one writes cunnilingus quite like Kati Wilde. Her protagonists always adore eating their heroines out, and I certainly like that in a romance novel hero. I also love that while she’s writing barbarian warriors, these are heroes who
2 stars.

I listened to it for free on the Read Me Romance podcast.
-  Michelle Claypot_Reads
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a fantastic addition to this series. I think I might have even enjoyed it more than book one. Crazy quest, dash of action & a dash of sweet. It’s a fun, quick read & the Strax is more than a bit yum!
Megan
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I adored this tasty nugget of a novella! This fantasy world the author has created is fun, and fascinating, and I can't get enough.

Mara of Aremond is on a mission, literally. She must win a seemingly impossible tournament to collect an ancient relic, and turn it over to the tyrant king of her nation, in order to save her family. The king, Solegius, is a sorcerer, with powerful dark magics, and she's afraid for her family's safety if she fails. Plus, failing pretty much equals death, so she is highly motiva
Resch Reads
Jun 30, 2019 rated it liked it
I have been in a major book funk lately, so I've been working my way through the Read Me Romance backlog I have of books. They are quick and I can listen to them at work, so it's a win, win. This book was interesting, I don't think I've listened to or read something this high fantasy before. It was a hybrid between barbarian, historical, fantasy, and romance. And to be honest, I am having some mixed feeling about it.

So I shall start off with what I liked, I liked that Mara and Strax
Kate Hastings
🎧 Read Me Romance 🎧

ѧṅȏṭһєя ѧẇєṡȏṃє ԀєѧԀ ʟѧṅԀṡ ѧԀṿєṅṭȗяє!

Yassss! Sooo freakin’ good! I had a blast being back in Kati Wilde’s Dead Lands. Not only is this fantasy romance world intriguing and richly developed, these Barbarian’s of hers are just something else.

Strax is warrior-alpha AF in a way that’s so low on bullshit he’s sardonically pragmatic, making him unintentionally hilarious and oh so sexy.

Not to be overshadowed, Kati’s heroine’s are a match for their
Kelly
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Barbarian warriors who find their special someone and (slightly) bumble their attempts at wooing are...apparently my new thing. This doesn't really surprise me because that sounds like it's exactly up my alley, but it wasn't something that was on my radar until this series. It's official now, though. Insanely competent barbarians who like more than a little bloodshed and mayhem and find their match in fierce women are now my thing.

Which brings us to Strax and Mara. Strax has that who
Book Snob Sue
Huge Kati Wilde fan and I absolutely love this world she has created. Strax is a tough as nails warrior and Mara is a little spitfire on a quest, obviously there are a few "obstacles" in the quest, this is a tough world they live in with magic everywhere and people abusing it. Love, love this fantasy world. Mara finds herself in a bit of a situation, Strax comes in like the badass he is and saves her. But their journey has many obstacles to overcome, and makes for a great story.

This is a safe r
Lara
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2019
I don't like audio books, and I don't like podcasts. So why did I listen to this story? Well, when you're desperately awaiting the latest book release (thanks a lot, Amazon), you tend to do crazy things.

The female narrator reminded me of a Disney Princess. I just...hearing coarse language in a voice similar to Snow White's is all kinds of weird. And the male narrator? He seemed...to think...the hero went...to the William...Shatner...School of...Speaking. None of the other characters
Kimberly / Love Notes Book Blog
3.25-3.5 stars. Quickie review- This was another audiobook I listened to on the Read Me Romance podcast. This book was pretty good, but it wasn't my favorite listen. This book is a fantasy romance and it reads like a historical in the language style. I found the language difficult to get into in audiobook form. I enjoyed the story but I think for books written in old style language, I can follow what is going on a little better when I read the book. Still, this was a pretty good book in general. ...more
Lindap
Jun 28, 2019 rated it liked it
3 Stars

***Read Me Romance podcast***

For a novella I thought the author did a pretty good job with this story. It was different and I liked that. I enjoy many different sub-genres in the romance world and it's fun to dabble in a variety of storylines.
Katherine
Ancient, magical setting, with barbarians. A good story, but felt rushed. Very crude language, consistent with the setting, so it worked for me, but listener beware.

Part of Read Me Romance podcast.
Sandra Aaron
Sep 10, 2019 rated it liked it
This is an OK fantasy romance, and I liked that it finished out the story of Strax and his brother Aruk (from Pretty Bride). But it was just too short to have as much character development as I like. I needed more backstory on both Strax and Mara.

Some parts of this story were absolutely ridiculous, because they were totally impossible -- but the author does warn the reader about that in the book description, so I didn't mind. It was also fun, and I suspect the author purposely pushed
Christie
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
PLOT:
Mara has entered a tournament to battle for a magical gauntlet which she needs in order to save her family, who have been enslaved by an evil tyrant. She is perceived as much weaker than her fellow male competitors and is trailing them in the competition. The only competitor behind her is Strax, who is under a blood oath to protect the gauntlet at all costs. He is last on purpose as he plans to intercept any returning competitor who gets the gauntlet. Although they start as enemies, t
Jill S (Love Affair With Fiction)
Full of action, danger, magic and two people who need to learn to trust each other — The Midnight Bride is a fast, fun, steamy read that packs a punch.

I absolutely love the fantasy world that Kati Wilde has created here. I am mesmerized by how Kati deals with and explains magic in this series. Her prose in the book is flowing and befitting a fantasy yet still super easy to read.

Mara is a strong heroine. Off to win an impossible tournament to save those she loves. Strax ha
Susana
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book.

It's a short story full of romance, steamy encounters. It has hot, sexy and beautiful characters
and an interesting plot because of the target the main characters are meant to achieve.

They start being strangers and bit a bit start getting on well, it's from rivals to lovers and more. Their adventure bring themselves to probe their true feelings about each other and what they feel about others. Do they want power, glory, justice, honor,...? They h
Elysian Fields
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs, favorites
This author is always a one click for me, I can't tell you how many times she’s pushed me out of my reading comfort zone (not traditionally a fan of fantasy romance), to fall in love with something new. This novella is a perfect example of that.

This is a pretty classic story written with amazing characters, steamy scenes and a world to get lost in. Mara must win a tournament to save her family, but along the way there is an evil dictator tyrant king, a handsome warrior, action and passion. The
Lauren
3.5 Stars
The midnight bride is a story that was featured on the read me romance podcast. This story is short, fast paced and an entertaining read. I read this book in one sitting and was satisfied throughout. I found the writing style easy to follow, the characters likeable and the storyline entertaining.
In order to save her family, Mara needs to take part in a dangerous challenge. It’s Styx job to watch over Mara but not help her. Along the way, Styx falls for Mara but will he be able to let
JodyL
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Love only needed one, but trust took two."

"Love only needed one, but trust took two." This is a quote from the book, which explains everything.
Mara and Strax enter a tournament. Mara needs to get the gauntlet in order to save her family and her people from the evil sorcerer king who has them imprisoned. While Strax has sworn a blood oath to not let the gauntlet fall into the hands of anyone who wants to use it wrongly.
Along the more than six month journey they start caring for e
« previous 1 3 next »

• Balls Out
  • When She's Ready
  • Smolder (Guardian Protection, #2.5)
  • The Duke's Twin: A Regency Short Story
  • Tempt the Ex (Tempt, #2.5)
  • Find Her
  • Something About a Hot Guy
  • Plumbing the Virgin
  • Keane: Time of my Life
  • Definitely Kinky
  • Date Night
  • The Virgin Roommate (Virgin Marriage, #3)
  • The Football Pants Chronicles
  • One Last Chance (King Family, #4.5)
  • She's the One (Castile Family, #4)
  • Sweeter
  • Rough Sketch
  • My Only One
Kati Wilde is a tight-lipped, loose-hipped woman of indeterminate age and low breeding. Born into a very large family, she now has a very small family (no laws were broken in this transition), and she writes romantic fiction to assuage her darker urge to write Transformers erotica. She lives in Oregon, so most of you are safely far enough away, and has two old cats.

Kati writes the Hell

The Dead Lands (4 books)
  • The Midwinter Mail-Order Bride (The Dead Lands #1; Mail-Order Brides #4)
  • Pretty Bride (Rags to Riches #3; The Dead Lands #3)
  • The Midsummer Bride (The Dead Lands #4)